Being 'Born Again'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fuddy

May 6, 2022
Blueridge Mts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grailhunter - about 2nd Peter 2:20... what does "overcome" mean to you, precisely? A complete and final acquiescence to the old corrupt ways a person thought and did before coming to Christ?
Can one who falls back into the old sins for a while, but then comes to his senses and is convicted of the awful wrongness of those sins, still genuinely repent and be forgiven by God and restored to Life in Him?
Jesus told Peter to, essentially, keep on forgiving his brother who sinned against him, IF that brother sincerely repented.
Is God, who is supposed to be our example, then willing to do the same for us?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grailhunter - about 2nd Peter 2:20... what does "overcome" mean to you, precisely? A complete and final acquiescence to the old corrupt ways a person thought and did before coming to Christ?

"If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.” Geneses 4:7

Can one who falls back into the old sins for a while, but then comes to his senses and is convicted of the awful wrongness of those sins, still genuinely repent and be forgiven by God and restored to Life in Him?
This is part of an answer to a OSAS question, where Behold is asking me if I have sinned.
You have sinned, since you were saved., Grailhunter.
My response...
And that is the problem with debating OSAS ..... getting involved and reasoning with something as Ludacris as OSAS....it is a new heresy, with roots that spread out along the surface. It does not make sense at any level and some say because it makes no sense then that proves it is of God...but what it really is , is a religion of non-sense. Whether it be OSAS or Calvinism.

Be good and do good was how Christ lead His life and it is my motto.
Salvation is secure but not guaranteed regardless.
We all sin and we ask forgiveness and Christ forgives and forgets.....but for your average Christian those sins are like cussing after we stub our toe or occasionally drinking too much. Not rape or child molestation or murder or wife or child abuse or drug abuse....Most Christians are pretty boring sinners. Not much to forgive. And most Christians know that Good Deeds are important. Look at what happened to those in the parable of the sheep and the goats that did not help others....they went to hell? More ways than one to go to hell. Good Deeds do not save you but not doing Good Deeds can send you to hell.....Your righteousness does not save you, but not being righteousness can send you to hell.

Falls back into the old sins after a while....I am assuming you are talking about a Christian that does this.
The best and most honest answer is that Christ is the judge of all things and He judges all things fairly and mercifully.
The reason for that, it would defeat His purpose to judge with an iron rod. He is trying to save people.

I am talking about your average Christian...not child molesters that barbecue their victims and eat them.
Where is that line of no return? Logically we can assume that evil people will go to hell... because if not... heaven will be full of evil ....and you might find the guy next to you at the heavenly banquet table pouring ketchup on your arm as he says....I could not find any kids so you will have to due.

Last edited:

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Most people do not believe in once saved.....sin all you want and go to heaven.

Correct that is not what OSAS is.

there is no part of the Bible or Christianity that is about sin all you want and go to heaven.

Agree...

Christ did not go to cross to start a religion of sin.

Agree again

OSAS is a corruption of the scriptures, a heresy that can lead people to hell.

Dont agree...

By the way in case you didn't notice, this thread is about being born again !!!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Be my guest...

LOL I know when I am being baited! LOL

First off there is no real agreement on this and a lot of disagreement.

Mostly what I see here is people talking about born again with little or no scriptural backing. And it is common to take a term that is in the Bible but does not have a real definitive explaination and adjust it to their own beliefs.

People put different significances to the various aspects of the process of salvation. For example some believe that belief in Christ is enough for salvation and born again and the rest is not necessary. Concerned with the question of what if you die before you can repent or be baptized. Of course I believe that is the reason we see such an urgency to be baptized in the Bible.

Christ said Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Some believe that this mean born of the water during deliver and the Spirit. I disagree.

Some believe that it is a special category of being saved....and I say you would need a popup indicator for that and beside it is more like the "elect" concept of the Calvinists.

Paul called Christians saints as in all, no definition and I believe all Christian are saints and born again. The only way this cannot be true is if the person was faking it from the beginning, in which case he was not a Christian or born again. Beyond that you get into experiential sanctification which is not the topic at hand.

As far as I am concerned "being born again" is the most significant event that can happen to a Christian, but it is not wrapped up in one event...it includes the whole process of salvation. Act 2:38 Can you be born again if you know nothing of Christianity....you would not know what to repent and merely taking a dip in a tub is not going to accomplish this.

The process of salvation....
You learn about Christ and Christianity
You decided to place your faith in Christ as the Son of God and Savior. You believe that faith in Christ can save you.
Your lesson in Christianity teaches you what you need to repent of and make the decision to not turn on your vomit of your prior life.

At that point the next most significant event is Baptism...but what is it and what happens and what does it do?

