Attachment to the Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think our ultimate goal is to develop an "attachment" to the Lord. That is, we need to get to know him, to walk with him, through constant, unceasing prayer (1 Thessalonians 5:17).

The Bible helps us do that. I fear, though, some become attached to the Bible and don't get to know the Lord.

Reactions: amadeus

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think our ultimate goal is to develop an "attachment" to the Lord. That is, we need to get to know him, to walk with him, through constant, unceasing prayer (1 Thessalonians 5:17).

The Bible helps us do that. I fear, though, some become attached to the Bible and don't get to know the Lord.
I've very attached to my Bible. And that's because God gave it to me as part of the way I can know Him better, and can understand this life and world better.

I'm attached to my Bible because it affirms for me constantly what is true and what is error, giving me an objective showing of truth.

Isaiah 55:10-11 KJV
10) For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
11) So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

I posted this passage in the other thread, but I think it fits here also.

Much love!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've very attached to my Bible. And that's because God gave it to me as part of the way I can know Him better, and can understand this life and world better.

I'm attached to my Bible because it affirms for me constantly what is true and what is error, giving me an objective showing of truth.

Isaiah 55:10-11 KJV
10) For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
11) So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

I posted this passage in the other thread, but I think it fits here also.

Much love!
:Zek:
I stand with you against the antagonizers of the believers of his word. These ppl stand in the poor light they have placed themselves in.

Matthew 24:35. “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

John 15:7
If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Hebrews 4:12 -
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 -
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Matthew 4:4 -
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Ephesians 6:17 -
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

John 17:17
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

John 6:63 -
It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

I can post a multitude of the scriptures. How do you know to pray and unto whom to pray? I would ask them just how do you think any would know God except through his word?

I put these ppl right up there with the deniers of Christ deity; they CAN NOT KNOW GOD WITHOUT HIS WORD.

To those that deny the need of his word as the efficacy of the gift of God ,YOUR SALVATION; it is easy to see which flock you belong to.

These are why I love the ignore option!

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I put these ppl right up there with the deniers of Christ deity; they CAN NOT KNOW GOD WITHOUT HIS WORD.
Amen! And AMEN!!:

Handling The Word Of Life

And, Hallelujah! And Praise The Holy Name Of The LORD!!!

• Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 1:1-5​

The Word Became Flesh​

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and """the Word is God""". 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does that happen? The Bible is God's word--Him speaking to us. If someone were attached to the Bible, I would think that they are intent about learning all there is to know about the Lord. It's what He says--how would you know Him if you didn't read what He says?
When folk get letters from loved ones, they are read thoroughly, people keep those letters and read them again and again. Sometimes that is all we have.
He gave us the Bible--we are told to search it .
I cannot imagine being too attached.

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You make an excellent point...

Your point is vividly shown... by the post that follow....

I have a copy of the Bible...

If you do not have this... Book pictured below or the UBS 4th edition of the Greek text. Then you only have a translation of the Bible...not the bible!!!

Now.... the Novum Testamentum Graece 27th edition and the UBS 4th edition both have the same Greek Text... they differ in the Critical Apparatus.

What your fellow poster use/read ... like me is a translations of the Greek text... and they differ...

For example... You can see from my English Hexapla... Translations do not read the same...and it matters... Look at John 1..
The text translated from the Latin Vulgate read "Him".... The translations from the Greek read "It"

It was the 1611 translation that altered the Greek translation for Good... The Church stepped it to make it so.... It's all recorded in History

It's a Fact... ALL Translations from the Greek text before the 1611 version ALL read "It" not "Him" These were men who wanted to give the word of God to the world... not a political Church whom sanctioned a Bible to fit their needs...

Bob is correct.... Don't become attached to the Bible (i.e. Your translation) and don't get to know the Lord...

Joh 5:39 "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me;

Attachments

• 20231229_223037.jpg
    20231229_223037.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20231229_223522.jpg
    20231229_223522.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 2

LearningToLetGo

Jun 13, 2022
Western Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Very few people will understand you, Bob.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does that happen? The Bible is God's word--Him speaking to us. If someone were attached to the Bible, I would think that they are intent about learning all there is to know about the Lord. It's what He says--how would you know Him if you didn't read what He says?
When folk get letters from loved ones, they are read thoroughly, people keep those letters and read them again and again. Sometimes that is all we have.
He gave us the Bible--we are told to search it .
I cannot imagine being too attached.
Like I say, we want to develop a relationship with the Lord through prayer. You can't do that with the Bible.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I say, we want to develop a relationship with the Lord through prayer. You can't do that with the Bible.
Interesting, I met a neighbor that did that very thing - only praying. So, without A Bible, how is that
one going to be "Approved Unto God," disobeying?:

Study to Be APPROVED Open Bible.png

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting, I met a neighbor that did that very thing - only praying. So, without A Bible, how is that
one going to be "Approved Unto God," disobeying?:

I would see the Bible as a tool the Lord uses to teach us what he wants us to know. Of course, he is quite capable of getting the job done without the Bible.

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I disagree; you can develop a relationship with God through His word. The word of God doesn't help us to have a relationship with Him, it is the way to know God. "If one turns away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer is an abomination." Proverbs 28:9 Prayer is important but it can never replace His word as a way to develop a relationship with Him.

Last edited:

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you can develop a relationship with God through His word.
Precious friend, this relationship 'word' may be problematic, since God Already Established That
Eternal Relationship, 'adopting' the repentant believer, as a new-born In Christ. Then, such a one
is 'called':

"God is faithful, by Whom ye were called unto the​
fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord." (1Co 1:9)​

Many confuse the two: relationship and fellowship...

More Biblical examination here:

God's Simple Will

Amen.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I came to realise that a few years ago; that for some their knowledge of the bible is more important to them than their knowledge of Christ.

I was in hospital at the time and without my bible, but it felt like a retreat and that I was supposed to be there and I just prayed for everybody all the time.