Beards

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is still the ways of the world. And the Bible says "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world". So Christians should ask themselves if Christ or any of His apostles WOULD EVEN DREAM of being tattooed.
Ok, let's go there. Paul says he became like many to save some. Would a tattooed non-Christain talk to a tattooed Christian more readily? I guess Jesus and the Disciples wore robes. If I wore something like that on the street today people would rightly wonder if I was a homo. So, isn't that Jesus conforming to the culture of the time in order to reach people? If Jesus were here today, don't you think he might wear blue jeans instead of a robe?

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 10224 As for beards versus tatoos... we were born with hair growing on our bodies... We must choose either to cut or not to cut. No baby born to woman was born with tatoos already in place or ready to develop when he reached puberty. They are not the same thing! The picture of me with my beard when my son was two months old. The beard is gone because my wife, being subjected to raw face asked me to shave. I did and have not stopped shaving regularly since... When I came to God in 1976 nothing changed in that respect.
Doesn't that mean women should not shave any of their body hair? Because it grows naturally...

Reactions: Nancy and farouk

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Renniks Frankly, this would be to press an Old Testament mindset onto a New Testament people, right?
Well I think so, but some seem to be indicating that they think we are still under law. A funny thing about this subject-as a kid the churches I went to strongly discouraged beards. I can remember the preacher preaching against beards because they carried a "hippie" connotation, and we would not want people associating us with hippie culture. It's interesting what some Christians adopt as personal convictions. I remember one man (much later at a Bible study) who said he did not feel right going to town in Jeans or messy because he represented Christ to people. Honestly, such a thought would never have crossed my mind, but if that's his conviction, who am I to say different? I don't think that I would feel right getting a tatoo myself. I understand that some of that is my upbringing and I try not to let it affect how I view people with tattoos, but I do think some go way overboard. They only look ok until you get old anyway, then they get kinda weird.

Reactions: Nancy and farouk

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't that mean women should not shave any of their body hair? Because it grows naturally...
Why are you asking me? I made no judgement one way or the other. I follow the Lord as best I can where He leads me. The only person presently concerned always with where I might lead would be my wife. I have only one wife.

Not every person is to be the same part of the Body of Christ nor is each person at precisely the same place on the highway of holiness. God has an answer for each one of His sheep. His sheep should be listening closely to Him.

Reactions: Nancy

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simple. This was a commandment within the Old Covenant. Christians are under the New Covenant.

As to tattoos, that is an entirely different matter. Pagans used to tattoo themselves within their false religions, and tattooing is forbidden in Scripture (as are all pagan practices). Furthermore today it is generally criminals and gangsters who love tattoos, not Christians. the MS-13 gangsters identify themselves with their tattoos.
Just to play "Devil's Advocate" here . . . .

First off - I agree with you about tattoos. Their origins are pagan and we should not emulate paganism.
However - if they ARE in fact "forbidden" by Scripture because of their pagan origins - then why do so many Christians get cremated? Cremation was largely a pagan practice. Jews buried their dead - and the only exception I can think of is Saul and his sons (1 Samuel 31:11-13).

Also - wedding rings find their origins in paganism.
Are certain things truly forbidden by Scripture beyond the Law of Moses - or are they just a "bad idea"?

Maybe it all comes down to intent.
I dunno - just thinking out loud . . .

Reactions: amadeus and LC627

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...dispensationally we are not now under the law anyway...
That does not give you the liberty -- as you assume -- to follow the ways of the world. That is called Antinomianism.

"...No, we are not under the Old Testament Law. Yes, we are under the law of Christ. The law of Christ is not an extensive list of legal codes. It is a law of love. If we love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength, we will do nothing to displease Him. If we love our neighbors as ourselves, we will do nothing to harm them. Obeying the law of Christ is not a requirement to earn or maintain salvation. The law of Christ is what God expects of a Christian..."
quoted from Got Questions.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
However - if they ARE in fact "forbidden" by Scripture because of their pagan origins - then why do so many Christians get cremated? Cremation was largely a pagan practice.
Correct. Christians should NOT be cremated and there should be proper teaching on this subject in the churches (which is generally missing).

As to wedding rings, they are harmless, and indeed beneficial in many ways.

Reactions: Candidus

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Comparing beards and tattoos is akin to comparing chalk and cheese. Defacing the body is forbidden in scripture. Defacing the body is a standard practice for cultures that know not the God of Redemption. Promoting defacement of any kind indicates the influence of the demonic.

Israel was instructed to keep the practices of surrounding nations at distance....tattooing included. They were to be a peculiar people.....people who stood head and shoulders above those steeped in degrading practices....they were to be representatives of the King of Glory. Their failure is mirrored in the ready and willing attitude of todays Churches to kow tow to unsanctified practices, its promotion and justification evidence of openly defying God on this matter.

Reactions: amadeus

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Women in many countries do not shave their legs or underarms. I saw it when I was visiting Italy when I was 12 years old. Was funny to me as, I'd never seen it. We were staying in a poorer village outside of Rome. I suppose women in the more cultured areas could have shaved?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just to play "Devil's Advocate" here . . . .

First off - I agree with you about tattoos. Their origins are pagan and we should not emulate paganism.
However - if they ARE in fact "forbidden" by Scripture because of their pagan origins - then why do so many Christians get cremated? Cremation was largely a pagan practice. Jews buried their dead - and the only exception I can think of is Saul and his sons (1 Samuel 31:11-13).

