Addicted to just about everything

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angel

May 16, 2016
I am addicted to cigarettes, soda, roleplaying and skype. I guess that I must have an addictive personality. Please help me quit!

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
Angel said:
I am addicted to cigarettes, soda, roleplaying and skype. I guess that I must have an addictive personality. Please help me quit!
No joke. You need no help. You can help yourself. A lot of christian I know blame the devil when they sin. "They devil temps me" "Why Lord? Why the devil make me sin?", "It is the devil's fault, if it wasn't for him I won't sin". God will only tell those wolfs, "you let him in your life".

Angel

May 16, 2016
davidnelson said:
No joke. You need no help. You can help yourself. A lot of christian I know blame the devil when they sin. "They devil temps me" "Why Lord? Why the devil make me sin?", "It is the devil's fault, if it wasn't for him I won't sin". God will only tell those wolfs, "you let him in your life".
and if I am simply Lazarus the beggar?

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
Angel said:
and if I am simply Lazarus the beggar?
Look at Lazarus' character. Are you willing to repent? If you love God do you love what God hates?

You help yourself by acknowledging God, repeat have faith. Take up the cross and crucifying the flesh. If you wish to come to Jesus, you must deny yourself.

Angel

May 16, 2016
davidnelson said:
Look at Lazarus' character. Are you willing to repent? If you love God do you love what God hates?

You help yourself by acknowledging God, repeat have faith. Take up the cross and crucifying the flesh. If you wish to come to Jesus, you must deny yourself.
I just have a little bad luck is all.

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
I will pray for you.

1 John 5:17-20
All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that does not lead to death. We know that everyone who has God as his Father does not go on sinning; on the contrary, the Son born of God protects him, and the Evil One does not touch him. We know that we are from God, and that the whole world lies in the power of the Evil One. And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us discernment, so that we may know who is genuine; moreover, we are united with the One who is genuine, united with his Son Jesus the Messiah. He is the genuine God and eternal life.

Tiny

Nov 29, 2014
Angel said:
I am addicted to smoking, coffee, and the internet. I figured I must have an addictive personality also.

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
Angel said:
you need the rosary

those addictions are the worst, except an addiction to mortal sin that is

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Angel said:
Hi Angel! I struggle with sugar addiction. I think the struggle will go on while I'm breathing...it's hard. But I think the only wrong thing to do is to give up and give in to these things. I'm not sure if you are a Christian or not, but I think the closer we come to God, the less the things of this world drag on us. So, when I'm struggling with being overwhelmed by the world, spending time in prayer and reading the bible really help. Listening to Christian music helps too.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Hi Angel! I struggle with sugar addiction. I think the struggle will go on while I'm breathing...it's hard. But I think the only wrong thing to do is to give up and give in to these things. I'm not sure if you are a Christian or not, but I think the closer we come to God, the less the things of this world drag on us. So, when I'm struggling with being overwhelmed by the world, spending time in prayer and reading the bible really help. Listening to Christian music helps too.
The best book by far, for anyone who is able to cook for themselves; is From the First Bite; A Complete Guide to Recovery From Food Addiction. by Kay Sheppard MA. This book provides everything you need to get off sugar in all of its forms. She has a yahoo group online and a Facebook page as well for support and you can probably find a Recovery from food addiction (RFA) group near you as well for even more support.

Her method is scientific and sound. Basically, our bodies are like hybrid automobiles. The food is fuel that is burned or stored as fat. If we eat sugar, we store a lot of fat. If we stop putting sugar into our bodies, the body switches from a sugar burning mode to a "ketonic" or fat burning mode. It is quite remarkable how fast the fat begins to burn off when this happens. The best part is that within a week or two all cravings for sugar are gone, and the food tastes great! There is a learning curve when it comes to reading labels, but after a few weeks it becomes second nature. I lost over 150 lbs. in less than a year.

heavenforbid

Feb 9, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Angel said:
Just quit the unhealthy stuff, that should help.

How?

With this quote

"Face the pain of giving up the addiction now, or the agony that will come later."

