Ask An Atheist

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
(Christina;60224)
The only question I want to ask you is what are your morals
Good question. Benjamin Franklin, in spite of his doubts about Christianity, had no doubts that Christianity was necessary for moral guidance.

Theophage

Oct 5, 2008
(Christina;60224)
I honestly don't care why you are an atheist the thing about you atheist is your arrogance and attitude you try to pretend like you are so smart and your going to teach us poor dumb Christians something because we are such a sad lot we believe in things unseen and fairy tales.
Hello Christina. That certainly is not my intention, nor did I think that I was coming off that way though what I wrote. Do I really seem that way? I thought I made my intentions pretty clear in my first post of this thread, and in my introduction post in the Welcome Wagon forum. Did you read my introduction there? If you honestly don't care, why are you posting in this thread?
And sense you are not an expert in that your just talking hot air an opinion and everybody's got one of those.
All I am giving here is my opinion and my own personal beliefs; I thought I made that clear in the beginning. No one is forcing you to listen to them if you aren't interested. This thread was set up for anyone who is interested, and so far I have had some interesting questions.
The only question I want to ask you is what are your morals
Well thank you for your question, but if you really don't want to hear my opinions, why would you still ask for them? I'll be happy to answer anyway.I personally get my morals from the same place that most of humanity gets them, the idea of equality, otherwise known as the "golden rule". You should be familiar with this idea, since it is also found in the Bible. There are things that I don't want done to me or the ones that I love, and there are things that I do want done to me and those that I love. Since I don't consider myself a "special" member of humanity, then whatever is done to me is morally equivalent to whatever I do to others. In other words, if I find it morally bad (or good) to have done to me or the ones I love, then it is just as morally bad (or good) for me to do it to others. It is a fairly simple system that has been around in just about every culture in the world.The the main problem is that most people don't apply this system of morality equally. Maybe they give appropriate moral consideration to their friends and family, but not strangers or others. In tribal conflicts, it may be considered wrong to do a particular thing to a fellow tribe member, but anyone from another tribe is fair game. I think that just about everyone in the world understands this system of morality, but many people simply don't apply it universally. Certain groups are favored over other groups. Certain groups are excluded. And it is in these exceptions that we find the most immoral, the most inhumane activities going on.I don't believe that it makes any difference whether there is or is not a God for this moral system to be true, nor in how equally it is applied.

Theophage

Oct 5, 2008
(Follower;60226)
"Without cause" is the same as saying you have no answer to where the universe came from (and, that there is no answer). You start with the finite universe that has existed some finite time (even if that is all time). I start with the infinite God. Where did God come from? God infinitely regresses (there are no deal-breakers).
I understand that God is supposed to be infinite, but do you really mean to say that God is an infinite regression of causes? Most believers would say that he is a single cause of everything. An infinite regression of causes is an infinite number of things causing each other.Christian philosophers such as William Lane Craig and Phil Fernandez both argue in their respective cosmological arguments that infinite regression is impossible, and thus a God is necessary as a First Cause.http://www.leaderu.com/truth/3truth11.htmlhttps://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=6300411354 (debate audio, sorry I couldn't find a transcript)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_argument

Theophage

Oct 5, 2008
(Follower;60225)
Those things are more along the line of "Wouldn't it be nice if God..."
It certainly would be nice if God gave objectively verifiable evidence of his existence; everything else that exists does. You asked what sorts of things I would consider evidence for God, and those are some things.As I tried to explain, what the exact form of the evidence is isn't that important, what is important, and why it would be considered "evidence", is that it would be objectively verifiable.
In principle, without actually having seen both a world with and a world without God, how do you know what the differences are?
Again, what the specific differences are aren't as important as the fact that there are differences which can be objectively verified. For example, if in the one hand we have A+B, and in the other hand we have A, and there is no difference between what is in either hand, then we know that B is zero (nothing). Similarly, if we have a universe + God on the one hand, and simply a universe on the other, if there are no testable differences between the two, then God adds exactly nothing, he is superfluous. This is the idea of parsimony you mentioned earlier.
God is using the human medium in the same way God would. Do you mean to ask why he doesn't spread his message supernaturally? Thomas Pain asked if Jesus is God, why didn't he invent the printing press to spread his message more efficiently. Who are either of us to say that what God has done isn't sufficient for his plans?
Again, God can certainly do it any way He wants. But if I am trying to determine if this is a universe with God, or just a universe without God, having no difference between the two swings the balance in favor of "without God".
If God were putting in a lot of effort to prove himself through our perception, I think that would cause me to doubt his omnipotence. Are you impressed by showoffs?
It isn't a matter of proving Himself, like going out of the way or anything, just a verifiable difference from Him not existing. I don't consider trees show offs, and they give objectively verifiable evidence. I don't consider atoms show offs, yet they give objectively verifiable evidence. Things which do not exist cannot give evidence of their existence.
That begs the question of what the two different worlds look like. Maybe a world without God wouldn't have been brought into existence. Maybe it wouldn't have any life on it. Maybe its people would be green. Maybe it wouldn't have a Bible.
All of those are certainly possible, but we've got the universe that we've got. We know it exists, the question then becomes what verifiable evidence do we have that God also exists? I simply haven't seen any, that is why my beliefs are what they are.

