Advice Needed on 2 Corinthians 12

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi guys, am hoping someone might be able to offer some advice on 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

If you're struggling in a situation of ill health with a ton of family demands at the same time, how can you see these verses as practical?
I have faith that God is with me, and I draw a sense of emotional comfort from these verses, but I struggle to understand them "on the ground", if you know what I mean.
How
is God's power made perfect in my weakness? I feel my weakness, I have plenty of it. Is the simple fact of my weakness and that I trust in God what makes his power evident? Or am I to take these verses to mean that God will show up in power to help me if I put my trust in him?
Because I tell you...I could really use some help. But I don't want to be reading into a verse what is not there. I don't want to be waiting on something that God has not promised me. Does that make sense?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it makes very good sense, but you apply these scriptures to your daily life struggles that everyone to some degree or another go through. Thing is Paul is talking about what he goes through as a apostolic minister in the ministry of Grace, and his pursuit of the fulfillment God’s likeness in Christ in him in the Life he has received in Christ Jesus. Hence where he is week God’s nature is more apparent and fulfilled.

To get through troubles one should set their cares before Him and seek Him to provide means even if it be the wisdom and or strength to continue, let alone Him granting favor to take care of it. The guy that went through much in scriptures, and survived was King David. It rains on the righteous as well as the wicked.

simple; if God hears you, then ask.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, you are your own witness, just examine yourself, made it today, yesterday, and you will make it through tommorrow. for you're the same yesterday, today, and tommorrow.

are you getting it now?...........

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi guys, am hoping someone might be able to offer some advice on 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

If you're struggling in a situation of ill health with a ton of family demands at the same time, how can you see these verses as practical?
I have faith that God is with me, and I draw a sense of emotional comfort from these verses, but I struggle to understand them "on the ground", if you know what I mean.
How is God's power made perfect in my weakness? I feel my weakness, I have plenty of it. Is the simple fact of my weakness and that I trust in God what makes his power evident? Or am I to take these verses to mean that God will show up in power to help me if I put my trust in him?
Because I tell you...I could really use some help. But I don't want to be reading into a verse what is not there. I don't want to be waiting on something that God has not promised me. Does that make sense?

I don't know if it will help, but my opinion is this. God is not concerned about delivering you from these hardships and weaknesses. They are there, because He placed them there, as hard as that is to consider at times. They are there to make you suffer. To make you weak. To force your faith to work. There is nothing that has come into your life that He has not sent. Nothing.

When we go through these times we do not walk victoriously and claim God's deliverance. We are hanging on by the skin of our teeth. Our Lord Jesus Christ was put to the place where He finally declared Himself forsaken of God. We do what we can do to better our situation or remove the situation, but usually, if it's of God, it remains. Thus we submit to it.

I am convinced that, concerning Job, that if his experience had been to one of his friends instead of him, then he would have played the role that his friends played with him. But, you can be sure he never would do that after the experience God put him through.

What makes God's power evident is that He will get exactly what He wants out of the experience. Whether it is seen as defeat or victory in your life, is immaterial to God. He uses both to form us. He doesn't require us to be victorious, or successful. He does require us to believe. To trust Him.

Stranger

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi guys, thanks for the answers. I more or less agree, but confirmation is always nice. And I suppose there is always a small level of confusion from what others tell you. Sometimes you struggle to know what is true or not. Sometimes you struggle between what you wish and what you know.

I wish things were easier. I wish that God would show up and take some of these burdens from me. But I know that what I have I have for a reason...probably to make me lean on him more, to trust and love him more. Which is the best reason in the world. It's just hard to sometimes see that when in the mist of it all and when you honestly don't know how you'll take another step. But I suppose I do manage to take another step...that should probably give me some perspective, huh? I think maybe I need to pray for more faith in this situation, and maybe more wisdom.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

I do not know if He will use you as a witness to someone else that is sick or to someone that is not sick or both. It may be that He is leading you to depend on Him when things are looking bleak is what others will be looking to you for, even as a witness to other christians to rely on God all the time even in times when they think they do not need Him. It may be a comfort to know that with Jesus Christ in us, He is with us always no matter what.

Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1 Corinthians 9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

I do not know if He will use you as a witness to someone else that is sick or to someone that is not sick or both. It may be that He is leading you to depend on Him when things are looking bleak is what others will be looking to you for, even as a witness to other christians to rely on God all the time even in times when they think they do not need Him. It may be a comfort to know that with Jesus Christ in us, He is with us always no matter what.

Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Thank you, this post lifted and encouraged me. :)

Reactions: JesusIsFaithful