Beyond good and evil

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I know really nothing about relativism, so I'll have to pass on that subject at the moment.
How about this then:

You say: "There is no such thing as right or wrong."

I say: "How do you know you are right about that?"

You say: "Because there are no absolutes".

I say: "Are you absolutely sure about that?"

You say: "Whatever a person believes that is their truth."

I say: "I believe that is a lie."

Wkpd: RELATIVISM

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't understand the preoccupation of this labelling stuff.
Lot of people don't seem to like labels but they say a lot in a very short amount of words and then the other person can ask for clarification stead of each conversation having to put out page after page of background the label gives a summary of basically where the person is coming from

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God as creator is the only one that can define right and wrong ,what is moral or immoral. The 10 commandments are just that very tool that we can use and see when understood correctly what is right and what is wrong

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
How about this then:

You say: "There is no such thing as right or wrong."

I say: "How do you know you are right about that?"

You say: "Because there are no absolutes".

I say: "Are you absolutely sure about that?"

You say: "Whatever a person believes that is their truth."

I say: "I believe that is a lie."

Wkpd: RELATIVISM
Did I say there was no right or wrong? Can you point out where I specifically claimed that, so may go back in time memory and boot myself.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
NO. Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is incurable; who can know it? In other words, the heart deceives itself. That is why we need concepts of good and evil to prevent us from being deceived by our own hearts.

Atheists are adamant that they live a good life (by their own reckoning) but their heart deceives them, so they do not know that they do not live a good life bearing in mind that a "good life" is a subjective idea.

One person may not see a problem taking home a pen from work but another might, so who is living a good life?
I didn't say anything about living outside God's concept of G & E. I said our concepts of good and evil (Human concepts)

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The OP confounded me. Is it a serious question?

What do you mean by the word "morally"? Are you asking if it is possible to be good outside the human concepts of good and evil?
I love that avatar. Is that kitty reading The Bible? Mine likes Alexander scourby reading psalm 119- sends her right off ;)

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love that avatar. Is that kitty reading The Bible? Mine likes Alexander scourby reading psalm 119- sends her right off ;)
The kitty said, "What is all this talk about living inside of ideas? You humans are strange. You're not living inside or outside of human concepts. You are living in the world. Get used to it."

Reactions: Nancy

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
How would you define "good" to be different than "right", and "bad" from "evil"?
Like anyone would after eating a extra large block of chocolate (It was very good at the beginning, but became really bad after they scoffed it all)

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah it is. Your beliefs will not let you see, hear, smell, taste and touch the way you are intended to do so.
That insult yours was
A) completely unneeded
B) made completely of your totally uninformed assumptions and blatant stereotyping
C) completely inaccurate.

I was/am trying to have a thoughtful and respectful conversation here (yes, I completely respect the fact that you're a agnostic and ain't going to list a finger to change that). But you've replied with insults and seemingly no interest in thoughtful conversation.

Reactions: Nancy

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
You just did as our concepts are living outside of God's concept of good and evil.
Actually. The Lord God specifically said that knowing both good or evil will destroy (Kill) you and your whole society.(Even touching the tree of knowledge of good and evil is going to far)

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
That insult yours was
A) completely unneeded
B) made completely of your totally uninformed assumptions and blatant stereotyping
C) completely inaccurate.

I was/am trying to have a thoughtful and respectful conversation here (yes, I completely respect the fact that you're a agnostic and ain't going to list a finger to change that). But you've replied with insults and seemingly no interest in thoughtful conversation.
Turn the other cheek?

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
@Entanglement , why are you posting on this forum?

If it's to have a productive conversation, then please ditch the insults and we can actually have a productive conversation.
Hey! I have been on the streets for the last 4 days living off food vans, and I return to this forum to find that a representative of the living God is still holding something against me. Can you kinda understand why I resist your beliefs about God, or not?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey! I have been on the streets for the last 4 days living off food vans, and I return to this forum to find that a representative of the living God is still holding something against me. Can you kinda understand why I resist your beliefs about God, or not?
"Resist your beliefs about God"?

Dude, I haven't once remotely pushed my beliefs on your. Quite the opposite actually:
I completely respect the fact that you're a agnostic and ain't going to list a finger to change that