Are you catholic?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we are disciplined by God, God doesn't need to tell us He loves us. You already know God loves you,....correct? Being saved and being disciplined are not the same thing. I am not saying love is not there. I am saying it doesn't have to be told during the act of discipline.

Stranger
Can you give us an example when God disciplined you

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they are being disciplined, they are being loved. They don't need it told or explained to them.

Stranger

Uh?

I am grounding you for...never mind no need for you to know.

I am spanking you for...never mind no need for you to know.

You have got to be kidding!

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Helen and GodsGrace

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Point was; ONLY considering the child's act, is sort of one-sided.

Everything has a learning curve.
Children are to obey their parents, agree.
We simply as parents TELL kids, do this, don't do that....ie "the rules".
When they begin to "rebel" is a CUE, they are ready for more information, beyond the "rules"; meaning explanations to foster their understanding of the "rules".

Rollo admitted he rebelled, as a kid, by his own understanding of a kid. But what was void, was ANYONE ... parents, church, friend saying, they is WHY the rule exists and WHY we want to teach you to follow this rule.

He rebelled as the understanding of a kid; and then what he had revealed to him was not only were there "rules", but the church was keeping tabs on him and tattling to his parents. And still noone talking to him making any explanations About the rules.

Take ANY adult, who is subject to rules/laws, and there are thousands of rules in the house, in public, at work sights, and the umpteen thousands of laws....at any given time an authority can jerk them aside and punish them for non-compliance....NOT a surprise, less they didn't understand the rule/law.

Just saying, we always give consideration to the circumstances of the party involved.
A kid, a mentally impaired adult, an elderly dementia person, etc.

God Bless,
Taken

Oh, they told me all the time why I should obey the rules.
It's because "I said so"!
And if that didn't sink in, you got the back hander.
I know, most of you don't understand this.
You never experienced.
Even if your parents were the most wonderful parents in the world, just living in the projects would have given you your daily dose of hell.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, they told me all the time why I should obey the rules.
It's because "I said so"!
And if that didn't sink in, you got the back hander.
I know, most of you don't understand this.

Not the first time I have heard this from kids raised Catholic.

You never experienced.

True. If I wanted to know, I asked, If I thought I might know, I asked. And my parents were never reluctant to get me an explanation appropriate for my age.

Even if your parents were the most wonderful parents in the world, just living in the projects would have given you your daily dose of hell.

True. I did not experience living in the projects or on welfare. If we couldn't buy it, we went without. And going without, was a lesson I learned early, didn't like and found ways to work and earn money way before my teen years.

So, yes, I would imagine living in the projects would be constant turmoil.

God Bless,
Taken

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I don't believe that. Understand, I am not talking about abuse, so don't push this into that realm. If a child does wrong and the parent disciplines the child for doing wrong, he doesn't have to tell the child he loves him. He just needs to discipline them. I will go farther yet. If a parent does not love the child, and the child does wrong, and the parent disciplines the child, it is still good as the child needs the discipline.

The child just needs to know they did wrong and got a whupping for it.

Stranger
I feel like I've answered this already. Maybe we're just repeating ourselves.

I have to wonder if you've raised kids. I've raised two. I'll tell you this for sure... A parent SHOULD NOT discipline a child when they're mad. You discipline a child when you're calm and you know what you're doing. Anger doesn't bring out the best in a parent. They speak too quickly or act too quickly, without thinking.

Also, I don't believe a child should be hit. If at all, done very carefully and when the child is very young. I never hit my children after the age of two and mostly it was to teach them to stay away from the curb or to stop them from some other dangerous action.

What works with kids is respect. If they respect you, they'll pay attention when you speak and do as you say. If you're always yelling at them, they turn off and don't listen. If you hit them they stop respecting you.

Children that remember only the discipline and not the love are a sad lot indeed.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh?

I am grounding you for...never mind no need for you to know.

I am spanking you for...never mind no need for you to know.

You have got to be kidding!

God Bless,
Taken

As usual, you twist and distort what was said. It is a habit with you.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I feel like I've answered this already. Maybe we're just repeating ourselves.

I have to wonder if you've raised kids. I've raised two. I'll tell you this for sure... A parent SHOULD NOT discipline a child when they're mad. You discipline a child when you're calm and you know what you're doing. Anger doesn't bring out the best in a parent. They speak too quickly or act too quickly, without thinking.

Also, I don't believe a child should be hit. If at all, done very carefully and when the child is very young. I never hit my children after the age of two and mostly it was to teach them to stay away from the curb or to stop them from some other dangerous action.

What works with kids is respect. If they respect you, they'll pay attention when you speak and do as you say. If you're always yelling at them, they turn off and don't listen. If you hit them they stop respecting you.

Children that remember only the discipline and not the love are a sad lot indeed.

Yes, I believe we are just repeating.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I feel you are not telling the truth.
What is causing you to hold back?
Give it some thought.
Ever have a time where God spoke to you and you heard him?

Feel all you want. I don't need to give any thought to it. I have already told you.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good grief, nothing was twisted or distorted.

