Are Jehovah's witnesses real Christians?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I have never shied from telling you , ou are lost. I however can defend my "Christianity" straight from the bible. YOu cannot. As long as you reject teh physical resurrection of Jesus, you remain lost and that is a very sad tragedy.
Please show me in the Bible why it is necessary go believe not just that Jesus was resurrected, but that he was raised physically?

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, you reason most assuredly, and that is the problem. Your human reasoning blinds you to the truth. You see the word worship, and declare that when it applies to the Father, it is true worship, but when it applies to the Son, it is some lesser form of obeisance. That is arbitrary decision making based on assumptions regarding your understanding of begotten.

Oh, they are scriptural alright, but you make the scripture to say a lie.

He begat. That is the word the holy Spirit used. In every instance in scripture, that weird is used in the context of literal Father child relationships. Every time. You say you believe Jesus is the only begotten Son, but deny it by placing Him on the level of mortal man or the angels. I also believe he was begotten before creation, as scripture clearly declares the Son as the Creator of all things. All things. He didn't create himself. He wasn't created, He was begotten. Nowhere else in scripture does it use the word begotten in the sense of creating.
No where in scripture is the word begotten applied to someone who has no beginning.

Reactions: Brakelite

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree about His position. The Son inherits all things from His Father.
Authority, creative power, everlasting life, His Father's name, children, priesthood and judgment.

Looking unto Jesus we see that it is the glory of our God to give. 'I do nothing of Myself,' said Christ; 'the living Father hath sent Me, and I live by the Father.' 'I seek not Mine own glory,' but the glory of Him that sent Me. John 8:28; 6:57; 8:50; 7:18. In these words is set forth the great principle which is the law of life for the universe. All things Christ received from God, but He took to give. So in the heavenly courts, in His ministry for all created beings: through the beloved Son, the Father's life flows out to all; through the Son it returns, in praise and joyous service, a tide of love, to the great Source of all. And thus through Christ the circuit of beneficence is complete, representing the character of the great Giver, the law of life.

Heb 1:2 God has spoken to us by His Son whom He has appointed heir of all things.
Mark 12:7 "this is the heir, let us kill him."
Jesus identified Himself as God's heir in this parable.
Matt 11:27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father (see also Luke 10:22)
Matt 28:18 All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth
John 3:35 The Father loves the Son, and has given all things into his hand

Christ received His equality and position from His Father through inheritance. Created beings such as angels do not have any inheritance... Our inheritance comes through adoption, Christ's inheritance comes through being the true Prince of the universal King.

The Father had made known that it was ordained by Himself that Christ His Son, should be equal with Himself; so that wherever was the presence of His Son, it was as His own presence. "This is My Son: hear ye Him". The word of the Son was to be obeyed as readily as the word of the Father. His Son He had invested with authority to command the heavenly host. Hence why He was known as Michael, the arch angel. Not a created being, but the true Lord of hosts, the commander of the heavenly armies.

The life of the Son is the same life of the Father.

John 5:26 for the Father "has given to the Son to have life (zoen) in Himself"...
"as the Father has life in Himself"
Greek uses three words to express our English concept of life: zoe, bios and psuche.
These appear in our English words for zoo, biology, and psyche.
Bios, biosis, biotikis is reserved for "the things of this common earthly life"

Luke 8:14 The seed is choked by the cares of this life (bios)
2Tim 2:4 the affairs of this life (bios)
1Cor 6:3,4 the things that pertain to this life (bios)
1Tim 2:2 Pray for those in authority that we may have a quiet and peaceful life (bios) in this world.
1Jn 2:10 The pride of life (bios) is not of the Father.
Luke 21:34 drunkenness and cares of this life (bios)
Scripture uses zoe almost exclusively to indicate immortal, eternal life;
the life Jesus had and gives to us.

Matt 19:16 What shall I do to inherit eternal life (zoe)?
Matt 19:17 If you will enter into life (zoe) keep the commandments
John 1:4 In Him was life (zoe)
'In him was life, and the life was the light of men.' It is not physical life that is here specified, but immortality, the life which is exclusively the property of God.

Acts 3:15 Jesus is the Prince of life (zoe)
John 10:10 He came that we might have life (zoe), not just physical life, but eternal life!
Jesus gives this life to His creatures

ICor 8.6 there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ,
through whom all things came and through whom we live.

