Attributes of God and Related Issues 1

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The attributes of God and statements about Jesus Christ in the NT
The communicable attributes of God are those which man can possess to a finite degree, love, justice, etc. The incommuicable attributes are those only God Almighty can possess. Some incommunicable attributes of Almighty God are asserted of Jesus Christ, as follow -

Overall fullness of the Almighty God -
"For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell," (Col 1:19 NRSV) *This has to include the incommunicable attributes

Eternality, Omnipotence and Immutability, all in one verse
“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty." (Rev 1:8 NRSV) *This is Jesus Christ, "He is coming" in v7; here "who is to come", and called "the Son of Man" in vs12-13.

Eternal -
"‘To the angel of the church at Laodicea write: ‘“These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the source of God’s creation:" (Rev 3:14 REB)
"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created, things visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or powers—all things have been created through him and for him. He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together." (Col 1:15-17 NRSV)

Omnipresent -
"For where two or three come together in my name, I am there with them.” (Matt 18:20 GNB92)

Omnipotent -
"He will change our weak mortal bodies and make them like his own glorious body, using that power by which he is able to bring all things under his rule." (Phil 3:21 GNB92)

Immutable -
"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." (Heb 13:8 NRSV)
see
"They will perish, but you endure; they will all wear out like a garment. You change them like clothing, and they pass away;" (Ps 102:26 NRSV)
compared to
"like a cloak you will roll them up, and like clothing they will be changed. But you are the same, and your years will never end.” (Heb 1:12 NRSV) * This is speaking of the Son, v8ff

Thinking plain common language, as a realist; based on the attributes, I then observe the WILL of God

GOD'S WILL OF DECREE (That which God has determined will take place, predestination)

His will of decree includes, and is over ALL things
"All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, and he does what he wills with the host of heaven and the inhabitants of the earth. There is no one who can stay his hand or say to him, 'What are you doing?'” (Dan 4:35 NRSV)
"In Christ we have also obtained an inheritance, having been destined according to the purpose of him who accomplishes all things according to his counsel and will," (Eph 1:11 NRSV)
"declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My purpose shall stand, and I will fulfill my intention,'” (Isa 46:10 NRSV)
"For only a penny you can buy two sparrows, yet not one sparrow falls to the ground without your Father's consent. As for you, even the hairs of your head have all been counted." (Matt 10:29-30 GNB92) * God's will of decree includes even the smallest matters
"for it is God who is at work in you, enabling you both to will and to work for his good pleasure." (Phil 2:13 NRSV) *Even our good will and power to work are in God's decree
"The LORD controls the mind of a king as easily as he directs the course of a stream." (Prov 21:1 GNB92)

God's will of decree includes, and is over acts of sin as well
"Even though you intended to do harm to me, God intended it for good, in order to preserve a numerous people, as he is doing today." (Gen 50:20 NRSV)
"For the Son of Man is going as it has been determined, but woe to that one by whom he is betrayed!” (Luke 22:22 NRSV)
"this man, handed over to you according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of those outside the law." (Acts 2:23 NRSV)
"For in this city, in fact, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place." (Acts 4:27-28 NRSV) *The most infamous and awful sin in all of history was "predestined" by God! "foreordained" in the REB, "determined before" in the KJV

The word of God about God's Will continues on the next post