An excellent Bible reading plan.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know what you all are talking about, since it has nothing to do with the OP.

If you want a good Bible reading plan, try to find one that is chronological. The order of the Bible "books" makes no sense otherwise. Here is one of many that you can find by doing a search...

jaf-chronological-bible-reading-plan.pdf (joniandfriends.org)

... and it's one of the better ones IMHO.

Reactions: ChristisGod

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a good reading plan....but let me ask you this...is the purpose to read the Bible to say you read it or are you seeking the hidden wisdom in it?

I think this is why I seem to be only able to take a chunk at a time

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think this is why I seem to be only able to take a chunk at a time
Same here...and when I discover "golden nugget' "hidden treasure " then I cross reference every scripture pertaining to it and cross reference the cross references...lol.
Example: Death and life are in the power of the tongue and they who love it will eat the fruit thereof.
Proverbs 18:21....
I spent nearly 6 months cross referencing every scripture about our words.....that is a very deep subject and a powerful one too!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tenacious as can be, ...without a cause!
So, you are not a Jehovah's Witness (which means that you do not hold the NeWT to be the inspired word of God).

Yet you do not believe that Jesus is God.

So, what do you do with John 1:1-3, John 1:14 as they exist in most translations?

It seems to me that you have never been able to answer this question.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tenacious as can be, ...without a cause!
The cause is that I believe that the doctrine is essential when it comes to salvation.

For if you do not believe in it, you will die in your sins (John 8:24).

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a good reading plan....but let me ask you this...is the purpose to read the Bible to say you read it or are you seeking the hidden wisdom in it?

When I study the Bible I read a whole book to keep it in context, rather than wandering around and you forget what the premise is the apostle wrote the book for in the first place.

Romans is a good example. The first 8 chapters are about the old covenant of law vs. the new covenant of Spirit, yet some make whole doctrines out of middle chapters like 3, 4 or 5 and turn out heresies. Or believe that Romans 7 is about a born again Christian. Why, I haven't a clue because the person is still in the flesh and not in the SPIRIT. Oy vey! Just read the next chapter which is the conclusion of the 8 chapter teaching and virtually says the Spirit makes them free from Romans 7.

Last edited:

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So, you are not a Jehovah's Witness (which means that you do not hold the NeWT to be the inspired word of God).

Yet you do not believe that Jesus is God.

So, what do you do with John 1:1-3, John 1:14 as they exist in most translations?

It seems to me that you have never been able to answer this question.
Antanaclasis. You're straying from the OP, Mr king of the non-sequitur!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The cause is that I believe that the doctrine is essential when it comes to salvation.

For if you do not believe in it, you will die in your sins (John 8:24).
There is no cause when you don't listen, or perceive the person who you are dealing with. You're reckless and haphazard. I don't like your exegesis, hermeneutics, or delusions about both, the KJV, and your comprehension about the incomprehensible and damnable trinity.
I have yet to hear you make sense on any subject matter, any matter whatsoever.
Just to be straight-forward and honest with you JBF, i think that you're looney-tunes. Not malicious or deliberately harmful, but extremely incompetent, that I care not to engage with you on Biblical matters, ...or, at least take you serious on them.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have yet to hear you make sense on any subject matter, any matter whatsoever.

1Co 1:18, For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1Co 1:19, For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
1Co 1:20, Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
1Co 1:21, For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
1Co 1:22, For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1Co 1:23, But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
1Co 1:24, But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
1Co 1:25, Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
1Co 1:26, For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
1Co 1:27, But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
1Co 1:28, And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
1Co 1:29, That no flesh should glory in his presence.

1Co 2:13, Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
1Co 2:14, But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Just to be straight-forward and honest with you JBF, i think that you're looney-tunes.

2Co 5:13, For whether we be beside ourselves, it is to God: or whether we be sober, it is for your cause.

Hos 9:7, The days of visitation are come, the days of recompence are come; Israel shall know it: the prophet is a fool, the spiritual man is mad, for the multitude of thine iniquity, and the great hatred.

