Prophecy 101: Origin Of Historicism, Preterism, and Futurism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many Christians today are wholly ignorant of the events of the past that have shaped what Christianity teaches regarding the three main schools of eschatological thought: Historicism, Preterism, and Futurism. An analysis of these events will prove that a “reversal of fortune” of sorts has taken place regarding what is popularly taught today as Biblical eschatology:

I. Historicism

This was the belief held by all Protestant Reformers from the 16th century until the 19th century – over 300 years – before the Protestant Reformation began to lose steam and other ideas began to creep in. Renowned, brilliant, scholarly Christians everywhere understood that the prophecies of Daniel and Revelation pointed to the Papacy as the system which would arise as the greatest archenemy of Christ: the Antichrist. The metals, beasts, heads, and horns of these two prophetic books point to Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, Rome. After the Roman Empire fell in 476 A.D., ten barbarian “horn” nations that would evolve into the nations of Europe stood up in its place (Daniel 7:7 KJV). It is curious that though some modern religious historians deny this fact, many others, including secular historians, have recognized that when the dust of the fallen Roman Empire settled, it was these ten nations who initially stood as separate and distinct one from another – http://everlasting-gospel.blogspot.com/2012/10/historical-sources-affirm-little-horn.html :

1. Heruli = extinct

2. Vandals = extinct

3. Ostrogoths = extinct

1. Anglo-Saxons = England

2. Francs = France

3. Visigoths = Spain

4. Lombards = Italians

5. Burgundians = Swiss

6. Alemanni = Germany

7. Suevi = Portugal

Initially, there was no imperial power ruling over them, but when Emperor Justinian at the bequest of the Bishop of Rome sent his general Belasarius from Constantinople to overthrow the Ostrogoths – the last of the three which were “plucked up by the roots” and completely wiped off the map (Daniel 7:8 KJV) – the “little horn” Antichrist system of the Papacy, which is the union of the Catholic church and the State, emerged as the reigning, undisputed heavyweight champion who's authority would be magnified to the point where the Bishop of Rome would even decide whether kings could sit upon their thrones. According to the prophecy of Daniel 7, the Papal Little Horn Antichrist:

• came up “among” and “after” the ten horns, which proves that the Antichrist did not arise in the first century as it is claimed by Preterism which will be looked at in brief later.

• would “pluck up three of the first horns”, which proves that the rise of Antichrist is historical, not future, because the Heruli, Vandals, and Ostrogoths were three of the first horns to attack the Roman Empire.

• would be “diverse” in that it was both a religio/political horn, unlike the other ten horns.

• “had eyes like the eyes of man” - a man at it's head lacking Holy Spirit discernment.

• has “a mouth speaking “great words” as it claims that the Pope is God on Earth and that he alone possesses the power to absolve or not to absolve guilt of sin, both of which are defined in the gospels as “blasphemy” and Revelation 13 says that the Antichrist would “speak great things and blasphemies” and “he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God”.

• was “more stout than his fellows” in that it gained the ascendency over the other horns.

• “made war with the saints” as history attests to the fact that between 75 – 150 MILLION saints which were put to death as “heretics” for rejecting the Papacy's Satanic dogmas. Revelation 13 says almost verbatim of the Antichrist that he would “make war with the saints and overcome them.”

• would “think to change times and laws” which it did so by abolishing the Second commandment forbidding idolatry, splitting the Tenth commandment into two separate commandments to make up for the Second, as well as other changes that are recorded in various Papal encyclicals which legalize theft, murder, etc.