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Addiction is, in my understanding, an attempt to numb inner pain caused by soul wounds that can be caused by your own sinning, wrongs done to you, and by the enemy. "But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds, we are healed." Isaiah 53:5 NIV

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To put it in a nutshell, you need to learn what Jesus meant when He said that if we want to follow Him, we need to 1. Deny self and 2. Take up YOUR cross and 3. Follow wherever He leads. This is the process of dying to self. There is more to this but God doesn't want to make everything too easy. Scripture says that it is the glory of God to hide a matter and the glory of kings to search it out. You can be free from bondage. And please don't fall under guilt and condemnation from anyone. "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus," If we have accepted Christ, this means you and I. Romans 8:1 NIV
If you will, let me tell you how I see salvation. We are 3-part beings made in the image of a 3-part God. We are spirit, soul, and body.
Justification: When we first believe we are sinners and receive Christ's atonement for our sin, as in John 3:16, we are found, in God's court of law, innocent. At this time, our spirit is reborn of incorruptible seed. This means your spirit is no longer able to sin. Which leads to:
Sanctification: This is where we get healed and free. This process deals with our soul, which consists of mind, will, and emotions. There is some groundwork to do and then it is mainly a matter of practicing our daily cross. When we practice this, we move from being believers to being disciples. The word I won't use to describe this is "easy." But His grace will get us through.
All of this is powered by God's Spirit and all of this is based on His word. Whichever translation you prefer. If you don't know, go to Biblehub on your search engine. They have a whole lot of translations on one page. Your addictive personality is in truth called the sinful nature, the carnal nature, the old man, or the flesh. This flesh is not our flesh and blood. I think it's a poor translation and really means the soul. Unless when it actually means flesh and blood. It can be confusing. At the core of the soul is the human heart. "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?" Jeremiah 17:9 King James Version. Finally, we talk about our bodies:
Glorification: When Jesus returns, it is called the resurrection. Some call it the rapture. He will cause us to be caught up in the clouds with Him and when we see Him as He is, we will receive our eternal bodies. The word also says that we will be with Jesus forever. And this is what I'm looking forward to.
I hope I've been able to help you. Once you figure out who to listen to, this is a very good site with a lot of Christian maturity and wisdom on it. Until we meet again, shalom. (which means, "may you receive all of God blessing and promises")

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To put it in a nutshell, you need to learn what Jesus meant when He said that if we want to follow Him, we need to 1. Deny self and 2. Take up YOUR cross and 3. Follow wherever He leads. This is the process of dying to self. There is more to this but God doesn't want to make everything too easy. Scripture says that it is the glory of God to hide a matter and the glory of kings to search it out. You can be free from bondage. And please don't fall under guilt and condemnation from anyone. "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus," If we have accepted Christ, this means you and I. Romans 8:1 NIV
If you will, let me tell you how I see salvation. We are 3-part beings made in the image of a 3-part God. We are spirit, soul, and body.
Justification: When we first believe we are sinners and receive Christ's atonement for our sin, as in John 3:16, we are found, in God's court of law, innocent. At this time, our spirit is reborn of incorruptible seed. This means your spirit is no longer able to sin. Which leads to:
Sanctification: This is where we get healed and free. This process deals with our soul, which consists of mind, will, and emotions. There is some groundwork to do and then it is mainly a matter of practicing our daily cross. When we practice this, we move from being believers to being disciples. The word I won't use to describe this is "easy." But His grace will get us through.
All of this is powered by God's Spirit and all of this is based on His word. Whichever translation you prefer. If you don't know, go to Biblehub on your search engine. They have a whole lot of translations on one page. Your addictive personality is in truth called the sinful nature, the carnal nature, the old man, or the flesh. This flesh is not our flesh and blood. I think it's a poor translation and really means the soul. Unless when it actually means flesh and blood. It can be confusing. At the core of the soul is the human heart. "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?" Jeremiah 17:9 King James Version. Finally, we talk about our bodies:
Glorification: When Jesus returns, it is called the resurrection. Some call it the rapture. He will cause us to be caught up in the clouds with Him and when we see Him as He is, we will receive our eternal bodies. The word also says that we will be with Jesus forever. And this is what I'm looking forward to.
I hope I've been able to help you. Once you figure out who to listen to, this is a very good site with a lot of Christian maturity and wisdom on it. Until we meet again, shalom. (which means, "may you receive all of God blessing and promises")

Beautiful advice and wisdom here Ron. I don't think she has been on since May of 2016.

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Now that you mention it, I don't think she has either. Oops. Lol Maybe someone else might need to see it. Shalom.

Reactions: Mayflower