Are the personal sins of others, our business?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we called to point out the personal sins of others? Will we be judged based on the sins of others? Should we overlook the sins of others when we love them through service (House of Charity vs. Union Gospel Mission approach to serving the homeless)? Why does God allow us to see the personal sins of others?

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I think there's a point of yes and a point of no.

On one hand, nothing anyone does is any of our business. Although if we wish to introduce them to the gospel then it's "our business". If they reject it, what ever they do is on their heads not ours. It's also of no benefit to anyone to go around pointing out unsaved peoples sins. They'll just get ate up.

On the other hand, those who are already saved should have certain things pointed out. Such as habitual sins. These should be pointed out kindly and out of love and with every intention of helping to correct the situation. But, we all make mistakes. Most mistakes are "minor" in that they will correct themselves or that the one commiting them already know they need correction.

The whole idea of being judged for someone elses sins is from Calvinism.

It's funny that people can't differentiate between the sinner and the saved. The idea that christians are going to suffer God's wrath on the sinners is so stupid it pains me to even think about.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whiteknuckle, I'm going to have to read Calvin's work soon, I got a feeling he's misunderstood.

To answer the question, if you are talking about sins of the flesh, absolutely not! They have conciquences and we can warn against them. However, all sins of the flesh -- passed, present and future -- are forgiven.

False worship and false doctrine are sins of the spirit, though. They aren't covered by grace.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I think we are to judge no man, though we are to discern, and the Spirit through us may judge. ('A spiritual man judges all things)

I understand it like this, we don't judge, we love, though we might exhort or rebuke (in love). The Spirit of the Lord judges, and he does execute his judgment through faithfull servants if necessary. (ie Ananias and Sapphira, that was NOT Peter's decision)

Hiroki

Aug 12, 2011
I agree to Prentis. Though it is not our business about talking their sins and be concerned for it since it is not ours but theirs, but it is our business to remind them and correct them as Christians.

Why does God allow us to see the personal sins of others?

God allowed it to let us think. For Jesus commanded us to love others, we must love them as true Christians do. They are not the only person we see that sins, we too does sins so this is fair for us not to judge others. As long as we love God and love each others, nothing to fear.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we must got to an often quoted (but not fully quoted) passage in Matthew 7:

Matthew 7:1-6
Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

I'd put this passage up as one of the most horribly quoted in the New Testament and probably the Bible as a whole.

Instead of saying, don't judge, the Bible is simply and clearing stating: don't be a hyprocrite about it! It's also giving advice that there are times where you don't waste the pearls (IE: the truth) by just pointing out a sin to an unbeliever. Oftentimes this is accomplished when we confess our own sins instead of going on the offensive to explain their sins to them.

I'd love to talk about this more at the moment, but I must run.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
I think we must got to an often quoted (but not fully quoted) passage in Matthew 7:

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

I'd put this passage up as one of the most horribly quoted in the New Testament and probably the Bible as a whole.

Instead of saying, don't judge, the Bible is simply and clearing stating: don't be a hyprocrite about it! It's also giving advice that there are times where you don't waste the pearls (IE: the truth) by just pointing out a sin to an unbeliever. Oftentimes this is accomplished when we confess our own sins instead of going on the offensive to explain their sins to them.

What do you think he meant by dogs and pigs ?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hmm...I going to have to disagree with you on this one, Hammerstone......

I think Jesus was really telling us not to judge.....it is the same message as the stoning of the women, guilty of adultery....'let the person with no sin, cast the first stone'. Everyone is a hypocrite at heart, so none of us are worthy to judge. We need to use the gift of being able to recognize personal sins in others to root out our own sins.

blessings

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Everyone is a hypocrite at heart, so none of us are worthy to judge. We need to use the gift of being able to recognize personal sins in others to root out our own sins.
1 Corinthians 6:2-3 (NKJV)
2 Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world will be judged by you, are you unworthy to judge the smallest matters? 3 Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, things that pertain to this life?

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Yep. The Bible says judge all things and don't judge. There is a time and a season for everything. I'm probably going to get some flack for this but here it goes...

How can we deny the dialectic? Judge no man, judge all things... Only by the Spirit can we now in which way to walk. ;)

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
It is truly sad to see some look for contradictions in the Bible that are not there. Satan has done his work.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
It is truly sad to see some look for contradictions in the Bible that are not there. Satan has done his work.

What translation of bible do you read from Ducky ? You always seems so darn sure of yourself. I read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John from the NIV and get kind of confused.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
What translation of bible do you read from Ducky ? You always seems so darn sure of yourself. I read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John from the NIV and get kind of confused.
I compare many. I generally quote from NKJV, sometimes ESV. I have about 20 English translations. Overall they are amazingly consistent. If I don't understand something therein I am surely not going to charge God with error or contradiction. In time He will explain if we are seeking to understand. I used the ESV for a while until I started seeing how many verses it omits. Otherwise it seems pretty consistent. Lord bless.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
1 Corinthians 6:2-3 (NKJV)
2 Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world will be judged by you, are you unworthy to judge the smallest matters? 3 Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, things that pertain to this life?

And when does that happen, ducky?

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
I compare many. I generally quote from NKJV, sometimes ESV. I have about 20 English translations. Overall they are amazingly consistent. If I don't understand something therein I am surely not going to charge God with error or contradiction. In time He will explain if we are seeking to understand. I used the ESV for a while until I started seeing how many verses it omits. Otherwise it seems pretty consistent. Lord bless.

20 Bibles ! Wow that is impressive I hope God blesses you . If not God bless you. I really have to pick up a few more.

I certainly would never accuse God of being imperfect it would be sensible to attribute the errors to mans imperfections. I am sure the apostles may have a tough time writing with an angry mob trying to spill their blood.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
20 Bibles ! Wow that is impressive I hope God blesses you . If not God bless you. I really have to pick up a few more.

I certainly would never accuse God of being imperfect it would be sensible to attribute the errors to mans imperfections. I am sure the apostles may have a tough time writing with an angry mob trying to spill their blood.
Here's a pretty good place to find MANY English Bibles.

http://biblos.com/