All created things live by the will and power of God. They are dependent recipients of the life of the Son of God....All the human beings in our world take their life from Him. He is the spring, the fountain of life.

The Father's life flows through the beloved Son out to all created beings.

John 6:57 Thus, the Son lives by the Father
1Cor 15:27,28 For He (God the Father) has put all things under his (the Son's) feet.
But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that He (God the Father) is excepted, which did put all things under him.
And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto Him that put all things under him (Son), that God (the Father) may be all in all.
Thus, Jesus is Ruler over all (except His Father).
He is still subject to His Father who is God over all.
The Father is the Source of all things,
the absolute highest authority, even above His Son.

1Cor 11:3 The head of Christ is God
Col 1:18 But Christ is the head of the church…
that in all things He might have the preeminence.
The Father Gives His Power to the Son
God endowed His Son with all the rights, privileges, power and authority of the Godhead.

Matt 28:18 All power is given unto Me in heaven and in earth (from the Father)
Heb 1:3 upholding all things by the word of His (the Father's) power
John 17:2 You [Father] have given him [Jesus Christ] power over all flesh
Col 2:9 For in him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily
Col 1:19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fullness dwell
Rev 2:27 Jesus received of His Father authority to rule over the nations with a rod of iron
John 5:27 The Father has given the Son authority to execute judgment
Jesus then used the power from His Father to create all things.

The Father Created all things by the Word, His Son, Jesus Christ
Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth
2 Pet 3:5 by the word of God the heavens were of old and the earth standing out of and in the water
Acts 17:24 God…made the world and all things therein,
seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth
Isa 40:28 the everlasting God, the Lord,
the Creator of the ends of the earth faints not, neither is weary
Isa 45:18 the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it.
The Father accomplished all this creative work by or through His Son, the Word of God. And the Word was God, and became flesh.

JW's fail to recognize the true stature and the true position of the Son of God, their they fall short of recognizing the true sacrifice made by the Father in giving His Son to the human race, (an eternal transaction) and also fall short in recognizing the true depth of love for mankind by the Father and Son through what took place in the incarnation and Calvary.
I’m amazed that you think this post supports the trinity.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should we worship humans in the same way we worship God?

Most people would worship their creditors when faced with consequences like these:

“But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.” (Matthew 18:25)

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really have no idea what you mean by this. Unless multiple posts are quoted, poster are replying ONLY to the post they quote.

You just responded to this:
Robert Gwin said:
You said they say they are Christians, and read the Bible, thank you sir, a classic example of how one forgets previous posts, and how you are basically responding to the immediately previous post.

And I just responded to this:
I really have no idea what you mean by this. Unless multiple posts are quoted, poster are replying ONLY to the post they quote.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great point. How one can possibly read John and conclude he is definitely NOT God is to read the text WITHOUT imposing a trinitarian interpretation unto the unitarian text.

For instance 20:31 explicitly says everything he wrote was to prove something other than the idea that Jesus is God. So, it is funny to see trinitarians repurpose John’s words.

The bad thing about it is, that if Jesus is God we have no hope as he is a liar, he would have lied at Mk 10:40 and 13:32 straight up. Of course not only is that a serious sin, but trust is out the door. All the apostles who bore personal testimony about him were willing to sacrifice their lives for it. I don't think they would have done so if they were not fully convinced who he was. I know I wouldn't. But I can see how they might think it beneficial to the survival of humanity.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, totally agree, my experience also, but the transaction I was thinking of was the Son's own transaction in exchanging His former nature for which he sacrificed and taking upon Himself the nature of man.

He had to make himself a corresponding ransom to satisfy God's equal law Brake.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bad thing about it is, that if Jesus is God we have no hope as he is a liar, he would have lied at Mk 10:40 and 13:32 straight up.
The same with John 12:49. Not much of a God who was sent, submits to the will of another person, only says what he’s told and even HOW to say it. As you point out, if Jesus were the all powerful Creator, it is odd that he cannot even chose who sits next to him. And he admits he is less than and knows less than another.

Acts 17:31 explicitly says God - not the Father - but God - in his wholeness, in his unitarian nature raised Jesus from the dead.

IMO, only someone totally indoctrinated could be exposed to such explicit text and conclude Jesus is God.

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One Faith? What are you asking, Robert?

Walter

You posted the Bible states there is one faith Eph 4:5. I assumed you believe what you posted sir, so I asked if you believe the Bible identifies that faith, that one road to life Mat 7:14, or do you think God leaves us to go our own way Walt?

