Am I understanding this right? Christians go to Heaven and then return to Earth...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Didn't Jesus go to resurrect the saints and, perhaps, others?
he didn't go to Paradise that day....he was dead in the tomb for a few nights and even had a chat with Mary shortly after his resurrection telling her that he had not yet ascended to his Father.

When Jesus rose others came out of their graves also and met up with people....no doubt they went to heaven sometime afterwards but we are not given any details on this.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I thought, "That's a simple enough question." My dad used to say, "You see what thought did!" Lol Aw man...once again, he was right. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Heart2Soul

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is that odd verse, huh? The one that says, and they saw many of their dead walking around. I think they rose and Jesus took them with Him after that 40 days.

I really like the bible but I don't understand a lot of it.

With that said, and some may find this surprising, my faith in Jesus has nothing to do with the bible. I believe that Jesus blessed me with faith because I have seen and heard him through life experiences.

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Souls are not seperate entities to us any more than being human is...You do not have a soul, you do not have a human....You are a soul, you are a human.

One could say we become human at conception but that would be like saying the house becomes a building when there is only a foundation ....would you call a foundation a building?

Do you believe that we were created (as souls) at conception?

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
he didn't go to Paradise that day....he was dead in the tomb for a few nights

Are you saying that Jesus was DEAD and without thought or consciousness once he died on the cross and that he only resumed to exist upon his resurrection?

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I really like the bible but I don't understand a lot of it.

With that said, and some may find this surprising, my faith in Jesus has nothing to do with the bible. I believe that Jesus blessed me with faith because I have seen and heard him through life experiences.
I used to read the bible a lot. It's in my heart to a certain degree now. Sometimes I read it and it makes no sense. I was led to start reading Romans 7 - 9 and when I did, I almost panicked, but then I remembered that the Lord wanted me to study so I took it easy and almost right away I started remembering things He'd shown me years ago. I ask Him to teach me, mainly. I find this helps me to recognize when someone else knows what they're talking about. But mostly, it's walking with Him. When I remember to listen, I do hear His inner voice. I guess I'm kinda off-thread. :)

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to read the bible a lot. It's in my heart to a certain degree now. Sometimes I read it and it makes no sense. I was led to start reading Romans 7 - 9 and when I did, I almost panicked, but then I remembered that the Lord wanted me to study so I took it easy and almost right away I started remembering things He'd shown me years ago. I ask Him to teach me, mainly. I find this helps me to recognize when someone else knows what they're talking about. But mostly, it's walking with Him. When I remember to listen, I do hear His inner voice. I guess I'm kinda off-thread. :)

I was raised Catholic and I don't ever remember reading from the bible. I'm 54 now and discovered Pastor John MacArthur on YouTube and have enjoyed listening to him reading and explaining various bible verses. I know a lot more than I did, but I'm a long way from being a bible scholar. :)

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was raised by an atheist. I used to think Jesus was the Christmas baby and had something to do with the Easter bunny. I understand John has a lot of solid teaching, though we disagree on some things. But who doesn't, eh? Common ground has become a big thought to me lately. I guess as along as we have the biblical Jesus in common, that's the main thing. I like this site.

Reactions: K9Buck

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I have a crazy question. Does our soul come into existence at conception or before?
Hi again K9Buck. That's actually a Frequently Asked Question, and some Gnostic and Occultic belief systems incorporate the pre-existence of souls, human or non-human, in their corpus of doctrines, but I find such a notion incompatible with Scripture. Man does not become a living soul until physically formed and spiritually vitalised.

Here are some verses to work through.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Gen 3:19 In the sweat of your face shall you eat bread, till you return unto the ground; for out of it were you taken: for dust you are, and unto dust shall you return.

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Zec 12:1
The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, says the LORD, which stretches forth the heavens, and lays the foundation of the earth, and forms the spirit of man within him.

1Co 15:53-54 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. (54) So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

Good question though . . .

