Assurance of salvation:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
“Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, That I will make a new covenant With the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers In the day that I took them by the hand To bring them out of the land of Egypt; Which my covenant they brake, Although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, And write it in their hearts; And will be their God, And they shall be my people.” (Jeremiah 31:31–33) (KJV 1900)

Dave, this covenant is not the Salvation covenant that Jesus came to refresh through His death on the cross. The covenant that Jeremiah is referencing is the "Kingdom of Priests and a Holy nation and My possession among the Nations Covenant," which they broke at Mt Sinai while Moses was up on the mountain speaking face to face with God.

Your assumption is a common error when people connect the wrong covenant to Christ's purposes during His first Advent. This is evident in Matt 13:52 when it is unpacked correctly from the source texts used for our English translations.

Shalom

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Except that that is NOT what the Holy Spirit has said. That is your spin on the New Covenant. Which means that you really do not understand the finished work of Christ. Time to go back to square one.

Physician heal thyself first before you attempt to heal others. Now is your understanding the correct understanding to have?

D

Dave L

Dave, this covenant is not the Salvation covenant that Jesus came to refresh through His death on the cross. The covenant that Jeremiah is referencing is the "Kingdom of Priests and a Holy nation and My possession among the Nations Covenant," which they broke at Mt Sinai while Moses was up on the mountain speaking face to face with God.

Your assumption is a common error when people connect the wrong covenant to Christ's purposes during His first Advent. This is evident in Matt 13:52 when it is unpacked correctly from the source texts used for our English translations.

Shalom
Scripture does not support this. New Covenant replacing the Old = just that.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Indeed, the new covenant to Israel and Judah replaces the old covenant to Israel. But the new covenant is not in force yet.

Just as the church fills a gap between OT Israel and the MK Israel filled by the church, so does the covenant given by Christ at the Last Supper fill a gap between the old covenant and the new.

Reactions: Jay Ross
D

Dave L

Indeed, the new covenant to Israel and Judah replaces the old covenant to Israel. But the new covenant is not in force yet.

Just as the church fills a gap between OT Israel and the MK Israel filled by the church, so does the covenant given by Christ at the Last Supper fill a gap between the old covenant and the new.
“Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law [Old Covenant]; ye are fallen from grace.” (Galatians 5:4) (KJV 1900)

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

You have just expressed your opinion on this without presenting the evidence to support it.

I presented my opinion with an expansion on why I understood this to be so.

Now I have no problems with the new replacing the old if the correct covenant is identified first. Sadly, you have identified the wrong covenant.

D

Dave L

You have just expressed your opinion on this without presenting the evidence to support it.

I presented my opinion with an expansion on why I understood this to be so.
Jeremiah and Hebrews both say you are wrong. Plus Jesus who initiated the New Covenant with his blood.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
“Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law [Old Covenant]; ye are fallen from grace.” (Galatians 5:4) (KJV 1900)

Be careful in your pronouncements of error.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jeremiah and Hebrews both say you are wrong. Plus Jesus who initiated the New Covenant with his blood.

As I said when editing my above post: - "Now I have no problems with the new replacing the old if the correct covenant is identified first. Sadly, you have identified the wrong covenant."

As such you are promoting an error in theological understanding.

D

Dave L

As I said when editing my above post: - "Now I have no problems with the new replacing the old if the correct covenant is identified first. Sadly, you have identified the wrong covenant."

As such you are promoting an error in theological understanding.
Jeremiah and Hebrews clearly say the New Covenant replaced the Old, and Jesus verified it shedding his blood of the New Covenant.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Christians are justified by grace, not law.

Christ at the Last Supper established grace.

The new covenant is a return to law. But the church won't be here. We will be taken in the rapture.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
We are not under the new covenant in Hebrews to the houses of Israel and Judah.

We are under what I call the covenant of grace.

The KJV New Testament Greek Lexicon
Strong's Number:
1242 Browse Lexicon
Original Word
Word Origin
diaqhvkh from (1303)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Diatheke 2:106,157
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
dee-ath-ay'-kay Noun Feminine
Definition
  1. a disposition, arrangement, of any sort, which one wishes to be valid, the last disposition which one makes of his earthly possessions after his death, a testament or will
  2. a compact, a covenant, a testament
    1. God's covenant with Noah, etc.

testament
  1. Obs. a covenant, esp. one between God and man
  2. [T-]
    1. either of the two parts of the Christian Bible, the Old Testament and the New Testament
    2. Informal a copy of the New Testament
    1. a statement, act, etc. testifying to the fact, validity, or worth of something; testimonial: a testament to liberty
    2. an affirmation of beliefs or convictions; profession: a freethinker's testament
  3. Law a will: now rare except in the phrase last will and testament
There NO SUCH Covenant as the "Covenant of Grace".

There is only the NEW and EVERLASTING Covenant...
The one God intended from Genesis 3:15.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If the new covenant is not here as you say, you have no other choice than to judaize believers.

That is what you are claiming to justify your selfish worth on this forum. There is more than one covenant applicable to the Bible and you have discounted all the others except just this one or is it . . . . .

Are there other covenants which are particularly applicable to this disagreement.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
No he didn't, as confirmed at the Last Supper.

The OT and new covenant require animal sacrifices, an example.
The New Covenant did not replace the old...
But could you explain which animals are sacrificed in the New Covenant?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There NO SUCH Covenant as the "Covenant of Grace".

There is only the NEW and EVERLASTING Covenant...
The one God intended from Genesis 3:15.

Maybe. But I think that is just one of many covenantal understanding found in that particular chapter.