Acts 2:44

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good post, Grace.

Reason I started this thread is because I visited a coffee shop for lunch in Chilliwack BC which is operated by
a Christian group who are living together on a piece of property.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Twelve Tribes is a confederation of twelve self-governing tribes, composed of self-governing communities. We are disciples of the Son of God whose name in Hebrew is Yahshua. We follow the pattern of the early church in Acts 2:44 and 4:32, truly believing everything that is written in the Old and New Covenants of the Bible, and sharing all things in common."

Yellow Deli in Chilliwack, BC:
The Twelve Tribes | Our Life and Beliefs

The Twelve Tribes |

I know the tribes up here in Canada. And they know me. My wife and I considered joining up with them many years ago. But we saw through their facade soon after meeting with them. There is no Holy Spirit in what they do...it's like they are trying to be in a movie about Jesus and making that a permanent lifestyle. No spiritual life or understanding of spiritual things...at all. So we didn't join...although for years we kept contact with some of them...and also some of they who had left the tribes.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I know the tribes up here in Canada. And they know me. My wife and I considered joining up with them many years ago. But we saw through their facade soon after meeting with them. There is no Holy Spirit in what they do...it's like they are trying to be in a movie about Jesus and making that a permanent lifestyle. No spiritual life or understanding of spiritual things...at all. So we didn't join...although for years we kept contact with some of them...and also some of they who had left the tribes.

I can relate to what you say...in the movement we were in we sadly saw many people 'lose sight' of the spiritual side of why we were there together and Who we were gathering unto...it the conversations soon focussed around which sleeping bag was best for minus 40 , which bull to breed our cows to , and which tractor we should buy... ( this was the year we lived in community in the Bush 100 miles north of Ft St John.)

But in the community houses and acreages we had down around Edmonton the togetherness was all about Him...except when we were discussing the grocery list :D

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Interesting responses.
I never talked to any of the members, I only visited the coffee shop which seems
to be a local hangout for a lot of people who actually don't belong to the group.
I noticed their brochures and took some of them home and studied their writing.
I did not discover any cult like (whatever that means) doctrines.
Truthfully.. when I read some Christian churches doctrines I believe some are borderline cults.
I did visit a few Hutterite Colonies on the Canadian prairies and yes, I can see people living that way,
but I don't think I could fit in at all.
Interesting all of this, and I do believe they are Christian.
As said here before by some of you, there's a lot wrong in the mainline christian churches as well.

Just my two cents.

I DO respect the people who manage to live this way and can stick to their system as described in their flyers.

Praise God.

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
At one time there was a group active in 100 Mile House BC.
They were "The Emmisaries of Devine Light" (spelling?)
They owned most of the town including the local newspaper.
I considered them a "cult" as there teaching about Jesus was not biblical at all.
They followed a "Lord", who came from England and started buying property there before WW2.
I knew them very well because I had business dealings with them.
Honest people, always paid their bills etc, but sincerely off the right track.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Triumph1300
Bless you my friend for bringing this to us so well. The "truth" is that without Him we do not know the truth and cannot work further in His direction.

All of the years I have spent among "them" leaves me now in a quandary when I let my brain try to figure it all out... But now for a little over a year, I have been outside [what does this mean?] all of those places [although none just like the ones you and @"ByGrace" have described] which men have formed and continue to form. In the beginning of each of them [in this I would include all of denominational and so called non-denominational groups] most, if not all, of them had a grain of truth and were started in a right direction. But as has been explained already by others, men on their own were on the scene, or would soon be on the scene, and the result is a mixture of the things of men with the things of God which in the end cannot work the work of God perfectly.

Jesus said this:

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matt 5:48

How do we get there? We have experience in the wrong ways, but does anyone know the right Way? It is written:

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." Acts 4:12

So simple really, but who understands what is meant by "salvation", the "name...given" and being "saved"? God certainly does... and is He really keeping it all secret from us? No, I don't believe so... so then why the apparent confusion and/or disagreements on how to proceed? God gave me another familiar verse just now...

