Another random thing I want to see what you guys got to say.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wayne

Oct 30, 2011
I was talking with a friend and he said he saw youtube video about a guy who was a christian until he saw the bible was saying different thing in different books.

One my friend brought up was about Judas and in two different book it was told different on how he die. One he die by God smiting him and another one he killed him self.

The only one I know of is the one he killed him self.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
the books that your friend saw would have been an apocryphal book. That is a book written by someone who claimed to be a christian, but did not write with any authority. the books of Enoch, the Gospel of Thomas are of the apocrypha...they are not inspired writings from the apostles of Jesus and this is why they are called 'apocrypha'

the cannon of the NT was based on what writings/letters/gospels were authorized by the Apostles... and the apocryphal books were not among them. That is why they contradict the NT...its because they were not written under Gods direction but are full of fanciful contrived stories that do not make any sense, nor do they agree with the writings of christs apostles.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These are the two accounts in Scripture...

And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.
(Mat 27:5)
Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.
(Act 1:18)
The solution? The rope broke. It's a pity people 'hang' their faith on YouTube.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One account says Judas fell and the other says he hanged himself. If the rope broke both can be true. You tube is not a good source for Divine Truth. The bible is God's Word to us.

Wayne

Oct 30, 2011
Number one I don't go to youtube. I read the bible. I have a question. Is possible for the bible have human errors in it? I been told no because God wouldn't let happen but why would one thing been told differently in two different books? If suppose to be God words and changes thing inside the bible. Who say that bible is right?

Don't take this wrong way. I haven't look into the chapter about it but answer the question.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Number one I don't go to youtube. I read the bible. I have a question. Is possible for the bible have human errors in it? I been told no because God wouldn't let happen but why would one thing been told differently in two different books? If suppose to be God words and changes thing inside the bible. Who say that bible is right?

Don't take this wrong way. I haven't look into the chapter about it but answer the question.

The solution presented by Prism is best you'll find and it's not at all a stretch. Two people reporting on the same event will inevitably emphasize, include or exclude aspects the other does not and vice versa.

As for errors. . . The originals as penned by the Biblical authors would have been error free as they were "God-breathed" or inspired. Copies do contain copyist errors known as "variants." 99% of textual variants are relatively minor and do not effect the meaning of the text. Those that are more difficult in nature do not effect any central tenet of the Christian Faith in any way. The fact of the matter, is that God has preserved his word, variants notwithstanding. God may not have seen fit to preserve the word in the way many assume he should have, but that's God's prerogative. The Scriptures are trustworthy.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Why not??? But first, define what an "error" constitutes. It has a very narrow definition with regards to textural criticism versus mathematics/logic versus civil and magisterial law versus political expediency. Unless we all use the same definitions we just repeat the same arguments with the same conclusions.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

there have been found to be copyist errors... minor spelling mistakes or doubling up on words by the hand of a tired scribe. But when it comes to major teachings of the bible, no, there are no contradictions of that sort in the bible. All the bible writers were writing from their own perspectives though, and sometimes they were highlighting different aspects of the same story. So this is why Matthew 27:5 states that Judas “went off and hanged himself.” But Acts 1:18 says: “Pitching head foremost he noisily burst in his midst and all his intestines were poured out.”
Matthew was relating the mode of the attempted suicide, while Acts describes the result of his suicide.

Wayne

Oct 30, 2011
Well, the word of God. The truth!!!!!

It can't have one saying he hung him self and then other one blown up!!!!

OK, Pegg I can take that answer. It make more sense then other I gotten.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Here is a breakdown of the variants found in the New Testament amongst all the surviving MSS to about the year 1000.

variants.jpg

Not bad for copies of copies of copies from originals written nearly 2 millenia ago.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, the word of God. The truth!!!!!

It can't have one saying he hung him self and then other one blown up!!!!