2Ti 1:7, For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Last edited:

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
is the purpose to read the Bible to say you read it or are you seeking the hidden wisdom in it?

There is no hidden wisdom to look for that is more important than what is plainly revealed.

God has already told us why we should read the scriptures all the days of our lives:

Deuteronomy 17:19-20
[19] ...that [we] may learn to fear the Lord [our] God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them: [20] That [our] heart be not lifted up above [our] brethren, and that [we] turn not aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that [we] may prolong [our] days...

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no hidden wisdom to look for that is more important than what is plainly revealed.

God has already told us why we should read the scriptures all the days of our lives:

Deuteronomy 17:19-20
[19] ...that [we] may learn to fear the Lord [our] God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them: [20] That [our] heart be not lifted up above [our] brethren, and that [we] turn not aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that [we] may prolong [our] days...
But there is...for those who are on the meat and seek it.
1Cor 2 (NKJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
⁶ However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.
⁷ But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory,
⁸ which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
⁹ But as it is written: "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him."
¹⁰ But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.
¹¹ For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God.
¹² Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.
¹³ These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

The Holy Spirit teaches us and reveals to us the intent of His Word.

Reactions: ChristisGod

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First off, allow me to quote a scripture:

Isa 28:13, But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

Here we find that it is important not to read the holy scriptures in the here a little, there a little, fashion; but that it is important that we read books of the Bible through in their entirety, understanding everything in its immediate context.

That being said, the Lord has given me a Bible reading plan that will root and ground you in the doctrine of the NT epistles. In this plan, you will read through all of the epistles in the course of a week; and there is also extracurricular reading that you can do in the gospels, Acts, and Revelation; as well as in seven different sections in the Old Testament, plus extensive reading in Psalms and Proverbs.
I read through the Psalms twice in a month; and through the Proverbs twice in a month. By reading five chapters in Psalms 1-75 and five in Psalms 76-150. And also by reading a chapter a day in Proverbs 1-15 and Proverbs 16-30. If in any month there is a 31st of the month, I read Proverbs 31 on that day and skip the Psalms.

In the epistles, I read as following:

Day 1 (for me, this is Sunday)...1-3 John, 1-2 Peter; John 6:35, John 4:13-14, John 7:37-39, John 6:47, John 5:24, John 6:37, John 8:31-36, John 10:27-30, John 11:25-27 (in that order); James, Romans 2:25-the end of chapter 8, Hebrews 10, Jude. (this is not as extensive as you think, you can read it in about 45 minutes to an hour).
Day 2...Romans
Day 3...1 Corinthians
Day 4...2 Corinthians
Day 5...Galatians-Colossians, Revelation 1:17-the end of chapter 3
Day 6...1 Thessalonians-Philemon
Day 7...Hebrews

Then, if I am not tired and want to read more, I read out of the gospels, Acts, and Revelation:

In Matthew, 4 chapters a day
In Mark, 4 chapters a day
In Luke, 4 chapters a day
In John, 3 chapters a day
In Revelation:
day 1:1-5
day 2:6-10
day 3:11-16
day 4:17-22.

Then if I am not tired after reading, I read 1 chapter a day in each of the following sections of the Old Testament:

Genesis-Deuteronomy
Joshua-2 Kings
1 Chronicles-Esther
Job
Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
Isaiah-Daniel
Hosea-Malachi.

I tend to keep Job and Ecclesiastes-Song of Solomon (which together contain 20 chapters) together in number by reading Job 41 and 42 the same day that I read Job 40.

I try to do my best to at least read out of the epistles, and out of the gospels, Acts, and Revelation, on any given day. In this way I finish the epistles four times in a month and through the gospels, Acts, and Revelation about once per month (give or take a few days).

I believe that the Lord would have you sacrifice some of your TV time and do this reading so that you can become rooted and grounded in the word.

We spend our time doing what is important to us.

If your relationship with the Lord is important to you, you will spend much time reading His word and being nourished by it as a true branch in the vine.

If any of this is too much for you, recognize that it is merely a guideline and only one plan of reading through the Bible. If it doesn't work for you, I encourage you to find a plan that does.

