Are You Free From The Law?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is your authority: truth of the bible? You say the bible because the bible is truth, however this is wrong. The culimation of writings you call the bible contains a very, very, very tiny amount of truth when it comes to amount. There is a whole lot of truth outside the bible. However, you make the bible the WHOLE truth. So sure, there is a little, tiny bit of truth in the bible, but it's not the truth so you can't go quoting it as an absolute like you do

It is true that the written word is one source of truth, and the original source for the gospel at least, and many other areas including prophecy.

Yes, we are to listen to and obey the Spirit as each believer is given 'different' commands at times in their lives for obedience and growth. All truth is from God, indeed, although not all believers receive the same parts of the Truth as we all do not have the same spiritual gifts or knowledge to proceed in life..you know many Christians do not want to touch this subject you have raised because many are hesitant to truly walk in Christ by the Spirit, they are overly cautious. Many think they are 'walking' or 'standing' perfectly in Christ already by just being acquainted with the written truth or word of God..Blessings....APAK

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's look to Scripture, okay ?

The first step was Jesus', telling His disciples they must be perfect, right ? ( this is confirmed in Scripture, but the fulfillment also is seen in the New Testament, in God's Word, as He Says, Declares and Points out..... so what were the "steps" ( as seen in Scripture) .... ) ......... from start (Jesus' saying) to completion (in the NT) ?

Also, in Hebrews, there is a strong warning to be aware of, 'to be sure' no one falls short......
JESUS TOLD HIS DISCIPLES TO BE PERFECT? not saying that you're right or wrong, but consider this, was not one of them a "Devil?" John 6:70

PICJAG.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes he is our high priest, the final and eternal one, indeed Joseph as the Father permitted it...as you know I'm not a Trinitarian so I cannot change titles to suit others etc. I just use scripture as it reads... It is the Father's will and never the Son's will for this subject under study.
That's not related to any trinity ideas I know of.

The Father and the Son are echad, as likewise the Son's prayer in John 17.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JESUS TOLD HIS DISCIPLES TO BE PERFECT? not saying that you're right or wrong, but consider this, was not one of them a "Devil?" John 6:70

PICJAG.
Likewise today? So? Those who the Father and Jesus say are faithful, are faithful. Those who they say are sons of disobedience, are sons of disobedience.

Are you surprised Jesus told the disciples they must be perfect? It is a well known Scripture.....

Are you surprised God told the Israelites they must be holy ? It is unchangeable Scripture also....

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Likewise today? So? Those who the Father and Jesus say are faithful, are faithful. Those who they say are sons of disobedience, are sons of disobedience.

Are you surprised Jesus told the disciples they must be perfect? It is a well known Scripture.....

Are you surprised God told the Israelites they must be holy ? It is unchangeable Scripture also....
no, not suprise, at all. Yes we know these things just as Jesus told Israelites to be circumcise of the heart in the OT.
and that he is God almighty himself. are you suprise of these well know scriptures.

now back to my question, how can a "devil" be perfect? that suprise me :eek: .

PICJAG.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one said a devil can even be good at all, nor that any truth can come from the sons of disobedience.

Most of the disciples Jesus told that to be His disciple they must be perfect, left Him. Same today. Same with other difficult words when they did not understand Jesus,

except for those who trusted the heavenly Father, in whom the Father Himself granted salvation accomplished.

Why did you think that Jesus telling a disciple something, caused the disciple to believe and to obey ? Usually it does not happen , obviously looking around everywhere, but mostly because Scripture says it usually does not happen - most people never repent of serving demons, according to Scripture..... all society is pernicious still, death dealing, according to Scripture.

RogerDC

Jan 17, 2020
Forster
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Wrong, you will see it. As for whether it exists, you're an idiot to think it doesn't. Got is a being who is full of love FOR HIMSELF. From that love stems his love for others like his son and his servants. He does not love others for themselves. Rather, he loves others for his sake and his sake only. If he didn't, then he wouldn't be God. And since he is full of love for himself, he is also full of hate for anyone who disregards him. Indeed, just as he is lovely to those who are his he is wrathful to those who are not
God doesn't hate anyone - even those who end up in Hell. God hates sin, not sinners. God loves everyone -. even those who will perish.

