"Baptism now saveth you" (Jn 3)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
YEs, baptism saves..

it is right there in Jn 3:3

Jesus himself was baptized w/ water by John the Baptist

and to those who dont believe in babies being baptized, Acts says that whole households were baptized when one member thereof was baptized..

obviously whole households = those w/ children

then there is this, how Jesus said not to hinder the children from coming to him

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
H. Richard already refuted this and no... Nothing in John 3:3 about water baptism.

But I encourage catholics to be baptized in water. After all, its one of the few things they do that actually is in the Bible.

It isn't necessary, but is ok to do.

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
StanJ said:
The OP seems to have a problem properly or accurately quoting the Bible.
I agree.

John 3:3 refer to being born-again, not water baptism. To be born-again requires the holy spirit. You get the holy spirit when you turn to Jesus. Only Jesus saves you!

The man is the head of the household. When the head is baptized, so does the entire household.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
1Pet 3:21

The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (KJV)

Baptism, which corresponds to this now saves you (RSV)

baptism, which this prefigured, now saves you (NRSV)

This prefigured baptism, which saves you now.(NAB)

And this water symbolises baptism that now saves you (NIV)

also to which an antitype doth now save us—baptism (YLT)

Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you (HCSB)

which also after a true likeness doth now save you, even baptism (ASV)

Baptism, which is like that water, now saves you (GWT)

There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (NKJV)

That was a type of the baptism that now saves you (CCB)

Baptism, which is symbolized by that water, now saves you also (ISVNT)

Which bit says baptism doesn't save you?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
davidnelson said:
I agree.

John 3:3 refer to being born-again, not water baptism. To be born-again requires the holy spirit. You get the holy spirit when you turn to Jesus. Only Jesus saves you!

The man is the head of the household. When the head is baptized, so does the entire household.
We are born again in water baptism. That is when Jesus saves us. That is when we receive the Holy Spirit.

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
Why not let water baptism save you*. You clearly don't need Jesus.

1 Peter 3:21-22
Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers having been subjected to him.

Corresponds to what? Noah and the ark. At least quote the bible correctly. And please, do not define something by cutting the verses here and there.

Not as removal of dirt from body, not as a removal of sins.
Water baptism is a sign of repentance, hence as an appeal to God for a good conscience.
Sins have no place in heaven. You are not saved without Jesus as the atonement for sins.

*And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.” - Acts 19:4

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
davidnelson said:
1 Peter 3:21-22
Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers having been subjected to him.

Corresponds to what? Noah and the ark. At least quote the bible correctly. And please, do not define something by cutting the verses here and there.

Not as removal of dirt from body, not as a removal of sins.
Water baptism is a sign of repentance, hence as an appeal to God for a good conscience.
Sins have no place in heaven. You are not saved without Jesus as the atonement for sins.

*And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.” - Acts 19:4
Firstly I didn't cut verses from here and there. I quoted the same section from many different translations to show how they all clearly say that baptism saves us. And my questions still stands: Which bit says baptism doesn't save you?

No amount of sidestepping can get you round that. It's very clearly stated that baptism saves us now..

I explained how this relates to Noah in another thread. I repeat it here:

The Bible tells us how those in the Ark were saved by the water. Immediately before God tells Noah to build the Ark he explains what he is doing:
“In the eyes of God the earth was corrupt and full of lawlessness. When God saw how corrupt the earth had become, since all mortals led depraved lives on earth, he said to Noah: “I have decided to put an end to all mortals on earth; the earth is full of lawlessness because of them. So I will destroy them and all life on earth.” (Gen 6:11-13). It’s not about physical saving but the saving of souls. God saved those in the ark from corruption and lawlessness – from spiritual filth.

It’s the same in baptism as 1Pet 3:21 goes on to say:
“Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.”

You see when Jesus saves us in baptism we are spiritually cleansed and can have a clear conscience.

And Ti 3:5 says
“..he saved us, not because of any works of righteousness that we had done, but according to his mercy, through the water of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.” (Titus 3:5)

That is why John 3:5 says:
Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.”

You see water and spiritbath of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
davidnelson said:
Why not let water baptism save you*. You clearly don't need Jesus.
As I stated - We are born again in water baptism. That is when Jesus saves us. That is when we receive the Holy Spirit.