• would reign for “a time, times, and half a time”. Revelation 13 says that the Antichrist was given power to “continue forty and two months” which is the same as 1,260 days”, “3 ½ years, or “a time, times, and half a time”. Revelation 12 plainly identifies “time, times, and half a time” as 1,260 symbolic prophetic days (which are literal years according to the “day/year principle” in prophecy) that the church – the virgin “woman” espoused to Christ which awaits her bridegroom – would be forced to flee from the face of the Papacy to the mountains and caves for this same period of Papal reign – exactly 1,260 years from 538 A.D. to 1798 A.D., when Napoleon sent his general Berthier to arrest the Pope and declared the Papacy dead. Among those who comprised the true church of God which fled into the wilderness were the Waldenses, the Albigensis, the Lollards, the Bogomills, the Hugenots and many, others who labored both out in the harsh environment of the wilderness as well as clandestinely for Christ among the people right under the nose of the Papacy. Though the Papacy sought to depict these rebels as scattered sects here and there, their own archives, which speak of an “infestation”, accurately attest to the truth that the “woman fled into the wilderness”

• accurately fulfills the description of the “number of the beast – 666” by virtue of the ancient practice of Numerology, which is the assignment of numerals to the letters in an individual's name. The title of the man at the head of the Papacy which is “Vicarius Filii Dei”, as well as other title or names associated with the Papacy, numbers exactly 666.

Much more evidence could be given for why the Protestant Reformers believed this Historicist interpretation of prophecy, but suffice it to say that Historicism dealt a devastating blow to the Papacy and it was for this that decisive action was taken against the Protestant Reformation.

Although there were other forerunners to him, it was not until the imminent scholar and intrepid Catholic monk Martin Luther in 1517 A.D., began protesting the corrupted teachings of the Papacy in earnest desire to reform his church that the Christian world began to take notice. It was from his early efforts to reform his beloved church that the Protestant Reformation finds its roots and grew as more and more of Christianity's finest and foremost authorities on language and Scripture under the aegis of the Holy Spirit joined with him in opposition to the Papacy. Luther was eventually excommunicated from the Catholic church and soon afterward embarked on a study of Daniel and Revelation, and was led to believe that the identity of the Antichrist was none other that the Papal system to which he once loved and belonged. This idea was forged to become one of the pillars of the Reformation and it caused the Catholic church to hemorrhage so many congregants that a “Counter Reformation” was launched by the Papacy. The infamous Council of Trent in Italy was convened and lasted a record 18 years and was establish for the sole purpose of overthrowing the Protestant Reformation. The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) was formed and two Jesuit priests, who had approached the Bible with preconceived notions that the Papacy was innocent of the claims of the Reformers, sought an alternative Biblical interpretation of prophecy which would exonerate the Papacy – an approach to Biblical study which guarantees failure in the quest for spiritual enlightenment every time because it removes the guidance of the Holy Spirit. These Jesuit priests are credited with fabricating both Preterism and Futurism.

II. Jesuit Preterism

Jesuit priest Luiz Alcazar unveiled to the world that the Antichrist was not the Papacy, but had actually arisen long ago in the first century, and that most of the end time prophecies had been fulfilled then. Protestant Reformers rejected this idea, which formed the basis for the modern Preterist interpretation, for over 300 years, but in the last few decades it has been growing in popularity.

III. Jesuit Futurism

Jesuit priest Francisco Ribera unveiled to the world that the Antichrist was not the Papacy, but was one evil man who would arise outside the church and deceive it. He sliced off the last week Daniel's 70 weeks and sent it down to the end of time as the “last 7 years of Tribulation”, leaving a “2,000 year gap” of time between Christ's death and the beginning of this tribulation period. During this time, the Antichrist would sit in a rebuilt Jewish temple and preside over a covenant of peace between the Arabs and the Israelites, which would be broken by him and usher in Armageddon. Later, John Nelson Darby added the “Secret Rapture” theory which would take place just before the start of the tribulation, though today there is debate as to when that “rapture” takes place in relation to that tribulation.

The Protestant Reformers soundly rejected both ideas as weak diversionary tactics to get the Christian world to point their fingers of accusation to the past, to the future – anywhere but at the Papacy. Unfortunately, during the 19th century, when Papal persecution began to wane, Protestants became lax in their study of prophecy and became vulnerable to Jesuit ideas. At the turn of the 20th century, Christian Europe had become infected with Jesuit Futurist ideas and they began to spread to the United States. With the introduction of the Scofield Reference Bible into American seminaries and Bible colleges, the “Late Great Planet Earth” by Hal Lindsey, and the “Left Behind” books and movies of the 80's, Jesuit Futurism has exploded in popularity in a country where as recent as the 1960s, Protestant sentiments toward the Papacy were still negative to the point that when Catholic JFK was elected, it was considered a turning point in our history. Today, the next generation of Protestants is so engrossed with Jesuit Futurism that they are found to be more vocal in defending these Jesuit ideas than Papal apologists themselves. It is time for Protestantism to take a look at our roots and rediscover why our forefathers saw in the Papacy the greatest enemy to the truth as it is in Christ.

