Are ghosts real?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are ghosts real?

• Total voters

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe you don't care what anyone says if it contradicts your reading of Scripture.

I have posted the scripture.

The inspired writer explicitly said it was Samuel.

That is not “my reading”. I am merely accepting what the passage IS SAYING!

Scripture. So, what if other Scriptural passages contradict your reading? Luke 16:26 suggests that it could not have happened

Luke 16:26 does not address witchcraft. It only addresses the limits of the deceased, not the witches access to them.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh for goodness sake.

Who wrote the red text below?

And Samuel said to Saul, Why have you disturbed me, to bring me up?” (1 Samuel 28:15)

The writer says that Samuel spoke to Saul! Not that Saul thought it was Samuel!

You think the narrator lied to us??!!

Good grief!!!

The Bible links silence, not talking, with death. We read at Psalm 115: 17 “The dead themselves do not praise Jah [YHWH], nor do any going down into silence.”
First, it is clear that what Saul did in consulting a spirit medium was a violation of God’s law. Both spirit mediums and those consulting them were judged guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:6, 27)
God’s law to Israel stated: “Do not turn yourselves to the spirit mediums, and do not consult professional foretellers of events, so as to become unclean by them.” (Leviticus 19:31) “When you are entered into the land that YHWH your God is giving you, you must not learn to do according to the detestable things of those nations. There should not be found in you . . . anyone who consults a spirit medium or a professional foreteller of events or anyone who inquires of the dead.”(Deuteronomy 18:9-11; Isaiah 8:19, 20)

If spirit mediums could actually get in touch with the dead, why, then, did God’s law label their practice as something “unclean,” “detestable” and deserving of death? If the communication were with dead loved ones, for example, why would a God of love designate this as a terrible crime? Why would he want to deprive the living of getting some comforting messages from the dead? Does not God’s view indicate that people are not really talking to the dead but that a terrible deception must be involved? Scriptural evidence shows that is the case.

Consider the case of Saul. Regarding divine communication with him, Saul acknowledged: “God himself has departed from me and has answered me no more, either by means of the prophets or by dreams; so that I am calling you [Samuel] to let me know what I shall do.” (1 Samuel 28:15) Obviously, God would not allow a spirit medium to get around this divine cutoff of communication by getting in touch with a dead prophet and having him deliver a message from God to Saul. Then, too, during the latter part of his life, Samuel himself, a faithful prophet of God, had ceased to have any dealings whatsoever with Saul. Would it not be unreasonable, therefore, to conclude that Samuel was willing to speak with Saul by means of a spirit medium, an arrangement that was condemned by God?

There obviously was a deception involved, something so unclean that spirit mediums and those consulting them merited the death sentence. That same deception must be behind claimed communication with the dead today.

The scriptures that say that anyone talking to the dead or inquring from the dead as Saul did are dealing with an arrangement that's demonic. God would not talk to king Saul because of God's rejection of him. But you think that Satan can force God to talk to king Saul through the prophet Samuel through an arrangement that God detests? You can continue to claim all you want that God approves of such arrangements as those who talk to the dead, but you are wrong for thinking God approves or has anything to do with any demonic arrangement of communication much less be forced into communicating through such a demonic arrangement.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BARNEY BRIGHT I am not interested in a “multiple paragraph” battle over a case that is closed.

I presented the scripture that plainly shuts down your babbling.

Game Over.

There’s no “continue” option. You used up all of your quarters.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BARNEY BRIGHT I am not interested in a “multiple paragraph” battle over a case that is closed.

I presented the scripture that plainly shuts your babbling down.

Game Over.

2 Sam. 2:18 plainly says “Asahel was as swift of foot as a wild gazelle,” and therefore you believe it? Game Over there as well, Michiah? Usain Bolt would have had no chance against him even with a ten meter head start, right?

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Outrageous!

I’m saying no such thing!

I am just telling you what the scriptures are saying. And the scriptures aren’t even saying that it is okay to associate with such things as you say.

How do you equate a scriptural narrative of an event to an approval of such an event??!!

Yes you are saying that God approves of such an arrangement and yes you're being outrageous for saying such a thing. You are saying that God communicated through the prophet Samuel by way of a spiritistic arrangement, specifically by using a woman that talked to the dead an arrangement that God view as detestable and anyone having to do with such an arrangement is guilty of a capital crime. So obviously according to you since you're saying this person king Saul talked to was actually the prophet Samuel you're saying God talked to king Saul through the prophet Samuel by using a woman who talks to the dead. God wouldn't use an arrangement of communication that belongs to Satan. But since you're saying that God did use this arrangement of communication that belongs to Satan to talk to King Saul you obviously believe this was ok for God to use an arrangement that belongs to Satan, so yes, you're saying that God approves this arrangement of communication that belongs to Satan. God doesn't use any arrangement of talking to people that belongs to Satan, but you are saying that God did use an arrangement of talking to king Saul that did belong to Satan. I'm not going to agree with you you're going against Scripture.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I presented the scripture that plainly shuts down your babbling.

Game Over.

Then you continue to deceive yourself in believing a lie is the truth.

Reactions: JohnPaul and RedFan

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which plainly means that Asahel was a man of great running speed (according to human ability).

Reaching desperation are we?

Why aren't you taking 2 Sam. 2:18 literally? After all, you're taking 1 Sam. 28 literally. How can you tell the difference?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes you are saying that God approves of such an arrangement and yes you're being outrageous for saying such a thing.