Alpha and Omega

May 11, 2008
Theophage what do you suppose is different from an atheist and a theist? Why does one believe and one does not?You say there is no evidence but I would tell you there is plenty. Why can I see evidence for God but an atheist cannot?Last question...hypothetically speaking if everyone is an atheist who makes the rules? Because one person might be appalled at murder another might not...but if there is no higher power to answer to then who says either is right or wrong?

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
(Theophage;60232)
I understand that God is supposed to be infinite, but do you really mean to say that God is an infinite regression of causes?
I didn't say "of causes". Regression, regress, to go back. Iterations are not required. "What caused God" is an invalid question because he is infinite. But, saying the first moment is without cause raises the question of how can something finite not have a cause?

Theophage

Oct 5, 2008
I don't think that simply being infinite excuses one from needing a cause, so I can't really answer that question. I am interested in your reasoning there, however. Can you explain?

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
(Theophage;60233)
It certainly would be nice if God gave objectively verifiable evidence of his existence;
God created a universe, but you would rather to believe that the universe just happened. You mentioned something about medically-verifiable faith healings, unique to one group. Like all the evidence of God that is rejected, if healings were additional evidence, they'd likewise be rejected. For example, you might reason that psychic energy is doing the healing, not God. The reason only one group can do it is because they're the only ones practicing the rituals that open the necessary brain pathways. How about DNA? Some Atheists have suggested that maybe Aliens created it. No scientist has even the beginning of a working theory to create the DNA necessary for the first life. But, according to common Atheist philosophy, the possibility of God cannot even be considered. Even if there is something you couldn't understand, you wouldn't want to bring science to a halt by saying God did it. (Contrary to such reasoning, science doesn't halt just because someone has a wrong theory. But, science does halt when scientists refuse to consider something for a priori reasons.)
Again, what the specific differences are aren't as important as the fact that there are differences which can be objectively verified. For example, if in the one hand we have A+B, and in the other hand we have A, and there is no difference between what is in either hand, then we know that B is zero (nothing).
Using your analogy, you have one hand, even though you can examine what you're holding, you don't know if it's A or A+B. The issue is, what is in your hand, A or A+B? You say you're going to figure that out by comparing it to the other hand, which you know is the opposite (one hand is A+B and the other is A). The trouble is, you have only one hand. You said, "The world with God seems to be indistinguishable from the world without God." I asked how can you say that when you've never seen the other world to make that comparison.
It isn't a matter of proving Himself, like going out of the way or anything, just a verifiable difference from Him not existing. I don't consider trees show offs, and they give objectively verifiable evidence.
A tree is just being a tree. It's not doing anything special to prove something to you. You want God to do something special.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
(Theophage;60244)
I don't think that simply being infinite excuses one from needing a cause, so I can't really answer that question. I am interested in your reasoning there, however. Can you explain?
A "cause" is a a transition, something changing, an new effect coming into being. For God, there is no "first moment", no place for a cause to be. Asking what caused God would be like asking what caused a brick to a brick today. Nothing, it was a brick yesterday, as well.

