"Baptism now saveth you" (Jn 3)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well, as I said I'm going away for a few days. When I come back perhaps someone will have explained why "Baptism saves you now" doesn't mean Baptism saves you now.

Until then I'll leave you with another thought, well several.

John wrote Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. (Jn 3:5)

What did John mean by that.?
Polycarp, Bishop of Smryna was martyred in 155 and was born about 70AD. When he was young he was a disciple of John. One of Polycap’s disciples was Irenaeus of Lyon who was born and brought up in Smryna. He was born about 130. By the year 177 he was a priest in Lyon in France (Gaul) and was made bishop. He wrote many works defending the faith, particularly against the Gnostics. Against Heresies is in five volumes. He also wrote Proof [or demonstrations] of the Apostolic Preaching. We have fragments of other writing that are known only from quotations by other writers.

So here we have someone who was well versed in the teachings from Christianity and only a second generation from John.

He wrote:
" 'And dipped himself,' says [the Scripture], 'seven times in Jordan.' It was not for nothing that Naaman of old, when suffering from leprosy, was purified upon his being baptized, but it served as an indication to us. For as we are lepers in sin, we are made clean, by means of the sacred water and the invocation of the Lord, from our old transgressions; being spiritually regenerated as new-born babes, even as the Lord has declared: 'Except a man be born again through water and the Spirit, he shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.'" Irenaeus, Fragment, 34 (A.D. 190).

So Irenaeus, only two generations from John confirms the teaching that John 3:5 is about baptism and in the waters of baptism we are regenerated.

Justin Martyr was another 2nd century apologist. [SIZE=11pt]His main works are two “Apologies” and Dialogue with Trypho (A Jew). He wrote:[/SIZE]

"As many as are persuaded and believe that what we teach and say is true, and undertake to be able to live accordingly, are instructed to pray and to entreat God with fasting, for the remission of their sins that are past, we praying and fasting with them. Then they are brought by us where there is water, and are regenerated in the same manner in which we were ourselves regenerated. For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Saviour Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water. For Christ also said, “Except ye be born again, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.” …..And for this [rite] we have learned from the apostles (Justin Martyr First Apology 61 [A.D. 151]).

Of course Bible believers who don’t believe what the Bible clearly says will not believe what the early Church taught either.

In the quote from Irenaeus he also indicates that the healing of Naaman was a prefiguring of baptism and is an interesting parallel. The story is told in 2Kg 5.

Naaman was a commander on the army of the king of Syria, an important man. He has leprosy. A Hebrew slave girl of his wife say if he goes to the prophet in Samaria he will be cured. He goes to Elisha and expects Elisha to present himself before him, invoke God and wave his hand over the leprosy. But Elisha just sent a message to go and wash himself 7 times in the river Jordan.

Naaman was angry and went off saying “Are not the rivers of Damascus, the Abana and the Pharpar, better than all the waters of Israel? Could I not wash in them and be cleansed?” (vs 12).
But his servants persuaded him to do what Elisha said “if the prophet had told you to do something extraordinary, would you not have done it? All the more now, since he said to you, ‘Wash and be clean,’ should you do as he said.” (vs 13)
So Naaman went and washed himself in the Jordan 7 times and was cured (vs 14)

Note:
Naaman needed to do two things.
1. Have faith
2. Be obedient

We can say that Naaman had some level of faith because he went to Elisha. However he didn’t have enough to follow a simple command. He thought he knew better. “Are not the rivers of Damascus, the Abana and the Pharpar, better than all the waters of Israel? Could I not wash in them and be cleansed?” So he was disobedient as well.

However he was persuaded to have faith and to obey and was cleansed.

Similarly with us. What is required is faith and obedience. And just as with Naaman, it is not the water itself that saves us. He was right - the rivers of Damascus, the Abana and the Pharpar were just as good as the rivers of Israel. It was God who healed him when he did what he was told. In the same way it’s not the water in baptism that saves us, but God when we do what we are told.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:
Well, as I said I'm going away for a few days. When I come back perhaps someone will have explained why "Baptism saves you now" doesn't mean Baptism saves you now.

Until then I'll leave you with another thought, well several.

John wrote Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. (Jn 3:5)

What did John mean by that.?
Polycarp, Bishop of Smryna was martyred in 155 and was born about 70AD. When he was young he was a disciple of John. One of Polycap’s disciples was Irenaeus of Lyon who was born and brought up in Smryna. He was born about 130. By the year 177 he was a priest in Lyon in France (Gaul) and was made bishop. He wrote many works defending the faith, particularly against the Gnostics. Against Heresies is in five volumes. He also wrote Proof [or demonstrations] of the Apostolic Preaching. We have fragments of other writing that are known only from quotations by other writers.

So here we have someone who was well versed in the teachings from Christianity and only a second generation from John.

He wrote:
" 'And dipped himself,' says [the Scripture], 'seven times in Jordan.' It was not for nothing that Naaman of old, when suffering from leprosy, was purified upon his being baptized, but it served as an indication to us. For as we are lepers in sin, we are made clean, by means of the sacred water and the invocation of the Lord, from our old transgressions; being spiritually regenerated as new-born babes, even as the Lord has declared: 'Except a man be born again through water and the Spirit, he shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.'" Irenaeus, Fragment, 34 (A.D. 190).

