Are there any Holy Ghost Tongue Talkers in here?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
I know I lack spiritual excitement, this is my fault I will admit.

I have seen people break out in to tongues and to be honest its not something I desire. I got upset with the pastor who did it at my sons Baptism which was a incredibly important event in my life, in his life. It was like he was show boating in front of the crowd, no one there understood what he was saying and to me it sounded like gibberish, it actually made the whole thing seem seedy and occultist.
I have been in churches where people do it and nobody knows what they are saying and I keep thinking to myself, is this right? are we just supposed to convince ourselves that this person is speaking in a different tongue?
I know we tend to fear what we dont understand, and for me this is one of those things that I simply cant grasp in my own reasoning (not that I should) But if this person is truly speaking in tongues shouldn't we all know it? shouldn't we be able to confirm this in our spirits that what is happening is really a manifestation of the Spirit?
Not this uncomfortable feeling of hyper-sensationalized spirituality that seems to so often surround it?

The only time I have felt euphoria in Christ was the night I asked Christ in to my life, but never really since then. In a way Im really glad of this because I know that this wasnt something I might possibly have fabricated somehow, that what happened was really real, but maybe Im scared that if I do feel it again it may cause me to doubt instead of strengthen my faith, that somehow this type of Spirituality can be made and not manifest.

I dont know Im not very clued up on the subject which is obvious.

StanJ said:
THEY are not, but they are opportunities to grow. We should never be satisfied to maintain the status quo.
Your right, I agree, just need to be a little more flexible as you say.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
RANDOR said:
Oh;;;;;;;;;;;;and one more thing.....This Vale of Tears...............I was starting to get a complex in here with woman....so i thought........silly me................I just called in four women and asked them to read your post.......i didn't even say a thing...just said read my OP and then read your response............all four.............agreed, you missed the boat.
But I know you love Jesus...........................and ya know what......that's the main thing :)
Get ten more to agree with you and you'll still be wrong. Truth isn't arrived at by consensus, it's absolute. In this OP and the OP on your tithing thread, you clearly were parading yourself as a great Christian because of tithing and speaking in tongues, and more importantly, both OP's that YOU WROTE put down other Christians who didn't meet your arbitrary standards. That's a fact. Get a hundred people to agree with you, even a thousand, and you'll still be wrong in your intimated self righteous attitude. I stand by my post which sagaciously cut through all the crap and inflicted an accurate indictment of your arrogance.

And I still love you, don't ever forget that.

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
StanJ said:
Not what the NT teaches. The INITIAL evidence IS speaking in tongues.
Tongues WAS initial evidence in the early church , the Jews could hear the gentiles praising God in the Jewish language (etc) as confirmation that they (gentiles) could be saved and receive the holy spirit.

Nowhere does it say it is required today in order to be a christian , this is an error manufactured by Pentecostals in the last 100 years

I have nothing against tongues or Pentecostals , it is just that you are so full of yourselves

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Martin W. said:
Tongues WAS initial evidence in the early church , the Jews could hear the gentiles praising God in the Jewish language (etc) as confirmation that they (gentiles) could be saved and receive the holy spirit.

Nowhere does it say it is required today in order to be a christian , this is an error manufactured by Pentecostals in the last 100 years

I have nothing against tongues or Pentecostals , it is just that you are so full of yourselves
^^^^ This.

B

brakelite

As some may be aware, I was a Catholic until receiving Jesus into my life. I then joined a Pentecostal church, and wasd a member of same for over 15 years. I spoke in tongues (I still can if I so choose) but I witnessed a great deal of nonsense which ultimately led me away from the church altogether. I now belong to a denomination who do not generally speak in tongues in their services, although there are many anecdotal incidents where in mission work the gospel was promulgated as a direct result of one of our missionaries speaking an unlearned language. This is true tongues. The gibberish and repeated fraudulent display I witnessed in a variety of Pentecostal churches is an indictment on truth, and a sure sign of spiritual pride and arrogance and deception. I make no judgement upon anyone here. Randor, if you are at peace with your own spititual walk, you carry on brother. But I tell you, and Stan, I know many people who do not speak in any foreign unlearned language, yet believe me, they are as annointed and filled with the Holy Spirit of Almighty God as any pew-jumping-dancing-hand-raising-tongue speaking-prophesying Pentecostal on the planet.

Reactions: Madad21

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Martin W. said:

For you and TVOT.

