Bible Questions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblestudy123

Feb 13, 2011
Hello, I want to become a Christian and I am studying the Bible, I have some questions.

1. Are all the Bible translations accurate

2. What is a good translation to read

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most translations are accurate - I would stay away from paraphrases like the Message and the Good News and the Living Bible.

I like the NIV and New Revised Standard

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello, I want to become a Christian and I am studying the Bible, I have some questions.
1. Are all the Bible translations accurate

2. What is a good translation to read

First of all to become a Christian is very easy...

And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.- Acts 16:31
And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. - Acts 8:37

Objection - But I haven't understood or felt anything!

Answer - Your not suppose to yet! That's why it is important to grow in Christ Jesus!

1. I like the King James Version
2. Let the Lord lead you to a good church
3. Read the Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan in your spare time
4. I have a YT site called at http://www.youtube.com/rockytopva for beginners
5. The fellowship is pretty good here - you will get a perspective from all sides.

I am a King James guy... However I like to read it with the Strongs Hebrew and Greek translation. Enter a text of a word you don't know at the first box and press enter!

http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html

Hammerstone - Your web site fails to look up Acts 8:37... Try it! You many want to report a bug!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Believe!

I'm glad that you are wanting to become a Christian and I hope that you have some good Christian friends to support you in your search for the truth...[which is in Christ Jesus] It is an awesome Journey and one that you will never regret.

I used to read the New American Standard Bible...but it fell apart from too much handling...:( I've also had the New International Version and the English Standard Version, the King James Version and the Contemporary English Version [which is good for beginners].

Now, I just stick to the New King James Version and the Amplified Bible. :)

Blessings!!!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. Yes. If God preserves his Word across cultures and languages, then he will preserve an accurate version for his children to read now. There are many battles across this front within the faith, but we are left with a wide variety of translations that essentially say the very same thing about a man named Jesus and the God that set this all up for his Son to come.

2. I'll give you a couple options which are not listed in order:

• NIV - The NIV is the favorite "mainstream" translation. Many churches and Christians use it. I have no great faults with it, but it has its quirks. The emphasis is on readability.
  • NLT - I find this Bible version to be among the most readable (if not the most readable). I'd recommend it to new or young believers anytime. Or, of course, someone in your situation who is investigating the faith should look at this Bible as well.
  • HCSB - The HCSB is a step up from the NIV and NLT in that it seeks to be a little more "scholarly" amongst other details. It attempts to use the name's of God and others through transliteration rather than translation.
  • ESV - The ESV is picking up a lot of traction in the NASV(NASB) circuit - very scholarly translation that is in the same vein of the King James Version. Probably the closest of this bunch to a more literal translation.

The are many other good versions out there: NASV, NRSV, etc. Th King James is always an interesting choice for the believer because the archaic language makes it easier (ironically) to get verses stuck in your head. It's more akin to a Shakespearean work in its diction and I think that is a strong point. It also works well with tools like the Strong's Concordance which is an excellent work.

Biblestudy123

Feb 13, 2011
Aspen and Hammer stone recommend NIV and Rockytopva and Angelina recommend King James.

I am going to start reading the New International Version First.

I see you say it is easy to become a Christian, I will admit that I am quite ashamed that it is hard for me.

Alright one thing I find intresting

In Genesis Chapter one verse 26 and 27 it says in the image of God.

I have two questions.

1. Who wrote Genesis and did they see God making the world?

2. What does it mean to be made in the image of God?

Thank you

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I'd say I recommend any of those four, the NIV is not exactly the favorite out of the bunch, but it's the Bible. :)

I'll try and keep it short - both questions deserve long, long answers and more words than you or I would want to read.

1) Moses wrote the book of Genesis. There are varying views on this, of course, but simply put ultimately we followers accept that the book (as is the case for the other 65 in the Bible) is divinely inspired by God. That places God as the ultimate author choosing to speak through a man.

2) Essentially we are a mere (emphasis on mere) shade of God. Does that mean specifically God has a nose, two eyes, mouth, two ears, etc? Well, I'm not inclined to worry about that too much (and the Bible doesn't not seek to describe God beyond indirect terms implicating the indescribable splendor of a perfect being). The word is used later for Adam's son, Seth, so I've always gone off the fatherly relationship where we do have some qualities; the way image is used would seem to indicate a physical likeness, and then we have Christ who is always described as being quite human.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen and Hammer stone recommend NIV and Rockytopva and Angelina recommend King James.

