Anyone here LOVE to garden?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I absolutely love gardening, how about you? Xx

I have a very small garden, + 3 tiny ponds for wildlife.

Tell us a bit about your garden, wether it be a vegetable garden or any type of garden, is yours hard landscaped?

Mine is like a cottage garden.

Any pictures of your garden would add more interest to the thread,xx

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Debp

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small garden now and it’s got artificial grass and decking, so I am starting to get pots planted up. I can’t bend down like I use to because of a damaged manisuc in my knee. Might eventually get raised beds made up or brought. I have a blank canvass and I love it. My old garden was so big and it would have cost so much money to get it all sorted and manageable.
My son wants to have a herb garden out there as well, he can deal with the digging himself.

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just recently planted my raised flower garden. I have zinnias, calibrachoa, salvia and lantana. My favorite way to talk to God is while looking at a flower. In a flower I see the beauty and perfection of God and know that he loves me. It's alot like looking at a sleeping baby. You can feel the love.IMG_2824.jpeg

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I agree about a large garden, plus they take a lot of hard work to manage.

Even this small one of mine, keeps me busy.

My neighbour has the same style of garden that you have, she has artificial grass, which is extremely good quality, it always looks like new and very realistic...I’ve helped her hoover it at times, as she has a massive Oak Tree in another garden , all the leaves blow into her side garden, it’s a funny set up, she has 2 gardens, with a council alley running through the middle of the 2 gardens, she also has many pots on the artificial side of the garden....everyone comments on both her gardens as the walk past them ...I will ask her if I can post some pics of her garden ,once summer is here,xx

I’ve been busy on my decking, it hardly gets any sun , is full of that horrible green stuff, I gave half of it a good clean, unfortunately the green colour won’t come out of the wood, here’s a picture of my decking.xx

image.jpg

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I just recently planted my raised flower garden. I have zinnias, calibrachoa, salvia and lantana. My favorite way to talk to God is while looking at a flower. In a flower I see the beauty and perfection of God and know that he loves me. It's alot like looking at a sleeping baby. You can feel the love.View attachment 44123
Amen!!..it looks lovely...the garden centre here isn’t quite ready for the summer bedding plants....we have pansies, primula,daisies, etc...I’m hoping to go on Monday to the garden centre, I need some colour in my pots..here are my tulips in a pot, planted them last year,xximage.jpg

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I’ve been busy on my decking,

Just a small observation about your decking, it has been installed upside down, and it will begin to rot quickly. The square grooves in the decking when on the underside of the decking prevents water from clinging to the underside of the decking thereby reducing the rotting of the timber.

It is a common mistake seen on many decking installations.

Reactions: Debp

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just a small observation about your decking, it has been installed upside down, and it will begin to rot quickly. The square grooves in the decking when on the underside of the decking prevents water from clinging to the underside of the decking thereby reducing the rotting of the timber.

It is a common mistake seen on many decking installations.
Thank you for your concern, thinking my decking has been put in the wrong way....it hasn’t, it’s been down for over 10 years and I treat it with oil every year....it has never rotted...

It is a pain to maintain, if I could afford it, I would have that plastic type decking.when I’ve finished cleaning it, I will post a picture, I have a lovely hand rail as well, I have a nice patio table ,chairs, I also have pots on my decking,xx

Ps, the timber has also been treated,xx

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I just recently planted my raised flower garden. I have zinnias, calibrachoa, salvia and lantana. My favorite way to talk to God is while looking at a flower. In a flower I see the beauty and perfection of God and know that he loves me. It's alot like looking at a sleeping baby. You can feel the love.View attachment 44123
That is lovely.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a good idea to get books in case of times with no internet. I'm researching food forests. Plant trios ...2 fruits and a nitrogen fixer in a group, with berry bushes in the understory ...and perennials and other edibles under the berries such as strawberries, onions, sweet potato, comfrey, etc, etc.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thank you for your concern, thinking my decking has been put in the wrong way....it hasn’t, it’s been down for over 10 years and I treat it with oil every year....it has never rotted...

I am just repeating the advice that is given in the land down under by the suppliers.

The timber used in the USA may be different to what is used down under and that may be the reason why you are not seeing rotting at this stage of the decking's life. Also you are probably following the good practice of oiling the deck to prolong its life.

Reactions: Ritajanice and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm enjoying everyone's gardens, descriptions and lovely photos.

Too busy now with caring for my ill mom. But for many years I had some flowers in pots on the communal patio in our apartment building. I also used to water the three trees in large pots...two are Palm trees.

Now I cannot water anything but thankfully we are now having the atmospheric river rains.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I absolutely love gardening, how about you? Xx

I have a very small garden, + 3 tiny ponds for wildlife.

Tell us a bit about your garden, wether it be a vegetable garden or any type of garden, is yours hard landscaped?

Mine is like a cottage garden.

Any pictures of your garden would add more interest to the thread,xx
1712445526464.jpeg

Bananas anyone...in my backyard

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 44153

Bananas anyone...in my backyard
Look at those amazing Banana plants, beautiful architectural plants, I watch a lady from the UK, on YouTube, her channel is called Tropical garden.....

She has banana plants, she has to wrap them in fleece every year to protect them from the frost......I would absolutely love them in my garden, they are such a statement and talking piece.unfortunately my garden is to small....

How old are they? they look so mature,xx

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I watch a lady from the UK, on YouTube, her channel is called Tropical garden.....
I always used to watch Escape to the Country until that station was taken off of the air. Enjoyed the beautiful English gardens and architecture.

I see Escape to the Country is also on YouTube.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Watch YouTube in UK, the tropical gardens in the Uk, London, you would not believe what they have done with a tiny garden..I will look for a vid and post it,xxx

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Look at those amazing Banana plants, beautiful architectural plants, I watch a lady from the UK, on YouTube, her channel is called Tropical garden.....

She has banana plants, she has to wrap them in fleece every year to protect them from the frost......I would absolutely love them in my garden, they are such a statement and talking piece.unfortunately my garden is to small....

How old are they? they look so mature,xx
My friend had tree ferns and he had to protect them with fleece over the winter.

Reactions: Debp and Ritajanice

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Pearl , I cannot believe how similar our gardens are...I will post a picture later,xx
That tree is an Acer and was bought as a couple of twigs from the 'poorly' shelf in the garden centre but it grew and is beautiful whatever the season.

Reactions: Debp and Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That tree is an Acer and was bought as a couple of twigs from the 'poorly' shelf in the garden centre but it grew and is beautiful whatever the season.
I can’t believe it, mine is a Acer as well...I bought it from a young girl selling plants privately....it was so tiny, ..you should see it now.

Is that your garden as it looks now? Xx

I have those poppies all over the garden, they self seed..beautiful they are,xx