Are Mormons Christians? (Latter Day Saints)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Jane_Doe22 ......You said...
“While other folks may be well-intended, when this isn't your faith, they are inventively going to get a lot wrong. Some other folks get it super super wrong.”

And then you say this about us.....LOL.
Pretty much everything is different between those two faiths.

LDS Christians celebrate Jesus as the Son of God, JW deny His divinity and say He’s an angel. LDS Christians and a very hope-filled faith and acknowledge your Protestant/Catholic/whatever relationship with Christ and that you are also a Christian. JW view all non-JW as doomed false believers and are extremely focused on that threat. LDS Christian celebrate family of all kind on this life and being together in the next. JW shun ex members. Etc.
Is this the truth? Or only “some folks” like yourself “getting it all wrong”?

LDS members don’t like JW’s because they have no evidence in scripture to back up their beliefs.....you know that, and that is why you resort to denigrating us...it means you don’t have to defend your beliefs and attempt to deflect attention away from that fact......what your church teaches does not resemble Bible’s teachings in any way.

Show us in scripture that what your church teaches is biblically sound....it’s “before birth and after death” scenario?...or the fact that Jesus made a trip to the Americas to give them the gospel....where is that written and where will I find any evidence for the existence of these people in archeology or history? They are a figment of one man’s imagination....and a whole bunch of people swallowed his story.....one can only ask why when there was no actual proof that anything he said was true?

JW’s do not deny the divinity of Christ as the Scriptures clearly state that he is divine and always has been....it just does not state that he shares deity with his Father......who is also his God. (Rev 3:12)
We believe that he is a created being as he himself said. (Rev 3:14)
He is NOT just “an angel” but a unique “son of God”, which is what he called himself. (John 10:31-36)
God’s “firstborn”....one of many “sons of God”. (Col 1:15)

LDS believers do not want to cross swords with anyone because they want to present themselves as something they are not....so they will tell you that your faith is fine and can co-exist with theirs.....despite the fact that you basically hold little in common with them. If it doesn’t matter then why are you a separate denomination at all?

JW’s know that there is one truth that must be upheld by all, (1 Cor 1:10) otherwise there is conflict and division, which we see in Christendom, who may appear to want ecumenism to dominate the world, but bringing all “Christians” together as one, is impossible......you cannot have true unity if it is all show on top but underneath is a seething mess of conflicting views. Does God speak with a forked tongue? I believe it is the other fellow who has that capacity.

You portray us as anti-family when you will not find closer families than ours. The fact that we excommunicate those who do not uphold the truth of the Bible, or who commit deliberate sin but refuse to admit it, blaming others for the fallout or trying to subvert the faith of others if they are disciplined. (Heb 12:7-11)

We do not “shun ex-members” unless they are trouble makers, trying to cause division among our brotherhood.....those who commit deliberate sin are given loving counsel and correction, but if they refuse to repent after many attempts to help them, they are excommunicated as the Bible clearly shows that they should be.....the door is always open for their return like the prodigal son. But the Father did nothing until the son came home contrite and humble...then the Father ran to meet his son with open arms.

1 Cor 5:9-13....
“ I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person. For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person.” (NKJV)

If the churches did this, how many would be left to supply the pastor with his money? Isn’t this the reason why the mega churches are doing so well? Who is going to judge those “inside” when the judges are themselves found to be flawed characters? They all get caught up in the emotion of it all.....knowledge takes a back seat to entertainment....and the power of wealth steals away their conscience.

If you think of more please fill us in. You're very helpful.
Jane_Doe22 said:
Literally name any theological or social subject, and it’s different between these two faiths.
Are you feeding the trolls now....LOL :ummm: You are “very helpful” to at least someone....even if it is to one of the worst trolls here......if it makes you feel better to throw others under the bus by passing on false information yourself, then you have to live with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHC

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As far I have been aware. Anyone who believes that Yeshua is the one whom God risen him up from the dead, from the heart, regardless…

If they believe God is a man, or Jesus is brothers with Satan… those doctrines are not as important as the death, burial, and resurrection…

There is no new life with no resurrection. And it comes down to, if a person being faithful, in the heart is changed to desire to love God, and to love others, despite the notions of the flesh, and abiding by the Holy Spirit and Spirit of Christ, walking in the spirit.