Bibliocentrist

Mar 15, 2008
Australasia
One thing that helps to understand biblical prophecy is comparing with other cultures/myths (just like the bible helps understand them too viceversa).

there are 7 headed beasts/serpents (& 7 hills/mtns/rivers/seas/continents/spheres) in other mythologies (including Mesopotamian).

the 10 horns have matches in other mythologies:
- 10 bow/arcs of the world in Egyptian.
- 9 provinces of China.
- 10 curiae Rome.
- 10 kings Atlantis. 10 parts Mu. 10 canoes Maoris.

the 4 metals/beasts/rivers/ages have matches in other mythologies (see my post a few weeks ago in unorthodox doctrine subforum here).

The papacy can't be all the beast/antichrist and false prophet and harlot etc. It may be the harlot ("Mary" ~ the goddess ~ the harlot? Maybe Jezebel of the 7 churches?)
The beast is seemingly more a secular/male/warrior power like Hitler? Look at Henry the 8th, he wasn't exactly a very good type in some ways.
There are 2 halves West (Roman / WesternRoman) & East (Parthian / Byzantine/Orthodox) not just one?

Why is the papacy or islam any worse than the masonic/corporatist/evolutionist united states/western world or "zionist" globalists? [For all i know the little horn could be like Israel or Switzerland.]
Everyone is always diverting from things some of us people are suffering like fluoridated water, smart meters, work testing/benefit reforms, etc.

Prophecies of Revelation etc have matches in both past and future.
Vesuvius/pompey. Fire of Rome.
scorpion-locusts maybe like longhaired Barbarians.
Arabs called mongols like locusts.
People believed at the time that Nero = 666/616.
Black horse rider and black death/plague?

We are certainly in the last 7th church days:
Laodiceans plural unlike 6 previous churches names, ~ many churches?
Laodiceans centre of Asclepius god of medicine worship. A industrial & commerical centre.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bibliocentrist said:
One thing that helps to understand biblical prophecy is comparing with other cultures/myths (just like the bible helps understand them too viceversa).

there are 7 headed beasts/serpents (& 7 hills/mtns/rivers/seas/continents/spheres) in other mythologies (including Mesopotamian).

the 10 horns have matches in other mythologies:
- 10 bow/arcs of the world in Egyptian.
- 9 provinces of China.
- 10 curiae Rome.
- 10 kings Atlantis. 10 parts Mu. 10 canoes Maoris.

the 4 metals/beasts/rivers/ages have matches in other mythologies (see my post a few weeks ago in unorthodox doctrine subforum here).

The papacy can't be all the beast/antichrist and false prophet and harlot etc. It may be the harlot ("Mary" ~ the goddess ~ the harlot? Maybe Jezebel of the 7 churches?)
The beast is seemingly more a secular/male/warrior power like Hitler? Look at Henry the 8th, he wasn't exactly a very good type in some ways.
There are 2 halves West (Roman / WesternRoman) & East (Parthian / Byzantine/Orthodox) not just one?

Why is the papacy or islam any worse than the masonic/corporatist/evolutionist united states/western world or "zionist" globalists? [For all i know the little horn could be like Israel or Switzerland.]
Everyone is always diverting from things some of us people are suffering like fluoridated water, smart meters, work testing/benefit reforms, etc.

Prophecies of Revelation etc have matches in both past and future.
Vesuvius/pompey. Fire of Rome.
scorpion-locusts maybe like longhaired Barbarians.
Arabs called mongols like locusts.
People believed at the time that Nero = 666/616.
Black horse rider and black death/plague?