Tongues IS the initial evidence still, and what happened in Acts 2:4-13 was two fold, the 12 speaking in tongues and the Holy Spirit translating it for the hearers. The apostles were NOT speaking in those languages, as EACH man hear it in their language. There were 15 groups/languages identified here and only 12 apostles.
Nobody said it is required, but Jesus commanded to wait for it. Now when I was saved, over 43 years ago, we sought and waited for it, and received it. Of course those disciples of Jesus in Acts 19 had not until Paul told them what they needed to do, and then they gladly and instantly received it.
Nothing has changed. Pentecostal don't teach it is REQUIRED to be a Christian. They teach it is mandated by scriptural example, in order to have power and authority. Your last sentence is oxymoronic.

brakelite said:
As some may be aware, I was a Catholic until receiving Jesus into my life. I then joined a Pentecostal church, and wasd a member of same for over 15 years. I spoke in tongues (I still can if I so choose) but I witnessed a great deal of nonsense which ultimately led me away from the church altogether. I now belong to a denomination who do not generally speak in tongues in their services, although there are many anecdotal incidents where in mission work the gospel was promulgated as a direct result of one of our missionaries speaking an unlearned language. This is true tongues. The gibberish and repeated fraudulent display I witnessed in a variety of Pentecostal churches is an indictment on truth, and a sure sign of spiritual pride and arrogance and deception. I make no judgement upon anyone here. Randor, if you are at peace with your own spititual walk, you carry on brother. But I tell you, and Stan, I know many people who do not speak in any foreign unlearned language, yet believe me, they are as annointed and filled with the Holy Spirit of Almighty God as any pew-jumping-dancing-hand-raising-tongue speaking-prophesying Pentecostal on the planet.
Thanks brakelite, but tongues is NOT a foreign language. It is a NEW heavenly language which is meant to be spoken to God in our prayer life, and is NOT the same as the GIFT of tongues and interpretation Paul teaches about in 1 Cor 14.
There is not doubt that some, just like Simon the Sorcerer, have abused or faked the experience, but as always, the reality of the Christian experience is not negated by those who don't do it right.

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
South Point, Hawaii (Big Island)
Brother RANDOR can handle this now due to his receint paygrade increase.

ICor.14:2, The man who speaks in a foreign language in reality speaks not unto men, but only unto God. "For no one understands" makes this plain. For one who has the gift of interpretation, ie, who is conversant with the particular foreign language used, would understand.

Old, not understanding, Jack - still looking for my paygrade increease.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
shturt678 said:
Brother RANDOR can handle this now due to his receint paygrade increase.

ICor.14:2, The man who speaks in a foreign language in reality speaks not unto men, but only unto God. "For no one understands" makes this plain. For one who has the gift of interpretation, ie, who is conversant with the particular foreign language used, would understand.

Old, not understanding, Jack - still looking for my paygrade increease.
Actually Jack it is NOT a foreign language, it is a heavenly language and those who interpret must know and step out in faith to do so. The spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet. We open our mouths and God fills it just as Jesus told His disciples in Luke 12;11.

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
StanJ said:
(snip)

(Pentecostals) don't teach it is REQUIRED to be a Christian. They teach it is mandated by scriptural example, in order to have power and authority. Your last sentence is oxymoronic.

(snip)
Then all I request is a demonstration of your power and authority

I have yet to see it done.

Pentecostals make the boast but can never prove it

JayP

Jun 18, 2014
England
It seems I'm late in to this one so if I repeat anyone's points I do apologise but this is something I've been studying recently (not on it's own but in the general gifts of The Spirit realm)
Arguement one would be that in multiple places Paul speaks about diversity within the church (the largest and most frequently quoted being in 1 Corinthians 12 - vs 4 reading : There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all."

I think that is something that we must all agree on first and foremost - there is one Spirit that is giver of such gifts. Now this could be a whole other debate and conversation about Who/What/Where is there Spirit but just so you know in my opinion it's a separate being of the triune God.
Now some people are taught, and believe, that when the Spirit falls on someone the first thing they do is speak in tongues. Does the bible actually teach this? I don't think it does - the bible talks about the spirit fall on the Israelites (in Exodus 35) so that people had skills in teaching and building - in order that the tabernacle could be created.
I think this draws out the major point in the role of the gifts of The Spirit - people were given gifts in order to complete the work God had set out for them.
-
Let's not also forget the Spirit fell upon Jesus (when he was baptised by John) in the form of a dove nowhere after that does it speak of Jesus speaking in tongues - I would suggest that this indicates that you can be blessed by the Spirit without speaking in tongues.
-
Back to 1 Corinthians 13 - And Paul writes that every has been given a gift and you should take that gift and use it to the best of your ability to bring God glory - if you are gifted in teaching then teach, if it is prophecy then prophesy, if it is tongues then speak. This suggests to me that if you can speak in tongues great - go for it, but it doesn't make you any more spiritual than the individual that is just a good encourager (the one that may have encouraged you to try it in the first place, but has never done so themselves).

