Beyond good and evil

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My view's are that human beings invent concepts about right and wrong based on what their personal beliefs dictate, rather than what they actually know specifically what's really right or wrong for them.
So... in your mind if a father goes and rapes and beats his daughter, that... only wrong if some human decides it is wrong...?

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
So... in your mind if a father goes and rapes and beats his daughter, that... only wrong if some human decides it is wrong...?
No. I am telling you that it's what people believe that cause them to act that way. Why would you rape and beat a child if you know 100% it is wrong? Humans take those kinds of actions because their previous moral belief on the subject has become usurped by another belief at that time. But what about parents who force on their children what they believe is morally good for them? (Like forcing them to brush their teeth or suffer the consequences of no dessert the following night) So the child learns to resist forming healthy habits on the basis that doing what's healthy for themselves hurts.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
How else could God have even done what He did, concerning Christ and knowing our beginning to the end, without giving us the choice to love Him...He does not want robots. Free will is an awesome but dangerous gift!
As you say "It's a choice" So let people make their choice and don't interfere with their freewill.

Reactions: Nancy

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. I am telling you that it's what people believe that cause them to act that way. Why would you rape and beat a child if you know 100% it is wrong? Humans take those kinds of actions because their previous moral belief on the subject has become usurped by another belief at that time. But what about parents who force on their children what they believe is morally good for them? (Like forcing them to brush their teeth or suffer the consequences of no dessert the following night) So the child learns to resist forming healthy habits on the basis that doing what's healthy for themselves hurts.
I'm not asking you whether or not the rapist thought his actions were wrong.

I'm asking: were his actions wrong?
Is it intrinsically wrong for a father to rape and beat his daughter?
Or is such "wrongness" only a social construct?

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Far be it from me to EVER interfere with someones free will, even God won't do that!!
Really???

30 The king spake, and said, Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honour of my majesty?

31 While the word was in the king's mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, saying, O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee.

32 And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.

33 The same hour was the thing fulfilled upon Nebuchadnezzar: and he was driven from men, and did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till his hairs were grown like eagles' feathers, and his nails like birds' claws.

34 And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation:

35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I'm not asking you whether or not the rapist thought his actions were wrong.

I'm asking: were his actions wrong?
Is it intrinsically wrong for a father to rape and beat his daughter?
Or is such "wrongness" only a social construct?
I would say simply it is a action that is wrong (Not that it is evil) When humans determine good and evil based on what they believe, then how does that help them? You don't need a ancient manuscript to tell you raping a child is wrong, because of the evidence. Although the Bible isn't very specific about that subject at all. (But it does teach "Spare the rod, spoil the child")

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say simply it is a action that is wrong (Not that it is evil) When humans determine good and evil based on what they believe, then how does that help them?
I'm sorry, but you are continually refusing to answer my question.

A) Is the father beating and raping his daughter intrinsically evil?
B) Or is it only evil because some human declared it to be so and believes it to be so?

I do believe that such is intrinsically evil (A). If you do not, please state that your answer is B.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I'm sorry, but you are continually refusing to answer my question.

A) Is the father beating and raping his daughter intrinsically evil?
B) Or is it only evil because some human declared it to be so and believes it to be so?

I do believe that such is intrinsically evil (A). If you do not, please state that your answer is B.
B.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What? You believe evil is real (Without any evidence)
I believe evil is real, with evidence.

The example of kids getting raped is just crazy plain. Let alone a bunch of the others ones. I would be blind to ignore that mountain of evidence.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I believe evil is real, with evidence.

The example of kids getting raped is just crazy plain. Let alone a bunch of the others ones. I would be blind to ignore that mountain of evidence.
Then why do you insist on believing something that you have proven to be wrong? I don't get that.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I have a mountain of evidence showing there's things intrinsically evil in the world. There's no conflict there.
But with a grain of faith you can throw mountains into the sea. I don't know why I said that, it just popped into my head. Anyway. So you know evil, and it is real, and you need me to believe you?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really???

30 The king spake, and said, Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honour of my majesty?

31 While the word was in the king's mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, saying, O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee.

32 And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.

33 The same hour was the thing fulfilled upon Nebuchadnezzar: and he was driven from men, and did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till his hairs were grown like eagles' feathers, and his nails like birds' claws.

34 And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation:

35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?

Knew I was taking a chance with a Calvinist here, lol.
Of course God can and does anything He want's, AND He also gives us choices to make...good or bad. Will we be obedient to Him or choose to be tempted to disobey? Please let's not allow this to get into another one of "those" threads!