We are certainly in the last 7th church days:
Laodiceans plural unlike 6 previous churches names, ~ many churches?
Laodiceans centre of Asclepius god of medicine worship. A industrial & commerical centre.
The NWO will consist of the Papacy, having been healed of its "deadly wound" which was inflicted in 1798, which all the world will wonder after and worship as the end time global religious system, consist of the governmental "kings" of the earth which are in bed with the Papacy behind the scenes, and consist of the bankers/captains of indusry "merchants of the earth" who are getting rich because of her.

The "beast, the dragon, and the false prophet", refers to the Papacy, Occultism, and Apostate Protestantism which will join together in an Ecumenical soup in persecuting God's true people in the last days; Apostate Protestantism because their love of sin and their hatred of God's law along with their excuses for why it is impossible to obey them will cause them to drink the Koolaid of Ecumenicalism.

The secret behind secret societies is that their members worship Lucifer, and it is by this means that behind the scenes the final preparations are being laid for the NWO. Freemasonry, Illuminati, Bildergergs, Tri-lateral Commission, B'nai B'rith, Nation of Islam, Council on Foreign Relations, ALL OF THEM are subservient to the Papacy. To those who claim this sounds too bizarre to be true, I direct them to the statements of Scripture in which we find that end time deception was of so great concern to Jesus that He warned us of that before speaking the first word of revelation to us in Matthew 24 and told us that it would be so great that if it were possible, the very elect would be deceived by it. I marvel at how quickly Christians swallow whatever "Christian" leaders say to them about Jesuit Futurism, as if the problem of deception is something the next guy needs to be concerned with.

Bibliocentrist

Mar 15, 2008
Australasia
Well i don't want to risk disagreeing/offending. Its all basically right anyway, i just not sure i agree myself that the papacy is the only one behind all of the 5 (dragon, beast, FP, harlot/babylon, Jezebel). Yes they can all be ultimately loosely/vaguely/roughly linked to One common enemy (whether it is the Devil, Mammon, World, zionism, Papacy, Globalism, transhumanism/2045 intiative, UNO, reptilians, mystery of iniquity).
The nationalists say same thing except they say zionists/globalists not papacy is the common one behind it/them all.
Yes Revelation does say the harlot Babylon commit with kings of earth, and the woman rides the beast, but still think myself from the other bits of bible that the beast/AC is also different & will hate/attack the harlot.
I had thought the harlot might be bad Jews but seems more likely harlot = eve/lilith/jahi = goddess = catholic/"mary" & other religions etc. Hollywood also has 7 hills/suburbs?

I think the deadly wound is more likely the wound from Golgotha/Calvary on the Devil's/beast's head (1 of 7 heads) & Roman empire?. There are possibly other less likely matches like WW2.

The false prophet is the antitype of 'the Prophet' that Moses spoke of, that is Jesus (and that John said he is not, and that Mohammed claimed to be) [compare Nebo/Nabu "prophet"].
Some say of the lamb-dragon, that the lamb = Jesus copy.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
All of it is just wild speculation.

No man knows the time. And so to say this is the last days when they have been saying it for over a thousand years only serves to show how mad christendom looks.

Schisms a plenty, a divided house and Christians fighting each other is proof we need not merely a grain of salt with these ideas but a kilo.

Until there is a full revival to establish the rightful order of priests, until Christians are united under that order and until Christians put away their worship of the old ways, mammon and themselves; there can be no fulfillment of prophecy.

A lot will have to change and none of us on this forum will live to see it.

Bibliocentrist

Mar 15, 2008
Australasia
No it is not all just wild speculation. I am a scholar, i study bible and history and myths and mysteries of many cultures (despite my "sad/sick" personal life problems). I am tired enough of mainstream, sceptics, academics always accusing me of pseudo, firnge, wild speculation, etc (but i have enough discoveries to my belt/cap like Joseph in Egypt, and "(King) Arthur's" 9 battle sites, etc [though they refuse to accept/acknowledge/credit them]). (Maybe my aspergers is linked with slight gift.) And although no one can know the year or day or hour, we can know the season or times/signs.
I have only said it is seemingly near the last days, not how many/few years/centuries are left. Surely we are the 7th Laodiceans church time as i showed evidence.
There is/may not going to be any "revival" unless it is the latter rain? There will be a falling away and the love of many will grow cold (which is already around quite a bit).
But, "knowledge puffs up, love edifies".

