Are Tarot cards okay?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Tarot cards are not okay for fortune telling, Deuteronomy 18:

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer 11or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead.
There was a case of divination in Acts 16:

16 As we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit of divination and brought her owners much gain by fortune-telling. 17 She followed Paul and us, crying out, “These men are servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to you the way of salvation.” 18 And this she kept doing for many days. Paul, having become greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.” And it came out that very hour.
Paul saw the evil spirit in her and cast it out. This divination and fortune-telling ability was realized by an evil spirit. She had lost that ability:

19 But when her owners saw that their hope of gain was gone, they seized Paul and Silas and dragged them into the marketplace before the rulers.
The last description of casting lots was bright and early in Acts 1:

26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.
The next event was the coming of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2. After that, no more casting lots. The Holy Spirit would direct us.

Evil spirits have a limited ability to foresee the future. They could communicate through Tarot cards, Ouija, psychics, etc. When you participate in these kinds of activities, you are drawing evil spirits into your midst.

God sees the entire future perfectly. I rather follow the Holy Spirit and practice Hearing from God instead of cards.

Is owning tarot cards sinful even if you don’t intend to use them?

I don't think it is sinful but these objects may attract demons. I wouldn't leave them lying around.

What about crystals and gemstones?

They are okay as long as you don't attribute superstitious or supernatural powers to them.

Reactions: MatthewG and Jim C

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Paul saw the evil spirit in her and cast it out. This divination and fortune-telling ability was realized by an evil spirit. She had lost that ability:

The next event was the coming of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2. After that, no more casting lots. The Holy Spirit would direct us.

Evil spirits have a limited ability to foresee the future. They could communicate through Tarot cards, Ouija, psychics, etc. When you participate in these kinds of activities, you are drawing evil spirits into your midst.

God sees the entire future perfectly. I rather follow the Holy Spirit and practice Hearing from God instead of cards.

I don't think it is sinful but these objects may attract demons. I wouldn't leave them lying around.

They are okay as long as you don't attribute superstitious or supernatural powers to them.
Why would you want to enquire of demons rather than God?? All you need is God and His Word.

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You mention casting lots in Acts 1. It is worth noting the context here:

Acts 1:24-25
24 Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen
25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.”

In this specific instance they had prayed to God for guidance and used the lots to get his response.
This is as opposed to the standard blind chance or non-Godly means of casting lots.

Reactions: TLHKAJ and MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most certainly, all those things do is get your attention away from Yahava, and can lead you into a very weak postion in trusting in yourself, and lead you down to spiritual wickedness which one is to fight against.

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. 12 For our struggle is not against [a]flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.14 Stand firm therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 [b]in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18 [c]With all prayer and petition [d]pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, [e]be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints,

Reactions: Azim

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mention casting lots in Acts 1. It is worth noting the context here:

Acts 1:24-25
24 Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen
25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.”

In this specific instance they had prayed to God for guidance and used the lots to get his response.
This is as opposed to the standard blind chance or non-Godly means of casting lots.
So, praying God show his guidance or will when laying tarot cards out is OK?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I can't find a definition of tarot cards online, but I think it's safe to say they are not okay.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Both tarot card and Ouija invite demons in, as well as crystal balls. They are consulting with the spirit world. New age crystals are the same. I've seen the results. Go to a fortune teller and look at them, they have occult things all around the room while telling your fortune. Even if they are a scammer, which is a liar, and Satan is the father of lies.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tarot cards are at best stupid superstition and at worst a link to the dark powers. Between those two choices, why get involved with them?

I once knew a pretty young blond lady, would have liked to have made her my girlfriend. She tried to read my fortune with the Tarot. A relationship with her just wasn't in the cards.