Reactions: Pearl

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God Himself Says who God hates. It is directly in His Word, Plan and Purpose, and confirmed daily.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Go back to my post - explain what "law" it is that Paul says believers "uphold".
We are not under ant law, never where, the law was given to the Israelites the Jews, until Christ. IS love a real problem to you. seems to be.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes

But what is that mark. And how do we know if we fall below it?
Sin is not doing this

Luk 6:31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

If we dont want them to steal from us, we dont steal from them really simple. And of course you must forgive everyone if you dont well...

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't it just the Jews to whom God gave the laws? Gentiles were never under God's law. But through the cross Jesus made a way for Jew and gentile alike to come to God.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Wasn't it just the Jews to whom God gave the laws? Gentiles were never under God's law. But through the cross Jesus made a way for Jew and gentile alike to come to God.
Exactly we got the better way

Reactions: Pearl
R

Rita

Not sure I see the laws as irrelevant though. God people were redeemed before the laws were given, Grace was already in place ....there were 18 chapters before the law came.
Exodus 2O ‘ I am the Lord your God ( already in a relationship with his people ) who brought you out of eqypt ( out of slavery / lack of freedom ) ......this was BEFORE HE said ‘ you shall..... you shall not .......
The laws were an aim to keep that relationship happy and healthy, and to prevent a whole lot of grief, pain and consequences from wrong decisions and choices - guidelines from a loving father to his children........
Some look at the OT and presume that it is about obeying the law As a means to an end and the NT about being about Grace .....but I would argue that the whole of the bible is about Grace

We are free, but not in the sense that we don’t need to adhere to good advice found in the law of the commandments ........
Rita

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Wasn't it just the Jews to whom God gave the laws?
The Ten Commandments were given to all mankind. In the Old Covenant (the Law of Moses) they were written on tablets of stone. In the New Covenant they are written on hearts and minds and are integral to the Law of Christ. And for all Gentiles, they are written in their consciences. It is all there in the Bible.

The other laws were fulfilled by Christ and are no longer applicable to the Church (other than those in Acts 15). However, many of those laws can be applied in daily life, and in the laws of the land, since they all came from God. Therefore Christians need to understand these things clearly.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are free, but not in the sense that we don’t need to adhere to good advice found in the law of the commandments ........
Commandments are not merely *good advice*. They are divine commandments.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure I see the laws as irrelevant though. God people were redeemed before the laws were given, Grace was already in place ....there were 18 chapters before the law came.
Exodus 2O ‘ I am the Lord your God ( already in a relationship with his people ) who brought you out of eqypt ( out of slavery / lack of freedom ) ......this was BEFORE HE said ‘ you shall..... you shall not .......
The laws were an aim to keep that relationship happy and healthy, and to prevent a whole lot of grief, pain and consequences from wrong decisions and choices - guidelines from a loving father to his children........
Some look at the OT and presume that it is about obeying the law As a means to an end and the NT about being about Grace .....but I would argue that the whole of the bible is about Grace

Rita
If I may

I think it is dangerous trying to look to the law as a means of christian growth or trying to find knowledge of how we should live our lives.

The reason I say this is because As paul said in gal 3. Its purpose was not to show us how to live righteous, but to prove to us how unrighteous we are. (lead us to Christ)

While sin is still sin, and if we break a command, any command, it is sin.

The command itself does not show us how to live,

That is where the NT comes in, ie, the law of love.

While I personally love to look to the OT to find Christ and see all the things, I do not use it to guide my life. I look to love, As jesus said, The two great commands of love, in THESE two commands are all the law and prophets.

Our focus should not be, What does the command say about this,

it should be, Who can I love this day, If I do this thing, is it loving God or others. or loving self.

Does this make sense?