We get a lesson in baptism from John the Baptist. John performed the baptism for the remission of sins.
John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. Mark 1:4 People went out to him from all of Jerusalem and the countryside of Judea. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River. Mark 1:5
Before the arrival of Jesus, John preached a baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel. Act 13:24

I baptize you with water for repentance, but after me will come One more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. Matthew 3:11

So for me the Christian baptism involves repentance and the forgiveness of sins.

So then....Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. Romans 6:4

And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit, who lives in you. Romans 8:11

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2nd Corinthians 5:17

knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; Romans 6:6

So I believe that the person that goes down in that water during baptism is not the same person....as far as God is concerned, physically or spiritually. As far as God is concerned, that never existed. No memory of person and or sins. The person that comes up out of that water is an new person....a new creature....a clean soul....with the slate whipped clean and thrown away. I say thrown away because "the slate" was a tally of sins we had committed against God the Father. So then the Grace of Christ presents us before the Father as blameless, and our sins from that point on are between us and Yeshua...

At that instant we are sinless....the funny is that in early Christianity people would get baptized just before they died so they would be sinless on Judgment Day...not sure if that works LOL

Either way, our journey with Christ then begins...from their we work out our salvation with fear and trembling...Philippians 2:12 Knowing that we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad. 2nd Corinthians 5:10

But what about the Holy Spirit!? Well some believe it occurs after you come out of the water at baptism. But the bible says it occurs when we come to believe in Christ. I agree with this as a whole....but baptism may have a special signicance....an new person to guide that has fully taken on the faith. I will leave that as my opinion.

Our journey with Christ starts as sinless born again Christians. But we are going to sin and....If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1st John 1:9

P.S You might want to take a look at the Gospel of John chapter 6....Not sure how it would work out arriving on Judgment Day with no life in you and had not abide in Christ....your call.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct that is not what OSAS is.

Agree...

Agree again

Dont agree...

By the way in case you didn't notice, this thread is about being born again !!!

So you believe heaven will be full of evil! I think it is hilarious!

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
What about 2 and 3.

Can being born again be reversed?

Does being born again require a surrender of the will to God?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Reversed is a wrong concept. Losing your salvation is a wrong concept. Once you are a Christian, you are a Christian. You fall under the authority of Christ. He has redeemed you, you belong to Him. Now whether He judges you to Heaven or Hell is up to Him. That is where a lot people want to ignore all the warnings by the Apostles about the sins that will prevent you from inheriting the kingdom of God. The Apostles are writing to Christian churches and warning them that they could go to Hell for sinning. It does not matter if it is Christ or the Apostles, it is all over the New Testament. Christ is not tolerant to sins or evil and they will not be rewarded with heaven. The Christians that He judges to hell were initially saved.

Excuse the example of a lifeguard but, he can save you from drowning. But that does not mean that you cannot run to the deep end of the pool and jump in and drown yourself. And it does not change the fact that you were initially saved.

Does being born again require a surrender of the will to God?[/QUOTE]

Surrender of will is more like the the Islam belief. The word Islam literally means "submission" in Arabic. We choose to believe in Christ and be obedient to Christ of our own free-will. Now the Apostles considered themselves slaves to Christ or bond servants ....but they took that on by their own free will. And by our own free-will we can choose to live a sinful lifestyle and we will pay for that on Judgment Day.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What about 2 and 3.

No. Being God's people means we will live forever...BUT...what are we being saved to? In a great house there are both vessels of honour and vessels of dishonour. ALL who call on the name of the Lord will be saved.
However, not everyone who is born from above finishes the race. Some will be disqualified. There isn't a happy ending for those who go no further than to accept the free stuff from God. We will all be judged by what we have done with what we have been given. Outer darkness is the place of rejection for believers who were not acceptable to God. It is the place of hypocrites.

Does being born again require a surrender of the will to God?
The key word here is "require." Being born again into the eternal reality is by the will of God not men. Since the initial salvation is a gift nothing is required at this first step. However, God requires a surrender to His will for the subsequent step of entering into Him...putting on Christ. That will cost us everything. To be His disciple (in the eternal realm of the kingdom) means leaving everything in this temporal world behind.

Reactions: faithfulness

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hear varied opinions about what it means to be 'born again'

1. Is it necessary for salvation ?
2. Does it involve a surrender of the will to Jesus ?
3. Can it be reversed ?
4. Does being born again require repentance ?
5. Does it guarantee eternal life ?
6. When were the apostles 'born again' ?

Rebirth is coming alive after being dead. No one who is dead in sin has life with God.

Repentance is the mind change where we repudiate the flesh man of Adam, and receive a new mind from Christ, a new creation.

We did not birth ourselves, we do not unbirth ourselves. Can you stop being your parents offspring? No.