"And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues." Rev 18:4

But what does He mean by "her"? Lots arguments everywhere it seems for a long time, as men understand time, including on this forum about that. Her equals... Some family? Some church? Some denomination? Some mixed up group of believers? Babylon? Confusion?

"Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." Phil 2:12

So then work it out all by your self?

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." Matt 7:7-8

So then again to the OP:

"And all that believed were together, and had all things common;" Acts 2:44

Now we understand it perfectly, right?

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:44

What exactly does this scripture mean to you?
How does it apply to our christian way of living today?

I is exactly what it states, these were believers, that supported each other for the good of the body, but also as a witness to the outsiders, as to see the Love for each other maintained within the Body.
Unfortunately in todays Church there is more concern for the place of worship, than those in need!
Where I live, especially this time of year, when many homeless? people that choose to be free of employment, that tend to thrive on the compassion of others, it is difficult to know who to help, those that really need. So I myself hold to the commandment to reach out to those that actually ask, and then give to their need, and with Scriptural advice, testimony!

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Now we understand it perfectly, right?

Great post, Amadeus.
Thank you for posting.
Looks like we'r on the same page.

I have heard one explanation by a preacher about this scripture which went as follow:

The reason these people shared everything was because
they were severely persecuted and many were fired from their jobs because
they were christians. This way they would survive the terrible circumstances."

I do not believe this was the reason for sharing.
I believe they really wanted to follow Jesus' teaching.

But hey, lol, who am I..... :) One thing is for sure,
there is a lot wrong in the present day body of Christ.

Praise God for all He's doing in my life!
I went through severe tragedy, but Jesus brought me
through it all and got me back on my feet.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great post, Amadeus.
Thank you for posting.
Looks like we'r on the same page.

I have heard one explanation by a preacher about this scripture which went as follow:

they were severely persecuted and many were fired from their jobs because
they were christians. This way they would survive the terrible circumstances."

I do not believe this was the reason for sharing.
I believe they really wanted to follow Jesus' teaching.

But hey, lol, who am I..... :) One thing is for sure,
there is a lot wrong in the present day body of Christ.

Praise God for all He's doing in my life!
I went through severe tragedy, but Jesus brought me
through it all and got me back on my feet.

So very happy for you Gary :)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
they were severely persecuted and many were fired from their jobs

This made me smile because only yesterday Dave said to me...
When reading the bible, esp the NT it never seems like anyone worked.
Wherever Jesus was there was a crowd ...5,000 in the feeding on the mountain...that a lot of people not working...they seem to be always milling around... :D

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This made me smile because only yesterday Dave said to me...
When reading the bible, esp the NT it never seems like anyone worked.
In any narrative, whether factual or fictional, the author does not present the mundane. The presence of Jesus of Nazareth doing His miracles would bring out crowds today. They would abandon their jobs and go to see Him.

Note: Today that is what happens also when rock stars show up and the madness begins. People pay exorbitant sums to watch games and concerts. Entertainment is probably the biggest business on the planet.

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Interesting responses.
I never talked to any of the members, I only visited the coffee shop which seems
to be a local hangout for a lot of people who actually don't belong to the group.
I noticed their brochures and took some of them home and studied their writing.
I did not discover any cult like (whatever that means) doctrines.
Truthfully.. when I read some Christian churches doctrines I believe some are borderline cults.
I did visit a few Hutterite Colonies on the Canadian prairies and yes, I can see people living that way,
but I don't think I could fit in at all.
Interesting all of this, and I do believe they are Christian.
As said here before by some of you, there's a lot wrong in the mainline christian churches as well.

Just my two cents.

I DO respect the people who manage to live this way and can stick to their system as described in their flyers.

Praise God.
ppl rotate through them just like our congregations though i guess