1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Believing in yourself means having the courage to stand on your own two feet

Discussion in 'Non-Christian General Discussion' started by Animal2692, May 10, 2022.

1. Animal2692

Animal2692 Member

Faith:
    Other Faith
    United States
    I'll say this, if it changes..then it is not consciousness. You conflate consciousness with the mind. I'm not talking about conscience or mind, but consciousness only. The medium with which we can know anything at all. It's like the screen onto which a movie is playing.

I have actually tried to find consciousness, I can't. I can't see it anywhere, yet it just is. I cannot find what I call "I" as any object of perception.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  2. Pearl

Pearl Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    Many people today have created their god SELF and even Christians can sometimes put self above Christ. I think Animal is deluded and has no idea about real Christianity because of some bad experience when he was forced into it as a youngster. He hasn't just turned his back on that branch of the church that hurt him but he has also turned his back on Jesus and the God of creation. Shame.

3. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Hello Animal2692,
    "Time is an illusion"

Well if that is so, I'd like to see you get it back ;)
    The one thing God NEVER gives back to humans is ...time.

Pearl likes this.
  4. Animal2692

Animal2692 Member

Faith:
    Other Faith
    United States
    False. I could not get on board since the day I learned about Christianity, I never had a bad experience because I never subscribed to begin with. My parents never took Christianity seriously so it's not like they were fundamentalists who pushed it on me as a kid. They would only go to church to socialize. There's also many Christians who deconstruct after many, many years of being extremely devoted to the faith. Of course Christians will shun those who leave the faith as "never being true Christians" or "hating God" because they can't seem to fathom that one can reason their way out of faith and be an atheist without having to hate God. This is simply outgroup bias where we look down on those who aren't part of our group. The Christians do it, the Muslims do it, even the atheists do it. Now you might ask, am I not doing it too where I look down on Christians? Not exactly. I like to think of it as looking down on ideas, not people.

The only bad experience I had with Christianity is seeing the bad experiences of other Christians. So did I really have a bad experience personally? I haven't read the entire Bible but read enough to have a conversation about it. There's atheists and ex pastors/priests who have actually read the Bible cover to cover multiple times so even the argument of "Well you didn't even read the Bible fully" is out.

5. Animal2692

Animal2692 Member

Faith:
    Other Faith
    United States
    What is your experience of time when you don't think about it? You're not thinking of the past or future. What are you left with?

6. Wrangler

Wrangler Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Mind and consciousness are synonyms. IF you are parsing them, how are you differentiating them?

7. Wrangler

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Not being consciously aware of reality does not change reality. It is not time that changes but your conscious awareness of time changing.

8. Animal2692

Animal2692 Member

Faith:
    Other Faith
    United States
    Mind and consciousness are not synonyms. Why? Because you are conscious or aware of your thoughts. Consciousness is just a knowing light, that's it. Without it, there would be nothing to illuminate this entire experience right now which you call life. Your mind is a bundle of thoughts and accumulated information strung together. You are aware of your mind because you can literally see a thought pop into your awareness. You know that you are thinking. So who is it that knows that you are thinking? If you are aware of your mind, then you are not the mind since you are aware of it from a distance in the same way that you look at a tree from a distance. Who are you truly then?

The silent awareness/consciousness behind the mind/thoughts. What you are is beyond all concepts, forms, labels, and ideas. 'Consciousness' is just a pointer. Even that is seen.

9. Animal2692

Animal2692 Member

Faith:
    Other Faith
    United States
    Everything appears in consciousness. Nothing can exist outside of awareness. Even if you're not there to be aware of a particular object, that object does not exist by itself separate from the awareness of it.

10. Wrangler

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    You cannot believe existence depends on you being consciously aware of it. Are you seriously claiming existence begins and end with your consciousness?

11. Animal2692

Animal2692 Member

Faith:
    Other Faith
    United States
    Can the waves of an ocean exist without the ocean? Can a movie be seen without a screen?

We often say how beautiful something like a flower or the moon is. But you know what's truly beautiful? The seeing which illuminates those things.

In the end, all is one...appearing as a multiplicity of forms. That oneness, is love. There is just consciousness and its activity or better put, we are each a part of God. Your consciousness is not different from mine. We have different minds which includes preferences and opinions...but on a deeper level we share the same consciousness.

12. Davy

Davy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    And every time I hear someone claim they can believe in theirself, I think of Satan's temptation towards Eve in God's Garden of Eden, lying to Eve telling her she can be her own god.

13. Wrangler

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I'm sorry animal, I did not catch this post until now.

You seem to be a victim of violating the law of identity, lost in an incomprehensible collective of oneness.

Notice the Freudian slip of the change from definite to indefinite article from one sentence to the next. Also notice the false connection you are making of wave with an ocean.

Waves exist without water. And if you don't watch a movie in one screen, you can watch it on another. However, you are falsely supposing your individual conscious is tied to all consciousness. And even here, you are gravely mistaken. Existence does not depend on consciousness. Rather, it is consciousness that depends on existence.

14. robert derrick

robert derrick Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Ah, so you are simply a New Age guru.

Well, anyone an illuminate an ocean, but if you can illuminate an outhouse. Now that would be divine of you.

And yes, trees do make sounds when falling in the woods. They just don't cry out for help.