Not any other doctrines in my opinion matter, especially if it regards anything that deals “you must do this or that to be right with God,” it’s always faith in Jesus, and because of his righteousness make people have peace with Yahweh, whom adopts those who look to him and his Son…

Anyone who deems people non Christians… and they are part of Jehovah Witness or Mormonism, while they can misinform and mislead. They still teach what Paul called the Gospel… which is the power of God unto salvation, through newness of life by dying with Yeshua, burying the old life with him in the grave, and then rising with Yeshua, in being adopted as Gods child…

Misinformed doctrines or misleading doctrines such as you must pay your tithing, you must be at church Wednesday and Sunday, otherwise God is angry with you is a manipulative tactic to get you to fear…
I feel sorry for you.

Reactions: Cassandra

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you think of more please fill us in. You're very helpful.
The LDS I met have said they believe "your works will allow you to become your own god of your own planet" They do works so they can become gods. IF there are billions of gods who are you worshiping?

• Love
Reactions: Cassandra

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The LDS I met have said they believe "your works will allow you to become your own god of your own planet" They do works so they can become gods. IF there are billions of gods who are you worshiping?
^That's inaccurate. For starters the entire "planet" and "billions" things are just wrong.

As to work: no, I don't work my way to Heaven- that very idea is laughable. The only way to salvation is through faith in Christ, the Son of God. But I do believe that saving faith isn't just a shallow "yeah I believe", but rather an entire transformation of the person-- a rebirth. Giving one's whole heart / might / mind / soul to Him. I do strive to listen to Him and follow Him, because I love Him.

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
^That's inaccurate. For starters the entire "planet" and "billions" things are just wrong.

As to work: no, I don't work my way to Heaven- that very idea is laughable. The only way to salvation is through faith in Christ, the Son of God. But I do believe that saving faith isn't just a shallow "yeah I believe", but rather an entire transformation of the person-- a rebirth. Giving one's whole heart / might / mind / soul to Him. I do strive to listen to Him and follow Him, because I love Him.
Yes faith (trust) without works is dead but that is not the issue.

Do you believe your works is result in your becoming a god and having your own kingdom?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am out of patience for this.

In my eyes, you keep ignoring the important qualities that make God whom He is: infinitely loving, just, merciful, etc. These are not just how a person "acts" (as you phrase things), but defining characteristics of whom a person is- God is love. Infinite love, not just the "the most". This love is core, very way of being, everything. At every turn you downplay this and keep dismissing it of little importance.

Instead your focus is on special ontology: God is God because He doesn't have a birthday and you do (that second part is critical- God's definition depends on human's definition). And because LDS Christians don't focus on ontology / different views on some points means you decide "Mormons aren't Christian". Seemingly because entrance at the Silvery Gates depends on a person to ace an ontological theology test.
Even so...
Pr 21:2Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes faith (trust) without works is dead but that is not the issue.

Do you believe your works is result in your becoming a god and having your own kingdom?
The foundation of your question is off base-- I'm not doing anything for a kingdom or reward. Rather, I follow Christ out of love.

As to the perfection of saints: I 100% believe in the power of Christ's atonement, that He has the power a wretched sinner like me, and purify my filthy scarlet self into 100% pure white. Not 99.9999%, but 100%. Perfect, without any blemish, even as He is. A joint-heir with Christ, sitting on the right hand of the Father. Such perfection is His ultimate goal, and the reason He came to earth, see John 17.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The foundation of your question is off base-- I'm not doing anything for a kingdom or reward. Rather, I follow Christ out of love.

As to the perfection of saints: I 100% believe in the power of Christ's atonement, that He has the power a wretched sinner like me, and purify my filthy scarlet self into 100% pure white. Not 99.9999%, but 100%. Perfect, without any blemish, even as He is. A joint-heir with Christ, sitting on the right hand of the Father. Such perfection is His ultimate goal, and the reason He came to earth, see John 17.
See also this...
1jo 3:2Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See also this...
1jo 3:2Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is
Indeed! There are so many wonderful verses that speak of His amazing power to make us like Him. He is…. outstanding.

• Love
Reactions: amadeus

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Then I guess you aren't a true LDS/Mormon. I have had the young men in my house and we debated for hours on several occasions and both times this was par of the discussion. Jesus is the One and Only Son of God, Jesus is God, Jesus is not brothers to Satan, we die and will spend eternity worshipping the one and only God (Father, Son, Spirit) and we do not become angels or become gods of our own kingdom. We get to live in His presence and that is sharing in His glory. There will be no pain, evil, hurt and His perfect Kingdom but we are still not equal to God. We are sons but will never be equal to God.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then I guess you aren't a true LDS/Mormon.
Actually I am, with more experience in interfaith dialogue & studying other faith than a pair of teenagers.