Also - wedding rings find their origins in paganism.
Are certain things truly forbidden by Scripture beyond the Law of Moses - or are they just a "bad idea"?

Maybe it all comes down to intent.
I dunno - just thinking out loud . . .
I think we can create a new meaning for things by doing it with the right spirit of truth and holiness.
For most today the wedding ring symbolizes a Covenant relationship between a man and woman.
What was meant for evil has been turned for good.
There are many sinners who get born again who already have acquired tattoos. So they can't undo it so easily.
I attended a church where the pastor was an ex marine and he had tattoos and after he got saved he got called into the ministry. He still has the tattoos but in church no one could see them.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct. Christians should NOT be cremated and there should be proper teaching on this subject in the churches (which is generally missing).

As to wedding rings, they are harmless, and indeed beneficial in many ways.

Little cremation joke: I don't want to be cremated - don't want to burn twice :D

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He still has the tattoos but in church no one could see them.
And there's your answer. He knows that as a converted Christian, they are not be be displayed. Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the Church of God (1 Cor 10:32)

Reactions: Heart2Soul

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Women in many countries do not shave their legs or underarms. I saw it when I was visiting Italy when I was 12 years old. Was funny to me as, I'd never seen it. We were staying in a poorer village outside of Rome. I suppose women in the more cultured areas could have shaved?
Indeed! When I was in Europe for my study year [1969-1970] unshaven legs and armpits among women was still quite common. The women who did shave had mostly learned these "new" ways from Americans, the numerous tourists in particular... Bad or good? I have my biased preference, but what should matter for someone serving God is the conviction in his/her heart. What does God want from you?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed! When I was in Europe for my study year [1969-1970] unshaven legs and armpits among women was still quite common. The women who did shave had mostly learned these "new" ways from Americans, the numerous tourists in particular... Bad or good? I have my biased preference, but what should matter for someone serving God is the conviction in his/her heart. What does God want from you?

Well, it has become quite the "norm" for western women and, when we see a women who does not shave...it can kind of make one go ew? Conditioning. I'd like to know who came up with all that leg and pit shaving anyhow...has become a very lucrative business. Had to be a guy, lol...I would think they would like the smoothness ha. But with all that said, I think it is just fine for a woman to NOT shave. :)

Reactions: farouk and amadeus

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we can create a new meaning for things by doing it with the right spirit of truth and holiness.
For most today the wedding ring symbolizes a Covenant relationship between a man and woman.
What was meant for evil has been turned for good.
There are many sinners who get born again who already have acquired tattoos. So they can't undo it so easily.
I attended a church where the pastor was an ex marine and he had tattoos and after he got saved he got called into the ministry. He still has the tattoos but in church no one could see them.
I don't want to hijack this thread - but you brought up an interesting point (in RED).

I have debated MANY people about practices that were formerly pagan in origin - but were "absorbed" by the Church and made into Christian practices - such as some of the practices surrounding Halloween or Christmas. The result is that nobody remembers the pagan reason for the practice, as it has now been co opted for Christianity, which is a good thing.
However, I always get the same argument - it is "evil" and the Church is "evil" for co opting these practices.

I agree with your assessment in RED - and it's refreshing to see this opinion from a non-Catholic.

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I was told by a German, when I was in in Germany, that when he was young, only prostitutes shaved their legs and armpits. When I lived there in the mid-80's, it was 50/50.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was told by a German, when I was in in Germany, that when he was young, only prostitutes shaved their legs and armpits. When I lived there in the mid-80's, it was 50/50.

Did you find the ones who did not shave any less attractive, or manly?

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, it has become quite the "norm" for western women and, when we see a women who does not shave...it can kind of make one go ew? Conditioning. I'd like to know who came up with all that leg and pit shaving anyhow...has become a very lucrative business. Had to be a guy, lol...I would think they would like the smoothness ha. But with all that said, I think it is just fine for a woman to NOT shave. :)
Yet, look back at the 40's and 50's, where what was the ideal "clean-cut Christian man" had dark suit, tie, white shirt, clean shaven and a short haircut. The Mormons demand their missionaries dress and appear as the "perfect image" of a holy Christian. In the Old Testament is was a shame for a man to have a short haircut and a trimmed or shaven beard. Such a "clean-cut man" would never be seen as a "holy man."

Cultures change. Some rigid denominations that exist today has women with their uncut hair in a bun, no makeup, and no jewelry, and long loose dresses. They are stuck in time, when such a look was the "standard" for "holy Christian women. " These denominations believe that when people look at you, they will say, "There's a Christian!" They are fooling themselves in that most people I know look at them as a contest to see who can be the "homeliest for the Lord!"

Remember when almost every preacher wore a "collar"? Do you know where the tradition came from?

At one time collars were the cat's meow! It was the style of the day! But, when they fell out of favor and styles changed, not everybody was wealthy enough to get an upgrade to stay current! Preachers were notoriously underpaid and under supported. When they fell so far behind everyone else, people would point to them and say, "Look, a preacher"! The style eventually became a "style" to identify themselves as "Clergy."

I see dress as a means of modesty, and to make one self attractive and normal to society. I no longer wear bell-bottoms and psychedelic silk shirts and I no longer have long hair.

Reactions: Heart2Soul