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
pom2014 said:
Well i don't want to risk disagreeing/offending. Its all basically right anyway, i just not sure i agree myself that the papacy is the only one behind all of the 5 (dragon, beast, FP, harlot/babylon, Jezebel). Yes they can all be ultimately loosely/vaguely/roughly linked to One common enemy (whether it is the Devil, Mammon, World, zionism, Papacy, Globalism, transhumanism/2045 intiative, UNO, reptilians, mystery of iniquity).
There's a book called "The Two Babylons" by Alexander Hislop which exhaustively details how the Catholic church is the epitome of and perfected Sun worship. The Antichrist actually mirrors Christ:

Jesus Christ is the true Christ.
"Antichrist" means "for", "instead of", "in behalf of" "in place of" Christ, and it boggles my mind that the entire Protestant world is oblivious to all the titles, names, and attributes of the True Christ that the Papacy has taken to itself as Antichrist.

Jesus is the "man child" that was "brought forth from the woman" in Revelation 12.

The Papacy claims that the woman of Revelation 12 is "Mary" the "mother of the Catholic church".

The "time of Christ" = 3 1/2 years of ministry.
The "time of Antichrist" = 3 1/2 symbolic years, or 1,260 literal years of the Papacy's ministry against the truth.

Christ received a "deadly wound" on the cross that was "healed" on resurrection morning.
Revelation 13 chronicles that the Papacy received a "deadly wound" in 1798 at the hands of Napoleon which was "healed" in 1929 by Mussolini, who returned the papal states and authority over them to the Pope.

Jesus is called "the desire of all nations."
After its deadly wound was healed in 1929, prophecy says "all the world wondered after the beast."

Jesus is our High Priest.
The Pope claims to be the High Priest of the church.

Jesus, as both the High Priest and Sacrifice, ministers in the heavenly sanctuary adorned with High Priestly garments, alongside the candlestick, table of showbread, altar of incense, censor of incense, and Ark of the covenant.
The Papal priests minister in Catholic "sanctuaries" with exactly the same, with the addition of the "bloodless sacrifice" of the Eucharist.

Jesus is called the "Everlasting Father".
The Pope is called "Holy Father".

Jesus, the Word of God, worked miracles as a sign that He was sent from God.
The Papacy, finding nowhere in the Word of God grounds for the establishment of its authority, relies on the "signs, wonders, and miracles" of "Mary's" appearance in Fatima, Medjugorje, Lourdes, the stigmatas, statues which cry blood, olive oil that is tested to be impossibly pure, pedals fallen from the sky with "Mother and child" images GROWN INTO the pedal, etc. etc. etc.

(Bro, I could keep this up and up)

My point is that the U.N., Zionism, Freemasonry, Illuminati members, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. are ALL Luciferian systems who are either directly or indirectly subservient to the most Luciferian of all, the Papacy by means of the Papal initiates at the head of those systems. Through Jesuit infiltration, the systems of the world are working to bring about the fulfillment of prophecy. Even Islam was created by the Papacy to stamp out Christianity in the East where it was still pure, but failed to realize that this would be their undoing, seeing that the Christian scholars, like Erasmus, fled West with their pure Bible MSS and settled right there in Europe and began to expose the corruptions of Papal MSS in light of Bible truth, upon which the Protestant Reformation was built.

If you have the time, check out "Total Onslaught" series on Youtube: "The Islamic Connection" and "The Secret Behind Secret Societies" and "Hidden Agenda". Heck, watch 'em all.

Bibliocentrist

Mar 15, 2008
Australasia
Thanks for that. I can't comment any further either way as there is enough that i can see i don't really know enough without alot more bible study and prayer etc. Somethings i don't see very strong (like the proposed matches for the wound and 10 horns) but some things seem like maybe right.