LDS Christians likewise believe that Jesus Christ is the 1 Son of God, and that there's only 1 God. The Father / Son / Spirit are 3 different divine persons, united as 1 God. It's the exact same divine glory / mercy / will / justice / love /etc. LDS Christians don't do the "person" and "being" having different definitions thing. When the perfection of saints in complete, we become one with God (100% pure, not 99.999% see post 108), making 1 God. The Father will forever be our Father, and Christ forever our Savior. Yes, we live in His presence and share in His glory.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IT was not just little error it was total blasphemy .
This is the problem in some places . they can preach certain truths and expose some lies
and yet THEY lead into greater lies and darkness . We must get back into our bible . learn for ourselves
The most sophisticated cult groups are expert at mixing in some truth, or even a lot of truth in order to sell lies. You know the saying.... "a spoonful of sugar...." ....if they came right out with nothing but untruths, it would be too obvious. I've seen this in my own experience. How else can satan deceive folks than by mixing truth with subtle twistings, and then adding outright untruths? Scripture says that satan appears as an angel of light. That has been his tactic from the beginning... a little truth, and a lot if deception.

Example... I have seen a "prophetess" on YT who preaches holiness, while she wears a head covering, and her blouse at times, a little low cut. (Contradictory much?) And she preaches scripture, sounds really good and honorable .....then she says that "everyone will receive the mark of the beast, but God will forgive you if you repent." She bases this on these verses:

Revelation 13:16-17
[16]And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
[17]And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

...... totally disregarding this verse:

Revelation 20:4
[4]And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

So what is the purpose of these people and groups who share truth with a mixture of twisting and untruth? Deception. If this "holiness teacher/prophetess" can look holy with her head covering, and sound holy by preaching against sin ....and then twist scripture to persuade people that it's okay to take the mark .......she has done her job (for satan).

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The most sophisticated cult groups are expert at mixing in some truth, or even a lot of truth in order to sell lies. You know the saying.... "a spoonful of sugar...." ....if they came right out with nothing but untruths, it would be too obvious <Jane snipping for length>
Hey, if you got any questions about LDS Christian beliefs, feel free to ask. I love Christ, and I'm very open about my faith.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See also this...
Yes, we will see Him as He is. And yet, we will not graduate to become gods. There is no god besides THE GOD.

Isaiah 44:6
[6]Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Isaiah 44:8
[8]Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.

Isaiah 45:5
[5]I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

Isaiah 45:21-22
[21]Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.
[22]Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

Hosea 13:4
[4]Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, we will see Him as He is. And yet, we will not graduate to become gods. There is no god besides THE GOD.

Isaiah 44:6
[6]Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Isaiah 44:8
[8]Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.

Isaiah 45:5
[5]I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

Isaiah 45:21-22
[21]Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.
[22]Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

Hosea 13:4
[4]Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me.
Please clarify , once again, who or what is Jesus to you? His purpose?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one is replacing God. The Father is always going to be our Father, and Christ always our Savior.

But we do become 100% pure clean, joining with Him. Becoming one with Him doesn't make more than 1 God- it's joining Him, not replacing Him. There's still only that one great will / glory / mercy / goodness/ love / etc.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Surely that expands to cover mormons too?
You cannot be saved by a false Christ. The mormon doctrine about Christ teaches a false Christ. He is not the brother of satan. He is, always has been .....and always will be God. He didn't have a beginning as a man and then became God. It would be the same as if a man walks up to you and claims to be Jesus Christ and that you must believe on him to receive salvation. Would you think that believing on that false Christ could save you, even with the best of intentions?

Matthew 24:5

[5]For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Luke 21:8
[8]And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one is replacing God. The Father is always going to be our Father, and Christ always our Savior.

But we do become 100% pure clean, joining with Him. Becoming one with Him doesn't make more than 1 God- it's joining Him, not replacing Him. There's still only that one great will / glory / mercy / goodness/ love / etc.
Do you believe that God was once a man?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe that God was once a man?
Super short answer: contrary to the claims of "anti-cultists", that's not actually part of LDS Christian doctrine. I can go more in-depth to this if you want.

You cannot be saved by a false Christ. The mormon doctrine about Christ teaches a false Christ. He is not the brother of satan. He is, always has been .....and always will be God. He didn't have a beginning as a man and then became God.
Note: LDS Christians believer that Christ has always been, and He's always been God.

Reactions: jessicaleks93