Against all odds

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does a person's spoken statement that he loves Jesus mean that he really does? Where is the proof of that love?
We are not talking about THEIR SPOKEN STATEMENT.....we are talking about YOUR written statement which was if one loves the truth they love Jesus. You are now suggesting that they are liars since you don't see proof of that love....YOU MAKE ZERO SENSE!!

I truly do not understand your contradicting and cryptic statements....:(

Is it possible for you to answer a question without trying to pretend you are a wise man??? A true wise man's answer's would be dumbed down enough so that the average Christian, like Marymog, would understand them. Are you capable of that?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While what we know and/or believe in this moment may be incomplete or even in error in part does not mean that in the next moment in following the lead of the Holy Ghost we will not know and/or believe with no errors at all. What is impossible for God?

"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:27

People believe things in error because they follow something or someone other than God. When a person follows God continuously in obedience what will ultimately be incomplete or in error
I honestly don't know what to say.....your statements make ZERO sense to me.

You honestly believe after 2,000 years of having scripture in front of us God has not allowed man to completely and correctly interpret scripture with no errors so that we KNOW how to obtain eternal salvation?

Why is your faith in God so lacking?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry but I don't have one of those photographic memories. I don't remember all of your questions but I have taken a lot a time to help you understand where I am and what I believe. I have tried to answer your questions. If you think I missed something important you need to be more specific if you expect much more from me. In the flesh I am tired and don't like playing games here. I really am sincere in where I walk and in how I serve God even if you think I might be deluded. I don't believe that I am, not in the things that count. You'll have to take my word for that ... or not.
You don't have A photographic memory????????????????????? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O That statement makes ZERO sense. Do you know how to look back on previous post???? I suspect you do and you are just, once again, dodging my questions and playing games.

You haven't tried to answer all my questions.....You dodged and danced around them with cryptic (non)answers.

You don't believe you are deluded but you suggest that others are deluded if they disagree with you. You are more than likely never wrong because you go to, or try to go, the lowest room which keeps you out of delusion. What??????????

It all makes ZERO sense to me....I truly don't understand your way of thinking.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary, Mary quite contrary... is there no end to your doubts and your questions and your snares?

Have you no faith in our God? Will He let us fail in our frailty without giving us an opportunity to make it right? Of course if we tempt Him repeatedly when we already know better we are likely to more quickly reach a limit, but the answer to your questions or doubts is found in these words penned by the Apostle Paul:

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." I Cor 10:13
Once again....no answer to my questions which are based on your statements. Which means you can't even defend your own beliefs. 1 Peter 3: 15-16.

Translation.........You can't defend your bizarre and unbiblical statements so you say more bizarre things and misquote scripture to make yourself feel better.

I thought I would try and understand you but I can't.....Your statements throughout this entire conversation are just as bizarre as your statements several months ago when you equated eating and drinking Jesus words with His order to eat His body and drink His blood. Truly confusing and bizarre.

Mary

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I truly don't know what to say. Your cryptic answers (that are really not answers) make ZERO sense to me.
Sorry, I did try.
You lack faith that God gave us the correct number of books OR the correct books to read from so that we can obtain salvation.....I don't know what to say to that except I hope your faith increases and I pray that someday you get to the point that you have FULL faith in God.
I do have faith that God has put me on the right road and that He will always lead me if I will keep my eyes on Him. He also me in what I read and He within me quickens what He will quicken. I own copies also of all those books which some men other than Catholics often reject. I have read them also as God led me that way. I also own several books with writing by what are usually known as the early church fathers. Those also I have read at times. I try not to reject things because others have chosen to do so. Neither will I put limits on what is inspired by God based only on what some man or men believe. God does use men but some men as we already know are in error.
Stephen has Absolutely NOTHING to do with you having confidence that God gave man the correct number of books for the NT.....Your analogy makes ZERO sense.
Stephen lived when? Did he walk or talk with the man of the flesh Jesus before and after the resurrection? What Bible if any did he read? Yet, Stephen apparently based on OT knowledge served God. Whatever he read it was apparently did not decide to do it based on what men were a few centuries were to decide was included in "canon".

You have said this more than once to me about this thing or this person having nothing to do with anoher. But I would ask you are not all of what is written as inspired by God related one part to another.. whether we see or understand all of the connections?

Since @Nancy liked them maybe she can decipher them for me!

Mary
As you wish.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, I did try.

I do have faith that God has put me on the right road and that He will always lead me if I will keep my eyes on Him. He also me in what I read and He within me quickens what He will quicken. I own copies also of all those books which some men other than Catholics often reject. I have read them also as God led me that way. I also own several books with writing by what are usually known as the early church fathers. Those also I have read at times. I try not to reject things because others have chosen to do so. Neither will I put limits on what is inspired by God based only on what some man or men believe. God does use men but some men as we already know are in error.

Stephen lived when? Did he walk or talk with the man of the flesh Jesus before and after the resurrection? What Bible if any did he read? Yet, Stephen apparently based on OT knowledge served God. Whatever he read it was apparently did not decide to do it based on what men were a few centuries were to decide was included in "canon".

You have said this more than once to me about this thing or this person having nothing to do with anoher. But I would ask you are not all of what is written as inspired by God related one part to another.. whether we see or understand all of the connections?

As you wish.
Thank you....

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i've read a couple pretty good arguments that suggest the way Paul used the term "Scripture" is diff than we use it today mostly bc...they did not have fiction back then, writing was tedious and only for a certain caste, and ppl got killed for lying back then, unless they were Roman, until that culture began intruding more iow. Paul likely considered any wisdom literature "Scripture," while at the same time would not consider any to be the final truth, or the only worthy pov. We also have many indications that Paul imported what we now deem Scripture from many outside sources, refs to Stoicism, Greek gods are even invoked when the spirit is correct, etc
Perhaps Paul understood what the Word is as opposed to the word and he identified with how he used the word, Scripture.