Theophage

Oct 5, 2008
(Alpha and Omega;60237)
Theophage what do you suppose is different from an atheist and a theist? Why does one believe and one does not?
Well, of course everyone has their own reasons, so I can only give what I perceive to be common reasons, and those I've heard other people tell me. What I have heard from many believers is that God has changed their lives in some way. Many also believe in God due to the "where does everything come from?" question. "God made it" is a pretty easy to understand answer.As for non-belief, most of the non-believers I've talked with cite basically the same reasons as me, no evidence to believe that God exists, but evidence to think that He is just a fictional character. Some I've heard said that things didn't really make sense in their minds until they started questioning what they've been told about God.I'm sure you've got a place somewhere on this site for personal testimonies (though I really haven't looked), but here is a thread from another board I belong to which asks that question of non-believers: http://www.atheistnation.net/forums/index....pic,1879.0.htmlUltimately, it seems that the difference is both personal reflection on what is true and what isn't, and different life experiences.
You say there is no evidence but I would tell you there is plenty. Why can I see evidence for God but an atheist cannot?
I don't know what evidence you have, of course, but I would guess that it is due to our disagreement about what really qualifies as supporting evidence or not. For example, if I said that rainbows were evidence that leprechauns exist, should that really be considered good supporting evidence? Clearly all possible evidences are not equal, and there must be a rational way to determine which is good evidence and which is bad evidence. I think each side considers their evidence to be the most rational, so the only real way to know is to put them against each other side by side and argue for and against. That is why people hold debates on these kinds of subjects, and I find them often very interesting and enlightening.
Last question...hypothetically speaking if everyone is an atheist who makes the rules? Because one person might be appalled at murder another might not...but if there is no higher power to answer to then who says either is right or wrong?
Well, are you talking about strictly moral rules here, or other kinds of rules as well? I gave an answer above regarding where I get my sense of morality from. People across times and cultures generally have similar ideas of what is right and what is wrong. I feel this is built into us through evolution because we are social animals. If you examine other social animals, like a pack of wolves for instance, you will see many of the same kinds of moral "laws" in play.As I mentioned in my post on my sense of morality, the problem with immorality in the history of humanity is not so much confusion about what constitutes right and wrong, but mostly a lack of universal application. Most people treat those they love with good moral consideration, but they don't extend that to everyone else.So to answer your question, I think that there are things which are actually right and actually wrong, regardless of what we think about them or what God commands about them. It comes from the way things really are, not added externally by another source.Did that help? I'm looking back now, and I'm not sure I answered you very well...