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a part of me that believes we originated in heaven in God for eternity.
We are given a chance to experience a physical existence.
Some instead of waiting for an "invitation" to come into this existence.. fall or leave their first estate.
They take humanity upon themselves wanting to make things in their own image.
Their own ways. Their own laws.
There are those who are sent. And those who just are gifted with an experience.
When we die we go back from whence we came and judged according to our experiences and how we handled them.
There are two opposing forces which are evident in all of creation. The ying and yang, opposites, positive/negative, good/evil.
We have freedom to choose which road to take, albeit not everyone sees the crossroads. Some are so intent on the path they chose they can't see an alternate route. They are lost. And some are found.
So the question is...
Once we return to heaven do we come back to earth again..
Now that would be touching on reincarnation...
Ever have that de ja vu feeling... like you been here before?
unfinished business or a second chance or maybe a 7 times 77th chance?
Do we get to choose when where under what circumstances, who are parents are?
Are we already entering and exiting the door to the pasture?
Jhn 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

I just know, when it's time to go home I'll be ready.
And if I had it to do over again... would I make the same mistakes?
Would the road be different? Would I be me?
Am I who I was the last time? Or is this the first time?
So many questions...
I like to think about things like that.
It means possibilities are endless and there is ALWAYS hope.

Hugs

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...at some point? Right? When do we leave Heaven to return to Earth? Thanks in advance.
The soul and spirit are 2 distinct separate aspects of our being...
Here are some scriptures:
Luke 1 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
⁴⁶ And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,
⁴⁷ And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

“And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
— 1 Thessalonians 5:23 (KJV)

“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
— Hebrews 4:12 (KJV)
And this link explains in depth the roles of each...
What Is the Difference between the Soul and the Spirit?

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi again K9Buck. That's actually a Frequently Asked Question, and some Gnostic and Occultic belief systems incorporate the pre-existence of souls, human or non-human, in their corpus of doctrines, but I find such a notion incompatible with Scripture. Man does not become a living soul until physically formed and spiritually vitalised.

Here are some verses to work through.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Gen 3:19 In the sweat of your face shall you eat bread, till you return unto the ground; for out of it were you taken: for dust you are, and unto dust shall you return.

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Zec 12:1
The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, says the LORD, which stretches forth the heavens, and lays the foundation of the earth, and forms the spirit of man within him.

1Co 15:53-54 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. (54) So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

Good question though . . .

Except God knows us before we are in the womb:

Jer 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a part of me that believes we originated in heaven in God for eternity.
We are given a chance to experience a physical existence.
Some instead of waiting for an "invitation" to come into this existence.. fall or leave their first estate.
They take humanity upon themselves wanting to make things in their own image.
Their own ways. Their own laws.
There are those who are sent. And those who just are gifted with an experience.
When we die we go back from whence we came and judged according to our experiences and how we handled them.
There are two opposing forces which are evident in all of creation. The ying and yang, opposites, positive/negative, good/evil.
We have freedom to choose which road to take, albeit not everyone sees the crossroads. Some are so intent on the path they chose they can't see an alternate route. They are lost. And some are found.
So the question is...
Once we return to heaven do we come back to earth again..
Now that would be touching on reincarnation...
Ever have that de ja vu feeling... like you been here before?
unfinished business or a second chance or maybe a 7 times 77th chance?
Do we get to choose when where under what circumstances, who are parents are?
Are we already entering and exiting the door to the pasture?
Jhn 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

I just know, when it's time to go home I'll be ready.
And if I had it to do over again... would I make the same mistakes?
Would the road be different? Would I be me?
Am I who I was the last time? Or is this the first time?
So many questions...
I like to think about things like that.
It means possibilities are endless and there is ALWAYS hope.

Hugs
In a study I did about the 3 earth ages it states our spirits were with God in the 1st earth age...here on earth.

Reactions: Ziggy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are you saying that Jesus was DEAD and without thought or consciousness once he died on the cross and that he only resumed to exist upon his resurrection?
yes....Jesus experienced the second death for us

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Except God knows us before we are in the womb:

Jer 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”
Of course, God always knows everything knowable, and when specifically referencing a timeframe this is described as His Foreknowledge. In this verse and in the Psalms, we read of formation in the womb being foreknown, but not of that which is formed being pre-existent.

Psa 139:13-16 For you have possessed my reins: you have covered me in my mother's womb. (14) I will praise you; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are your works; and that my soul knows right well. (15) My substance was not hid from you, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. (16) Your eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in your book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that believers go to Heaven upon death and are with Jesus. I don't believe that we go into "soul sleep". The idea that we will then have new bodies and live in a new Earth is fascinating to me. I wonder. Will we be able to fly and teleport and be able to do anything that we imagine? I can't wait!
Paul speaks of a place that the Lord showed him.
“It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord. I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up
to the third heaven. And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.”