Atheist objections to evidence for God's existence

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No i don't say this. I am saying that the the evidence is not sufficient for belief.

I don't need to. Just because I don't know how the universe began or why it is understandable is not evidence for a god. It simply means I don't know.

Then that evidence is insufficient as I said above.
The evidence that he was resurrected is insufficient as well.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

You say the evidence is insufficient.
Please pick an example and show how the evidence is insufficient.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
You say the evidence is insufficient.
Please pick an example and show how the evidence is insufficient.

How about the evidence that a god exists, not a specific god but a god in general. What I have received here are these evidences:

1. ScottA says that he is evidence. (Not quite sure how but he has claimed this numerous times)
2. Many people have said that creation is evidence for a god. Just look around. Science has better explanations for how our world works and why where the bible has almost none.
3. Ontological arguments.
4. Cosmological arguments.
5. The whole designer arguments.
6. Laws of Logic are evidence of god.
7. Fine tuning arguments.

Pick one if you wish and I will explain in more detail why I believe it is insufficient or if you have any ones I have not listed we can discuss them.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Vince,

How do you respond to this evidence?

18 But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth by their wickedness. 19 They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them. 20 For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.

21 Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. 22 Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools. 23 And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worshiped idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles (Romans 1:18-23 NLT).​

There is further evidence:

The heavens proclaim the glory of God.
The skies display his craftsmanship.
2 Day after day they continue to speak;
night after night they make him known.
3 They speak without a sound or word;
their voice is never heard.
4 Yet their message has gone throughout the earth,
and their words to all the world.
God has made a home in the heavens for the sun.
5 It bursts forth like a radiant bridegroom after his wedding.
It rejoices like a great athlete eager to run the race.
6 The sun rises at one end of the heavens
and follows its course to the other end.
Nothing can hide from its heat (Psalm 19:1-6 NLT).
What do you say to this evidence?

Oz

Reactions: Nancy

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Vince,

How do you respond to this evidence?

18 But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth by their wickedness. 19 They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them. 20 For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.

21 Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. 22 Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools. 23 And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worshiped idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles (Romans 1:18-23 NLT).​

There is further evidence:

The heavens proclaim the glory of God.
The skies display his craftsmanship.
2 Day after day they continue to speak;
night after night they make him known.
3 They speak without a sound or word;
their voice is never heard.
4 Yet their message has gone throughout the earth,
and their words to all the world.
God has made a home in the heavens for the sun.
5 It bursts forth like a radiant bridegroom after his wedding.
It rejoices like a great athlete eager to run the race.
6 The sun rises at one end of the heavens
and follows its course to the other end.
Nothing can hide from its heat (Psalm 19:1-6 NLT).
What do you say to this evidence?

Oz
This presupposes that god had a hand in writing these verses. You would need to step back and give evidence that god had a part in writing the bible and these verses. I don't see nature as evidence for a god. Nature is amazing and beautiful at times with what we know about the universe and I am sure we will find out more amazing things in the future. I don't see why creation would lead us to a god rather than any other unknown explanation.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't see why creation would lead us to a god rather than any other unknown explanation.
Because the theory of spontaneous generation of living creatures arising from nonliving matter has been proven wrong, since the 1600 - 1800s.

Reactions: DNB and Nancy

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Because the theory of spontaneous generation of living creatures arising from nonliving matter has been proven wrong, since the 1600 - 1800s.
First thing, evolution is not a theory of origins it says nothing about how life began only how it changed over time.

Second, it does not matter whether evolution is true of false, if it is proved false tomorrow that would not mean a god made us. It would mean that we don't know. Just like we don't know how life began.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Vince,
No generic god will do. Only THE God has power to create & sustain the universe, see Heb 1:3.

Oz
Why does the universe need a creator to sustain it? Physics does a good job.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First thing, evolution is not a theory of origins it says nothing about how life began only how it changed over time.

Second, it does not matter whether evolution is true of false, if it is proved false tomorrow that would not mean a god made us. It would mean that we don't know. Just like we don't know how life began.
No, that is wrong.

It is the theory of spontaneous generation being proved wrong, that proves there is a God. To say otherwise, would mean a theory or belief of some sort of magic.

But none of that means we don't know. Many of us know for certain. It is only some that don't know.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why does the universe need a creator to sustain it? Physics does a good job.

Well, people had to figure out and learn about physics. Physics has always been there, just like what is beyond the little part of our universe, just like certain plants have medicinal properties, just like well...I could just go on and on here, lol...I will spare you. Somebody created all these things, these wonders. These things have been there all along, with all of creation, man did not just "know" all this stuff...they "discovered" it. And yes, man does evolve in many ways, especially in technology. The Bible itself tells us in Daniel 12:4 , that "knowledge" shall increase in the end days. Most Christians that I know would include "technology" in this increasing "knowledge".
I have no proof or acceptable evidence to give you. I just know that you cannot get something from nothing and, the something had an origin...how could it not have been intelligent design?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Where is this demonstrated?

Vince,

I demonstrate it through the processes historians & archaeologists use.

I examine the strength of MSS evidence, consistency of internal evidence & verification through external sources.

However, if your spirit is not open to God's internal work in you, all the evidence in the world will fall flat.
Oz

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think, at least partially, it can be the question of "why does God allow horrible things to happen to people if He is Love. Some think they have to "clean up their act" first...(when IMHO, it is usually the opposite)
Some are angry, some are just plain blind to His truth. And the last, I believe is who Jesus was referring to in Luke 16:31
"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead."
Just my nickle :)
true dat

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really?

''Now faith is the reality [or assurance] of what is hoped for, the proof [or conviction] of what is not seen' (Heb 11:1).

Actually, OS, I agree with @Episkopos there. Faith comes first. Proof/evidence is granted after faith is entrusted because people are making themselves responsible unto God, and it is not something that is to be taken lightly. Those who know He is God and reject Him suffer stricter judgment than those who do not.

About your translation, "reality" and "proof" are both a little off IMO, LoL.

Blessings, brother, and great to see you at CB again.

Vince

Feb 20, 2019
Ft Worth
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
No, that is wrong.

It is the theory of spontaneous generation being proved wrong, that proves there is a God. To say otherwise, would mean a theory or belief of some sort of magic.

But none of that means we don't know. Many of us know for certain. It is only some that don't know.
It is a logical fallacy to claim that because you don't know another reason for how life began that there is not one, that it must be a god that did it.