I don't even pretend to be familiar with much of man's history as written or not, but if God has always been God as I believe He has then much of what is written by men in whatever culture or tribe or whatever, then those men were influenced by God and any men He used and it is likely to show up in their writings although some will not accept anything they wrote if it goes against what they consider absolute truth or even simply truth.

Such bias makes it hard to communicate with many who do have a measure of belief in God and His Way.

How do we sort in all out correctly? We really do not because we cannot, but again some people are sure [or at least they say they are] that they have it all correctly sorted already and you don't even need to ask some of them. They will be quick to share the information with you. They may even take offence if you are hesitant to jump on their bandwagon.

of course someone will object @ "while at the same time would not consider any to be the final truth, or the only worthy pov," but then when you ask them why Greek and Roman gods are in their Bible they will usually go away
After reading the Bible for so many years I also fail to understand so much. Perhaps if I had been a better student of history in particular in school some of it would make more sense. But then again I believe that it is not all supposed to make sense to the carnal human mind. Doesn't everyone already know that no one can know Jesus if they don't know his name is Jesus and if they have never read a Bible? I frequently return to this verse:

"He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:30

I have to keep on going down while he has t keep on going up. But which direction is which?

the Exodus caused by YHWH is quite possibly the vowel notation that the Israelites invented; YHWH are the four Hebrew: vowels! i guess the Hs are slightly different. Anyway the theory goes that this caused a revolution in knowledge transmission at least as profound as the internet; language could now be written and understood by J Doe, and the hieroglyph code that was formerly only decodable by Egyptian priests and jealously guarded by them was rendered obsolete.
Communication. I am unfamiliar with what you wrote but it is related again to communication and/or the lack thereof. Man has always been involved in it for as long as one man related to or wanted to relate to another. I did not understand your reference to Exodus, but would try to understand if you wanted to clarify
ergo the old wisdom tradition that kept everyone in thrall...a slave to Egypt in a sense was broken, and we can find a record of the decline of Egypt that coincides quite nicely with the theory i guess
Not sure what the theory is supposed to be here. You may need to amplify a bit.
Man has always had his ups and downs and especially those at the top [man's top] have struggled to maintain his place. The people who have been enslaved have sometimes not even known that they were slaves. Are Americans a good example?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are not talking about THEIR SPOKEN STATEMENT.....we are talking about YOUR written statement which was if one loves the truth they love Jesus. You are now suggesting that they are liars since you don't see proof of that love....YOU MAKE ZERO SENSE!!

I truly do not understand your contradicting and cryptic statements....:(

Is it possible for you to answer a question without trying to pretend you are a wise man??? A true wise man's answer's would be dumbed down enough so that the average Christian, like Marymog, would understand them. Are you capable of that?

Mary
I am really sorry that you do not understand what I am saying. We truly at times and places speak different languages. Maybe we need an interpreter.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Communication. I am unfamiliar with what you wrote but it is related again to communication and/or the lack thereof. Man has always been involved in it for as long as one man related to or wanted to relate to another. I did not understand your reference to Exodus, but would try to understand if you wanted to clarify
communication between God and man was restricted to Pharaohs and Priests, and leaving Egypt = overcoming the Law and becoming Priests ourselves, so iow the same theme here really, the overthrow of the educated mediator with sole access to God and the means of communication through time, writing. No one could read hieroglyphs or unpointed Hebrew except the ruling class; the Hebrew introduction of vowels changed all that.

YHWH are the Hebrew vowels of Adonai, something like that, searchable enough anyway, and the point is that what began as a way to avoid pronouncing the Name of God maybe accidentally opened up writing to the masses, similar to the way the internet will cause another revolution, basically the Exodus marks a paradigm shift that really did occur, and Egypt was emptied of Hebrew slaves, etc, but we really still like being in Egypt and having a king to fight our battles and offer us the hope of immortality, right

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
communication between God and man was restricted to Pharaohs and Priests, and leaving Egypt = overcoming the Law and becoming Priests ourselves, so iow the same theme here really, the overthrow of the educated mediator with sole access to God and the means of communication through time, writing. No one could read hieroglyphs or unpointed Hebrew except the ruling class; the Hebrew introduction of vowels changed all that.

YHWH are the Hebrew vowels of Adonai, something like that, searchable enough anyway, and the point is that what began as a way to avoid pronouncing the Name of God maybe accidentally opened up writing to the masses, similar to the way the internet will cause another revolution, basically the Exodus marks a paradigm shift that really did occur, and Egypt was emptied of Hebrew slaves, etc, but we really still like being in Egypt and having a king to fight our battles and offer us the hope of immortality, right
Thanks! I believe I am making the connection...

"But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church;and let him speak to himself, and to God." I Cor 14:28

"Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret." I Cor 14:13

The interpretation is the thing. In the OT the prophets and priests stood between the people and God. They went to one of them in order to communicate with God. It is supposed to be or to become different now, but today we see people leaving it as it was in the OT. We see churches, or especially the ministers and/or priests, serving that same purpose as if Jesus had never come and as if our own interpreter [the Holy Spirit] were not now available to provide a direct line of communication between us and God,

Jesus did open the closed Door, but people are still unwilling to walk through it themselves or they are unwilling to do what is necessary in preparation to allowed to enter in...

They keep on look to new mediators as if Jesus had done nothing at all to provide access, to make direct communication possible.

Where is our interpretation? Who is our interpreter?

"Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works." John 14:9-10