I am going to start reading the New International Version First.

I see you say it is easy to become a Christian, I will admit that I am quite ashamed that it is hard for me.

I have two questions.

Thank you

Dear Believe:

If you will go to the library you will find very little in the form of books before Moses. So the five books of Moses are the earliest form of literature that I know of. The books of Moses were unique in that they actually told a story.

1. Genesis - The first book of Moses covering the creation
2. Exodus - The second book of Moses covering the exit of Israel from Egypt
3. Leviticus - The third book of Moses dealing with the rituals of the Levitical priesthood.
4. Numbers - The fourth book of Moses dealing with the 40 year wandering of Israel in the wilderness.
5. Deuteronomy - The parting words of Moses

The image of God - As E = mc2 so m = E / c2. Everything came together with light and energy. This is true as God said let there be light and that light mingled with plasma energy (called waters) that cooled into their respective elements. Thus God is a God of light and energy...

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. - James 1:17
Hereafter shall the Son of man sit on the right hand of the power of God. - Luke 22:69

As for the looks of God the Father no man knows for the bible declares...

And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. - Exodus 33:20

But God the Father is revealed unto us by his Spirit...

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. - 1 Corinthians 2:9-11

"Oh friends! Cry unto God to reveal unto you Jesus Christ! For there is none that teaches like he!" - John Bunyan

I simply could not do this question justice without lowering God, which I will not do. You must have a relationship with Jesus Christ to get the best interpretation of this scripture. Call unto Jesus, ask him in your heart and life, plead the Holy Spirit so that he can reveal unto you the mysteries you seek. Ask the Father these things in Jesus name!

Biblestudy123

Feb 13, 2011
Hey I apologize if I was offending anyone or God.

Just some observations, I have noticed people can be quite creative and seem to have alot of potential. I suppose the same can be said of animals too, which God has made in Genesis Chapter 1 verse 20 and Genesis Chapter 1 verse 24.

As for Moses writing the book, it seems plausible to me, if I look at this from a logical point of view it makes alot of sense to put trust in God. Heaven or unknown versus hell or unknown, at first glance it looks pretty great, like hey what have I got to lose?

The reason I am weary is because I see alot of Christians really struggling and unpractical however this can be said of others as well.

The reason I want to understand the Bible is so I can understand exactly what I am getting into, I would like to accept Jesus Christ as my savior, if someone could point me in the right direction and explain some prayers this would be useful from one more experienced.

Also, I am starting to wonder in Genesis is the best book to be reading first? Should I look through another book first?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Believe...

Read the Gospel's first... And then the rest of the New Testament... Jesus said...

"After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen." - Matthew 6: 9-13

And Jesus said when we pray to the Father pray in his name...

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. - John 14:13

If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.- John 14:14

that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. - John 15:16

And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. - John 16:23

Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. - John 16:24

At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:- John 16:26

Jesus sent his followers out to do mighty works in his name, they came back rejoicing saying...

And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. - Luke 10:17

So... A quick and acceptable salvation prayer can go like this....

Dear Heavenly Father,

I come in the Name of Jesus. I thank you for sending
Your Son, Jesus, into this world to die and for raising
Him from the dead so that I can have everlasting life.

I recognize Jesus as my Savior and as the Lord of my life. I repent of my sins
and I forgive those who have wronged me. I believe in my
heart and I will confess openly my belief in Jesus.

Thank you for forgiving me of my sins and giving me eternal life.

I receive this gift by faith,

In Jesus' name, Amen

Again... Simple little prayer. Pray that prayer in Jesus name and believe in your heart and its all yours. God paved the way for this many years ago by sending Jesus. So the cost has already been paid. All you have got to do is receive it by faith. Which is why I say avoiding the Old Testament for now. In the Old Testament things really got complicated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1owkYzfEVT8

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Previous video may not have been relevant to the topic, if so my apologies... Was trying to come up with something a lot simpler... Sometimes we Christians can get so deep in our thinking that we loose touch with the simpler truths Jesus was getting across in his ministry and loose our ability to properly present the gospel to newcomers. When coming up with a plan of salvation God wanted something so easy a child could receive. So the main thing here is faith and the name of Jesus.

Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour.And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple; Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms. And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us. And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them. Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God. And all the people saw him walking and praising God: -Acts 3:1-9

And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong
, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all. - Acts 3:16

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean to be made in the image of God?

Before we can discuss the image of man we must discuss the properties of God the Father...

For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God. - Deuteronomy 4:24

For our God is a consuming fire.- Hebrews 12:29

If E = mc2 then m = E / c2, so mass is actually cooled light and energy. This is true as when the atom splits it released much energy... And when the atoms fuse (fussion) the energy is much greater. There are also spiritual energies (motivation, get up and go, warmth) and light (faith, hope, and charity). All of these are properties of God the Father.

So my image of God the Father is one of light and energy. I live on the foothills of the Appalachian mountains and the ride home from work after midnights runs along a ridge overlooking the Roanoke valley. The sunsets are marvelous. I have often paused to see the sun rise. I have often imagined this in similitude of God the Father. I believe that the face of God the Father is like a marvelous morning sunrise. I can see his face and imagine a crown with the appearances of lightning making for the crown. And as God the Father shows his majestic face he will put his mighty arms on the horizon of earth and give us a comforting smile. As hammerstone said, he also has body parts similar to ours, but the sight of God the Father's face would be enough to intrigue us for all of eternity. Fanny Crosby was a blind song writer. When she finished a masterpiece of a hymn someone said to her "That it was a pity that such a talented women wasn't blessed also with the the gift of sight. In which she replied, "That is the most beautiful gift of all! For the first sight that will ever grace these eyes will be that of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!"

Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven. - Matthew 18:10

Jesus referring to the angels beholding the face of God the Father is a big deal! I believe that the face of God the Father is like the sunrise I was referring to earlier. I think in heaven it will be enough to behold the face of God the Father and feel the effects of true spiritual light and energy. In heaven we will let God be God and contentedly dwell under the presence of his marvelous light and energy.

For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.- Romans 8:22

And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.- Romans 8:23

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. - 2 Peter 3:10

Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? - 2 Peter 3:12

The whole creation groans and travails to be disassociated from its cooled state and return to him who created it. So to answer your question we are made in the image of man in that we have a head, body, hands, and feet. But the properties of God the Father are similar but much more glorious. In which I still have not done the properties of God the Father justice, but it was the best I could do.

And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy
shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground. - Exodus 3:5

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=AK0pT-pglLA

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The reason I want to understand the Bible is so I can understand exactly what I am getting into, I would like to accept Jesus Christ as my savior, if someone could point me in the right direction and explain some prayers this would be useful from one more experienced.

There are no prayers to recite in Christianity meant specifically for a new believer or believer. The words do not matter, God is a discerner of the heart. Prayer is pretty much a conversation with God. No incense or specific phrases are needed. Think of it as talking to a very wise and well-respected friend, someone whom you trust.

Your question about where to read is in the same thought process as the above. I always suggest going to the Gospels - that is the foundation of faith in Christ. It is the place to first experience His wisdom, compassion, and passion. Here is where your prayer comes into play - talk to God about it and let him know that you'd like a glimpse into him and into what the cross really means. At the risk of sounding like the commercials, there's no obligation. God will speak perhaps if your heart is just ready to listen.

Understand that it is a process - a transformation - and not just some prayers or a hazing into a fraternity/sorority.

If you want a specific place to talk - head over to John 3.

If I can be of any help either in this thread or via Private Message (PM), you know how to reach me.

[EDIT]

I cleaned up this old study I did - it uses the old king's English, but it's still readable. :)

http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/858-salvation-repentance-and-getting-saved-bible-study/

Biblestudy123

Feb 13, 2011
I have read John 3.

One reason I was asking for some praying guidlines, I poked around in the book of Matthews near the famous Our Father prayer in Matthew 6:9

Matthew 6:7 says to not babble on and I was simply afraid of saying something out of place.

Also :) on your signature you have Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Rockytopva you have also mentioned the sun, one thing that stood out to me was this.

The planet earth is the 3rd planent in the solar system and very far away from the sun, yet the sun shines so brightly it hurts to look at it's brilliance, if we were to move closer to the sun
we would actually in fact burn up from the intense heat of it.

Something that speaks to me in the book of Romans Chapter 7 verse 21 to 25 "So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me."

He goes on to say at least in NIV what a wretched man he is.

