Any Linux users out there?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dunamite

Nov 15, 2007
I have used Linux exclusively as my computer operating system for about five years. I used it previously alongside Windows XP for a few years.I am very happy with it. I can do anything in Linux that I can in Windows. I am more productive and save lots of $$$.Any other Linux users?Ramblings for the uninitiated....My computer came with Windows XP MCE and I can still boot into it if I choose, but it is more of a pain than anything. It takes me about 10 minutes before I can do anything. Windows does all kinds of checking for updates, then wants to re-boot, sometimes more than once. If I say no, it nags me every ten minutes or so, until I give in and re-boot. By then I have usually forgotten what I wanted to do any way.Linux boots faster. It never asks to re-boot. I am never nagged, even if it did want to re-boot (only for kernel updates does it even suggest that you re-boot). I don't use an anti-virus checker. I do not have to worry about malware, trojans or worms. I never need to defragment my hard drive.My OS plus all of the software cost me nothing. As in free! Unlike Windows which has an update every five years or so, my Linux is updated twice a year with a new version. I know exactly when the new one is to be released and I can do update via the internet.Linux is great for old computers. It has a very tiny footprint. You can run any version of Linux from a DVD or CD and some will run with a full graphical interface in as little as 50 MB. I can run it from a USB key and not even have a hard drive.Linux can install from inside Windows, from a CD, DVD or a network card. It is dead simple to install. You get a full graphical interface with a choice of desktops. It can look like a MAC or like Windows. I have a 3D card, so I get a full 3D desktop that makes Vista look like child's play. Unlike Vista it is fast. Crashes in Linux are almost unheard of. When it does crash it is usually just a graphics problem that requires to restart your graphical user interface.For people who have pirated software on their system, Linux lets you break that bad habit. There are free open source programs for almost anything.The one exception is games. There is no reason why Linux cannot do games. In fact some games such as Doom got there start there. It runs some Windows games and programs with a Windows emulator called Wine. I have this installed and can run my favorite Windows software. I can't think of one, because I use the open source ones. It will run MSOffice, Corel WordPerfect, Photoshop, iTunes, Paintshop Pro and Internet Explorer if you feels partial to these programs.I can also run a full version of Window XP at near native speed using VMWare if I wanted. This gives me access to any Windows program. But you need a valid Windows license to do this.I have two drives with a total of 11 partitions among them. In this space I run Windows XP and four different kinds of Linux. I actually only use one, but keep the others around for fun. Linux comes in different forms called distributions (distros for short) and they loosely fall into categories based on their history and package management (how they install programs).I have tried dozens of different distributions over the years before settling on one. I use Ubuntu 7.10 right now. I am currently running Simply MEPIS 7.0, SUSE 10.3 and PCLinuxOS on other partitions, but they change as I experiment.I have got into lots of problems with corrupted registries or boot sector errors in Windows, but never had problems like that with Linux. I keep my data on a separate partition so I have not lost any data as a result of all of the installing and de-installing.Linux is based on Unix which is what MAC OS/X is based on (actually FreeBSD). The file structure is different from Windows, but some kinds of Linux try to look like Windows by giving you a dummy c: drive which is really just a folder hidden in the root directory. However, it reads and writes to Windows drives formatted either as FAT32 or NTFS formats.Drivers used to be a problem with Linux, but it is better than Vista for the most part in detecting hardware and installing device drivers. There are a few devices that continue to be problematic. Usually they are from obscure manufacturers or are Windows specific.If you want to try Linux you can do it without installing it on your computer. To do this you download an .iso file from the internet (distrowatch.org is a good starting place) and burn it to CD. You have to choose a distribution with a Live CD. This means that it is a fully functioning OS that runs from the CD. When you burn the CD you must open the iso file up in your burning program (Nero or similar). The iso is a compressed file format and it creates a bootable CD. Burning it as a data file is worthless. Then you put the burned CD in the drive and re-boot. It will take you into the world of Linux!Good distros to try are:Ubuntu which has a desktop manager called Gnome which is simpler, but more like a MAC PCLinuxOs which uses KDE as its desktop manager and it looks more like Windows XPSimplyMEPIS which also uses KDE. If you have an old clunker that you want to try Linux on you can use other desktops which use less memory such as Fluxbox of XFCE. Ubuntu has different versions Kubuntu uses KDE and Xbuntu uses XFCE. There are even two Christian versions of Ubuntu called Ichthux and Ubuntu CE (Christian Edition). It also has a Muslim edition. In the Christian edition you get Bible software and Christian wallpaper, etc.Ubuntu is an African word, which has been described as "too beautiful to translate into English". The essence of Ubuntu is that "a person is a person through other people". It describes humanity as "being-with-others". It is about community which is what Linux and open source is all about. It is user driven, instead of market driven. It is participatory, instead of directed from the top down. Blessings,Dunamite