Theophage

Oct 5, 2008
(Follower;60252)
A "cause" is a a transition, something changing, an new effect coming into being. For God, there is no "first moment", no place for a cause to be. Asking what caused God would be like asking what caused a brick to a brick today. Nothing, it was a brick yesterday, as well.
I agree with this almost 100%, Follower. The only part I'd disagree with would be where you said "For God, there is no "first moment", no place for a cause to be." Firstly, because it seems to me that all moments would be one with God, sort of an eternal timelessness, but that may not match your theology. But mainly, because it is exactly the idea of a "first moment" which makes it so that there is no place for a cause. A cause requires a prior moment. If the universe existed from the very first moment, then there was no place for a cause. Just like if God was there at the very first moment of time, he wouldn't need a cause either.Either way, I really didn't see how God being infinite fit in there. I guess I'm just missing it. Perhaps we'd like to take this discussion to another place and go into it deeper? I'd really like to keep this more of a question and answer type of thing.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Theophage;60230)
Hello Christina. That certainly is not my intention, nor did I think that I was coming off that way though what I wrote. Do I really seem that way? I thought I made my intentions pretty clear in my first post of this thread, and in my introduction post in the Welcome Wagon forum. Did you read my introduction there? If you honestly don't care, why are you posting in this thread? All I am giving here is my opinion and my own personal beliefs; I thought I made that clear in the beginning. No one is forcing you to listen to them if you aren't interested. This thread was set up for anyone who is interested, and so far I have had some interesting questions.Well thank you for your question, but if you really don't want to hear my opinions, why would you still ask for them? I'll be happy to answer anyway.I personally get my morals from the same place that most of humanity gets them, the idea of equality, otherwise known as the "golden rule". You should be familiar with this idea, since it is also found in the Bible. There are things that I don't want done to me or the ones that I love, and there are things that I do want done to me and those that I love. Since I don't consider myself a "special" member of humanity, then whatever is done to me is morally equivalent to whatever I do to others. In other words, if I find it morally bad (or good) to have done to me or the ones I love, then it is just as morally bad (or good) for me to do it to others. It is a fairly simple system that has been around in just about every culture in the world.The the main problem is that most people don't apply this system of morality equally. Maybe they give appropriate moral consideration to their friends and family, but not strangers or others. In tribal conflicts, it may be considered wrong to do a particular thing to a fellow tribe member, but anyone from another tribe is fair game. I think that just about everyone in the world understands this system of morality, but many people simply don't apply it universally. Certain groups are favored over other groups. Certain groups are excluded. And it is in these exceptions that we find the most immoral, the most inhumane activities going on.I don't believe that it makes any difference whether there is or is not a God for this moral system to be true, nor in how equally it is applied.
Well I admit my opinion is based on my three years of experience with atheists many here respond because they care and want to show you there is a God for the sake of your soul. It just makes me a little angry that you people come here to show us how wrong we are because you have intelligence and logic on your side Which is really why your here no matter what you claim You maybe a nice person but your motives are the same as the others you want your ego boosted. By proving to yourself yeah all those christians are the same they wont listen to my intelligent arguments. If you were here to ask questions or find out about God you would not start out with and arrogant post like Ask an Atheist.The fact are very simple you listen to men think man has all the answersWe listen to God and think God has all the answers So the facts are you and I both have 50/50 % chance of being right The difference is if you are wrong it cost you your soul If Im wrong it costs me nothing except having to listen to people like you tell me Im wrong. And the morals you claim to have where do you think they came from the apes you think you evolved from ....... No they came from our inner self/soul/sprirt the one God gave us when he created us..... Morals do not come from evolving from animals they live by a different law of nature. That fact itself proves you are wrong in my opinion.

Theophage

Oct 5, 2008
(Follower;60250)
God created a universe, but you would rather to believe that the universe just happened.
How do you know what I would rather or not?
You mentioned something about medically-verifiable faith healings, unique to one group. Like all the evidence of God that is rejected, if healings were additional evidence, they'd likewise be rejected. For example, you might reason that psychic energy is doing the healing, not God. The reason only one group can do it is because they're the only ones practicing the rituals that open the necessary brain pathways.
If you think I'm simply rejecting evidence out of hand, well that is certainly your right to do. But why would you think this? Do you reject the miracles of other religions out of hand? Why or why not?My point was that all the different groups who claim their religions are correct and their Gods are real cannot all simultaneously be true. You agree with this, yes? But if one group is somehow misattributing things to the truth of their beliefs, what is stopping all such groups from being wrong?I think if one particular group had a monopoly on the miracle claims, then that would be much better evidence that they were correct. Do you agree?
How about DNA? Some Atheists have suggested that maybe Aliens created it.
One specific group are the Raelians: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%C3%ABlism I think they are just as nutty as you do
biggrin.gif