YOU SAID;

Own it.

God Bless,
Taken

Again, you twist and distort what was said. There is nothing you said for me to own.

Stranger

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, you twist and distort what was said. There is nothing you said for me to own.

Stranger

Again, and again, take responsibility for what you say. Sheesh, read your own words!

God Bless,
Taken

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, and again, take responsibility for what you say. Sheesh, read your own words!

God Bless,
Taken

I do take responsibility for what I said. I don't take responsibility for what you twisted and distorted.

Stranger

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not the first time I have heard this from kids raised Catholic.

Quote :- Not the first time I have heard this from kids raised Catholic.

Forget the "Catholic bit"...that is always what my mother said to us!! lol

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quote :- Not the first time I have heard this from kids raised Catholic.

Forget the "Catholic bit"...that is always what my mother said to us!! lol

I don't recall my parents ever saying that to me. Different strokes I guess.

God Bless,
Taken

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I always wondered about things.
When I was young, the catholic church gave me an envelope with numbers on it that identified me.
I didn't know that at 9 years old.
So when my mother gave me a dime to put in the envelope, I use to take the dime out and give an empty envelope.
How would they know I figured.
Then I would go spend the dime on penny candy and be happy.
We were poor and I rarely got money for penny candy.
Well one day the church called my house and told my mother I was giving empty envelopes.
Boy, did I get in trouble.
I was shocked that I had my own number.
I was offended.
Who were they to number me?
I guess I was always independent, growing up in the city projects and surviving on a daily basis.
Well, after getting blasted by my parents, I decided "well, they never go to church, so who are they to tell me what to do with my dime".
And I deduced that since the catholic church was jam packed for 3 services every Sunday morning, that they didn't need my dime.
I needed it more than them.
Now when you think about it, giving a dime to the catholic when I did, I gave rebelliously.
But when I kept it and spent it on penny candy, I was happy and thank you.
And people tried to tell me I was sinning.
But I kept doing it.
Until my mother no longer gave me a dime.
I forget what happened after that.
I still had to go to church but I forget about the envelopes.
I doubt I gave in to my mother, I was far too rebellious.

But I guess my problem is, who are these church people that they felt they had a right to number a 9 year old boy and keep- track on my giving?
Why if I was a few years older I probably would have punched them out.
I am a Catholic but not a Roman Catholic or a Protestant.
Did Jesus ask for money, I think he gave on another subject entirely and asked for something much more. that's the key ! as for money Jesus pointed that out who's face was on that coin, was only due to that dude.
The Church does not need money, the Holy Spirit is the only thing it needs.
True Christians give due to the Grace that's within them for others Spiritual Wealth first and foremost and that's what the path to Salvation is about, money never helped anyone spiritually.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a Catholic but not a Roman Catholic or a Protestant.
Did Jesus ask for money, I think he gave on another subject entirely and asked for something much more. that's the key ! as for money Jesus pointed that out who's face was on that coin, was only due to that dude.
The Church does not need money, the Holy Spirit is the only thing it needs.
True Christians give due to the Grace that's within them for others Spiritual Wealth first and foremost and that's what the path to Salvation is about, money never helped anyone spiritually.

God has provided all the things upon this earth (our estate), to sustain a mans Life (blood).
However man has stepped in and claims for himself, or oppresses for men to access what God freely provided.

When God established Aaron as Preist, and later the 12 Tribes, Levites being the Preistly Tribe, not given Land, as they were to travel about ministering to the other Tribes; the People were to "support", the Priests, that were "feeding" the the people (the Word of God).
The "support", was initially, giving them a place to sleep, a meal, sandals, clothing, a place to wash...even perhaps a few coins as money became in use....etc.

The same was effected when Jesus walked about ministering. He ate in other peoples homes, was given things and money and traveled about. And Judas was the treasure accountant of the money.

Today is the same expectation, for men to "support", whatever is FEEDING them the Word of God. And today, since the Churches are established as a BUSINESS; they fall under the civil laws, as a BUSINESS.

Giving a Church Minister or the Established Church (as an entity) a GIFT of "things", because they ARE a business; becomes TAXIBLE items. And giving "money", becomes tax exempt, and deductible, and all the nonsense involved with our wishy washy tax system.

The premise has not changed. Give to the one who FEEDS you the Word of God.

The Churches (as an entity), continuously make "promises", setting up programs, food banks, missionaries, homes for wayward teens, on and on. Thus the Church REQUIRES money to support these efforts, and promises, and thus is always begging their parishoners' to promise to give them money, so the Church (entity) can make good on "IT"S" promises....and then the Church (entity) gets the glory as being famous for handouts and the poor.

The thing is; the POOR in Scripture, concerning the Church, is not the poor whose stomach is hungry, but rather the POOR in Spirit.
The purpose of the Church IS to FEED the POOR IN Spirit.

The Church has become a mini government.
They can not DEMAND one gives, (as a government does via taxiation). But they can beg and bully and harass and guilt trip people, and do. No doubt some people cheerfully give....and also No doubt some people feel bullied into giving.

God Bless,
Taken