Of course we are not saved without Jesus as the atonement for sins. I have never claimed otherwise.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Mungo said:
1Pet 3:21

The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (KJV)

Baptism, which corresponds to this now saves you (RSV)

baptism, which this prefigured, now saves you (NRSV)

This prefigured baptism, which saves you now.(NAB)

And this water symbolises baptism that now saves you (NIV)

also to which an antitype doth now save us—baptism (YLT)

Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you (HCSB)

which also after a true likeness doth now save you, even baptism (ASV)

Baptism, which is like that water, now saves you (GWT)

There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (NKJV)

That was a type of the baptism that now saves you (CCB)

Baptism, which is symbolized by that water, now saves you also (ISVNT)

Which bit says baptism doesn't save you?
Cherry picking one Bible verse out of context is not proper hermeneutical exegesis. Read it in context Mungo.

after they were disobedient long ago when God patiently waited in the days of Noah as an ark was being constructed. In the ark a few, that is eight souls, were delivered through water. And this prefigured baptism, which now saves you—not the washing off of physical dirt but the pledge of a good conscience to God—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who went into heaven and is at the right hand of God with angels and authorities and powers subject to him.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
StanJ said:
Cherry picking one Bible verse out of context is not proper hermeneutical exegesis. Read it in context Mungo.

after they were disobedient long ago when God patiently waited in the days of Noah as an ark was being constructed. In the ark a few, that is eight souls, were delivered through water. And this prefigured baptism, which now saves you—not the washing off of physical dirt but the pledge of a good conscience to God—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who went into heaven and is at the right hand of God with angels and authorities and powers subject to him.
And how does that explain how baptism doesn't save you now when it clearly says is does.

And this prefigured baptism, which now saves you.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo said:
And how does that explain how baptism doesn't save you now when it clearly says is does.

How doyou not see that this verse says it isn't baptism in water that saves you? Its baptism into Christ that saves you.

People who believe that water baptism is necessary aren't right... They are just wet.

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
FHII said:
How doyou not see that this verse says it isn't baptism in water that saves you? Its baptism into Christ that saves you.

People who believe that water baptism is necessary aren't right... They are just wet.
Haha...

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Mungo said:
Not what it states....read carefully;
In the ark a few, that is eight souls, were delivered through water. And this prefigured baptism, which now saves you—not the washing off of physical dirt but the pledge of a good conscience to God—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ
The flood pre-configured baptism and that they were saved by the Ark through the water. We are saved by Jesus and the water baptism is symbolic of him saving us as the Ark saved Noah and his family out of the water in that day. Water baptism is only symbolic, it is not efficacious in any manner that relates to spiritual salvation.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Mungo said:
As I stated - We are born again in water baptism. That is when Jesus saves us. That is when we receive the Holy Spirit.
Of course we are not saved without Jesus as the atonement for sins. I have never claimed otherwise.
Romans 10:8-11
“The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we preach), because if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and thus has righteousness and with the mouth one confesses and thus has salvation. For the scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.”
Water baptism is an outward symbolic sign of an inward spiritual reality of salvation. Belief and confession save, NOT water. The following verses in Acts should make it very clear as to who or what saves.
Acts 2:21
And then everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
Acts 4:12
And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among people by which we must be saved.
Acts 15:11
On the contrary, we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they are.
Acts 16:31
Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, you and your household.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Mungo said:
And Ti 3:5 says
“..he saved us, not because of any works of righteousness that we had done, but according to his mercy, through the water of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.” (Titus 3:5)

That is why John 3:5 says:
Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.”
You see water and spiritbath of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit
Again, you need to read in context, and stop cherry-picking verses. What you are doing is called eisegesis, and is not the correct way of studying the Bible.
Titus 3:4-7
But “when the kindness of God our Savior and his love for mankind appeared, he saved us not by works of righteousness that we have done but on the basis of his mercy, through the washing of the new birth and the renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us in full measure through Jesus Christ our Savior. And so, since we have been justified by his grace, we become heirs with the confident expectation of eternal life.”

The washing of rebirth is a metaphor that symbolizes what Jesus does for us in the spirit.
John 3:5-6
Jesus answered, “I tell you the solemn truth, unless a person is born of water and spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. What is born of the flesh is flesh, and what is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Being born of water is in the physical realm. I'm sure you were born so I'm sure you would know that water precedes actual physical birth. The birth process starts when a woman's water breaks. Metaphorically the Holy Spirit scrubs off the old sin and we become Born Again spiritually.

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
davidnelson said:
I agree.

um... yeh... Reading Comprehension class?

it clearly says
you must be born of WATER and the Holy Spirit...

ScaliaFan

Apr 2, 2016
Read #18

typical of catholic haters... they claim to go by the bible and then, we see how, when faced with something they don't like or don't u/stand... they ditch the Bible

so typical

Read #18

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ScaliaFan said:
Read #18
typical of catholic haters... they claim to go by the bible and then, we see how, when faced with something they don't like or don't u/stand... they ditch the Bible
so typical
Read #18
Uhh, read post # 17....so typical. Unless you were hatched, we are all born of water.