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continued From No.131

John 1:1a . . In the beginning was the Word

The Greek translated "word" in that verse is logos (log'-os) which is
somewhat ambiguous. One of its meanings pertains to vocal expression; for
example:

Gen 1:3 . . God said: Let there be light

So the cosmos-- all of its forms of life, matter, and energy --came into
existence by means of God's voice, viz: by means of His speech.

2Pet 3:5 . . By the word of God the heavens existed long ago, and the
earth was formed out of water and by water

John 1:1b . . and the Word was God.

Now, the thing is: we pretty much have to spell the God in that verse with
upper case so that there's absolutely no mistaking whose speech we're
talking about. If someone wants to say that God's speech is a deity; okay,
but we cannot allow for God's own vocal expressions to be any less divine
than Himself.

NOTE: The Watchtower Society claims the Word is a celestial being named
Michael; which implies that whenever Jehovah speaks, an angel comes flying
out of His mouth.

According to John 1:14, God's spoken words took on the nature of human
life. How it's possible for God's spoken words to be anything other than His
vocalizations, I haven't a clue; but if God's spoken words can become
human, then there are no doubt many other things they could become
should God want them to: for example clouds, flames, winds, or even bolts
of lightning.

I haven't a clue how it is that God's spoken words constitute a divine being;
nevertheless, John 1:1-3 says the Word is exactly that. But we are not
talking about two divine beings in that passage; only one; and that's
because (to my knowledge) God has only one voice with which to speak His
words.

The Watch Tower Society alleges that the Logos (a.k.a. the Word) is a
celestial being named Michael the arch angel. Well; I seriously doubt that an
angel comes flying out of God's mouth whenever He says something. Also,
were God's voice to be an angel, that would mean that all the while that
Michael wasn't existing as an angel when he was in human form, God was
speechless.
_

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In one JW picture from JW.org they show Jesus with one nail going through his hands of which you can check out in their website page here.

Okay. Did you look at the picture at the JW website?
If you didn’t, please do so now so you can understand what I am talking about.

Did you do it?
Stop if you have not looked at the picture, and go to the official JW website and look at the picture now.

Okay. If you looked at the picture, it shows a picture of ONE of nail in his hands.
ONE NAIL. SINGULAR is in his hands.

Yet, in John 20:25 of their own New World Translation (on their own website) states, “Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails...”; In the photo of Jesus they have on their official website with him being on a stake they show only ONE NAIL in his hands. Yet, their own translation on their website says NAILS (PLURAL) in his hands. So they are contradicting themselves yet again. The Bible they used before the New World Translation that they used was the King James Bible (KJB). The KJB mentions the word “cross” and not a “stake” that their new updated catered Bible falsely says. So again, this shows that they are not even being consistent in their own theology (Which means they are simply making this stuff up out of thin air). So JW’s were wrong before on reading the word “cross” in the KJB? How can a cross be a stake? It cannot. That’s why what you believe is simply silly. I could keep going but this should be sufficient to show the silliness of the JW religion.

Side Note:

I would not be surprised if someone mentioned this to one of the JW cult leaders and they simply change the translation yet again to fit their theology. But good thing we are talking about it now and we have the WayBackMachine on the internet.

Aah, I get your point BH, truth is Jesus died on a Stauros, and it is defined as an upright pole. We believe it was a stake and that his hands were together upright. No one knows how he was hung, but the method of death is suffocation and having the arms outward is not an efficient way to accomplish this. We believe his hands were together as were his feet. The Bible has the word nails, but interestingly if you look up the original word in the Strongs it says this:
h|loß Helos (hay'-los); Noun Masculine, Strong #: 2247

1. a nail
KJV Word Usage and Count
nail 2

Which is really weird as they say nails as well in their version. Who knows how many nails were used, but I believe you are trying to promote the cross as being sacred to our worship. Is not this is the real issue you are trying to promote BH?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another silly thing that you are probably totally clueless about is that the King James Bible you JW guys used to use in the past was based on a complete different set of manuscripts then the one you are using now.

#1. KJB = Textus Receptus / Masoretic Text.
#2. Most Modern Bibles in general = Nestle and Aland text which uses the Westcott and Hort text as one of it’s primary sources.
#3. Modern Bible New World Translation (JW’s Bible) = Westcott and Hort text.

