At what age are we to condemn people of other religions to hell?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is a divert thread from another one...about the walking in righteousness.

Now one poster said...

Children are not knowledgeable of good and evil and are automatically saved until the age of maturity (whom only God truly knows when that happens for each innocent child).

“Moreover your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, and your children, which in that day had no knowledge between good and evil, they shall go in thither, and unto them will I give it, and they shall possess it.
” (Deuteronomy 1:39)

“Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 18:10)

So then we don't seem to be able to condemn people of other religions...and we aren't to judge them anyway. But since people do like to judge..what age are we to condemn the children or adults...who belong to another religion?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are able to judge under this parameter:

“Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.” (John 7:24)

Christianity really isn’t a religion except in the eyes of the world. But The scriptures do say:

“…[God] now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.” (Acts 17:30-31)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are able to judge under this parameter:

“Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.” (John 7:24)

Christianity really isn’t a religion except in the eyes of the world. But The scriptures do say:

“…[God] now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.” (Acts 17:30-31)
Jesus came to call sinners to repentance...for their own good. And He came to also call the righteous to follow Him. Also for their own good. What He didn't do is call the righteous to repentance.

Luke 5:32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Now one poster said...

Children are not knowledgeable of good and evil and are automatically saved until the age of maturity (whom only God truly knows when that happens for each innocent child).

“Moreover your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, and your children, which in that day had no knowledge between good and evil, they shall go in thither, and unto them will I give it, and they shall possess it.” (Deuteronomy 1:39)

“Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 18:10)

So then we don't seem to be able to condemn people of other religions...and we aren't to judge them anyway. But since people do like to judge..what age are we to condemn the children or adults...who belong to another religion?
We don't condemn. That's God's job

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Now one poster said...

“Moreover your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, and your children, which in that day had no knowledge between good and evil, they shall go in thither, and unto them will I give it, and they shall possess it.” (Deuteronomy 1:39)

" But since people do like to judge..what age are we to condemn the children or adults...who belong to another religion?"

Never.

Chadrho

Sep 4, 2019
East Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But since people do like to judge..what age are we to condemn the children or adults...who belong to another religion?

This is an odd question. Divine justice and divine mercy are not two seperate things. As Origen put it, "He confers benefits justly, and punishes with kindness; since neither goodness without justice, nor justice without goodness, can display the dignity of the divine nature" (De Principiis II.V.3). And, since I, too, must face judgment, I see no basis upon which I can declare another's condemnation. The same one who gave his life for us is the same one who will judge all of us. I'll leave judgment to Christ.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is an odd question. Divine justice and divine mercy are not two seperate things. As Origen put it, "He confers benefits justly, and punishes with kindness; since neither goodness without justice, nor justice without goodness, can display the dignity of the divine nature" (De Principiis II.V.3). And, since I, too, must face judgment, I see no basis upon which I can declare another's condemnation. The same one who gave his life for us is the same one who will judge all of us. I'll leave judgment to Christ.
Thank you for your response. I fully agree with you. I invite you to comment on a video I posted in the creation of a thread I did on "how to walk in righteousness".

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Full disclosure: This thread is about helping people to wean themselves from a religious spirit they have adopted in order to fit into the popular religious culture.

Okay...so we have agreement on children of other religions not being consigned to the fires of hell by a merciful God.

But how old do you think these people were?

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Obviously Jesus is not speaking of His people...otherwise He would say YOUR brethren.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Okay...so we have agreement on children of other religions not being consigned to the fires of hell by a merciful God.
No one has agreed with this.
All posters here have said, 'It is not our job to condemn people, that is Gods responsibility.'

Face the brutal reality in every religion. Those who do not believe, do enough good deeds, meet what ever criteria is set are condemned.

This is true of Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism.

Christianity teaches that only those who believe, trust, live if/for Jesus will go to Hell.

Our role is to introduce Jesus to those around us, by how we live, our conversations and by our witnessing.

Reactions: Jim B

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ace the brutal reality in every religion. Those who do not believe, do enough good deeds, meet what ever criteria is set are condemned.
Whatever criteria? - LOL
"Those who do not believe, do enough good deeds, meet what ever criteria..." - Windmillcharge
How are such things measured? Seems you are not even clear on the qualifications.