Sincerely yours in Christ,

@justbyfaith.

It takes me 2 years on average to read the scripture from cover to cover. I don't really know how many times I've done this but I know it's been at least a dozen times.

As I read, beginning in Gen. through Rev., based on what I have already learned, I add to that with several studies as I go. Each time I read, I get deeper into any given subject that stands out, like why or how is this.

This is probably different than how most folds approach the scripture, but it works for me! I have learned that it is very important to read and understand the Old Testament as it actually is revealed to us in the New Testament.

To get a firm understanding of the New Covenant in Christ, it is necessary to study and have a firm foundation in the Old Testament!

But I agree that each individual should read and study as it suits them, there is no one way to study the Word of God.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory,
⁸ which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

This is referring to the mystery of the gospel (the Lord of glory). Not to the instructions in righteousness contained in the scriptures.

As believers, the hidden wisdom of Christ has been revealed to us. All the prophecies concerning Christ in the Old Testament are revealed to us. There’s no other mystery left to figure out that affects your relationship with God.

The Holy Spirit teaches us and reveals to us the intent of His Word.

The intent of the word is this:

Psalm 19:7-8,11
[7] The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. [8] The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. [11] Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: [17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is referring to the mystery of the gospel (the Lord of glory). Not to the instructions in righteousness contained in the scriptures.

As believers, the hidden wisdom of Christ has been revealed to us. All the prophecies concerning Christ in the Old Testament are revealed to us. There’s no other mystery left to figure out that affects your relationship with God.

The intent of the word is this:

Psalm 19:7-8,11
[7] The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. [8] The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. [11] Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: [17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
True...but even Paul said there were those who were still on the milk..he would rather them be on the meat..
So there is depth that is hidden to immature Christian's.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It takes me 2 years on average to read the scripture from cover to cover. I don't really know how many times I've done this but I know it's been at least a dozen times.

As I read, beginning in Gen. through Rev., based on what I have already learned, I add to that with several studies as I go. Each time I read, I get deeper into any given subject that stands out, like why or how is this.

This is probably different than how most folds approach the scripture, but it works for me! I have learned that it is very important to read and understand the Old Testament as it actually is revealed to us in the New Testament.

To get a firm understanding of the New Covenant in Christ, it is necessary to study and have a firm foundation in the Old Testament!

But I agree that each individual should read and study as it suits them, there is no one way to study the Word of God.
On my Bible reading plan you would read through all of the epistles 52 times in a year...and through all of the gospels, Acts, and Revelation about 11-12 times in a year.

You would be rooted and grounded in the New Testament.

You should consider what it says in the following verses.

2Co 3:6, Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
2Co 3:7, But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
2Co 3:8, How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
2Co 3:9, For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
2Co 3:10, For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
2Co 3:11, For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

Heb 8:13, In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On my Bible reading plan you would read through all of the epistles 52 times in a year...and through all of the gospels, Acts, and Revelation about 11-12 times in a year.

You would be rooted and grounded in the New Testament.

You should consider what it says in the following verses.

2Co 3:6, Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
2Co 3:7, But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
2Co 3:8, How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
2Co 3:9, For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
2Co 3:10, For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
2Co 3:11, For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

Heb 8:13, In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Like I said before, you are much more intelligent than myself.

I have to take it slow, sometimes spending weeks on 2 or 3 verses searching them out in cross reference and commentaries.

Then I move on, the time is takes is no factor to me. It takes as long as it takes!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I said before, you are much more intelligent than myself.

I have to take it slow, sometimes spending weeks on 2 or 3 verses searching them out in cross reference and commentaries.

Then I move on, the time is takes is no factor to me. It takes as long as it takes!
You should try it my way. verses will jump out at you as you read and the Holy Spirit will speak to you through them; and He will also bring to your remembrance verses that apply to the verses that he causes to jump out at you, because you have recently read them; so that you can understand them according to that (1 Corinthians 2:13 (kjv)) hermeneutic.

I wouldn't put too much trust in commentaries if I were you. The men who write them are flawed human beings. I would stick to the scriptures.