Bible Study: 1 John

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bible Study: 1 John - Continuing from here.

1 John 3:

4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

John reports in verse 4 to the believers in his day, that Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. Sin is known as hamartia in the greek, and it is known as an archery term which is to miss the mark, according to the living standards of the written law of Moses, everyone has at least broken 1 or more of those commandments in this life time, and the Law there is mean to direct us to the one who can save us -> Yeshua Christ, and faith on his death, burial, and resurrection.

In verse 5, But (John) says to those believers then and there, But you know that he (Jesus- Yeshua), appeared so that he might take away our sins (which he did, and does actively to some degree now today by the power of the Spirit), I believe this line John is writing here, in verse 5, And in Him is no sin, is talking about how when we remain in Christ, he is able to cleanse our hearts. And those who abide in Christ, living by the spirit they will not sin because the Holy Spirit, and the Spirit of Yeshua living in you can not sin when you are allowing the holy spirit to help and guide you.

In Verse 6, As explained above, John states here No one who "Lives" in him - implying abiding in Christ *(John 15)*, keeps on sinning (the believer becomes dead to their old life and ways and not setting focus on Jesus Christ and his ways, and being lead by the holy spirit, and the spirit of Christ that abodes in our hearts as believers. John states No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him. This is implication of those who continue on as encouraging to do wrong, and bad things, which end up breaking the law, have seen Yeshua, or have know Yeshua whom we are to abide in.​

7 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. 8 The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.

John encourages in verse 7, do not let anyone lead you astray (from what you have heard from the beginning, the Gospel of Christ, his life, death, burial, resurrection, his return, the holy spirit, the spirit of Christ, the price he paid for the sin of the world.

The one who does what is right is righteousness (abiding in Christ who is the righteousness of God)

In Verse 8 John states The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, (in that day the devil and Adversary was very prevalent among Christians in this time period), Those who continued to worship Idols, and deny God and live their own way, were seen as children of the devil (Adversary), because the devil has been sinning from the beginning.

In verse 8 John concludes a statement that may be overlooked sometimes, The reason the Son of God appeared (was sent from heaven - possibly due to his return?) was to destroy the devil's work.
9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. 10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.

In verse 9, John say No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them, - - - This is due to the changed life and heart of the once nonbeliever - who has changed their mind and started to seek after God in faith, despite all else, -- God's seed remains in them which would mean the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Christ, the seed that will come into one heart and produce fruits of the spirit, and love for God and love for Others. John states they cannot go on sinning, (because they realize the effects that it causes in their lives to continue to practice or to cause trouble ; whatever is of the darkness and not of the light), because they have been born of God and have experienced renewal of their soul, (mind/will/emotion).

In verse 10, This is how we know who are the children of God and who are the children of the devil are (who had not yet been destroyed), Anyone who does not do what is right, is not God's Child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.

John notes here Anyone who does not do what is right; - acting on fleshly darkness, and not heavenly light - is not God's Child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister - quite a high standard here but it is all possible through abiding in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Next : Bible Study: 1 John

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing Robert.
When you actually respond to what I offer, then I'll be thanked.

Thank God we are saved by grace through faith, because we still all sin, even the Apostle Paul wasn’t afraid to admit that he too was a slave to sin, but it is the sin in him that is causing him to do the sinful action and it is not really him.

There is no 'we' here. You speak for yourself, not for me. And stop accusing Paul of being a sinner too.

Rom 7 is Paul empathizing the the wretched double hearted. Rom 8 is for them purifying their hearts to become single again.

The only ones not being condemned for sinning, are them not sinning, neither within the pure in heart, nor with the flesh:

Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe.

Reactions: ChristisGod

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

This is admonition to the righteous in Christ, in whom is no sin, not to be boastful, as Lucifer became when iniquity was found in Him.

We preach having no sin in Him, even as He is pure. We do not preaching having no sin in Him, even like me.

If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Theis is admonition ot the righteous in Christ, in whom is not sin, not to forget where they came from, and to remember doiing His righteousness with a pure heart is always by grace.

I have caused thee to multiply as the bud of the field, and thou hast increased and waxen great, and thou art come to excellent ornaments: thy breasts are fashioned, and thine hair is grown, whereas thou wast naked and bare.

But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My only encouragement is for people to read the bible, and see what it has to say, and not what man has to say, may the holy spirit guide, and that is all that matters to me, @robert derrick.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My only encouragement is for people to read the bible, and see what it has to say, and not what man has to say, may the holy spirit guide, and that is all that matters to me, @robert derrick.
When we cannot be corrected by Scripture, just because another man shows it, then we will not be corrected by God either.

This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith.

And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.

I will only speak for myself, and not speak for others.

Unless there is confirmed agreement, there is no 'we' here.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Robert, you can continue to post as you are lead to post.

All I know is many people here do believe in the Gospel of Christ here at this forum site. I am not worried if you agree with me or not, or have harsh rejection to whatever is being taught here going through the verse by verse of 1 John. To me it is important, to allow people the freedom to think and decide for themselves in what they will do because every day is judgement day as far as I am concerned one day we will pass from this life and go on to the new heavenly realm, hopefully to go and be with Yahweh, and the Yeshua Christ and it is important for us to listen and see what Yeshua has stated, and his apostles and reading the Gospels and learning the Letters of the Apostolic record if they so choose to in which increases our faith and increases our new creation the spirit that is born with-in us from God.

