Are You Free From The Law?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

R

Rita

If I may

I think it is dangerous trying to look to the law as a means of christian growth or trying to find knowledge of how we should live our lives.

The reason I say this is because As paul said in gal 3. Its purpose was not to show us how to live righteous, but to prove to us how unrighteous we are. (lead us to Christ)

While sin is still sin, and if we break a command, any command, it is sin.

The command itself does not show us how to live,

That is where the NT comes in, ie, the law of love.

While I personally love to look to the OT to find Christ and see all the things, I do not use it to guide my life. I look to love, As jesus said, The two great commands of love, in THESE two commands are all the law and prophets.

Our focus should not be, What does the command say about this,

it should be, Who can I love this day, If I do this thing, is it loving God or others. or loving self.

Does this make sense?
Yes, I see what you are saying, never really looked at it that way, not sure I agree about the commandments not showing us how to live though- have to think about that part xx
Rita

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are not under ant law, never where, the law was given to the Israelites the Jews, until Christ. IS love a real problem to you. seems to be.
With or without "law" (whatever you believe it is),

whoever denies Christ is God, is fully deceived and if Christ is not God, Christ cannot atone for your sins.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I see what you are saying, never really looked at it that way, not sure I agree about the commandments not showing us how to live though- have to think about that part xx
Rita
I thought, and still think , you know God's Word well enough , for years,

to know that as Jesus says His commandments are not burdens, but are the WAY OF LIFE - LIGHT TO OUR FEET, LIGHTING UP OUR PATH, as God Says.

The false gospel denies God's Instructions, God's Word, and is opposed to Jesus.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[QUOTE="]Christians are under the Law of Christ, which is tougher than the Law of Moses.[/QUOTE]
"tougher", yet not a burden :)
resulting* in eternal life as Jesus says in the Gospels....

the law(TORAH) of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus !!! HALLELUYAH FOREVER !

*resulting : for those who love God and keep His Word, who are appointed according to God's Purpose. (not man's)

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rita
I look at it like this

The command says do not commit adultery. By the letter.

1. It does not show us HOW to obey this command
2. It does not show us every possible way of breaking this command.

So which is better

Following the letter. which does not show us anything, and we can break the command without even committing the act, ie, we can be in sin and not even know it,

Of following the law of Love

1. If you love your wife or husband, you would not sin
2. If you really loved the man or woman you are thinking of committing this sin with, You again, Would not sin. (scripture states that when you have relations outside of marriage you are sinning against the one you are taking advantage of, even if it is consensual)

so in following the law of Love, You have kept the commandment.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

to know that as Jesus says His commandments are not burdens, but are the WAY OF LIFE - LIGHT TO OUR FEET, LIGHTING UP OUR PATH, as God Says.

The false gospel denies God's Instructions, God's Word, and is opposed to Jesus.

smh!!!!

R

Rita

I look at it like this

The command says do not commit adultery. By the letter.

1. It does not show us HOW to obey this command
2. It does not show us every possible way of breaking this command.

So which is better

Following the letter. which does not show us anything, and we can break the command without even committing the act, ie, we can be in sin and not even know it,

Of following the law of Love

1. If you love your wife or husband, you would not sin
2. If you really loved the man or woman you are thinking of committing this sin with, You again, Would not sin. (scripture states that when you have relations outside of marriage you are sinning against the one you are taking advantage of, even if it is consensual)

so in following the law of Love, You have kept the commandment.
Yes, I agree, I think all I was saying- which your earlier post suggested ( just had to give it some thought ) that the law tells us that adultery would be wrong in the first place.....it’s the baseline. ( using adultery as an example ) so for me your approach, and my approach, go hand in hand. But I do like the way you have looked at it- just needed to reflect a bit. Xx
Rita

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I agree, I think all I was saying- which your earlier post suggested ( just had to give it some thought ) that the law tells us that adultery would be wrong in the first place.....it’s the baseline. ( using adultery as an example ) so for me your approach, and my approach, go hand in hand. But I do like the way you have looked at it- just needed to reflect a bit. Xx
Rita

Thank you for a blessed conversation :)

Reactions: Rita
R

Rita

I am not denying anything of the sort Joesph ............

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Scribes and Pharisees and Sad-you-sees, and the modern day equivalent (religious teachers gone astray), often said/ say they 'love', and that they are God's 'representatives' and are teaching as they should,
and they don't.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not denying anything of the sort Joesph ............
That's what I just said - you do not deny that the false gospel denies God's Instructions, God's Word, and is opposed to Jesus.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh okay, I read it in a different way, many apologies x
Rita
Totally no worries (in joyful thoughts and thanks to God for your fellowship true in Christ Jesus).....

The mistakes/ 'reading different' happen frequently, usually without such good results though - with so many posts tricking people or trying to do so, from the false gospel fables online, so mixed up and mixed in with a little truth here, a little false there,

it is very awkward , and a problem daily.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 8:1-2 King James Version (KJV)
8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Do you think you are free from the Law? How can you be free from the Law when you cannot stop Sinning?
How can you be free at all ?

Could it be anything like "DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY?" ?!

RogerDC

Jan 17, 2020
Forster
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Because they have love, what is it about Love you dont understand??
So now you're agreeing that to love is what Paul means when he says "we uphold the law" (Romans 3:31)? In post 834 you said love is not law! Make up your mind, is love a law or not?

RogerDC

Jan 17, 2020
Forster
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God Himself Says who God hates. It is directly in His Word, Plan and Purpose, and confirmed daily.
Why is that fundamentalists can't understand that some words in the Bible should not be interpreted literally? Are they really that clueless?

RogerDC

Jan 17, 2020
Forster
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We are not under ant law, never where, the law was given to the Israelites the Jews, until Christ. IS love a real problem to you. seems to be.
Explain why Paul says "we uphold the law" in Romans 3:31?

RogerDC

Jan 17, 2020
Forster
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Explain why Paul says "love is the fulfillment of the LAW" in Romans 13:8-10?

"Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,”“You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law."

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is that fundamentalists can't understand that some words in the Bible should not be interpreted literally? Are they really that clueless?
Unless God says otherwise - we are not to take any man's word , like yours, over God's Word, when He Says Directly What He Means.
He follows thru also - He destroys those He hates, the unrepentant, whose hearts are full of only wickednesses, and planning evil every day and night, if they do not repent as He Says -
even to those not so wicked, not the ones He says He hates,
Jesus says: "Unless you each repent, you shall all likewise perish" (like the ones on whom the tower fell).