Doctrines have been radically changed to fit the Arian viewpoint with these new manuscripts for your supposed unbiased JW translation. So you used to follow a set of manuscripts (KJB) that destroys the Arian viewpoint. This is why you really abandoned the KJB. You guys say it was to put away archaisms (i.e. archaic words), but that is not the real or major reason. If you were out to simply update the text, you would have used the same manuscripts that were based on the KJB. But it’s obvious you guys sided with a different set of texts that defends Arianism (Because that is what you guys believe). Again, this shows that what you believe is not unbiased.

The simple truth is sir, that the Bible does not exist. The KJV of the Bible alters many verses to support the trinity doctrine. They deliberately remove God's name and replace it with LORD, and some even have it explained in their forward if they included it. I use Ps 110:1 as a prime example as it really makes no sense, but at any rate it is easy to research today to see what occurred there originally if one is honest and sincere anyway. Does it not clearly say that YHWH said to Adonai in Hebrew BH? So why alter the passage?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Robert Gwin

A List of Doctrines Changed in God's Word:
(Between the KJB and Modern Translations):

#1. Doctrine of The Trinity is Effected; For the Only Verse (1 John 5:7) That Point Blank Tells Us About the Trinity is Removed:

If I was on an island, and I had no clue about Christianity, the odds of my understanding the Trinity is better if I had a King James bible vs. a Modern Translation bible that removes this valuable truth on knowing the Trinity. So this proves that Modern Translations are less helpful for me to understand the Trinity by using the Bible alone.

#2. The Doctrine of Fasting So As To Cast Out Persistent Demons is Removed:
Matthew 17:21 that tells us that casting out persistent or really strong devils is by prayer and fasting. Yet, Matthew 17:21 is oddly removed in Modern Translations. Mark 9:29 mentions that you can pray to remove these kinds of devils, but it does not mention fasting. So the key doctrine of fasting so as to cast out really strong demons is gone. So the enemy wins if a person only adheres to the Modern Translations and they have a hate on for the KJV. For if you ever encountered strong demonic activity like this before, you know that fasting does actually help greatly, and not just prayer alone.

#3. The Full Version of the Doctrine on Having "No Condemnation" According to Romans 8:1 is Removed:
Romans 8:1 says, "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." Modern Translations leave out the part that says, "who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." The KJV says, as a part of having no Condemnation: We have to (a) Be in Christ Jesus, AND: (b) Walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. The enemy wants Christians today to justify sin instead of battling against it. So the enemy will do everything he can to give a person a water down version on His holy Word to promote the idea that they do not need to worry about sin destroying their soul.

#4. The Doctrine of Psalms 12:7 that the Lord will Preserve His Words Forever is Altered.
Psalms 12:6 says the words of the Lord are pure words, and in Psalms 12:7, the Psalmist says that the Lord will preserve them forever. It's kind of funny or odd that those who are against a perfect Bible existing in our world language today (i.e. the KJV) just so happen to favor Modern translations that remove and alter this very verse. Some do not even believe there is a perfect Bible out there. So who decides what words in the Bible are the true words of God? Do they decide? Now, some may say the perfect Word exists in the original languages. But Habakkuk 2:2 says write the words plainly so that he that reads it may run. So it's not going to be some gobbledygook language that nobody can understand (like biblical Hebrew, and biblical Greek). In fact, all we have today are copies of the original languages. This is not the case with the KJV. Meaning, His Word is preserved forever. His Word moved with the times. For God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. His Word does not exist perfectly in some dead language, but His Word exists in the English (Which is the world language of today).

#5. In Genesis 3:16, the ESV (Which is one of the most popular Modern Translations) Doctrinally Changes the Nature of the Truth in the KJV by Saying that Eve's (the wife's) Desire is Contrary To Her Husband.

full

#6. 2 Corinthians 3:12, and Habakkuk 2:2 is Altered by Modern Translations To Eliminate That God Uses Plainness of Speech.

This is important to understand because Modern Translation folk tend to prefer to look to the original languages to understand God's Word as their one and only go to source. This is not the plainness of speech that God employs. While God can speak in metaphor, or parables, He also speaks in plainness of speech, too. This has to be applicable to our life today in some way. Surely it is not a coincidence that these two key verses are eliminated in their favored Modern Translations (that influences their way of thinking).

