Apologetics of low interest in churches

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oz,

I agree that God calls us to use logic. I look forward to reading through your article if you decide to post it on forum.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess what baffles me about the whole thing is this, Why would a church not want to teach the defense of their own faith? Its seems like blindly leading your congregation if you don't address it.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Born_Again said:
I guess what baffles me about the whole thing is this, Why would a church not want to teach the defense of their own faith? Its seems like blindly leading your congregation if you don't address it.
Quite honestly I think it's because most Church leadership prefer just being agreed with, rather than teach apologetics so that their congregation will actually understand and be able to go out and communicate that as such. One of the big reasons why we have so many denominations is because people just accept what they're taught without testing the spirits or knowing how to verify it through the word of God. Many pastors do not do proper exegesis even though they are probably properly taught to do so.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Born_Again said:
And that makes the adults and young people in that church sitting ducks to many kinds of antagonism at university and work.

In my post-Christian culture, I can't do evangelism without engaging in some apologetics. Which defenses will I use if my church doesn't equip me with them? I have had to search them out for myself after a very bad experience of antagonism towards my faith in a university classroom. I was not equipped to deal with it.

Oz

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
OzSpen said:
I live in a very secular, pluralistic country of Australia.

Unless I preach on a apologetics topic in my preaching as an occasional preacher, apologetics' topics go unnoticed in the church I attend.

My observation of churches in Australia and especially in my region of northern Brisbane suburbs, is that apologetics is seldom mentioned. I have been to Presbyterian, Wesleyan, Baptist, Churches of Christ and Pentecostal churches and none of them has apologetics as a core platform of ministry in this very secular Australia. Why is this?

What is it like in your part of the world? I can't remember the seminar on apologetics that I saw advertised in any local church.

I'm interested in hearing how it plays out in your part of the world, and especially if you live in a secularised country like my own.

Oz
Hi OzSpen,

I have been appreciating your topic & read most of it. Some interesting points have been brought out. I agree that apologetics is not specifically taught in the denominations, however as many of us (here in my area) are now functioning in small groups we are more focussed on why we believe as we do & we certainly teach those we mentor now. I would also like to add a few points to the discussion.

1. Jesus spoke to a God fearing people. Israel had the scriptures (OT) & knew of God, His ways & His purposes for them. However they had become `law` rigid, thus the Lord was reminding them that God not only gave them the law but that He desired the heart to have the right motive. (eg. Matt.5:33 - 37) Point: Our generation is not God fearing & thus we need to start further back than Jesus did for Israel.

2. Paul was led by the Holy Spirit & thus was sent to many people who received his message. (though some didn`t)

3. Timing. If a plane does a nose dive you would get everyone looking at how to put on the life jacket, whereas at the start of the journey many were not really paying attention. Thus when the world system goes into a nose dive (as it were) then many, many people will be listening, but really will only want the bottom line, (to start with). God knows each generation & how to reach them.

4. Different abilities. I don`t believe that everyone is able to intellectually understand & defend the faith in great detail. I believe it is for those who study to be approved & led by the Holy Spirit to their particular people, to be able to `speak the truth in love.`

5. Truth is a person. Finally although I love to discuss share my faith, I always need to remember that God although giving the scriptures, has `in these last days spoken to us by His Son.` (Heb.1: 2) Thus it is a person we are sharing of & not just a system of information, (how ever good the apologetics is).

Marilyn.

Reactions: StanJ

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Marilyn C said:
Hi OzSpen,

I have been appreciating your topic & read most of it. Some interesting points have been brought out. I agree that apologetics is not specifically taught in the denominations, however as many of us (here in my area) are now functioning in small groups we are more focussed on why we believe as we do & we certainly teach those we mentor now. I would also like to add a few points to the discussion.

1. Jesus spoke to a God fearing people. Israel had the scriptures (OT) & knew of God, His ways & His purposes for them. However they had become `law` rigid, thus the Lord was reminding them that God not only gave them the law but that He desired the heart to have the right motive. (eg. Matt.5:33 - 37) Point: Our generation is not God fearing & thus we need to start further back than Jesus did for Israel.

2. Paul was led by the Holy Spirit & thus was sent to many people who received his message. (though some didn`t)

3. Timing. If a plane does a nose dive you would get everyone looking at how to put on the life jacket, whereas at the start of the journey many were not really paying attention. Thus when the world system goes into a nose dive (as it were) then many, many people will be listening, but really will only want the bottom line, (to start with). God knows each generation & how to reach them.

4. Different abilities. I don`t believe that everyone is able to intellectually understand & defend the faith in great detail. I believe it is for those who study to be approved & led by the Holy Spirit to their particular people, to be able to `speak the truth in love.`

5. Truth is a person. Finally although I love to discuss share my faith, I always need to remember that God although giving the scriptures, has `in these last days spoken to us by His Son.` (Heb.1: 2) Thus it is a person we are sharing of & not just a system of information, (how ever good the apologetics is).

