Anyone here LOVE to garden?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My friend had tree ferns and he had to protect them with fleece over the winter.
I have ferns as well, not the tropical type, I also have about 20 Hostas , the trouble with those are, the snails and slugs love them,xx

Reactions: Debp

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I can’t believe it, mine is a Acer as well...I bought it from a young girl selling plants privately....it was so tiny, ..you should see it now.

Is that your garden as it looks now? Xx

I have those poppies all over the garden, they self seed..beautiful they are,xx
The pic is from a couple of years ago. It always looks best in the spring. And my Welsh and Californian poppies self seed - or I might give them a bit of help as I love them. I also have self-seeding violets and a little acer growing from seed in one of my pots. I've tried to grow the red poppies but they don't take. The bluebells and wild garlic are just coming into flower.

Reactions: Debp and Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The pic is from a couple of years ago. It always looks best in the spring. And my Welsh and Californian poppies self seed - or I might give them a bit of help as I love them. I also have self-seeding violets and a little acer growing from seed in one of my pots. I've tried to grow the red poppies but they don't take. The bluebells and wild garlic are just coming into flower.
Good luck with the wild garlic, my friend has tried to get rid of them.

• Haha

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well, this is mView attachment 44183View attachment 44184y fourth year of attempting a garden. The past two were not as successful as the first.
Wow!!!...you’ve been busy...I would love to grow my own vegetable garden,,I grew some tomatoes a few years back, the darn rats ate them, that were nesting under my decking at the time........you have worked hard....

Tell us what you’re growing @Spyder ?xx

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Good luck with the wild garlic, my friend has tried to get rid of them.
Oh I like them they are under the tree in the shade with some bluebells. They haven't spread. That's my 'woodland' bit with ferns and a bit of well control ivy.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look at those amazing Banana plants, beautiful architectural plants, I watch a lady from the UK, on YouTube, her channel is called Tropical garden.....

She has banana plants, she has to wrap them in fleece every year to protect them from the frost......I would absolutely love them in my garden, they are such a statement and talking piece.unfortunately my garden is to small....

How old are they? they look so mature,xx
Well these are the 10-12 foot dwarfs.

Now, depending on the latitude even a variation of 100 kms, this will dictate or vary the length of the growing season and how large they get and in what quantities. And other factors as well, like how cooler or warmer, especially the winter temps, and the amount of seasonal rainfall. You know many folks think that bananas love constant high temps, and they do not. In fact the ideal temp range for this type of banana is 68-80 deg F.

Average growing time to maturity here is between 1-1/12 years. Sometimes I get 6 plants that will grow a couple or more bunches of bananas per plant say, of 30-40 in a bunch. That can be a total of about 500 banana. Usually less though,

When we lived closer to the East Coast line and about 100 kms further south, the growing season was less, 3/4 - 1 year.

• Wow

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Rita..when you get a moment from modding.xx

How do you maintain your decking and how do you maintain the artificial grass?

I scrub my decking manually....some use pressure washers...I have thought about investing in one....I look at it this way, I’ve got the time, so why not scrub by hand.

I know these mod cons make our life much easier, it can also make us lazier imo.x

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well these are the 10-12 foot dwarfs.

Now, depending on the latitude even a variation of 100 kms, this will dictate or vary the length of the growing season and how large they get and in what quantities. And other factors as well, like how cooler or warmer, especially the winter temps, and the amount of seasonal rainfall. You know many folks think that bananas love constant high temps, and they do not. In fact the ideal temp range for this type of banana is 68-80 deg F.

Average growing time to maturity here is between 1-1/12 years. Sometimes I get 6 plants that will grow a couple or more bunches of bananas per plant say, of 30-40 in a bunch. That can be a total of about 500 banana. Usually less though,

When we lived closer to the East Coast line and about 100 kms further south, the growing season was less, 3/4 - 1 year.
I would love to see a picture of yours with bananas on the plants, pretty please,xx

I don’t think any UK gardens can grow the bananas, we don’t have the temperatures here in the UK...as far as I know.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would love to see a picture of yours with bananas on the plants, pretty please,xx

I don’t think any UK gardens can grow the bananas, we don’t have the temperatures here in the UK...as far as I know.
That pic I sent already shows some immature bananas. Let me send you some close-ups then...

1712500219106.jpeg

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@APAK ..have you got to be careful of spiders living in that banana plant? Xx
Yep, although not seen any around the plants in over 10 years. I've heard of the black widow types living around them....I do still watch it especially when I cut a bunch off or hack down a dead, expended plant with my machete.

Good point though.

I remember when our backyard was being overran by flying rats, or squirrels. They would marauder around the plants and because fresh food was more scare especially at the beginning of Winter they would climb up to the heart of the plant and chisel away with their sharp teeth and chew on them. And most of the time they never ate it. I would find the pieces lying around in disgust. This would not necessarily kill the plant. It would delay new growth by months however.

Reactions: Ritajanice and Debp