I really like the book of Romans because it explains the gospel pretty well.

My opinion on man being in the image of God is that man is in a fallen state because of sin and seperated from God, people have been dying since the beginning of time, it makes sense to put your faith in God.

Can some explain Romans Chapter 7 verse 21-25?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You can't beat the Roman Road (http://www.new-testament-christian.com/roman-road-to-salvation.html)!

I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. . - Romans 7:21

If I may speak again in the metaphor of E = mc2. We are basically cooled light and energy. As in chemistry likes blend in with likes we tend not to keep a good spiritual nature about us but in a cooled state. This makes it easy for us to walk outside of God's light and energy. The end result is that we are "cool" walking about seeking to gratify the nature of the flesh. So the Apostle Paul is hitting on this in Romans 7... That it is not a natural thing for us to follow the ways of God. In which, even the best of we Christians, have our days outside the Spirit in the flesh.

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. - Romans 8:1

But now... We have to move on to Romans 8 where we can find the life above our natural abilities, and that is the life in the Spirit. In which I tell you, that it is the Spirit of God that is leading you in the direction you are in. If the Spirit of God were not taking an interest in you would in return not be taking an interest in the word of God!

http://lakewood.cc/pages/pathway/jesus.aspx

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
Also, I am starting to wonder in Genesis is the best book to be reading first? Should I look through another book first?

the hebrew scriptures are great because they give us the history of Gods people before the Messiah arrived. But as you want to become a christian, the best place to start is with the life of Jesus. Read the 4 gospel accounts in the NT first.. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

I find, then, this law in my case: that when I wish to do what is right, what is bad is present with me. 22 I really delight in the law of God according to the man I am within, 23 but I behold in my members another law warring against the law of my mind and leading me captive to sin’s law

Now scoot over to Jesus words at John 8:34
"Jesus answered them: “Most truly I say to YOU, Every doer of sin is a slave of sin

We can learn from Jesus that mankind is with sin and we are slaves to its power. This is what Paul was identifying in himself....he was a slave to sin just like we are. Have you ever experienced yourself get heated over a little thing or spoke harshly to someone then felt bad about it? That is the sort of sin that keeps us captive. We know what is right and good but our sin usually guides us to what is wrong and bad. Its like an internal struggle we have. Paul had that same struggle.

there is a way we can minimize sins effects in us and that is as Paul goes on to say:
25 Thanks to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So, then, with [my] mind I myself am a slave to God’s law, but with [my] flesh to sin’s law
If we put Gods law into our minds and learn to love that law, then we can become slaves to God rather then to sin. Until sin is completely removed our flesh will remain in sins law...so we will still struggle with sin, but with a strong mind we can overcome temptations and fight to lead our bodies to do what is right.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hey I apologize if I was offending anyone or God.

Just some observations, I have noticed people can be quite creative and seem to have alot of potential. I suppose the same can be said of animals too, which God has made in Genesis Chapter 1 verse 20 and Genesis Chapter 1 verse 24.

As for Moses writing the book, it seems plausible to me, if I look at this from a logical point of view it makes alot of sense to put trust in God. Heaven or unknown versus hell or unknown, at first glance it looks pretty great, like hey what have I got to lose?

The reason I am weary is because I see alot of Christians really struggling and unpractical however this can be said of others as well.

Start with Matthew or Luke. Be sure to read Acts.

Becoming a Christian in truth is to sacrifice yourself with all you are and have to the Lord. Put everything on the altar of you heart for Him to do with as He pleases. You will know that He has heard your prayer when He fills you with His Spirit. That is the walk of faith...to walk in HIS strength and not your own. This will radically transform your life into one that mirrors those you are reading about in the bible.

God bless you and your seeking of the Lord!

John

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

I have two questions.

Thank you

In the 'image' of God means that we were created with Gods attributes...his love, wisdom, justice and power. Those 4 attritbutes are what set us apart from the animals. We can express Gods attributes more fully when we understand his laws and standards.

Moses was the original writer of Genesis, exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy and Job. The jews always viewed Moses as the one who first wrote those books. They were later copied by scribes and priests and kings. And Moses successor, Joshua, added some of the details to the writings of Moses after he died... such as the story of Moses death and Moses final words for example.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I doubt very much that the "image" of God mean't that we were created with God's attributes otherwise Adam and Eve would have been wise enough not to disobey God...