Paul’s thorn in the flesh

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
2 Corinthians 12:

7 So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations,
That's the purpose of Paul's thorn: to keep him humble. God humbles everyone, including his prophets and servants.

a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me,
It was not literally a thorn. Satan used it to constantly harass Paul. God used Satan to keep Paul humble. It could be some kind of psychological attack. Perhaps that's why Paul wasn't being precise in describing it.

to keep me from becoming conceited. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”
The thorn was a weakness in Paul.

Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
This was how Paul dealt with it practically in contentment.

10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
He looked to the strength of God, not to the thorn.

Reactions: RedRobyn