So Irenaeus, only two generations from John confirms the teaching that John 3:5 is about baptism and in the waters of baptism we are regenerated.

Justin Martyr was another 2nd century apologist. [SIZE=11pt]His main works are two “Apologies” and Dialogue with Trypho (A Jew). He wrote:[/SIZE]

"As many as are persuaded and believe that what we teach and say is true, and undertake to be able to live accordingly, are instructed to pray and to entreat God with fasting, for the remission of their sins that are past, we praying and fasting with them. Then they are brought by us where there is water, and are regenerated in the same manner in which we were ourselves regenerated. For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Saviour Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water. For Christ also said, “Except ye be born again, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.” …..And for this [rite] we have learned from the apostles (Justin Martyr First Apology 61 [A.D. 151]).

Of course Bible believers who don’t believe what the Bible clearly says will not believe what the early Church taught either.

In the quote from Irenaeus he also indicates that the healing of Naaman was a prefiguring of baptism and is an interesting parallel. The story is told in 2Kg 5.

Naaman was a commander on the army of the king of Syria, an important man. He has leprosy. A Hebrew slave girl of his wife say if he goes to the prophet in Samaria he will be cured. He goes to Elisha and expects Elisha to present himself before him, invoke God and wave his hand over the leprosy. But Elisha just sent a message to go and wash himself 7 times in the river Jordan.

Naaman was angry and went off saying “Are not the rivers of Damascus, the Abana and the Pharpar, better than all the waters of Israel? Could I not wash in them and be cleansed?” (vs 12).
But his servants persuaded him to do what Elisha said “if the prophet had told you to do something extraordinary, would you not have done it? All the more now, since he said to you, ‘Wash and be clean,’ should you do as he said.” (vs 13)
So Naaman went and washed himself in the Jordan 7 times and was cured (vs 14)

Note:
Naaman needed to do two things.
1. Have faith
2. Be obedient

We can say that Naaman had some level of faith because he went to Elisha. However he didn’t have enough to follow a simple command. He thought he knew better. “Are not the rivers of Damascus, the Abana and the Pharpar, better than all the waters of Israel? Could I not wash in them and be cleansed?” So he was disobedient as well.

However he was persuaded to have faith and to obey and was cleansed.

Similarly with us. What is required is faith and obedience. And just as with Naaman, it is not the water itself that saves us. He was right - the rivers of Damascus, the Abana and the Pharpar were just as good as the rivers of Israel. It was God who healed him when he did what he was told. In the same way it’s not the water in baptism that saves us, but God when we do what we are told.
Since you claim that what was said to the Jews under law was said to the Gentiles too, then tell me, have you sold all you have and given it to the poor and are now following Jesus? Since you say His commandments to the Jews are for us to follow surely this was a commandment based on love for your neighbor. According to scripture the 12 sold all they had and used it for God's purpose.

According to my Bible faith in Jesus is what saves people in this age of grace. Faith in what Jesus did and not faith in our water baptisms. Many in the churches today have fallen for the gospel that our work of water baptism is what saves a person.

According to my Bible faith in God is what saves people in this age of grace. It is a slap in God's eye to think that what you do in a water baptism save you instead of what Jesus did on the cross.

I was watching the movie "FURY" on TV and when one asked another if they were saved his answer was "I have been baptized." Didn't say anything about faith in Jesus.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
H. Richard said:
Since you claim that what was said to the Jews under law was said to the Gentiles too, then tell me, have you sold all you have and given it to the poor and are now following Jesus? Since you say His commandments to the Jews are for us to follow surely this was a commandment based on love for your neighbor. According to scripture the 12 sold all they had and used it for God's purpose.

According to my Bible faith in Jesus is what saves people in this age of grace. Faith in what Jesus did and not faith in our water baptisms. Many in the churches today have fallen for the gospel that our work of water baptism is what saves a person.

According to my Bible faith in God is what saves people in this age of grace. It is a slap in God's eye to think that what you do in a water baptism save you instead of what Jesus did on the cross.

I was watching the movie "FURY" on TV and when one asked another if they were saved his answer was "I have been baptized." Didn't say anything about faith in Jesus.
I see you decided not to think about it, or even read it properly. Never mind. Possibly others will though I don't hold out much hope.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Mungo said:
Do you know the old saying, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink"?

I'm pretty sure I've explained it very well on this thread that the Bible does not say "baptism now saves you".
Enjoy your vacation, but when you get back, you may want to consider actually reading my responses instead of just ignoring them.

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
StanJ said:
Do you know the old saying, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink"?

I'm pretty sure I've explained it very well on this thread that the Bible does not say "baptism now saves you".
Enjoy your vacation, but when you get back, you may want to consider actually reading my responses instead of just ignoring them.
You need to read it (baptism now saves you) and John 3:5-6 in context by including verses 3 and4 and stop cherry-picking verses. What you are doing is called eisegesis, and is not the correct way of studying the Bible.

