Are you catholic?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Judging others.
I created a thread where most of you are judging a 9 year old boy and sending him to hell.
HE DESERVED IT, right!
I never said anything about Hell.
I simply said that your posts speaks volumes, psychologically-speaking.

Judging by your posts on this thread - it sounds like you have some serious issues that may require intense therapy.

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I spoke as a 9 year old, and you relate it to me today
how dumb can people be?
You obviously ain't no therapist of any kind

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it does.
You are showing no love to others.
That makes you a legalistic pharisee.

Compassion doesn't let someone get away with stealing. That's not love. That's not caring at all.

Strange statement that I am a pharisee because you are guilty of being a thief and I refuse to tell you that is all right.

Stranger

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus saw the woman at the well and said, "now sin no more".
He did not condemn her
What would Jesus have said to that 9 year old boy?
Would he have quoted the Law as you would?
I doubt it.
I think he would shown compassion and say something supportive to the boy.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus saw the woman at the well and said, "now sin no more".
He did not condemn her
What would Jesus have said to that 9 year old boy?
Would he have quoted the Law as you would?
I doubt it.
I think he would shown compassion and say something supportive to the boy.

Yes, I think Jesus would have quoted the law to a 9 year old boy. Thou shalt not steal. Compassion doesn't let someone get away with a wrong, especially to a youth who are still in the formative years.

Stranger

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man, some of you guys (one or two in particular) are missing Rollo’s point as he is laughing along, and I’m laughing a bit myself ,although this is a serious subject.

BL…There is no love or compassion in some religious groups. Their members are NOT being Christ-like at all. They are living like the Pharisees under the law. Where is the love and compassion when discipline is carried out to a 9 year old boy or even an 80 year old man?

APAK

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always wondered about things.
When I was young, the catholic church gave me an envelope with numbers on it that identified me.
I didn't know that at 9 years old.
So when my mother gave me a dime to put in the envelope, I use to take the dime out and give an empty envelope.

LOL. Funny. But sad, noone bothered to explain the gesture.

How would they know I figured.
Then I would go spend the dime on penny candy and be happy.
We were poor and I rarely got money for penny candy.

I can relate. On "vacation" at grandmas house; (my grandma that had 10 grandchildren but only accounted 1, and didn't like the rest) and my 3 sibling and I were not the 1, lol. Anyway our mom would give us four kids a nickel to walk a 1/2 mile to the store to buy 4 bubble gums. And my grandma would scold my mom for "spoiling" us kids. Lol Spoiled, huh, that piece of bubble gum lasted all week...!!

Well one day the church called my house and told my mother I was giving empty envelopes.
Boy, did I get in trouble.
I was shocked that I had my own number.
I was offended.
Who were they to number me?

Gotcha. I can see your surprise.

I guess I was always independent, growing up in the city projects and surviving on a daily basis.
Well, after getting blasted by my parents, I decided "well, they never go to church, so who are they to tell me what to do with my dime".
And I deduced that since the catholic church was jam packed for 3 services every Sunday morning, that they didn't need my dime.
I needed it more than them.

Now when you think about it, giving a dime to the catholic when I did, I gave rebelliously.

Which in fact, is completely opposite of Scripture. One who does give is suppose to give cheerfully.

But when I kept it and spent it on penny candy, I was happy and thank you.
And people tried to tell me I was sinning.
But I kept doing it.

Well, what was the sin? Giving rebelliously or not giving? Scripture says giving rebelliously.
And WHEN you give, give cheerfully.

Until my mother no longer gave me a dime.
I forget what happened after that.
I still had to go to church but I forget about the envelopes.
I doubt I gave in to my mother, I was far too rebellious.

Seems the story is void of an understanding ever explained to you. Which is not a phenomen of why people rebel, being void of understanding.

But I guess my problem is, who are these church people that they felt they had a right to number a 9 year old boy and keep- track on my giving?

Many times good intentions come across as intent to cause a hardship.

Personally I know many people who were raised Catholic, and couldn't wait to be on their own, to avoided having to go to their Church. Sadly thou, they reject having a relationship with the Lord, citing, what they learned in Catholic School and Church they want nothing to do with God.

Why if I was a few years older I probably would have punched them out.

Ah, a few years older you would have understood and simply rejected their ways, as you reveal your rejection now of their ways.

And to the OP, no I am blessed to not have been a Catholic.

God Bless,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man, some of you guys (one or two in particular) are missing Rollo’s point as he is laughing along, and I’m laughing a bit myself ,although this is a serious subject.

BL…There is no love or compassion in some religious groups. Their members are NOT being Christ-like at all. They are living like the Pharisees under the law. Where is the love and compassion when discipline is carried out to a 9 year old boy or even an 80 year old man?