Rebirth is being given eternal life, as our new life is Christ's life in us. We are united to Christ, immersed into Him, and He is Life.

The disciples, we're not told whether it was when Jesus breathed on them, or on Pentacost, or another moment in time. I personally think it was was when Jesus breathed on them, saying, "Receive ye the Holy Spirit".

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK someone comes to you with no biblical knowledge saying they had a dream about Jesus and are fully convinced they must become a Christian and they are clearly under conviction.

How would you guide them to becoming born again?

Remember they are unfamiliar with Christian language and culture.

What then are the fundamental steps needed to become born again?

I'd have to say this cannot be anticipated, and we need to be Spirit led as we speak.

I'd take them to John chapter 3 and begin to teach them, pending whatever the Spirit may want to do.

I think the correct way is to bring them to the Bible.

Much love!

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
No. Being God's people means we will live forever...BUT...what are we being saved to? In a great house there are both vessels of honour and vessels of dishonour. ALL who call on the name of the Lord will be saved.

Vessels of dishonour is a reference to the unsaved.

Receiving eternal life is a promise - the idea of losing it makes Jesus a liar.

27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.”

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK so far so good...

Here is a few more questions.

This is a focus on what happens when we are born again.

1. What becomes 'new' ???
2. What happens to our sin from that point on ???
3. Is our salvation 'recorded' ???
4. What is our new spiritual status ???
5. What keeps us saved ???
6. Should we be immediately baptised ???
7. What does baptism achieve that being born again didnt ???

Being born from God is becoming a new person. The man from Adam goes into the tomb with Jesus, and a new child of God comes out, as it were.

Our sin remains where it's always been, in the man from Adam.

Sin is not imputed, therefore our names are not blotted from God's Book.

Our new spiritual status is Alive in Christ. He never changes, and never condemns us, and we remain alive in Him.

Being immersed into Christ's death IS our baptism. The Apostle to the Gentiles tell us that there is One Baptism, and and tells us we are baptized into Christ. That baptism is what brings about our rebirth, not water.

Much love!

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Being born from God is becoming a new person. The man from Adam goes into the tomb with Jesus, and a new child of God comes out, as it were.

Our sin remains where it's always been, in the man from Adam.

Sin is not imputed, therefore our names are not blotted from God's Book.

Our new spiritual status is Alive in Christ. He never changes, and never condemns us, and we remain alive in Him.

Being immersed into Christ's death IS our baptism. The Apostle to the Gentiles tell us that there is One Baptism, and and tells us we are baptized into Christ. That baptism is what brings about our rebirth, not water.

Much love!
"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." (2 Corinthians 5.17). :)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just to explain, I think that a good understanding of what happens at rebirth may help to solve the OSAS issue.

A pivotal point is the surrender of the will to Jesus.

I have come to the conclusion that at rebirth we give Him ultimate control of our lives from that point forward.

Folks who think they are saved without ever surrendering their will may have to reconsider.

Comments on this appreciated also....
We have our perceptions of ourselves, and from those perceptions, we form opinions. So we have opinions of our perceptions of ourselves. Do you see how tenuous this is? Maybe it looks like my will is still defective, but that's confusing the old man with the new man. The new man is created patterned after God, in righteousness and true holiness. He will is according to God.

But we need to have our minds renewed to think/choose/feel according to how the new man is, and not according to the old. The old man doubts, the new man trusts. The old man fears, the new man is at peace. The old man schemes, the new man waits. Like that.

When we are fearfully scheming to meet our need, that's the old man, and we need to learn how to recognize these times. I think many Christians, for lack of understanding, spend much or all their time not really realizing that they are slugging it out in the flesh, determined to do well, but relying on their own character then the controlling power of the Holy Spirit.

When I try to control my behavior, I do a very imperfect job. But when I disregard my behavior, and instead simply focus on communion with God, my behavior is as it should be, not by my effort, it's the new default state, but be it to you according to your faith.

Much love!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Vessels of dishonour is a reference to the unsaved.

27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.”
That's an opinion not supported by the Bible. Have you heard of the lake of fire by chance? The wicked are destroyed. But the saved live on. In a great house there are both vessels of honour AND vessels of dishonour.
When the sons of the kingdom are cast away or spit out of Jesus' mouth...where do you think they go?

ALL who call on the Lord will be saved. The question is...where will they go?

Jude 11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.

12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

Reactions: faithfulness

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Good point.

And, That the deceived always try to present "ETERNAL LIFE" .. as Temporary, based on their self effort of some type, as their selling point, as their theology, is a wonder.

And that the deceived, cannot bear the idea of Giving Jesus all the credit due Him alone, for saving them and keeping them saved, is the biggest wonder.

Reactions: Pearl