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

So when Jesus said he must be born again and Nicodemus said he can't enter his mothers womb a 2nd time Jesus said Nicodemus your an idiot. Of course you can't re-enter your mothers womb. That's not what I am saying. I am saying you must be born of water (baptized) and as we know from scripture when you are baptized you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Nicodemus couldn't understand what Jesus was saying so it's no surprise that you, StanJ, don't understand either. A lot of people get this verse wrong especially when they read it out of context.

Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

So I guess the Holy Spirit is giving us a gift for a SYMBOLIC baptism? It forgives sins but it is SYMBOLIC? It saves us but it is SYMOBLIC? We are told to be baptized, not suggested to be baptized and Jesus was baptized before he began his ministry which shows how important it is AND that it is not a symbol. This fact of faith has been preached and practiced for 2000 years and the symbolic aspect of baptism has been popular since the Reformation.

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

John's baptism didn't baptize in Jesus' name. The baptism of Jesus is the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
ScaliaFan said:
YEs, baptism saves..
it is right there in Jn 3:3
Jesus himself was baptized w/ water by John the Baptist
and to those who dont believe in babies being baptized, Acts says that whole households were baptized when one member thereof was baptized..
obviously whole households = those w/ children
then there is this, how Jesus said not to hinder the children from coming to him
Don't forget Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

And be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:
I see you decided not to think about it, or even read it properly. Never mind. Possibly others will though I don't hold out much hope.
I have studied a lot about water baptism. It is a fact that I wrote a study on it and posted it on this forum. But of course it was not meant for you because you will not hear it.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
davidnelson said:

John's baptism didn't baptize in Jesus' name. The baptism of Jesus is the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
Baptism in Jesus name is with water.

Do you realise that in scripture when you see the word baptism it is always with water.

The phrase "Baptism with the Holy Spirit" was invented by Pentecostals at the beginning of the 20th century. I know of no use of the phrase in the writings of the early fathers of the Church.

Yes, in Acts1:4-5 - immediately before |Jesus ascends - he says to the apostles
“And while staying with them he charged them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, "you heard from me, for John baptized with water, but
before many days you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit."

The same writes says in Luke 24:49
“And behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you; but stay in the city, until you are clothed with power from on high."

It’s the same occasion but Luke uses two different metaphors:
One metaphor is “being clothed with power”
The other metaphor is being “baptised with the Holy Spirit”.

Jesus said in Acts 1:8 “you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you”. It’s about receiving power (clothed with power) for witnessing the gospel. Baptism (with water) is for being justified and received into the New Covenant.

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
Mungo said:
Baptism in Jesus name is with water.

Do you realise that in scripture when you see the word baptism it is always with water.

The phrase "Baptism with the Holy Spirit" was invented by Pentecostals at the beginning of the 20th century. I know of no use of the phrase in the writings of the early fathers of the Church.

Yes, in Acts1:4-5 - immediately before |Jesus ascends - he says to the apostles
“And while staying with them he charged them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, "you heard from me, for John baptized with water, but
before many days you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit."

The same writes says in Luke 24:49
“And behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you; but stay in the city, until you are clothed with power from on high."

It’s the same occasion but Luke uses two different metaphors:
One metaphor is “being clothed with power”
The other metaphor is being “baptised with the Holy Spirit”.

Jesus said in Acts 1:8 “you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you”. It’s about receiving power (clothed with power) for witnessing the gospel. Baptism (with water) is for being justified and received into the New Covenant.
Mungo,

I appreciate your efforts to give the truth to these men who twist scripture to their own destruction. What you must realize is that they have made scripture about them and not about Him. Scripture is what they FEEL like it says to them. "Baptism now saves you" doesn't mean "Baptism now saves you" because that is what the Holy Spirit told them. They have the Holy Spirit....You and I and the RCC don't. All we can do is pray for them.

Respectfully....Tom

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
tom55 said:
Mungo,

I appreciate your efforts to give the truth to these men who twist scripture to their own destruction. What you must realize is that they have made scripture about them and not about Him. Scripture is what they FEEL like it says to them. "Baptism now saves you" doesn't mean "Baptism now saves you" because that is what the Holy Spirit told them. They have the Holy Spirit....You and I and the RCC don't. All we can do is pray for them.

Respectfully....Tom
I so glad you admit you don't have the Holy Spirit. Perhaps, you can do a little prayer to God on your own and ask for it!

Respectfully... David

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
davidnelson said:
I so glad you admit you don't have the Holy Spirit. Perhaps, you can do a little prayer to God on your own and ask for it!

Respectfully... David
I am so glad you did not deny you were twisting scripture.

I am sure you know this already but my point is you and others THINK you have the holy spirit guiding you to the truth. However, whenever Mungo, Tom55, the greatest Christian theologians in history or the RCC say they have the holy spirit guiding them to the truth, and it is opposite of what you believe, that makes our holy spirit wrong and our holy spirit is misguiding us. Only you have the true holy spirit?