Beards

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
For most today the wedding ring symbolizes a Covenant relationship between a man and woman.
There are many sinners who get born again who already have acquired tattoos. So they can't undo it so easily.
I attended a church where the pastor was an ex marine and he had tattoos and after he got saved he got called into the ministry. He still has the tattoos but in church no one could see them.
@Heart2Soul I truly don't see how anyone could legitimately have a problem when a bride and groom exchange wedding rings; I truly don't; it's beyond me that anyone could (but what do I know? :rolleyes:) I must confess that I struggle to see the mindset of those who could find such wedding rings objectionable.
Tattoos; well, now I guess it's brides even more than grooms that are likely to have them.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well, it has become quite the "norm" for western women and, when we see a women who does not shave...it can kind of make one go ew? Conditioning. I'd like to know who came up with all that leg and pit shaving anyhow...has become a very lucrative business. Had to be a guy, lol...I would think they would like the smoothness ha. But with all that said, I think it is just fine for a woman to NOT shave. :)
@Nancy I don't want to be too specific but so many things amount to cultural expectations rather than being absolutes. Sometimes those cultural expectations can be very strong, though.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I was told by a German, when I was in in Germany, that when he was young, only prostitutes shaved their legs and armpits. When I lived there in the mid-80's, it was 50/50.
@Candidus As above, again I don't want to be too specific; but I just suppose you must know what you are talking about.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well there seems to be a great fuss about tattoos, but what about beards? The verse before the one about tattoos in Leviticus says

Leviticus 19:27
Do not trim off the hair on your temples or trim your beards."

So why are tattoos unacceptable to many, but beard trimming, shaving is acceptable?

I myself trim my beard and shave it off once in a while.

In my view these were both Old Testament Jewish laws that weren't passed on into the NT.
@Josho So I guess another way of approaching the question you have raised is: Do any Fundamentalists give you a hard time because of your beard? (a parallel question - because of the link you established - would I guess also be: Do any Fundamentalists give your sister a hard time because of her tattoos?)

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Most of the family in this picture have never seen the guy in the middle without a beard.

upload_2020-8-10_17-37-20.png

Seems to run in the family.

There are six bearded gentlemen in this picture

Reactions: farouk

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I guess some ppl get unnecessarily upset if they see wrinkles on their face in the mirror...

Like some people have a need to post a lot. It is all about their image most of the time.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi. I looked it up briefly and saw it's something that requires some research. I can only speculate, so I won't. Though I will say that the Lord had a good reason for it. I see Jews sometimes that have long sideburns, though I'm not sure why. Do you know any Messianic Jews? I think that some Orthodox Jews have a real problem with Christians, and rightfully so, see the Inquisitions, etc., so you may want to avoid them. But they're not all like that. It just depends on the person. Ask the Lord to show you. You are right in saying that it isn't for the New Covenant; it may represent something in Heaven, or it may have to do with the prophetic foreshadowing of Christ. I'm a Levite worship leader and that is something I'd like to know. I have thought about it, though. It seems like the more I learn about the word, the more I see that I need to learn. Anyway, thanks for the question, it's a good one. Shalom.
@Ron Coates Anyway I think @Josho's point in mentioning them was the idea that if ppl are going to give others a hard time because of tattoos, then logically they need to have bushy beards as well, as per Leviticus.

Reactions: Truman

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I would be interested to hear on this, since there are some Christians without beards who speak against tattoos. ;)
One school of thought regarding ceremonial laws is to hold on to that which is good.
Tattooing is voluntary self-injury. Not good. Don't do it.
Beard-trimming harms no one. Neither does beard-growing. Do as you please.
Just one point of view.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well there seems to be a great fuss about tattoos, but what about beards? The verse before the one about tattoos in Leviticus says

So why are tattoos unacceptable to many, but beard trimming, shaving is acceptable?

In my view these were both Old Testament Jewish laws that weren't passed on into the NT.
This is the easiest doctrine I follow.

My wife says she likes me shaved, so I shave.

Happy wife, happy life!

Reactions: OzSpen

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Josho,

Have you ever wondered if Jesus had a beard? You may already have an idea of what Jesus looked like based on a movie, picture, or crucifix. Though Jesus is portrayed with a beard doesn’t mean he had one. Researchers and archeologists haven’t discovered any pictures or sculptures of Jesus that date back to the time of his birth and resurrection.

The earliest pictures of Jesus date from 200-300 years after his birth. The oldest is a painting from 235 C.E. which shows Jesus with a beard. Archeologists discovered it in Syria on a wall in the Dura-Europos church, one of the oldest Christian churches in the world. Another ancient picture of Jesus, as a beardless young man, was found in the Roman Catacombs. By 400 C.E., most artists were depicting Jesus with a beard ....

Jewish men took care of their beards by trimming them and putting oil on them. Easton’s Bible Dictionary explains, “It was a part of a Jew’s daily toilet to anoint his beard with oil and perfume”

“It is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on Aaron’s beard, down on the collar of his robe.” (Psalms 133:2) [source]​

Oz

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Do you know what I find interesting, all the comments about not conforming to ‘ the world ‘ - I would challenge any one writing in this forum to show me that they ‘ Never ‘ conform to the world in any shape or form - Hmmm wonder what Jesus would write in the sand .................
@Rita In terms of what each individual Christian does, while there are general moral and spiritual principles from the Word which are abiding indeed, there are also matters which belong to the individual conscience, which is I think part of the message of Romans 14. In the end each believer has individual liberty also; whether or not others deign to "agree" or "disagree", it's really the business of the individual before God, if the matter concerned is not directly injurious to Biblical doctrine and sound morals.

Reactions: Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Josho,

Have you ever wondered if Jesus had a beard? You may already have an idea of what Jesus looked like based on a movie, picture, or crucifix. Though Jesus is portrayed with a beard doesn’t mean he had one. Researchers and archeologists haven’t discovered any pictures or sculptures of Jesus that date back to the time of his birth and resurrection.

The earliest pictures of Jesus date from 200-300 years after his birth. The oldest is a painting from 235 C.E. which shows Jesus with a beard. Archeologists discovered it in Syria on a wall in the Dura-Europos church, one of the oldest Christian churches in the world. Another ancient picture of Jesus, as a beardless young man, was found in the Roman Catacombs. By 400 C.E., most artists were depicting Jesus with a beard ....

Jewish men took care of their beards by trimming them and putting oil on them. Easton’s Bible Dictionary explains, “It was a part of a Jew’s daily toilet to anoint his beard with oil and perfume”

“It is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on Aaron’s beard, down on the collar of his robe.” (Psalms 133:2) [source]​

Oz
FYI: "I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting." (Isaiah 50.6) Hard to say Scripturally that the Lord Jesus did not have a beard.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Did you find the ones who did not shave any less attractive, or manly?

What are you accusing this member of doing by your question? Are you suggesting that he, as a younger person, sampled the offerings available.

ROFLOL :p

Reactions: Nancy