Acts 2:38 has been abandoned by Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
. Even if a person were to stand in the baptismal pool and confess Jesus is Lord and hear the words "I baptize you in the name of the father, the son, and the Holy Spirit" and even if that person is pushed under the water, he or she doesn't actually know the result

Hello Candy,

I respectfully disagree. In the sacraments we have objective certainy that they convey the Grace which they also signify.
So has the Church taught for 2000 years..

Any community that ceases to baptise, will cease to bear fruit for the Kingdom..

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

Last edited:

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its so sad we have perverted a word to the point we can not interpret scripture correctly
Agreed. Especially when baptism is wilfully ignored in Acts 16.
14 A woman named Lydia was listening; she was a seller of purple fabrics from the city of Thyatira, and a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to the things spoken by Paul. 15 Now when she and her household had been baptized, she urged us, saying, “If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house and stay.” And she prevailed upon us.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed. Especially when baptism is wilfully ignored in Acts 16.
14 A woman named Lydia was listening; she was a seller of purple fabrics from the city of Thyatira, and a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to the things spoken by Paul. 15 Now when she and her household had been baptized, she urged us, saying, “If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house and stay.” And she prevailed upon us.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
John 3 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whoever BELIEVES shall never perish but has eternal life. He who believes has life he who does not believe shall not see life but the wrath of God abides in him

Mark 16 is either talking about spirit baptism. or most likely was added at a later date. If baptism was so important Jesus himself forgot to tell us.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 3 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whoever BELIEVES shall never perish but has eternal life. He who believes has life he who does not believe shall not see life but the wrath of God abides in him

Mark 16 is either talking about spirit baptism. or most likely was added at a later date. If baptism was so important Jesus himself forgot to tell us.
That last sentence is a falsehood.
Why would you wilfully misrepresent Jesus words?
And just as sad, wilfully ignore the fact Jesus was baptized in water before he began his work.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned. The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely essential to salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief, not on a lack of baptism. So salvation rests on belief. *NOWHERE does the Bible say "baptized or condemned."

If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then why did Jesus not mention it in the following verses? (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26). What is the one requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements? *BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptized means to be immersed into as in water. But water baptism is symbolic for being immersed into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Being in Christ is being baptized in His name. Water doesn't save anyone, it is just an outward physical expression, A public declaration of an inward spiritual union. Water is not spiritual and therefore does nothing. We are obedient and demonstrate our belief in this public ritual, but water does nothing to the spirit. The Word transforms, the Holy Spirit converts, then we are in Christ.
The thief in the cross next to Jesus was not water baptized, yet he was a believer and confessed, therefore was saved.
To get into Christ his actual name must be spoken upon baptism.

I would not marry a bride that would not take my name.

The bride of Christ is baptized in the specific name(Jesus) of the groom.

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A very creative interpretation of Acts 2:38 indeed. Seems more like a pre-requesite to me. I do not believe in magic, magical water or magical words.
Acts 2:38(Jesus' spoken name) is magic?

Black magic or white magic?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. No one ignores it
2. true believers interpret it correctly as written in Greek
3. True believers also do not try to replace the baptism of God with the baptism of man, which would be considered blasphemy of the spirit. Be warned.
The bulk of Christianity ignores it entirely.

They wish Acts 2:38 and it's adherents would go away and never return.

They are the daughters of the RCC.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already explained Acts 2:38 to you and there is no shame in properly harmonizing scripture with scripture before reaching your conclusion on doctrine. In Acts 16:30, the question was asked, “what must I do to be saved?” and in verse 31, we see the answer - “believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved..” Not get water baptized and you will be saved.
What would you have told the 3000 at Pentecost if you were Peter?

Exactly what Peter said in verse 38 or something different?

Please elaborate, thanks.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned. The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely essential to salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief, not on a lack of baptism. So salvation rests on belief. *NOWHERE does the Bible say "baptized or condemned."

If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then why did Jesus not mention it in the following verses? (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26). What is the one requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements? *BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
You attempt to ignore that Jesus was the teacher by example of his word.
Jesus was God. Yet, Jesus was baptized before beginning his ministry on earth. And culminating with his sacrifice, death, on the cross. The shedding of his blood sealing the new covenant.
If baptism has nothing to do with our salvation path, he who was sinless would not have asked John the Baptizer to immerse him in the water.
That, when he was risen from the waters, began the work for which he was born. And that John foresaw when witnessing Jesus walking toward him on the shore where even before Jesus' arrival John did minister and baptize.
Behold they Lamb of God who takes upon himself the sins of the world.