No scientist has even the beginning of a working theory to create the DNA necessary for the first life.
Not quite true, for example the RNA World hypothesis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNA_world_hypothesis
But, according to common Atheist philosophy, the possibility of God cannot even be considered.
Well, if the philosophy is specifically an atheist one, it is not surprising that God isn't considered. A specifically Christian philosophy wouldn't consider the possibility of Ganesha either.
wink.gif
But that doesn't mean that an atheist cannot consider the possibility of God. Do you see the difference?
Even if there is something you couldn't understand, you wouldn't want to bring science to a halt by saying God did it.
Again you talk about what I would or would not want. How do you know what I want?If "God did it" is a good explanation with good evidence behind it, then rationally I'd have to agree with it. I have no problem changing what I believe to fit the evidence.
(Contrary to such reasoning, science doesn't halt just because someone has a wrong theory. But, science does halt when scientists refuse to consider something for a priori reasons.)
I think this is a rather misunderstood idea. It isn't so much that science can't consider God as a mechanism for some phenomena, but a lack of science's ability to test such a hypothesis involving God. In science, an untestable hypothesis is pretty useless. But as I'd alluded to in an earlier post, if God answered questions reliably and audibly, then God's involvement most certainly could be tested and would be very useful in science.
Using your analogy, you have one hand, even though you can examine what you're holding, you don't know if it's A or A+B. The issue is, what is in your hand, A or A+B? You say you're going to figure that out by comparing it to the other hand, which you know is the opposite (one hand is A+B and the other is A). The trouble is, you have only one hand.
I think you're missing the point I was trying to make. Both ideas are hypothetical. We don't discover the difference between them at the start, we declare that they are different and we look for what some of those differences might be. One possible difference would again be that miraculous healings and happenings only happen to one type of believer. Another possible difference would be if the laws of the universe made life impossible, but yet here we were anyway. If you cannot find any differences at all, then there is no reason to believe the two ideas are different. If the ideas are not different, then adding God to one idea doesn't account for anything.I'm sorry, I don't think I can explain any better than that, we may just have to agree to disagree on this one.
You said, "The world with God seems to be indistinguishable from the world without God." I asked how can you say that when you've never seen the other world to make that comparison.
Perhaps I can give a better example: If I were to form a hypothesis that lightning was an electrical phenomena, as opposed to, say, an electrical one plus the involvement of invisible lightning beings, I would have two hypothetical possibilities, right? One where lightning was electrical, one where lightning was a combination of electrical phenomena and the involvement of the lightning beings. In order to test this hypothesis, I don't have to have seen purely electrical lightning on the one hand, and electrical plus lightning being lightning on the other. All I would need to test the hypothesis is to come up with possible differences between the two ideas, and then look for those differences. If I could find no difference, then rationally the electricity alone version would be more correct.A question for you, are you really saying that there is no testable difference between a universe with God and a universe without one? That's fine if you are, but that would be unexpected.
A tree is just being a tree. It's not doing anything special to prove something to you. You want God to do something special.
Where did I say it had to be something special? I just said it had to be something objectively verifiable. Again, that is the key. I am not discriminating against God in this, I expect everything that exists to give objectively verifiable evidence of its existence. Is that an irrational expectation in your eyes?

Theophage

Oct 5, 2008
(Christina;60258)
If you were here to ask questions or find out about God you would not start out with and arrogant post like Ask an Atheist.
I specifically stated my purpose here, and no where in that did I say my purpose here was to ask questions or find out about God. I think so far I've done exactly what I stated I was going to do here. I'm sorry that you feel that is a bad thing.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Thats exactly my point ..............so I restate You people come here to show us how wrong we are because you have intelligence and logic on your side Which is really why your here no matter what you claim You maybe a nice person but your motives are the same as the others you want your ego boosted. By proving to yourself yeah all those christians are the same they wont listen to my intelligent arguments. The fact are very simple you listen to men think man has all the answersWe listen to God and think God has all the answers So the facts are you and I both have 50/50 % chance of being right The difference is if you are wrong it cost you your soul If Im wrong it costs me nothing except having to listen to people like you tell me Im wrong. And the morals you claim to have where do you think they came from the apes you think you evolved from ....... No they came from our inner self/soul/sprirt the one God gave us when he created us..... Morals do not come from evolving from animals they live by a different law of nature. That fact itself proves you are wrong in my opinion.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
We provide this space for people who interested in asking us questions to find out if they are interested in learning about God. Not the other way around. If Gods people are interested in athiests they can go to your sites.

Theophage

Oct 5, 2008
Christina, When I signed up for an account here, there was little box where you typed in a comment (can't remember what it was for) I typed in there what I meant to do here. When I got the confirming email, but before I was able to post, I jumped into the chat room and introduced myself there where I also said what my intentions were. Swamp Fox, Jordan, and Tomwebster were in there and helped me get started. They didn't seem to have a problem with what I intended to do.If you believe that my thread here is in violation of the rules or purpose of this place, then the staff here should get together and make a solid determination. I will accept whatever decision they give.I can understand if I really am in violation here, but If I'm not, I don't understand why you are hassling me.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Why do you think Im hasseling you because Im not falling for your game ?? Im simply giving you my opinion as to why I believe you are here. I never said you couldnt post

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Theophage;60273)
Thank you for the clarification, I shall continue then. Did you have another question?
Nope you have no knowledge Im interested in you've told what I needeed to know