- Believe what? (no consensus)
- Do enough good deeds? (how many?)
- Meet whatever criteria? (would be NICE to know!)
None of this is measurable in any meaningful sense.

Best to base our salvation on something we CAN measure.
The finished work of Christ on our behalf. "It is finished!"

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Now one poster said...

When they are 150 years old

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Whatever criteria? - LOL
"Those who do not believe, do enough good deeds, meet what ever criteria..." - Windmillcharge
How are such things measured? Seems you are not even clear on the qualifications.

And applied by whom? Religious self-interest groups? Is it "For God so hated the world that whoever didn't claim to believe in Him would perish for ever in hell??"

The superficiality of the modern churches has necessitated the casting away of mercy as it blindly condemns whatever is beyond the scope of its religious purview. Regardless, God is merciful and He decides on whom He will have mercy.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Now one poster said...

First we have to define the Biblical judgement we are warned about!

The apostles had no problem at all telling someone that without faith in Christ you will not enter into heaven. That is not judging, it's a Biblical fact!

The judging we are warned about is given in example through Job. When God allowed Job's life to be turned upside down, Job's 3 friends came and passed judgement on him, what we are warned not to do.

They questioned the motives of Job blaming him for what had happened, when they had no idea what God was doing. Job had done nothing wrong, but his 3 friends falsely judged him. This is the judgement we are warned about.

We don't have to tell others they are going to hell, we can simply give them the Gospel and let the Holy Spirit do the work. That's all that we can do!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And applied by whom? Religious self-interest groups? Is it "For God so hated the world that whoever didn't claim to believe in Him would perish for ever in hell??"

The superficiality of the modern churches has necessitated the casting away of mercy as it blindly condemns whatever is beyond the scope of its religious purview. Regardless, God is merciful and He decides on whom He will have mercy.
He has decided

John 1: 10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

1. We must receive him
2. We do it through faith. For by Grace we have been saved through faith
3. THEY are born of God.

While much of the church is off kilter and have distorted the gospel of Christ. You can't go condemn them and not condemn yourself.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The apostles had no problem at all telling someone that without faith in Christ you will not enter into heaven. That is not judging, it's a Biblical fact!

The judging we are warned about is given in example through Job. When God allowed Job's life to be turned upside down, Job's 3 friends came and passed judgement on him, what we are warned not to do.

They questioned the motives of Job blaming him for what had happened, when they had no idea what God was doing. Job had done nothing wrong, but his 3 friends falsely judged him. This is the judgement we are warned about.

We don't have to tell others they are going to hell, we can simply give them the Gospel and let the Holy Spirit do the work. That's all that we can do!
Romans 1 says they already know..

32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

Jesus drew people to him through love and serving them

Thats how we are to be.. Thats why he tells us we are lights. drawing people to God. and we should fear if our light is snuffed..

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I may gently interject...

What Christianity teaches is that Jesus Christ is Lord of the Kingdom of God. I hope there's not a man, woman, or child on this forum that would disagree with that statement.

As Lord of the Kingdom, the Son of Man has the sovereign authority to let into His kingdom whoever He wants, and I ain't gonna be the one who tries to tell Him, "Lord, you can't let that dude in!" Then the question becomes, "Who will Jesus let into His kingdom?"

Humbling indeed.

How this perspective impacts our responsibility as Jesus's people to present the Gospel to the world (and also, what the Gospel is) is a different discussion.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Of course. To enter into fellowship with God we go through Christ. But this is so often mixed up with God's mercy on judgment day for salvation among the nations. I don't think people really see the difference between the Bride and the guests. I suggest for people to GO to a wedding...and then PRETEND they are the ones getting married....and watch what happens.

We are to call the wicked to repentance...and the righteous into fellowship with God.

We have a ministry (IF we are actually in Christ) of reconciliation. The wicked to repentance through a calling to be guests...and the righteous into intimacy with God...to leave all behind and be a disciple with becoming the Bride in view. IOW the high calling.

Reactions: faithfulness

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Whatever criteria? - LOL
I

Please re read what I wrote.
The context was of what other religions taught.

Reactions: St. SteVen