Bible study colors

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

musterion

Aug 4, 2013
Many years ago someone published a Bible with most passages color-coded to various themes. I do not recall the system but I found it too idiosyncratic, even though the idea of color-coding one's personal Bible is a good idea. The wide-margin Inductive study system had a similar approach which allowed for more personal flexibility. Again, a system with some good ideas in it but not one I ever fully adopted. The problem I always had is that even "non-bleed-through" highlighters ALWAYS did so, especially on older or thinner Bible pages, and colored pencils just didn't work well.

So I just received the HCSB Minister's Bible this week, and along with it ordered a new set of gel-type Bible highlighters which I'd already been using since discovering them this summer. They work GREAT. They go on easily, don't smear, stay bright and do not bleed through even thin paper (at least, not so far). Between the gels and this Bible's wide note-taking margins and full page paragraph format, it's a great and rewarding system.

My color system is pretty simple:

Yellow: [a] the character, attributes and acts of the triune God, leading to my praise and worship of Him.

Purple: Anything God ever promised and did, or has promised and will do (purple being a traditional color of royalty...the King's promises are guaranteed. This emphasizes His reliability).

Blue: models and examples of prayer.

Green: Whatever is specifically intended to be done and obeyed in the believer's life and walk.

Orange: Satan, sin and judgment.

There's a pink gel left over but I haven't yet thought of a way to use it.

So I'm curious if anyone else uses color-coding for personal Bible study? If so, what's yours?

Oh, and if anyone's curious...

http://thislamp.com/posts/2010/6/25/first-look-2010-hcsb-ministers-bible.html

I bought a defective leather one from CBD at a good price. Turns out the only flaw was a nicely patched spot on a page in the book of James. WELL worth the discount!

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Wow....being an organised soul that impresses me! I fear I have nothing so remarkable in my bible study. I tend to highlight passages that I either think is 'precious', or that I feel are speaking to me. But now...hmmmm, colour coding....certianly worth thinking about...could be very handy when looking back over what I've read....seeing what I was 'thinking' about the passage....

Oh...also....tell me more, much more, about these non bleed through gel highlighters. Like you I feel the need to highlight....not pencil...if I think it's important enough to mark out, I want it to POP! But there is always that annoying bleed through. So....what brand, where did you get 'em?? Share!

musterion

Aug 4, 2013
This is an older Bible I keep at work. What bleed through you see is from using supposedly non-bleed through liquid highlighters (they weren't). Everything else is the new neato gels. Yellow and orange are slightly hard to distinguish in these pics but not in person.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
What about a color for verses where God empowered someone to do something they wouldn't have been able to do on their own?

musterion

Aug 4, 2013
Can you give me a verse example? Context figures in when doing this, so knowing what you have in mind would help.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Here are a few examples of what I was thinking about.

1 Kings 18:46

1 Samuel 17:49

Acts 28:5-6

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
This is an older Bible I keep at work. What bleed through you see is from using supposedly non-bleed through liquid highlighters (they weren't). Everything else is the new neato gels. Yellow and orange are slightly hard to distinguish in these pics but not in person.

I think you invented a new form of modern art.

musterion

Aug 4, 2013
Pelaides said:
I think you invented a new form of modern art.
Man, I hope not. Modern art, isn't.
lforrest said:
Here are a few examples of what I was thinking about.

1 Kings 18:46

1 Samuel 17:49

Acts 28:5-6
Ah, miraculous events, I hadn't thought of it. I suppose I might use pink for them. Thanks for pointing it out!