Are Joel Osteen and his wife really Christians?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've had my doubts about Osteen for a long time but I read today that he and his wife attended an affair - by invitation only - to see Lady Gaga perform. The entire show was against everything that the Bible teaches. The verse came to mind: "Can two walk together except they be agreed?" and "What fellowship hath the light with the darkness?"

I agree with Osteen that every person is made in the image of God and every single person on the face of this earth should be treated with respect and dignity. My views align with him there 1000% I could never stand to see a human or an animal abused.

But Osteen is living in a mansion while there are people in America who can't afford basic necessities. It's hard to take a pastor seriously who thinks that he should take of the donations to his church and build himself a mansion instead of using the money to feed the hungry, clothe the poor, or give shelter to the needy.

Granted he probably uses his house for church meetings but it's excessive. There are other questionable things that I've read about Osteen, such as his refusal to open the church for people who needed shelter during the flood.

Have other doubted that Osteen is a true believer? What are your thoughts on him and/ or this article:

‘Are You Ready to [Expletive] Party Tonight?’ Joel and Victoria Osteen Attend Lady Gaga Concert, Pose for Sirius/Pandora Merger

Last edited:
Reactions: APAK and Nancy

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are truly disappointing, SG. They also questioned Jesus because of the people He went to...… they weren't "approved" by the church either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taken

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I've had my doubts about Osteen for a long time but I read today that he and his wife attended an affair - by invitation only - to see Lady Gaga perform. The entire show was against everything that the Bible teaches. The verse came to mind: "Can two walk together except they be agreed?" and "What fellowship hath the light with the darkness?"

I agree with Osteen that every person is made in the image of God and every single person on the face of this earth should be treated with respect and dignity. My views align with him there 1000% I could never stand to see a human or an animal abused.

But Osteen is living in a mansion while there are people in America who can't afford basic necessities. It's hard to take a pastor seriously who thinks that he should take of the donations to his church and build himself a mansion instead of using the money to feed the hungry, clothe the poor, or give shelter to the needy.

Granted he probably uses his house for church meetings but it's excessive. There are other questionable things that I've read about Osteen, such as his refusal to open the church for people who needed shelter during the flood.

Have other doubted that Osteen is a true believer? What are your thoughts on him and/ or this article:

‘Are You Ready to [Expletive] Party Tonight?’ Joel and Victoria Osteen Attend Lady Gaga Concert, Pose for Sirius/Pandora Merger

Sure they are. At least they represent the very face of the modern church. They preach a message that appeals to the masses..a wider road to salvation.

This thread is no place to begin deconstructing their message. Some of which is good...some of it questionable and some downright false. A mixed bag.

But I like Joel. He's a good guy...even if misguided into what amounts to the most a person can do in his own strength and this being presented as the power of the gospel.

Is He teaching errors? Of course! But this is the sign of the times.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Uh oh.
I love music,,,incl rock.
I go to concerts...yeah even at my age.

To the pure, everything is pure.

We CANNOT KNOW who is saved and who is not.
Our behavior can be a clue...
but, I mean, Lady GaGa....
She's not Miss Peachy Cream but she's not so bad either.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Sure they are. At least they represent the very face of the modern church. They preach a message that appeals to the masses..a wider road to salvation.

This thread is no place to begin deconstructing their message. Some of which is good...some of it questionable and some downright false. A mixed bag.

But I like Joel. He's a good guy...even if misguided into what amounts to the most a person can do in his own strength and this being presented as the power of the gospel.

Is He teaching errors? Of course! But this is the sign of the times.
He's not my cup of tea.
But some persons that are going through hard times might need someone like him to encourage them and make them feel loved by God.

We all need something different...
I don't think we should question other persons' faith.

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I know very little about the person mentioned in the OP.

The Lord Jesus does say in Matthew 7.20: "...by their fruits ye shall know them."

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He's not my cup of tea.
But some persons that are going through hard times might need someone like him to encourage them and make them feel loved by God.

We all need something different...
I don't think we should question other persons' faith.

At a certain level....very beginner level...he would be within the scope of what is acceptable. But it's still not the gospel. So he's a gospel preppy of sorts. Candy floss theology.

Reactions: Soverign Grace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I know very little about the person mentioned in the OP.

The Lord Jesus does say in Matthew 7.20: "...by their fruits ye shall know them."
They have a mega church.
He gives very positive sermons.
Not a lot of teaching...but much encouragement.
I think their fruits are good.
They have a lot of programs...for the singles, lonely, widowed, etc.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
At a certain level....very beginner level...he would be within the scope of what is acceptable. But it's still not the gospel. So he's a gospel preppy of sorts.
Yeah!
Good way to put it.
The gospel might scare away some of those folks sitting in that huge arena-like church!

Reactions: amadeus

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yeah!
Good way to put it.
The gospel might scare away some of those folks sitting in that huge arena-like church!

O the show, the spectacle..the circus like atmosphere.. it's just....not really very deep.

If the modern denominations are like fast food franchises...then Osteen's church is Dairy Queen.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Everything I have heard or read about Joel Osteen is that he's a false teacher. He will throw a bit of truth in there, for sure but...discernment!!! He is on Oprah now and then from what I've heard (of those who like him). My red flags go up as soon as I see his face...dunno, I'll leave that one to God, lol.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Everything I have heard or read about Joel Osteen is that he's a false teacher. He will throw a bit of truth in there, for sure but...discernment!!! He is on Oprah now and then from what I've heard (of those who like him). My red flags go up as soon as I see his face...dunno, I'll leave that one to God, lol.
I never hear him say something false.

Not that I listen to him much, but what little I've heard sounds sugar coated...
but not what I'd call false.

Reactions: Helen and Willie T

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to be honest and say I don’t like the Olsteens, something incredibly phoney about them, too much smiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m with you Nancy.

Reactions: Nancy

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Tell me the price of the house you live in? Tell me your living wages? Compare your house to many others in the U.S. or the world, and tell me why you live so extravagantly? Why are you a Christian when you have so much more than others?

Stranger

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tell me the price of the house you live in? Tell me your living wages? Compare your house to many others in the U.S. or the world, and tell me why you live so extravagantly? Why are you a Christian when you have so much more than others?

Stranger
@stunnedbygrace is not a Mega-millionaire Televangelist, who preaches one of the most watered down "gospels" I have ever heard. I'm sure SBJ is grateful beyond measure for what the Lord has blessed her with. And, Stranger, you don't know what she has or does not have. And, you ALSO do not know how she blesses others with what God has blessed her with? This guy is "seared as with a hot iron" and has become rich off of those who hang on his every word...and you can bet that most if not ALL of his personal riches (40 million) have come out of the pockets of these people. Jesus had NOWHERE to lay His head...