Being in Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Blessings to all... I have not been as active lately, pondering some things... And I've been thinking hard about one topic that was discussed! :)

That topic would be the deity of Christ.

Here is a thought to start this off. We are told both that our life must be hidden in God, and that we must be in Christ. Are those two different things? If being in Christ is being in another man who simply has found favor with God, then we are IN someone in whom nothing good dwells! What advantage and power can one draw from this?

Of course, none.

Christ did say 'do not call me good', and that is because he IS fully man, and thus nothing good dwells in the man Jesus Christ.

But he is also fully God, otherwise, being IN him grants one access to no power to be pleasing to God!

In his love...

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You cannot split the deity of Jesus and the man. He is fully human and fully god. Doctrine of the Incarnation.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
You cannot split the deity of Jesus and the man. He is fully human and fully god. Doctrine of the Incarnation.

thumbsup2.gif

Vengle

Sep 22, 2011
Ohio
Blessings to all... I have not been as active lately, pondering some things... And I've been thinking hard about one topic that was discussed! :)

Here is a thought to start this off. We are told both that our life must be hidden in God, and that we must be in Christ. Are those two different things? If being in Christ is being in another man who simply has found favor with God, then we are IN someone in whom nothing good dwells! What advantage and power can one draw from this?

Of course, none.

Christ did say 'do not call me good', and that is because he IS fully man, and thus nothing good dwells in the man Jesus Christ.

But he is also fully God, otherwise, being IN him grants one access to no power to be pleasing to God!

In his love...

I like the fact that you do at least try to reason on this. That is required of any of us before we can figure anything out. Many do not try at all to reason as you are doing, so that is very commendable of you.

Here is the key. We are as vessels that can be filled either by our own knowledge and wisdom (which in that case nothing good dwells in us) or by God's knowledge and wisdom (which in that case God's goodness dwells in us).

Now relate all that Jesus said about the word he spoke not being his but his Father's. Jesus said not to call him good as the credit for the good in him belongs to who?

Now ask yourself if this is really true as you said: "If being in Christ is being in another man who simply has found favor with God, then we are IN someone in whom nothing good dwells!"

Do you see that as a wife is sanctified in her husband by virtue of her husband's relationship with God, so also we are sanctified in Christ?

Do you understand that is based on the man being the glory of God but the woman being the glory of the man?

I hope my not quoting the exact scriptures pertaining to these things is OK by you as I know you know them and thus am leaving you free to exercise their recall in your own mind. That actually benefits you more than my stating every detail for you.

Vengle

Sep 22, 2011
Ohio
This is probably a good time for you to also ask yourself why sometimes we are spoken of being (Romans 8:1) “in Christ Jesus” and at other times he is spoken of as (Romans 8:10) “Christ be in you”.

Romans 12:5 “So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.”

Genesis 2:24 "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."

Matthew 19:5 "And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?"

Matthew 19:6 "Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."

Mark 10:8 "And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh."

Ephesians 5:31 "For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh."

Do you see that it is all a picture of the marriage of a man and a woman? And that is how we are in Christ and he in us?

Do you see then that is why this is such a serious sin? 1 Corinthians 6:16 "What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh."

We are joining Christ's body to a harlot when we do that. Not a thing he will take lightly.

1 Corinthians 6:19 "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?"

1 Corinthians 11:7b "... he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man."

Christ's body is that temple of God. God's goodness inhabits that temple like liquid fills a vessel.

The temple was a dwelling place for God by His spirit. The spirit in a man either homes to and synchronizes with God's spirit or it errs and goes independent of God.

Christ's spirit never errs. Christ's spirit is always homed in on and in sync with his Father's spirit.

Thus, Romans 8:9 "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."

Do you now see that is because if we have not truly become one as in wed to Christ one body with him then our spirit does not home to and sync with God's spirit as his does?

A wife is saved by her loyalty to her husband's spirit. Therefore if her husband's spirit is directed where it ought to be directed he saves both himself and his wife.

And the children are also sanctified by their loyalty to the spirit of their parents so that they benefit in that the husband (their immediate father) has his spirit directed where it belongs in God.

Vengle

Sep 22, 2011
Ohio
Prentis, Because I have confidence in you that the spirit I believe I see in you is genuine and does try honestly I am going to take this picture one step further with you for now. I believe you can handle it.

1 Corinthians 6:19 "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?"

It is so easy to assume that is telling us Jesus' body is God. But is it telling us Jesus' body is God? Or, only that we have Jesus' body given us of God?

There are two key scriptures that will answer that question for you.

Matthew 19:6 "Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."

John 6:65 "And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father."

Do you see the Father offering His Son for a marriage agreement?

Is it or is it not true that though Jesus not be God you have his body by God?

Jake

Aug 21, 2011
Western US

Of course, none.

In his love...
Good subject, bro!
My life is hidden in Christ and it is no longer my life I am living but His life! May we all attain to His full stature!
peace -

Reactions: Episkopos

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Good subject, bro!
My life is hidden in Christ and it is no longer my life I am living but His life! May we all attain to His full stature!
peace -

Amen! :)

It is both that we are in Christ, and he is in us!

If we walk in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Christ cleanses us from all sin... May we come to this fellowship!

Makes me think of what the Lord says to Hermas in one of his visions... This is quite something, speaking of the church of Christ!

"Now here about the stones that go into the building [the church]. The stones that are square and white and fit at their joints, these are the apostles and bishops and teachers and deacons who have walked according to the holiness of God and have ministered to the elect of God as bishops and teachers and deacons with purity and reverence; some have fallen asleep, while others are still living. And they have always been harmonious with one another and at peace with one another, and they have listened to one another. For this reason their joints fittogether in the building of the tower."

Today everyone is building their own tower... The baptists in one field, the evangelicals in another, and the catholics in another (that one was built a long time ago!)... Nobody agrees, nobody has this unity of spirit... So some say only our kind is right... Others say we are all okay... The truth is we are all sort of messed up!

But quietly, with the weak things of this world, God his building his. God is preparing those who will lead his church, his remnant. God is building HIS church. Quietly, the Lord is preparing a remnant, who will walk according to the holiness of God, holding shalem in tamim, holiness in purity, truth in righteousness! May we be ready and not stumble at the stumbling-stone when the Lord comes in his people. :)

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia

Of course, none.

In his love...

I'm not sure I quite follow the thought of the OP, I think you're confirming that Jesus is, in fact, God! But one thing did catch my attention...

You say "Christ did say 'do not call me good', and that is because he IS fully man, and thus nothing good dwells in the man Jesus Christ."

The reference here is Mark...
And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.
(Mark 10:18 ESV)

The interesting thing is this...many people, both then and today, reject that Jesus was God, that he even claimed to be God. They say that He was a good man, a wise man, a man of truth. This is so totally wrong! Jesus claimed to be God...He did it many times, that's why they crucified Him! So that leaves us with only two options. He was (and is) God, or He was a dirty rotten liar! Jesus was making just this point in the verse above. Do not call Him 'good', while thinking Him just a man, a wise teacher. Only call Him 'good' if His claim to be God is correct, because only God is good!

I just found this highly interesting!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
If we believe in (into) Jesus the way he meant it (faith) then we bear the fruit that he does. That is the test of who truly believes into him.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we believe in (into) Jesus the way he meant it (faith) then we bear the fruit that he does. That is the test of who truly believes into him.

I agree.