APAK

Everyone has their own stories of hardships...
And man if you can't look back, and laugh, bitterness can creep it's way in and for some folks, last a life-time.

I have one sister that she and I not only look back and laugh, we were laughing way back when, which too bad, is not the case for our siblings, then or now.

Laughter...good for the soul.

God Bless,
Taken

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone has their own stories of hardships...
And man if you can't look back, and laugh, bitterness can creep it's way in and for some folks, last a life-time.

I have one sister that she and I not only look back and laugh, we were laughing way back when, which too bad, is not the case for our siblings, then or now.

Laughter...good for the soul.

God Bless,
Taken

Yes, I have my stories when my folks couldn't afford our uniforms and books for Catholic school. We still got the notices of not paying up our club dues. My folks had many arguments late at night about their financial status - poor; mostly due to Catholic 'church.' Had to work part-time myself at 11 years to buy a bike and anything else a typical boy owned....

Yes, we should laugh at this, it is in the past. Although this laughter here is one to slam the neo-Pharisees; which is necessary to point out. They are still causing many tears and strained relationships, all for the sake of a dominant and controlling religion...I pray that God will set its members 'free' to know and love the source of life and truth, Jesus Christ.

Thanks for the exchange Taken...it is close to home..this topic

APAK

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It began in 2006.
What about before then???
Before then it was not necessary and records were kept for different reasons. One of which is what I stated -- for selection of children that would be picked for Catholic school acceptance based on the contribution amount of the parents. Richer kids had the advantage. This is not a very christianly thing to do. In fact, it should have been based on the child, the reasons WHY the parents wanted to send the child to a Catholic school, etc.

And you can prove this claim, right?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Judging others.
I created a thread where most of you are judging a 9 year old boy and sending him to hell.
HE DESERVED IT, right!

Now this is some serious drama!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I have my stories when my folks couldn't afford our uniforms and books for Catholic school. We still got the notices of not paying up our club dues. My folks had many arguments late at night about their financial status - poor; mostly due to Catholic 'church.' Had to work part-time myself at 11 years to buy a bike and anything else a typical boy owned....

Yes, we should laugh at this, it is in the past. Although this laughter here is one to slam the neo-Pharisees; which is necessary to point out. They are still causing many tears and strained relationships, all for the sake of a dominant and controlling religion...I pray that God will set its members 'free' to know and love the source of life and truth, Jesus Christ.

APAK

So Catholic School should be free? Yes, it would be nice, but it costs money to provide quality education

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

APAK

Ditto APAK ~

Well, not the part about being poor via the Catholic 'church"...

God Bless,
Taken

B

Butterfly

So Catholic School should be free? Yes, it would be nice, but it costs money to provide quality education
Yes, but as Catholic school, one that supposedly follows Jesus there should be compassion for the poor, and trust in the Lord to provide what ever is needed to be a good school financially - in other words if people cannot afford the uniforms, provide them and let Jesus meet that need through someone else.
My mum use to work at a catholic school, it was right next to the one I went to ( Church of England run school ) There was no difference in the standard of education. We did not have to pay for books and we did not have to wear a uniform - now you do, but if you cannot afford it you get help.
mpMaybe it's different because I love in the UK -private school is for the really wealthy, and you pay. All other education is free up to the age of 18 is free, including college.
Butterfly

Reactions: Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
And you can prove this claim, right?
You think I'm lying too?
I never would think you were.
And why? You don't like what I said.
Did you read my other post?
About the guy who would go at collection time only, drop in his envelope, and then leave.
His daughter was accepted. Nice?
I'm proving nothing. Take it or leave it
I'm not on trial here.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, we know what he says to you, cuz you're a pharisee.

You asked what Jesus would have said to a 9 year old boy who was caught stealing. And I told you. Do you really believe Jesus would not have tried to teach the boy the wrong of what he was doing? Again,what you are suggesting is not compassion, or grace, or love. One who does not discipline a child, does not love the child.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

APAK

This is not about an 80 year old man. Go back and reread, if you can stop laughing long enough. Read my post #97 also. Allowing a 9 year old to get away with stealing is not being Christ-like.

Stranger

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is not about an 80 year old man. Go back and reread, if you can stop laughing long enough. Read my post #97 also. Allowing a 9 year old to get away with stealing is not being Christ-like.

Stranger
I suppose it is ok than for a church to get away with stealing than??

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Stranger
Stranger,
you might have missed some points.
The parents did not KNOW the OP was taking the dime.
...something I could understand a child doing if not properly raised or if feeling deprived. Were you perfect at the age of nine? Your point of the
OP doing wrong as a child is moot because when the parents found out, he was reprimanded.

Being a pharisee means to teach the laws of God but not the love of God, which is what the Pharisees did. Children must be taught with both strength and love. Seems like the OP got a lot of one and none of the other; although it's not up to me or us to say since only he knows.