Bashing Protestants/Bashing Catholics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
HammerStone said:
Please respect the OP and this community by not going against his wishes and keep this thread on topic. Thank you.

I agree,

and perhaps the thread is not a 'let's bash Catholics about Mary' thread. We have enough of them.

Rex,

just for information:

What an astonishing mystery! There is one Father of the universe, one Logos of the universe, and also one Holy Spirit, everywhere one and the same; there is also one virgin become mother, and I should like to call her "Church."262

The 'one virgin become mother' that Clement is referring to is the Church not Mary. Try reading his words in context. It's the same analogy of the Church as our mother that I referred to earlier.

Back to the topic:

In my experience there are several areas where serious misunderstandings by Protestants arise, and can cause frustration, when trying to discuss issues with Catholics. Below I have tried to identify some of these in simple terms (perhaps over simplified).

Doctrine and Practices
It is useful to distinguish between doctrine and practices.

Doctrine is what we believe concerning faith and morals and once formally defined it becomes dogma and is unchangeable.

Practices can and do change.

Doctrines are universal.

Practices can be local and “inculturated”.

Practices can become corrupt and wrong, and in need of reform – which does happen.

Magisterial Teaching
What is authentic Magisterial teaching on an matter of doctrine?

The Magisterium is the teaching office of the Catholic Church and consists of the Bishops and Pope. They alone can pronounce on matters of doctrine.

Not everything they say are infallible statements. It depends on the topic and purpose of any document they produce.

Infallible definitions of doctrines are clearly signalled as such by words such as I/we declare and define….

Only documents that originate from the Magisterium can be considered as fully authoritative, such as documents of Ecumenical Councils, Papal Apostolic Constitutions and the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

There is a huge amount of authoritative material on the Vatican web site (www.vatican.va), including the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the documents of Vatican II and the encyclicals etc. of recent Popes

Writings of theologians, lay apologists, canonised Saints or non magisterial publications such the New Catholic Encyclopaedia, Wikipedia and various websites run by Catholics are not Magisterial documents. These writings have value depending on the quality of the source they originate from but they do not necessarily correctly reflect Catholic beliefs and practices.

It is extremely irritating to be told that I must believe "X" because it says so on some web site run by Joe Smith who is a Catholic.

Even the statements of individual Bishops are not in themselves Magisterial documents and can be wrong or misleading (though one would hope not).

Words
Catholics sometimes use words in a way that is different from the way that Protestants use them.

Words change over time and the meaning of a word in an old document may not be the same as current usage

The originals of Magisterial documents are normally in Latin (or sometimes Italian). Sometimes translations are poor, especially of older documents.

If those discussing with Catholics would bear these points in mind it would be helpful.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Dodo_David said:
Folks, my purpose for starting this thread was to maintain peace between Roman Catholics and Protestants.

To have that peace, it is not necessary to debate the differences between the theological beliefs of the two groups.

In order to promote such peace, doing the following would help:

1) Protestant Christians acknowledge that Christians in the Roman Catholic Church are saved and going to Heaven.

2) Christians in the Roman Catholic Church acknowledge that Protestant Christians are saved and going to Heaven.

Keep in mind what the Apostle Paul says in Romans 10:9-13 :

Also, Paul says in Ephesians 2:8, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God . . ."

Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox are Christians. All three believe in Jesus Christ and that Christ is God. All three believe in the Holy Trinity. There are differences between all three Christians, which is the reason for some of the disagreements, but there are also many similarities between all three. It is true that all three believe that we are saved by grace.

As for Mary, Protestants don't have to believe what we believe about Mary. But if anyone has questions about what Catholics believe about Mary, it would always be best to ask a Catholic why they believe such things about Mary and listen to what they say rather than to make accusations.

Niki

May 28, 2013
I'm back. The reason I quit posting here is gone so I think I have peace to post again...if I offended anyone prior, I apologize.

Now, where were we? :)

I firmly believe that anyone who has accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior in this fallen world, is saved! and i praise God for that. God is not the God of denoms...none of them have
it 100% right anyway!