In relation to the beast/antichrist I thought i'd just post this which i just been working on. I am trying to solve the 70/72 nations of Genesis 10, and we may have finally found a key to the table of nations in Ezekiel 38/39. (That is aside from the meanings of the names being the only other possible key i have found so far.) But i am not sure if the nations there are not maybe/perhaps just figurative namesakes and not related to the Genesis 10 nations? Our best guess for the Ezekiel 38 nations matches is:

gomer ("standing for all the family, complete", sides north, all his squadrons)
~ europeans/caucasoid/human/homo? ((Thraco-)Cimmerians/Cymry/Cimbri? France? [& UK??])

magog (Gog, "ceiling/roof, mountain", far recesses north / north parts, n(e), wall, Rosh "chief/head")
~ russia/nordic/caucasus/Gogarene?

javan/yawan ("wine" / "miry/clay")
~ greece/(w) mediterraneans/ionians/westerners/south?

tubal/tuval ("tumult, producer, flow", Ariphi & Kesed)
~ caucasus/tobolsk/iberi/vulcan/tauri?

meshech/meshek ("draw out, scatter seed", sea not mentioned elsewhere)
~ russia/muscovy/caspian?

togarmah ("house of", "you will break" / "gnaw a bone", all his bands, uttermost north, 10 sons, great river Dubnee)
~ German(ic)s/alpine/donar/thor/hermion/"10 barbarian nations of western Roman empire (10 horns/toes)"?

tarshish ("solid/rocky" / "sontemplate", merchants/ships, riches/metals)
~ spain/tartessos/tartarus? &/or italy/etruscans/peter "rock/stone"? (tarsus/tarhuntassa?)

kittim ("bruisers/break", fleet, islands, used for all islands and greater part of sea coasts/coastlands, king Abianus, king Latinus)
~ usa &/or uk/celts/cruitne/albion? [from Crete/Krit/Keftiou? or/and Hithlah/Italac / Hittites / Italics?]

Bibliocentrist

Mar 15, 2008
Australasia
Sorry it looks like i got some wrong. But the nations is verging off-topic and i don't have the Health/time/etc to start & reply a forum thread/topic so see my updates at my blog posts at http://historum.com/blogs/rob+banks/30939-table-nations-genesis-10.html .

more back on topic/posts-above:

The 7th church Laodiceans was "a large commercial and manufacturing town", matching Gog "prince of Meshech ("price/precious/economy, aquisition in the process of scattering seeds") and Tubal ("producer/production", "bought of", traffickers in slaves/brass)".

(We know we are in the last 7th church now:
- Laodiceans "people/laity + justice/rule" ~ democracy.
- "a large commercial and manufacturing town containing a large Jewish population". (& "rich and increased with goods.)
- Laodiceans plural unlike the previous 6 churches ~ many denominations/churchs/sects.)
- a centre of Asclepius (god of medicine) worship [compare water fluoridation, medication, etc].
- some churches/christians lukewarm. Jesus on outside of some churches.
[- 7 churches 7 continents??])

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bibliocentrist said:
Sorry it looks like i got some wrong. But the nations is verging off-topic and i don't have the Health/time/etc to start & reply a forum thread/topic so see my updates at my blog posts at http://historum.com/blogs/rob+banks/30939-table-nations-genesis-10.html .

more back on topic/posts-above:

The 7th church Laodiceans was "a large commercial and manufacturing town", matching Gog "prince of Meshech ("price/precious/economy, aquisition in the process of scattering seeds") and Tubal ("producer/production", "bought of", traffickers in slaves/brass)".

(We know we are in the last 7th church now:
- Laodiceans "people/laity + justice/rule" ~ democracy.
- "a large commercial and manufacturing town containing a large Jewish population". (& "rich and increased with goods.)
- Laodiceans plural unlike the previous 6 churches ~ many denominations/churchs/sects.)
- a centre of Asclepius (god of medicine) worship [compare water fluoridation, medication, etc].
- some churches/christians lukewarm. Jesus on outside of some churches.
[- 7 churches 7 continents??])
I was interested to learn that Laodicea was known in antiquity as a manufacturer of an herbal "eyesalve", as well as having been so "rich and increased with goods" that when a natural disaster destroyed the city, they declined funding from the Roman Empire and rebuilt the city themselves. (Revelation 3:17:18 KJV)