It is false eternally for anyone to claim Jesus did not teach the importance of baptism to salvation.
Baptism is an outward sign of an inward faith. A faith and covenant entered into that washed us clean of our sins, lays to rest the old man,woman, in the grave of the world. That we arise as a new creation, renewed, regenerated, in the love and light of our father. Our sins, and former fallen self separated from the father by our worldly nature, is now buried like into Jesus in the tomb.
And when we rise from the waters again, having been born of water into a fallen world, we are reborn in him. And redeemed of our sins.

Deny the importance of baptism as you prefer.
What you cannot do is ignore Jesus' example when, before any believer in him, he, who was sinless, was baptized.

If baptism is of no import, did Jesus waste his and John's time? Or rather, did Jesus lead, from the beginning and unto the conclusion of his earthly ministry, by example.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Candy,

I respectfully disagree. In the sacraments we have objective certainy that they convey the Grace which they also signify.
So has the Church taught for 2000 years..

Any community that ceases to baptise, will cease to bear fruit for the Kingdom..

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!
Thank you for your blessing.

With regard to objective certainty, we can think of several examples of ways that we can be absolutely certain. For instance, Litmus indicator solution turns red in acidic solutions and blue in alkaline solutions. If we want to know the PH of a solution with certainty, all we need to do is test it with litmus paper.

Can you name a sacrament that proves God has justified someone? or do we take it "on faith?"

In the long run, I agree with your main idea. We should all get baptized and never discourage anyone from it. I created a video on baptism if you would like to see it.

Blessings to you also Philip.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What would you have told the 3000 at Pentecost if you were Peter?

Exactly what Peter said in verse 38 or something different?

Please elaborate, thanks.
I have no problem with what Peter said in Acts 2:38. Just your misinterpretation of what Peter said that is not in harmony with (Luke 24:47; Acts 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18).

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That last sentence is a falsehood.
Why would you wilfully misrepresent Jesus words?
Misrepresent his words? I posted his words in John 3. He never mentioned baptism. So he would not contradict himself and add it in Mark
And just as sad, wilfully ignore the fact Jesus was baptized in water before he began his work.
Ahh. So jesus needed baptized to be saved? :(

Reactions: mailmandan

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You missed the scriptures message entirely.
And while implying those who you judge as disagreeing with you are not saved.
Shame on you.

I implied nothing of the sort, but I did prove by scriptures that water baptism is for those already saved, and not to be saved,

BTW if water baptism is for salvation, then Jesus was saved by having John baptize Him, especially since Johns baptism was for repentance.

You need to rethink your baptism dogma.

And Paul said God sent him, not to baptize, but to preach the gospel.

If water baptism is our co-savior, it would have been included in the salvation gospel that God sent him to preach.

Last edited:

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Misrepresent his words? I posted his words in John 3. He never mentioned baptism. So he would not contradict himself and add it in Mark

Ahh. So jesus needed baptized to be saved? :(
I never said that. Your mind conjured that thought.

The holy spirit told us of Jesus baptism.

What spirit is active in seeking to invalidate baptism in God's plan?

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:38 is before Acts 3.

You skipped Acts 2:38.

Very naughty.

You have to consider all scriptures on a topic, not just the ones that fit your dogma.

Had you been paying close attention, I was responding to the acts 2:38 proof text, that says REPENT and be baptized for remission of sins, by showing scriptures that make clear that repentance is what remits sins, not water.

Acts 3:19 - repent and be converted to have your sins forgiven- no water found there, but forgiveness from repentance IS found there.

Acts 10, those Peter preached to were saved by faith before being baptized.

Paul said He was sent, NOT TO BAPTIZE, but to preach the gospel - if water was our co-savior, then water baptism would have been included in the salvation gospel Paul was sent to preach.

If water baptism isn’t symbolic, but is for salvation, then Jesus was saved when He had John baptize Him - especially since Johns baptism was for repentance.

You need to rethink the dogma that water is our co-savior.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful