Best way to win converts

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is widespread uniformity of belief necessary for someone who is uncertain about religion to develop certainty about religion?

I am an outlier among Christians because my beliefs are monolartist. Monolarty means belief in many gods but adherence to only one; it differs from polytheism, which means belief in many gods and adherence to many. What would these beliefs entail for a Christian like me? Basically, I believe in God (from the Bible) but also think gods from other religions like Hinduism are real.

How did I come to monolartist beliefs? I don't really want to share right now. There is also the fact that I've gotten into trouble on different Christian message board communities for thinking other infinite beings exist (the mods on those sites were apparently very fragile).

I'm confident enough with my own religion and beliefs to the extent of not having to look down on, rebuke, or judge other religions. In other words, I feel plenty secure with about my beliefs that I don't have to make insensitive remarks about religions that believe in other gods, claiming they're "misled" by demons or something. So again, I have to ask why it is necessary to have uniformity of religion among all humanity to be absolutely sure about religion?
Religion is what we do for God. Salvation is what He does for us. No one is saved by religion, but by knowing God.

3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.
John 17:3

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It’s through showing kindness, mercy, and love that we can win the hearts of nonbelievers.

True, but remember non christian cults do exactly the same thing.

Here's the difference:

Quote: Leave the results with God. We're responsible for sharing the Gospel, but only God can convert the soul. Having done your best, let Him do the rest. And if you ever feel you've botched the job, think of Edward Kimball. He was determined to win his Sunday school class to Christ, including a teenager named Dwight Moody who tended to fall asleep on Sundays. His heart pounding, Kimball entered the store where the young man worked. "I put my hand on his shoulder, and as I leaned over I placed my foot upon a shoebox. I asked him to come to Christ." It didn't seem to go well, and Kimball left thinking he had botched the job. Moody, however, left the store that day a new person and eventually became the most prominent evangelist in America during his generation.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church denomination I attend weekly is United Methodist. They are generally progressive with their views and theology. I can tell by how they speak on various political subjects like social justice: Last week, our pastor made sure to denounce racism and call it antithetical to Christian teachings. It’s true because the Bible says so in Galatians 3:28. However, I felt like he was preaching to the choir because nobody in our congregation lynches black people, hurts black people, or treats other races as inferior. But it’s okay: Progressives like to preach tolerance, so there is no harm no foul.

Not every United Methodist preacher is progressive, though. Some can be conservative. Nothing wrong with that (I am after all a Republican), but it can be bad when taken too far.

Years ago our congregation hired a very conservative preacher, but unfortunately he was a conservative of the fundamentalist variety. He made many unfriendly remarks about other denominations like Catholics and Mormons, saying they aren’t real Christians. One time he gave a sermon about how Islam is a fake religion and concluded that Christianity—or at least his version of Christianity—is the only correct religion “because of our experiences.” I thought this was a very weak argument given that Hindus and Muslims can also have very impactful spiritual experiences that make them feel like their religion is correct as well. No doubt our fundamentalist pastor’s thinking abilities weren’t too astute.

He quit preaching at our church after a few months. No one knows why, but I suspect it was because the elders forced him to resign for continually making derisive remarks about other Christian denominations and other religions.

His way of preaching went against Bible principles to love one another and show respect for others despite their differences. This teaching makes sense: If Christians show bigotry and narrow-mindedness, nonbelievers won’t want to convert. It’s through showing kindness, mercy, and love that we can win the hearts of nonbelievers.
I too am a United Methodist. The big issue in United Methodism, it would seem to me, is homosexuality. It is splitting the church in half. God told us homosexuality is an abomination, but "progressives" say it's not. So do we stand by God or do we stand by "progressives"? I think we should stand by God.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We try to win converts, but no one is saved but by receiving the gospel. The only method of true conversion is preaching the word of God, the source of faith, and delivering the gospel to those prepared to receive it. The Holy Spirit quickens His word to change the heart.

Jews win converts, Muslims win converts, Buddhists win converts, but only God changes the heart, and His Spirit is given through belief in the person of Jesus Christ and His resurrection. The cross is foolishness to men, but God opens the ears to truth and quickens our spirit with His word.

63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
John 6:63

All true, of course , and the best example of what happens is the example of “ Lydia, the Seller Of Purple “, revealed in Acts 16—— God “opened her heart” to hear and RECEIVE the Gospel......”NOBODY comes to God lest the Spirit draw them” ......The Initiative for Salvation begins and belongs with God

Reactions: michaelvpardo

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All true, of course , and the best example of what happens is the example of “ Lydia, the Seller Of Purple “, revealed in Acts 16—— God “opened her heart” to hear and RECEIVE the Gospel......”NOBODY comes to God lest the Spirit draw them” ......The Initiative for Salvation begins and belongs with God
I'd forgotten that passage. Thank you for the reference.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are concerned with “ Religion”—- Religion says “DO”.....
Strangely enough...God also says to “DO”. Religion is merely a mode of worship. It can dictate to people about what to believe and what what to do in order for their worship to be acceptable to God. It’s up to the individuals to make up their own minds about how to serve God as disciples of his son.

The scriptures tell us how God wanted to be worshipped...and so did Jesus.
Nowhere is this demonstrated more strongly that with ancient Israel. Jesus was Jewish and followed that way of worship as the Hebrew Scriptures prescribed......what does that tell us about God?
He is a God of order and he chose one nation to serve him exclusively and to produce his Messiah.....the only way to become part of God’s nation if one was not born “Jewish”, was to join themselves to his people and to adopt the mode of worship that he prescribed. These “converts” (called proselytes) were not free to formulate their own mode of worship, but had to leave all former religious beliefs behind and to worship Yahweh exclusively as Jews did according to their scriptures.
Are Christians to do any less?

I am concerned with “ Christianity” —-Christianity says “ DONE”
Since when is that true? When are we “done” if Jesus said that we must “endure to the end” in order to be “saved”. (Matthew 24:13; Matthew 10:22; Philippians 2:12) What are we enduring?

Jesus was the One that defined “ The Will Of The Father”.....He could have said what YOU wanted Him to say, but He didn’t——Your argument is with Him—— not me....
Nice dodge....but what is the will of the Father....? This is an important question because Jesus rejects those who fail to do the will of the Father.....so please tell us what you believe it is? (Matthew 7:21-23)

You want to obey EVERYTHING He taught? OK.....sell everything you own and give it to the poor....If you have two cars and I ask for one of them, give me both of them.....If I slap you, do nothing but offer me the other cheek....if you look at something that is sinful, pluck out your eye.....I could go on....
OK, so you are going to extremes here, but according to the apostle Paul, the goal was to achieve an “equality” so that all had enough to live without poverty robbing some of their means to even survive.

2 Corinthians 8:12-15...
“For if the willingness is present, it is acceptable according to what a person has, not according to what he does not have. For this is not for the relief of others and for your hardship, but by way of equality— is at this present time your abundance will serve as assistance for their need, so that their abundance also may serve as assistance for your need, so that there may be equality; as it is written: “ The one who had gathered much did not have too much, and the one who had gathered little did not have too little.” (NASB)

Jesus never asked for extremes. But what about our obedience in the things that are not extreme?
When it comes to morality, are we following through on Christ’s teachings about marriage and divorce?
Are we supporting the bloodshed of war and engaging in your nation’s political activities? (Matthew 5:43-44; John 17:16; 18:36)
Are we celebrating pagan holidays as if God doesn’t mind that we are mixing true worship with false worship? (2 Corinthians 8:14-18)

If you aren’t able to these things that Jesus commanded ( in a nutshell, you are to be “PERFECT” ),there is a “ Loop- Hole”.......It’s called “ GRACE” ......you can obtain that Grace by simply Believing the Gospel .....you can find that in 1Cor15:1-4......Do that and God will put His Spirit in you and you will “ find yourself” doing the things that please God ....
Many of those things may not be what you expected them to be.....
You really think there are “loopholes” in anything Christ taught? “Grace” is not a license to sin. Those who think so are going to be horribly disappointed IMO.

What does 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 say....?
“Now I make known to you, brothers and sisters, the gospel which I preached to you, which you also received, in which you also stand, by which you also are saved, if you hold firmly to the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I handed down to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures”. (NASB)

So, it’s vital to remain in obedience to Christ’s teachings otherwise we have “believed in vain”.

I do not see your arguments as scripturally supported....

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
research with Protestant colored glasses!

Call it what you want...it just happens to be True.....

I could fill ten warehouses with a fraction of what the Catholics and “ Their” Glasses get Wrong about the Bible....Perhaps If you could spare some of the money that you might be using to buy somebody out of the Pretend Land Of Purgatory, I could sell you mine.....you really need them

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am trying to respond to Aunty Jane, but nothing is working correctly.... can’t cut and paste or do anything else.....working on the problem...I hope Dear Aunty can be patient .....apparently , I will have to wait awhile before I can get her straightened out....lol....

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Strangely enough...God also says to “DO”

Not when it comes to Salvation, and that is all that I am referring to here....Salvation is a Gift . The song has it right —- “NOTHING But The Blood” when it comes to Salvation.....go beyond that and you are a legalist and a Religionist....Anybody That Believes that the Shed Blood Of Jesus is “ Essential” for Salvation but not in and of itself “ Adequate” for Salvation and ADDS to the Gospel Of Grace ( 1Cor 15:1-4 ) with Anything is “ Fallen From Grace”...... read Gal 5......

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since when is that true? When are we “done” if Jesus said that we must “endure to the end” in order to be “saved”. (Matthew 24:13; Matthew 10:22; Philippians 2:12) What are we enduring?

1John5—— “...and who is it that endures? Only he that believes that Jesus is the Son Of God”.....

I think most Christians have that covered.....

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nice dodge....but what is the will of the Father....? This is an important question because Jesus rejects those who fail to do the will of the Father.....so please tell us what you believe it is? (Matthew 7:21-23)

What “ dodge?” I repeated exactly what Jesus said about His Father’s Will.....I know there is something within you that wants to DO MORE ( Filthy Rags ) ,But Jesus said Simply to Believe in the One that God sent .....why do you insist upon more? Why do you argue with Jesus ? The Disciples asked the question and Jesus provided the answer that I am quoting....

God wants us to do many things AFTER we are Saved —- Chief among them are to add many things to our faith like kindness , patience , self control, etc.......He also want us to obey the Law as it exists today.....”Take on the Burdens Of others, thus obeying the LAW of Christ” ....and of course Jesus wants us to obey His Commandments—— there are ONLY Two—- #1 Believe. #2 Love
One other command we have us to Follow Paul.....Paul was God's “ Chosen Vessel” to explain Christian Doctrine this side of the Cross.....

One last thing .....God has also ordered us to “Rightly Divide” His Word......Most don’t bother timdo that ....it causes a lot if confusion that one sees on these threads.......

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus never asked for extremes.

Sure He did! Trusting in the actual Gospel That Saves is “ Foolishness” to the vast majority of people that have ever lived or are living today....Trusting in the Shed Blood Of Jesus Plus NOTHING to save a soul as opposed to getting saved because you are “ Good Enough” somehow? That Saving Insight is so “extreme”, so abhorrent to Wordly thinking , it takes a Miracle from God to get an Unsaved man to buy into it......the “ Miracle?” God sends His Holy Spirit to “ open your heart” to the reception of it....” Nobody comes , lest the Spirit draw him”......THAT is a Miracle.....THAT is “ Extreme”.....

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You really think there are “loopholes” in anything Christ taught? “Grace” is not a license to sin. Those who think so are going to be horribly disappointed IMO.

There are two ways to get to Heaven.....The first way is to live a life with no sin in it. None.

The second way, if you can’t do the first one , is to Believe the Gospel .....lets call it God’s “ Rescue Plan” if using the term “ Loop - Hole” rubs you the wrong way—- regardless of what we name it—- it’s the only thing that’s gonna work as far as Salvation is concerned .

Btw.....To the “ New Creation” , Sin has about as much appeal as sticking one’s hand in a fire....Who wants a “ License” to do that .....Please abandon That old Canard that Legalists love to throw out there because they reject the Grace of God— the only thing that ever Saved anyone....

You say we must continue to “ remain in Obedience”..... that is True , but one must realize that “ LOVE” is the Engine that drives Obedience.....NOT the fear of dropping into Hell every time we “ Stumble” or get “ caught up in sin”.....

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
.I hope Dear Aunty can be patient .....apparently , I will have to wait awhile before I can get her straightened out....lol....
I do hope you are not holding your breath waiting for that to happen......
omg
I'll order oxygen, shall I?

Strangely enough...God also says to “DO”

Not when it comes to Salvation, and that is all that I am referring to here....Salvation is a Gift . The song has it right —- “NOTHING But The Blood” when it comes to Salvation.....go beyond that and you are a legalist and a Religionist....Anybody That Believes that the Shed Blood Of Jesus is “ Essential” for Salvation but not in and of itself “ Adequate” for Salvation and ADDS to the Gospel Of Grace ( 1Cor 15:1-4 ) with Anything is “ Fallen From Grace”...... read Gal 5......
Well, that is just a little twisted IMO.....Salvation is a gift...but it is conditional. You have to qualify to receive it by following through on all the things Jesus taught. Life itself was conditional from day one. That little word "IF" was used to indicate that something more than just "believing" was necessary.

What did Jesus say in Matthew 7:21-23...

Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; leave Me, you who practice lawlessness.’"

This is telling us that claiming Jesus as your "Lord" (believing) is meaningless unless you are "DOING" the will of the Father.....
What are these ones "doing" that is rejected? They are 'prophesying and casting out demons, performing miracle...all in Jesus' name'....and yet he rebukes them as those he "never knew"....NEVER means "not ever".....how are they 'practicing lawlessness'?

James 2:18-20....
"But someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” 19 You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. 20 But are you willing to acknowledge, you foolish person, that faith without works is useless?"

This is the truth.....you are ignoring a lot of scripture....are you a "foolish person" who believes in faith without works?