@BARNEY BRIGHT you are stubborn and continue to surmise evil things unjustly against me.

You are a proud man who denies what is plainly written.

“He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth… from such withdraw thyself.” (1 Timothy 6:4-5)

I therefore withdraw myself from further communication with you in this matter.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are ghosts real?
OP ^

I would clarify and say a ghost is simply another name for a created spirit.

And Yes God created “spirits”.
Some remained with God, Some rejected God and were sent away without God.

Can “spirits/ghosts” appear in a likeness men recognize, such as the appearance of a earthly man? Yes.

Can “spirits/ghosts” appear in a likeness other than an earthly man? Perhaps.

Can “spirits/ghosts” enter into an earthly men, an animal?
Yes...(with exceptions that prevent them from entering within men).

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.” (Proverbs 8:9)

Then you are surely blessed to understandeth First Samuel so well. Maybe you can understandeth this one. Mark 2:26 quotes Jesus as saying that David entered the house of God and ate the altar bread “when Abiathar was high priest.” 1 Sam. 21:1-6 is explicit that Ahimelech, not his son Abiathar, was high priest at the time. Which is correct?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you continue to deceive yourself in believing a lie is the truth.

Just so that everyone is clear:

@BARNEY BRIGHT is saying that the inspired writer lied when he wrote the following:

And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up?” (1 Samuel 28:15)

The enemies of truth are tireless.

@BARNEY BRIGHT Be careful you are not blaspheming the Holy Spirit by implying it lied to us in scripture!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reaching desperation are we?

Not at all.

I turn you over to the Lord.

Mock on and tighten the Lord’s grip on you!

“…there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.” (Jude 1:18)

“…The Lord rebuke thee..” (Jude 1:9-10)

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at all.

I turn you over to the Lord.

Mock on and tighten the Lord’s grip on you!

“…there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.” (Jude 1:18)

“…The Lord rebuke thee..” (Jude 1:9-10)

And silly me, all this time I thought this was a Christian Debate forum! I see now I was wrong. I see now that anyone posting on this site with the temerity to disagree with you needs to be rebuked.

Maybe the Lord will deputize YOU to rebuke me, by showing how the contradiction between Mark 2:26 and 1 Samuel 21:1-6 can be resolved.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BARNEY BRIGHT you are stubborn and continue to surmise evil things unjustly against me.

You are a proud man who denies what is plainly written.

“He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth… from such withdraw thyself.” (1 Timothy 6:4-5)

I therefore withdraw myself from further communication with you in this matter.

If you are truly a Christian you know that God has said in his word that those who practices spiritism which includes talking to the dead, are guilty of a capital crime deserving the death penalty. This shows that God doesn't want his people associating with such people. But you think God wanted his faithful servant Samuel to associate with an arrangement of communication that he condemned and that God viewed as an arrangement of communication that Satan uses. You're not going to convince me that God uses an arrangement of communication that belongs to Satan and that God views as detestable. He doesn't use such a arrangement of communication, which means he doesn't use his faithful servants to communicate through such an arrangement he views as belonging to Satan and is detestable to him.

Reactions: JohnPaul

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never seen a ghost or witnessed any supernatural activity so I'm not sure.
How about you?

Nope, never PERSONALLY witnessed any "Spiritual manifestations" but do know folks who have. And I've prayed through several houses (including my own). In Ohio there was a "Dark man" upstairs that used to scare my kids untril we prayed it out

Do you think ghosts real??

The term "ghosts" conjures up all sorts of Hollywood foolishness (and "Hollywood "ghosts" are always MORE POWERFUL than God, or His ministers who are "Powerless" against them).

However satan IS NOT without power, and even as God can produce signs and wonders, satan can also, as the Bible states (2 Thess 2:9). But the "Ghost" of Aunt Agatha isn't really "Aunt Agatha" at all, but a demonic phantasm masquerading as her, and speaking things that are specifically to mislead/defile/spiritually harm you. After all, satan watched Aunt Agatha when she was alive, and can make her phantasm VERY convincing.

9 out of 10 "spiritualist mediums" are phony as a three dollar bill - BUT there are REAL satanically driven ones that can do their victims GREAT HARM.

So - "Ghosts" in the Hollywood sense - nah. Don't exist (including"Slimer")

But demonic Phantasms of all sorts?? ABSOLUTELY!!!! That's what the "apparitions of Mary" that the Catholics tout are. Purely satanic "wonders" for the purpose of DIMINISHING Jesus, and boosting The Catholic version of His mother.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you think God wanted his faithful servant Samuel to associate with an arrangement of communication that he condemned

God does not chose to control a witches’ access to the dead. Nor does God chose to control a soothsayers access to some secrets (Acts of the Apostles 16:16). Samuel wasn’t a willing participant, he was raised up by the witch.

God rebuked these witches here (open you ears):

“And say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Woe to the women that sew pillows to all armholes, and make kerchiefs upon the head of every stature to hunt souls! Will ye hunt the souls of my people, and will ye save the souls alive that come unto you? And will ye pollute me among my people for handfuls of barley and for pieces of bread, to slay the souls that should not die, and to save the souls alive that should not live, by your lying to my people that hear your lies? Wherefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against your pillows, wherewith ye there hunt the souls to make them fly, and I will tear them from your arms, and will let the souls go, even the souls that ye hunt to make them fly. Your kerchiefs also will I tear, and deliver my people out of your hand, and they shall be no more in your hand to be hunted; and ye shall know that I am the LORD.” (Ezekiel 13:18-21)

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B.