Marilyn.
These are excellent emphases, Marilyn, which I support. I would add that there is content to the Gospel that in our secular Australia needs to be defended (1 Peter 3:15), like Paul on the Areopagus (Acts 17).

I find there are some excellent opportunities for defense of the faith in online and printed newspapers. I had one such letter published yesterday in the Brisbane Times as I challenged an author who advocated the cancellation of religious instruction in State schools. He was a member of the Rationalist Society who was pushing his Rationalist agenda.

Oz

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
OzSpen said:
These are excellent emphases, Marilyn, which I support. I would add that there is content to the Gospel that in our secular Australia needs to be defended (1 Peter 3:15), like Paul on the Areopagus (Acts 17).

I find there are some excellent opportunities for defense of the faith in online and printed newspapers. I had one such letter published yesterday in the Brisbane Times as I challenged an author who advocated the cancellation of religious instruction in State schools. He was a member of the Rationalist Society who was pushing his Rationalist agenda.

Oz
Hi Ozspen,

I think that is a great area that needs to be utilized more - the media. So many people read news papers etc that we would never reach in our daily lives. They can read the topic at leisure & think about the points. A very good avenue. I have in the past written into the Shep. news & other papers. I also think that equipping those I mentor with the key reasons for why we believe what we do is very important. At the moment we are concentrating on the Eschatological area as this is the one that is needing clarification. That is why it is such a hot topic today, I believe.

Good talking to you, Marilyn.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Marilyn C said:
Hi Ozspen,

I think that is a great area that needs to be utilized more - the media. So many people read news papers etc that we would never reach in our daily lives. They can read the topic at leisure & think about the points. A very good avenue. I have in the past written into the Shep. news & other papers. I also think that equipping those I mentor with the key reasons for why we believe what we do is very important. At the moment we are concentrating on the Eschatological area as this is the one that is needing clarification. That is why it is such a hot topic today, I believe.

Good talking to you, Marilyn.
Good morning Marilyn,

Keep up the good work of writing to the newspapers. I write on other than Christian topics as well. This week I've had 2 letters published in 2 of our local freebies on the referendum for 4-year terms in the Qld parliament. I disagree and have voted 'No' to the referendum in a pre-poll vote. When we lived in Shep, my wife was private secretary to the manager of the Shep News.

So you are entering the minefield of eschatology. I wish you well. Is this being taught in the home group you attend?

In Christ,
Oz

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
OzSpen said:

Good morning Marilyn,

Keep up the good work of writing to the newspapers. I write on other than Christian topics as well. This week I've had 2 letters published in 2 of our local freebies on the referendum for 4-year terms in the Qld parliament. I disagree and have voted 'No' to the referendum in a pre-poll vote. When we lived in Shep, my wife was private secretary to the manager of the Shep News.

So you are entering the minefield of eschatology. I wish you well. Is this being taught in the home group you attend?

In Christ,
Oz
Hi OzSpen,

That`s great that you are a voice out there for those topics. People need to hear a clear voice so they are not swayed by their `feelings.`

As to Eschatology study. I have been taught different in some details than many others, so have been presenting them to our friends over many years. The teachings are from the past President of a main line denomination. I will post some on this forum so that people can discuss.

Look forward to some interesting discussions & debates.

Blessings, Marilyn.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Marilyn C said:
Hi OzSpen,

That`s great that you are a voice out there for those topics. People need to hear a clear voice so they are not swayed by their `feelings.`

As to Eschatology study. I have been taught different in some details than many others, so have been presenting them to our friends over many years. The teachings are from the past President of a main line denomination. I will post some on this forum so that people can discuss.

Look forward to some interesting discussions & debates.

Blessings, Marilyn.
Thanks again, Marilyn, for your response.

Which view on eschatology are you presenting to your friends?

Oz

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
OzSpen said:
Thanks again, Marilyn, for your response.

Which view on eschatology are you presenting to your friends?

Oz

Hi OzSpen,

Thank you for your interest in what I believe. I am a pre-tribber however with differences. I`ll just give a quick view as obviously each will need to be discussed.

1. Dan. 2. (feet & toes) Not the revived Roman Empire, & Dan. 7. Contemporary view.
2. `catching away,` purpose of the Body.
3. Trib. The 7 seals as an overview.
4. The Millennium. Where will the Lord reign.
5. New Heavens & New Earth, God`s purposes for the three groups.

Hope that whets your appetite for a good discussion of these topics in God`s word.

Marilyn.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Marilyn C said:
Hi OzSpen,

Thank you for your interest in what I believe. I am a pre-tribber however with differences. I`ll just give a quick view as obviously each will need to be discussed.

1. Dan. 2. (feet & toes) Not the revived Roman Empire, & Dan. 7. Contemporary view.

Hope that whets your appetite for a good discussion of these topics in God`s word.

Marilyn.
Marilyn C said:
Hi OzSpen,

Marilyn.

Marilyn,

Why don't you start a new thread on this topic in 'Eschatology & Prophecy' forum at: http://www.christianityboard.com/forum/14-eschatology-prophecy-forum/

Oz