Am I wrong

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

Well, if we follow the steps of Jesus then we would be baptized with water.....just like he was.

How can you not be sure if verbally you have to say in the name of the father, Son and Holy Ghost? He said "baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit". The earliest Christian writings we have show that they said/did this while baptizing.

One is born again of the Spirit when they are baptized (with water)....Just like Jesus said in John 3:5!!

Who taught you Scripture?

Mary
There are several examples in the book of acts (the earliest Christian writing) where new converts were baptised. Please find one where they were baptised in the name of all three members of the Godhead.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Sola Scriptura, period...
there are many Spirit filled, kind brothers and sisters on here;

It's always good to clarify what one means by sola Scriptura(as you have done repeatedly) because without pointing out the necessity for the Spirit, scripture kills (e.g. "the letter kills")

Reactions: Nancy

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
There are several examples in the book of acts (the earliest Christian writing) where new converts were baptised. Please find one where they were baptised in the name of all three members of the Godhead.
Those articulations where all three are mentioned, are all additions as well. They were added much later by scribes. Even in those additions, it is always in the singular, e.g. "the name". it is never in the plural. So which name? It's only one.

Moreover, this was a common phrase which indicated authority, not a literal name. All diplomats, regents, etc. came "in the name" of the monarch, kingdom, republic, etc. that they represented.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Biblical pattern of baptism is by full immersion. The waters of baptism picture a grave and we are "buried" with Christ in baptism. We don't sprinkle dirt on individuals to bury them; to be buried is to be completely immersed. I know there is a lot of debates on this subject and while we are saved by grace through faith I would ask you out of love to examine the scriptures and even the baptism of Jesus. Our Lord was fully immersed and so should we.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Biblical pattern of baptism is by full immersion. The waters of baptism picture a grave and we are "buried" with Christ in baptism. We don't sprinkle dirt on individuals to bury them; to be buried is to be completely immersed. I know there is a lot of debates on this subject and while we are saved by grace through faith I would ask you out of love to examine the scriptures and even the baptism of Jesus. Our Lord was fully immersed and so should we.
Hey, LC, haven't seen you in a while!

I agree that immersion is best if possible.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, LC, haven't seen you in a while!

I agree that immersion is best if possible.
It's been a very busy year! Graduated college, moved across the country, started a career, getting settled in a new place! All great changes but I have not had much time for the online community.

I hope that everything is going well for you and your family :)

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's been a very busy year! Graduated college, moved across the country, started a career, getting settled in a new place! All great changes but I have not had much time for the online community.

I hope that everything is going well for you and your family :)
Yes, thanks for asking.

Glad to hear that all is well with you and yours. What did you get your degree in?

Reactions: LC627

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you dont know your nose from a hole in the ground. i noticed you exclude justification and rely on baptism
luke 3:
3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;

4 As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

5 Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth;

6 And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.

7 Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of him, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

8 {Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance}
, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

9 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

10 And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then?

11 He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.

12 Then came also publicans to be baptized, and said unto him, Master, what shall we do?

13 And he said unto them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you.

14 And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.

15 And as the people were in expectation, and all men mused in their hearts of John, whether he were the Christ, or not;

16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

17 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.
I didn't ignore anything Ezra. I believe all of Scripture. The topic at hand is baptism. Are there other things we MUST do to be saved? YES...of course. But we are talking about baptism which is the OP. If you want to start a thread about other ways to be saved and argue for/against it then I will join you on that thread.

Scripture says baptism now saves you: 1 Peter 3:21

Baptism follows belief (Mark 16:16). Just like the NT Christians practiced and were told to do by Christ: Acts 8, Acts 10, Acts 22, Matthew 28 etc.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dont listen to any arbiter of scripture. Listen to scripture.
Hi brakelite.

I think it's been a long time since I have responded/seen any of your post.....Have you been gone or have our paths not crossed lately?

If my memory serves me correctly you seem to be one of the biggest arbiter's of Scripture on this forum. You even have your own website were you do the same. Soooooo it seems to this ol' gal you are suggesting I shouldn't listen to YOU?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you brakelite. To the best of my knowledge there is none. Soooo does that mean we are NOT to baptize in the name of all three members of the Godhead? Is that your theory???

I suspect you prefer to do what Jesus told us to do? His ORDER before he rose into heaven is good enough for me: baptize them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit! Is that good enough for YOU?

If that isn't good enough for you it was good enough for the 1st century Christians. The Didacha, which was written BEFORE some of the NT letters and BEFORE all the Apostles had died says: Now concerning baptism, baptize as follows: after you have reviewed all these things, baptize in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit in running water

Sooooo I am not sure what point you are trying to make.....

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't ignore anything Ezra. I believe all of Scripture. The topic at hand is baptism. Are there other things we MUST do to be saved? YES...of course. But we are talking about baptism which is the OP. If you want to start a thread about other ways to be saved and argue for/against it then I will join you on that thread.

Scripture says baptism now saves you: 1 Peter 3:21

Baptism follows belief (Mark 16:16). Just like the NT Christians practiced and were told to do by Christ: Acts 8, Acts 10, Acts 22, Matthew 28 etc.
water Baptism does NOT SAVE you the title to the thread is am i wrong? YES you are justification is the very act of salvation when when saved by grace through faith not of works. baptism is a work water baptism is NOT GRACE .. redeemed is a purchase a price paid by the Blood of Jesus i dont care if you believe you must be baptized to be saved . but you are % 199 wrong :eek::rolleyes:o_O

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My husband and 4 kids moved to a small town in Tennessee a few years ago. We had always attended Calvary Chapel but none here. We have tried a bunch of churches but they always reject me because I was not baptized properly.

I was born to parents that actively hated the church God, Jesus w extreme passion. I can say that I was born to love Christ. Even as a tiny girl, I can remember secretly reading my bible. I contribute this to a praying MIL but another story...my dad was very violent, like a trip to the ICU at age 3 violent. I was baptized at 15 at a football game by sprinkle and I really was putting myself in a lot of danger doing that.
Fast forward 30 years..everytime we try to join a church, they say I need to be baptized. I feel baptized..and my baptism came at personal cost that few will ever know and meant more to me accordingly. Getting baptized again makes me want to vomit, my skin crawls when idiots tell me that this extremely important spiritual moment where God spoke to me w prophetic news that came true was all a lie and God is a liar.
I quit trying to even go to church bc my husband would get so mad when they rejected me and then none went to church. Am I wrong not to go to church? Should I just take a bath in sanctuary to make idiots happy?

Yes. I totally get how important that baptism was for you. I am not sure what you should do. I regret being rebaptised as an adult. Honestly, I think re-baptism is sinful - I love your obvious faith in God.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think re-baptism is sinful -
i dont see it as sinful how ever there are denoms that to join there Church you have to be baptized into there Church ..yes in other words they have to baptize you... which is not scripture

Last edited:
Reactions: aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i dont see it as sinful how ever there denoms that to join there Church you have to be baptized into there Church ..yes in other words they have to baptize you... which is not scripture

well, ‘not scriptural’ and sin are synonymous

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, ‘not scriptural’ and sin are synonymous
if some one gets away from the lord AND THEY return from a sinful life style and would like to be rebaptized. i see nothing wrong with it.. how ever repeating numerous times is nothing

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if some one gets away from the lord AND THEY return from a sinful life style and would like to be rebaptized. i see nothing wrong with it.. how ever repeating numerous times is nothing

it is an issue of Faith. It is a first commandment issue, as well.