Well it's a good thing that the texts in question do not say anything of the kind. That would be an irreconcilable contradiction. The accounts that say he hung himself and fell are completely reconcilable. How many people do you know that burst open after falling forward from a standing position? Judas must have fallen from a considerable height, such as would be the case had he been hanging from a tree and the rope broke.

Not bad for copies of copies of copies from originals written nearly 2 millenia ago.

Not bad at all. Even more amazing when we consider the fact that these manuscripts all describe the same God, the same Christ, the same salvation and overall, the same Christian Faith. Wayne needs to embrace the truth of the matter. There's nothing to fear here. Denial is simply not an option.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hermeneutics is as much art as it is science. And this poster on youtube doesn't even know his science very well at all.
(Most Christians only know what their pastor tells them and if he isn't up on his science...well...you see the answers above)

The difference between what Luke writes about Judas and what Matthew writes is a simple one to explain.

Audience and the science called Anthropology.

In Jewish culture it wasn't just a sin to commit suicide...it was considered an all out affront to God. It was the largest insult to God you could make. The Jews believed (as do all Christians) that all life comes from God. All life ends at the whim of God. To kill yourself was to make your plans more important to God ergo: you are your own God. Since Matthew wrote his gospel letter to a Jewish audience he simply told what happened.

Luke wrote to a completely different audience with a completely different set of morals and ideals.
In Roman society murder was still murder. Euthanasia wasn't murder....nor was killing yourself a bad death. It actually was seen as somewhat heroic. (But your body had to remain intact and there were some other pre-requisite things that went along with it)

Soooo...when Luke wrote that Judas fell and his bowels came out....it was considered to be an ugly death and a very poor one....the worst one that a Roman citizen could have. Clumsy and cowardly and definitely a clueless person.

And that is why the difference between the two accounts.

The

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
So you are saying each lied to convince their audience that something sociologically terrible happened to Judas, but, it doesn't matter what factually happened because it is the intent of the wording, not the actual facts that matters most? Am I missing the mark with my abbreviated synopsis of your post?

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since Matthew wrote his gospel letter to a Jewish audience he simply told what happened.

Luke wrote to a completely different audience with a completely different set of morals and ideals.
In Roman society murder was still murder. Euthanasia wasn't murder....nor was killing yourself a bad death. It actually was seen as somewhat heroic. (But your body had to remain intact and there were some other pre-requisite things that went along with it)

Soooo...when Luke wrote that Judas fell and his bowels came out....it was considered to be an ugly death and a very poor one....the worst one that a Roman citizen could have. Clumsy and cowardly and definitely a clueless person.

And that is why the difference between the two accounts.

This has got to be the strangest explanation I've ever seen. So Matthew told what happened, but Luke doctored the account to suit his Gentile audience? Exactly what reference material did you use to arrive at such a nonsensical conclusion?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you are saying each lied to convince their audience that something sociologically terrible happened to Judas, but, it doesn't matter what factually happened because it is the intent of the wording, not the actual facts that matters most? Am I missing the mark with my abbreviated synopsis of your post?

yes

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
I was talking with a friend and he said he saw youtube video about a guy who was a christian until he saw the bible was saying different thing in different books.

One my friend brought up was about Judas and in two different book it was told different on how he die. One he die by God smiting him and another one he killed him self.

The only one I know of is the one he killed him self.

I never heard that one. What some have said is one scripture said Judas died by him hanging himself and another said he fell and died.

Matthew 27:5 (ASV)
[sup]5 [/sup]And he cast down the pieces of silver into the sanctuary, and departed; and he went away and hanged himself.

Acts 1:18 (ASV)
[sup]18 [/sup](Now this man obtained a field with the reward of his iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

So what is the answer? It is both…..he hanged himself and whatever he hanged himself with broke and he fell.

When Christians don't study the Bible they set themselves up for those who know a little more of what is in the Bible than they do. Its not that these people understand the Bible, its just that they are blind and is quick to use seemingly contraditions in the Bible to trip-up Christians.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA

I asked two questions that both can not be answered with a single yes. Yes, you are saying that OR Yes, I am missing the mark?