Thank you for taking time to point out some of the things you see issues with from your own perspective and I love you just as any other person for who you are, whatever you decide to do from here is up to you sir.

God bless.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

It is impossible for anyone committing sin, to be a devil and a born son of God at the same time.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

Any unrepented sin is sinning unto death.

The last step we take in this life will either be sinning for the devil, nor doing righteousness in Christ Jesus.

None of the past will matter, and there will be no tomorrow to either repent or to endure and overcome temptation of the devil.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Imputed righteousness is not God calling anyone righteous, but only giving the knowledge of His righteousness.

If we are not doing what we now know to do, imputed knowledge of righteousness is as dead as dead faith alone.

We are being saved by grace through the knowledge of His righteousness, but we are not justified by grace without doing it.

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG Good point there......

Yes it is highly important to get around the opinions of manipulation, it’s good to study and read the Bible and be lead by the Holy Spirit and to be mindful of how one is reading and understanding the text, does it lead to having more love or does it lead to having more hatred, if it is the latter it would be good to examine oneself and be honest and upfront with God about everything whatever it may be. God I would suggest loves when we are honest with Him, and we only have access to Him through Jesus of Nazareth.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

His flesh and bones are doing His righteousness as He, and not sinning today, even as He never sinned any day on this earth.

Those saying they yearn to be free of sinning, but until the resurrection, are giving lip service to Jesus Christ in the flesh.

As well as saying they now hate sinning, while sinning.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth.

Those sinning today, saying they have fellowship with Jesus and the devil today are liars to themselves, and others they teach it to.

And those sinning now, saying they are in the Light of Christ, are seeing great darkness indeed.

But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life.

Those sinning and preaching sinning while in the Light of Christ are manhandling the word of life and wresting Scripture to their own destruction.

As well as them hearing and believing them to do likewise.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

The righteous know that if we are sinning again, we are not the righteous in Christ Jesus, but are sinning for the devil like any other sinner on earth.

But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.

My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.

Hypocrites know they will be sinning again, if tomorrow comes, and so declare when they sin again, they will be automatically forgiven.

They also accuse the Lord of hypocrisy in not judging themselves with death for sinning, as He does others doing the same.

They also like to say, it is because 'we' all will sin again.

They are prophets of sinning again, not of doing righteousness with Jesus.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Them sinning against God for the devil, are not keeping any of the Lord's commandments, especially not the first great commandment to love God will all the heart.

They do not know God, and so they lie when they say they do, while sinning for the devil.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

antichrists are them that depart from the apostles' doctrine in Scripture of the NT, and go on to preach their own doctrine of sinning for the devil, while naming the name of Christ: They are the enemies of Jesus and the cross from within.

For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ.

Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

One of these antichrists still teaches sinning for the devil, while being saved by grace.

And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

Cain was the first antichrist to try and talk righteous Abel out of doing righteousness, and instead worship in a religion of all smoke and no blood, all talk of faith and no doing of righteousness.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us)

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

Idolators are those who idolize Jesus, as a created christ come in the flesh.

They are also antichrists who claim Christ has come in sinful flesh.

Jesus came in the same flesh as all men: mortal, not of a sinful spirit.

He came in the flesh, not in sinful flesh. He came in likeness to sinful men, sinning with their mortal flesh.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech.

Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

For your obedience is come abroad unto all men.

Obedience is the sweet smelling savor of the Lord, not endless flowery and agreeable speeches about sinning under grace.

Reactions: ChristisGod

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bible Study: 1 John - Continuing from here,

1 John 3:

11 This is the message you have heard from the beginning: We should love one another. 12 We must not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and killed his brother. And why did he kill him? Because Cain had been doing what was evil, and his brother had been doing what was righteous. 13 So don’t be surprised, dear brothers and sisters, if the world hates you.

In verses 11: John moves forward again encouraging his audience in that time and age, that they continue in the message that they heard in the beginning: We should love one another.

In verse 12: John reminds his audience of Cain, who belonged to the evil one and killed his brother. And why did he kill him? Because Cain had been doing what was evil, and his brother had been doing what was righteous, and due to perhaps jealousy Cain killed his brother.

In verse 13: So do not be surprised, deat brothers and sister, if the world hates you (all that is sin the world is the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, and the pride of life - these things are not from the Father but from the world as it is - which because of Jesus we have our eyes fixed on new desires of the heavenly and not so much of the earthly).​

14 If we love our brothers and sisters who are believers, it proves that we have passed from death to life. But a person who has no love is still dead. 15 Anyone who hates another brother or sister is really a murderer at heart. And you know that murderers don’t have eternal life within them.

In verse 14: John states to the believer he is writing to, if we love our brothers and sister who are believers, it proves that we have passed from death to life. What is this death talked about? Spiritual death into Spiritual life, but a person who has not love, is still dead (Spiritually).

In verse 15: Anyone who hate another brother or Sister, John says, is really a murderer at heart, (I believe we all have been guilty of this at one point in time, thus we are all murderers - saved by grace through faith and made new again by coming through spiritual death to spiritual life - through Christ changed into a new creation who has access to the FAther and the ability to learn and grow in knowing Him and seeking him out).

John says that anyone who hates a brother or sister is really a murder at heart, and you know that murders do not have (age-during life)(tht stims from Yeshua - (spiritual life) with-in them.​