#7. Philippians 2:7 Changes Doctrine by Removing an Aspect of the Deity of Christ During His Earthly Ministry.
Philippians 2:6-7 says correctly,

6 “Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:” (Philippians 2:6-7).
King James correctly says that Christ made himself of no reputation.

Various different Modern Translations say that He “emptied himself,” and the NLT says that, “he gave up his divine privileges;” (Philippians 2:7). This is false and it is a denial of the deity of Christ. God cannot cease to become God. God cannot cut out an aspect of who He is at His core in having divine power and yet still be God. That would be a contradiction. The Modern Translations are teaching a gnostic heresy in denying that Jesus has power as God. Granted, Jesus had grown in wisdom (See: Luke 2:52), but I believe this was not an elimination of His divine powers as God, but it was a suppression of them (See: John 17:5, Habakkuk 2:14). For Jesus needed to be a like figure or type of Adam; For Adam also was limited in knowledge when He was in a right relationship with God before the Fall (See: 1 Corinthians 15:45-47). However, Jesus clearly had power as God as a man before the cross. For...

Jesus had power as God:
(during his earthly ministry):

#1. Jesus said He has power to raise the dead to life just as the Father had power to raise the dead (John 5:21).
#2. Hebrews 1:3 talks about how Christ held all things together by the word of His power when He purged us of our sins.
#3. Jesus said, He would raise up this Temple (His body) three days later (John 2:19).
#4. Jesus had the power to forgive sins and give eternal life (Mark 2:7) (Luke 7:44-50) (John 14:6).
#5 Jesus had power to take away the sins of the entire world (John 1:29).
#6. Jesus Christ said wherever two or three are gathered in my name, there I am among them (Matthew 18:20). This was said to the people he was around and not to just us today.
#7. Jesus knew men's thoughts (Matthew 9:4) (Matthew 12:25) (Mark 2:8) (Luke 5:22) (Luke 6:8) (Luke 9:47) (Luke 24:38).
#8. Jesus knew about the lives of others (John 2:24) (John 4:17-18) (John 4:29) (John 6:64).
So Modern Translations are wrong. In fact, many Christians today think Jesus gave up His divine powers; This is because of the wrong teaching (or wrong doctrine) behind Modern Translations.​

Anyways, these are just a few of the red flags in Modern Translations.
But there are so many red flags in Modern Translations, it would make one think they were in a Russian airport.

I teach Jehovah is God, and Jesus is His firstborn son, If you would like to rebutt that I am willing to discuss it sir.

Reactions: Wrangler

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Robert Gwin

If you think your New World Translation is safe because it is not based on the Nestle and Aland text, but only on the Westcott and Hort text, you will find that Westcott and Hort believed in the practices of Catholicism big time. Just look at their own statements. This is why your change to follow Westcott and Hort is not good. But of course you are oblivious to this kind of thing and you will probably bury your head in the sand to such truths (Because you don’t want to see it).
*** it-2 p. 313 Manuscripts of the Bible ***
The 7th, 8th, and 9th editions of the Biblia Hebraica (1951-1955) furnished the basic text used to render the Hebrew Scriptures into English in the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures originally published in 1950-1960. A new edition of the Hebrew text, namely Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia, is dated 1977. This edition was used for updating the information presented in the footnotes of the New World Translation published in 1984.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Divine is "godness". What the Father is by nature, so isn't Jesus. Just like humanness YOu and I are different people but are equally human.

See it is a fine line sir, we believe Jesus is Divine, but we believe satan is as well, where we likely differ is who is the Almighty God, the Supreme God, and that is Jehovah in our eyes sir.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You posted the Bible states there is one faith Eph 4:5. I assumed you believe what you posted sir, so I asked if you believe the Bible identifies that faith, that one road to life Mat 7:14, or do you think God leaves us to go our own way Walt?
Good Morning Robert, and how are you all? I believe there are "Two Ways of Life" as Jesus says,

Matthew Seven

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

But to answer your question I would say that the Bible identifies that Faith that was once delivered unto the Saints

• “Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints” (Jude One:3) Note the word “beloved.” Contending for truth and warning of error is a work of genuine Christian love.
Matthew Sixteen:24-26

Deny Yourself, Take Up Your Cross, And Follow Me. Some Here Will See Me In My Kingdom
24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wants to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and be following Me. 25 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it. But whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26 For what will a person be profited if he gains the whole world, but forfeits his life? Or what will a person give in-exchange-for his life?

Read full chapter

Love always, Walter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.