Paul also writes about church planting in the passage (v28):
Here are some of the parts God has appointed for the church:
first are apostles,
second are prophets,
third are teachers,
then those who do miracles,
those who have the gift of healing,
those who can help others,
those who have the gift of leadership,
those who speak in unknown languages.
Now this isn't talk about a hierarchy of importance and spirituality (tongues isn't last because it is least important). But this is the order that you will find that churches are built around. Apostles is bible talk for church planters - so it is logical that they come first
Then prophets - someone with a vision of where God wants the Apostles to go
Then a teacher - someone who has the ability to teach the new church from the bible
Then you get the gifts of healing, miracles, helping, leadership (which is only really needed once you have a group big enough to need leading) and tongues

Those last ones are the ones that make up the church body, all equally important and all equally as spiritual (yer that's right helping is as spiritual as miracles).

But Pauls conclusion is a challenge to all, whether an apostle, teacher, speaker of tongues, interpreter or helper (or any other gift).
1) Desire greater gifts - this has been misconstrued by some to suggest that one gift is greater than others, but no - it means desire more gifts, and more of the gift you already have - make you gift greater, and so more of Him.
2) Do any of these without love (like saying that one is greater than another, like saying certain groups of people won't be able to have a gift because they don't do things a certain way) then it means nothing.

Have not love you are nothing but a loud Gong or clanging cymbal. Because God is love and the gifts of the Spirit are all about displaying God on earth to your fellow believers, and demonstrating Him to those that don't believe.

PS
to answer your first question, no

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Martin W. said:
Then all I request is a demonstration of your power and authority

I have yet to see it done.

Pentecostals make the boast but can never prove it
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh people...............I received the Holy Ghost.............and all I've been trying to say is, it's wonderful........but hey...if ya don't want it.............don't ask for it. Simple.......but it is real............threw me for a loop for sure.
But again.....i want everything God has for me.....Thanks Lord.

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
StanJ said:
Actually Jack it is NOT a foreign language, it is a heavenly language and those who interpret must know and step out in faith to do so. The spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet. We open our mouths and God fills it just as Jesus told His disciples in Luke 12;11.
Thank you for your response again!

I'll have to wait for brother RANDOR when he's done resting in the Lord, and get his opinion on this one for sure.

Old waiting patiently Jack

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
shturt678 said:

I'll have to wait for brother RANDOR when he's done resting in the Lord, and get his opinion on this one for sure.

Born and raised Pentecostal Jack... trust me them's the facts. B)

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
RANDOR said:
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh people...............I received the Holy Ghost.............and all I've been trying to say is, it's wonderful........but hey...if ya don't want it.............don't ask for it. Simple.......but it is real............threw me for a loop for sure.
But again.....i want everything God has for me.....Thanks Lord.
Good enough for you, and my oldest daughter believes like you - good enough for me!

Old good enough Jack

Brother Stanj Stan's a good name, one of my Lutheran partners is named Stan, and he's also on fire for our Lord - agape you brother!

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
shturt678 said:

Sir Jack..............all I know is.....I asked for the Holy Ghost and BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! came in like a ton of bricks or concrete..or molten steel...take your pick.
i do believe however..those who don't have the Holy Ghost.............how can they say it isn't real or needed and are not happy you have it.

Noboby can tell this kid any difference...................satan..........doesn't want anyone to have it....that i know for sure.........

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
StanJ said:
Thanks Bro...just don't put an 'a' in front of the 't'...OK. ;)
OK brother RANDOR and brother Stan!

Going to pull this "t" grammar on Hawaiian Stan - had no idea, thank you again - Will see how he handles it - lol. Might need brother RANDOR'S spiritual help on this one also.

Old mischievous Jack

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
JayP said:
Let's not also forget the Spirit fell upon Jesus (when he was baptised by John) in the form of a dove nowhere after that does it speak of Jesus speaking in tongues - I would suggest that this indicates that you can be blessed by the Spirit without speaking in tongues.
The manifestation of the Holy Spirit may have noticeably alighted on Jesus in the form of a dove but he was not filled with the Spirit as He IS God.
Jesus did not need to speak in tongues because His spirit was God and in perfect harmony with God.
We may be predestined to be conformed to the image of God's Son once we confess Him as our savior, but that doesn't mean what He went through or did images what will happen to us.