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I run Linux with everything I do online, including this website.I had Linux installed as a dual boot on my desktop here, but I encountered problems. I'd like to run Linux only, but some of the games I have for relaxation as well as some other important programs just aren't quite there yet.However, virtualization will change that all very soon I think.

Dunamite

Nov 15, 2007
(Denver;31413)
I run Linux with everything I do online, including this website.I had Linux installed as a dual boot on my desktop here, but I encountered problems. I'd like to run Linux only, but some of the games I have for relaxation as well as some other important programs just aren't quite there yet.However, virtualization will change that all very soon I think.
I thought that this might be the case. Linux is the backbone of many servers used on the net.Linux is ready for the desktop use of most computer users. There are some wonderful desktop choices from novice to power user.You hit the one weakness of Linux on the head and it really has nothing to do with Linux. It is the unavailability of games. If Windows games came in Linux formats then there would be no reason to stay with Windows. Since I am not much of a gamer, I do not need to go to Windows for anything.This is not to say that there aren't Linux games. There are, but not if you want to play Warcraft and the most current games.Linux can do games, but until the market changes there won't be much in the way of Linux games.Love your site. Keep up the good work.Blessings,Dunamite

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
Sorry off topic and I should not post here probably
smile.gif
But I dislike Windows/Linux(I have never tried linux really)
smile.gif
but stillI am a Mac guyMac run faster smoother and cleaner desktop and so much easier to navigateNo stupid pop up or whatever
smile.gif
Mac is the way to go espicially with the new program out called Mac Os X LEPARD haha

Dunamite

Nov 15, 2007
Linux and OS/X have a common root. Both are forks in Unix. OS/X is based on BSD. Linux is older than OS/X. You probably use Linux, but don't know it. Linux is the backbone of the internet. Most servers are Linux. Many of the biggest companies from Google to Ebay and Amazon are Linux based. In addition many devices from cell phones to appliances run on Linux.Linux will run on any hardware. It runs on just about any chipset. It runs on Mactels and PowerPCs.Why would a Mac user want to use Linux? Linux is free. OS/X costs money. Linux comes with all of the programs that any Mac user would ever want. You don't have to buy anything extra or pay any money at all.Linux gives you choice. Instead of running what Apple decides is good you can take control and run whatever you want.Linux sets you free from control of big companies whether it is Microsoft or Apple. It is your computer. You can do what you want. You don't have to deal with DRM or hassles imposed on users by big corporations. Linux is user driven. It is developed by users like you. They listen to other users and really care about what you want. Linux has a continuous development cycle. It is updated constantly and new versions come out at regularly. Ubuntu for example comes out ever 6 months with a new version. All of it is free! You get to test out the latest and leading edge things first if you want or you can elect to use the stable releases. Your input is wanted at all stages of the development process.Linux is a community. Users help each other providing support and encouragement. It is personal and friendly.There are lots of reasons for Windows and Mac users to choose Linux.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
I tried Ubuntu. Found myself using Vista more. It was a dual boot.It's cool and everything, but I'm a Micro$oft kind of a person.

michaelshawn

Feb 28, 2008
Linux gives you choice. Instead of running what Apple decides is good you can take control and run whatever you want. Linux is a community. Users help each other providing support and encouragement. It is personal and friendly. Linux can install from inside Windows, from a CD, DVD or a network card. It is dead simple to install. Love your site. Keep up the good work.
smile.gif