Are all sins forgiven, adultery or witchcraft or alcoholism or homosexuality?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 12: 31-32 "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven.
Welcome to our community!

What does the following mean to you?

Matthew 12:31-32

Young's Literal Translation

31 Because of this I say to you, all sin and evil speaking shall be forgiven to men, but the evil speaking of the Spirit shall not be forgiven to men.
32 And whoever may speak a word against the Son of Man it shall be forgiven to him, but whoever may speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is coming.

Tomorrow

Aug 14, 2023
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Matthew 12:31-32​

Young's Literal Translation​

31 Because of this I say to you, all sin and evil speaking shall be forgiven to men, but the evil speaking of the Spirit shall not be forgiven to men.
32 And whoever may speak a word against the Son of Man it shall be forgiven to him, but whoever may speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is coming.
I didn't hear Jesus necessarily say that. For me the Son of Man was the physical Holy Spirit of God.

Isn't that passage the only one that puts a condition on God's forgiveness of sins?

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't that passage the only one that puts a condition on God's forgiveness of sins?
The translation that I provided says that those who commit blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven in this age or the next age. It does NOT say that they will "never" be forgiven. Hence, they WILL be forgiven eventually.

Tomorrow

Aug 14, 2023
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Young's Literal Translation​

I didn't hear Jesus necessarily say that. For me the Son of Man was the physical Holy Spirit of God.

The translation that I provided says that those who commit blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven in this age or the next age. It does NOT say that they will "never" be forgiven. Hence, they WILL be forgiven eventually.
Great point.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great point.

The King James translation is different. Which do you believe is correct, if either?

Matthew 12:31-32

King James Version

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And there is this:

Mathew 12:31-32 CLNT
31 "Therefore I am saying to you, Every sin and blasphemy shall be pardoned men, yet the blasphemy of the spirit shall not be pardoned.
32 And whosoever may be saying a word against the Son of Mankind, it will be pardoned him, yet whoever may be saying aught against the holy spirit, it shall not be pardoned him, neither in this eon nor in that which is impending.

Tomorrow

Aug 14, 2023
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The King James translation is different. Which do you believe is correct, if either?

King James Version​

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
Well, that version makes it sound eternally unforgivable.

I haven't chosen an exclusive Bible version yet.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, that version makes it sound eternally unforgivable.
Yes, the KJV and most other English translations teach that Jesus sends people to a place of FOREVER punishment. To those that believe that doctrine, their view on this thread is that, no, not all sins are forgiven. To that, I respond with scripture:

1 Corinthians 15:22 ESV
22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.

P.S. I like the ESV translation for its ease of reading as it uses modern English. However, in scriptures that deal with time ("eternal", "everlasting", etc.) I refer to the YLT and/or CLNT.

Reactions: Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Aug 14, 2023
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the KJV and most other English translations teach that Jesus sends people to a place of FOREVER punishment. To those that believe that doctrine, their view on this thread is that, no, not all sins are forgiven. To that, I respond with scripture:

1 Corinthians 15:22 ESV
22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.

P.S. I like the ESV translation for its ease of reading as it uses modern English. However, in scriptures that deal with time ("eternal", "everlasting", etc.) I refer to the YLT and/or CLNT.
I like ESV. I found The Book at a used books store. I really like the tenor of that bible. It keeps to scripture and is very warm hearted in how it delivers them.
I'm looking for a readable, accurate, Greek to English translation. I've learned the New testament language is originally Greek.
Holman's is a good read. And Young's too.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like ESV. I found The Book at a used books store. I really like the tenor of that bible. It keeps to scripture and is very warm hearted in how it delivers them.
I'm looking for a readable, accurate, Greek to English translation. I've learned the New testament language is originally Greek.
Holman's is a good read. And Young's too.
Young's and the Concordant Literal New Testament are the most accurate.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Most go to their grave having never been permitted to believe.

John 3:16 says that you need to think about what "For God so loved the WORLD:" = means

As "world" is not "some".

Jesus didn't die for the "elect".
He died for "SINNERS">
"sinners" who believed and are born again become the "elect".
THat's how that works out.

"Jesus came into the world to save SINNERS", and who is that?

That is you, me, everyone.

Its this....>"for God so love the WORLD"... .of sinners.

Thats everyone..

= God GAVE JESUS for us all.

Welcome to Salvation.
Everyone... "the WORLD".. John 3:16-17...... is invited to the Cross.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 3:16 says that you need to think about what "For God so loved the WORLD:" = means

As "world" is not "some".

Jesus didn't die for the "elect".
He died for "SINNERS">
"sinners" who believed and are born again become the "elect".
THat's how that works out.

"Jesus came into the world to save SINNERS", and who is that?

That is you, me, everyone.

Its this....>"for God so love the WORLD"... .of sinners.

Thats everyone..

= God GAVE JESUS for us all.

Welcome to Salvation.
Everyone... "the WORLD".. John 3:16-17...... is invited to the Cross.
I agree with you but Jesus said that no one can follow him unless it is granted by the Father.

Why does God not permit all people to believe in Jesus while living in this world?

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is that in the bible?
"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day."
John 6:44

2 Tim 1:9

"Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,"

Matthew 22:14

"For many are called, but few are chosen.”

And one might ask then, what of "free will"...nother can of worms.

Welcome to the site @Tomorrow
We hope you will enjoy your time here.
Lot of different ideas of how to "interpret scripture" of course, lol. But that is what happens when iron clashes (Iron sharpens iron) :)

Lot's of wonderful hearts here. And as it is still, the tares and the wheat must grow together!

Tomorrow

Aug 14, 2023
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day."
John 6:44

2 Tim 1:9

"Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,"

Matthew 22:14

"For many are called, but few are chosen.”

And one might ask then, what of "free will"...nother can of worms.

Welcome to the site @Tomorrow
We hope you will enjoy your time here.
Lot of different ideas of how to "interpret scripture" of course, lol. But that is what happens when iron clashes (Iron sharpens iron) :)

Lot's of wonderful hearts here. And as it is still, the tares and the wheat must grow together!
Great! I appreciate you sharing those.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great! I appreciate you sharing those.
There is also this, which refers to Israel and that not all of its Jews are permitted to believe in Christ until the "fullness of the Gentiles comes in". Paul was cautioning his church NOT to consider themselves wise and that is because God permitted them to believe but had not yet permitted all of the Jews to believe.

Romans 11:25
Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you take time to read in 1 John,

You will see,

1 John 2​

New King James Version​

The Test of Knowing Christ​

2 My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

The Test of Knowing Him​

3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.

4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God [a]is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him.

6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

7 [b]Brethren, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you heard [c]from the beginning.

8 Again, a new commandment I write to you, which thing is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining.

9 He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now.

10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him.

11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.​

• Love