What's Love Got To Do With It?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precious friends, please be Very Richly Encouraged and Edified:

"Start talking about love, and many men are ready to look for the TV remote or some other form
of exit from the conversation. That’s because when it comes to the concept of love, even the love
described in the Bible, many people associate it with feelings, and men generally don’t like talking
about feelings. But is love a feeling?

I do not believe love, biblically speaking, is a feeling. Instead, love is a critical doctrine of Scripture
and is of such importance that it seems inconceivable that such a great doctrine would be rested
upon emotion.

The Bible emphasizes the idea of love as an act of selflessness and sacrifice. It teaches that true
love goes beyond fleeting emotions and requires intentional commitment. Love, from a biblical
standpoint, involves purposely showing kindness, compassion, and forgiveness toward others,
regardless of how our feelings are at the moment. Many marriages have needlessly ended under
the excuse, 'I don’t love him/her anymore.'

''I am persuaded that love and humility are the highest attainments in the school of Christ and
the brightest evidences that He is indeed our Master.'' —John Newton

What is Love?

Love might seem simple enough to define, but trying to do so in one sentence or even one
paragraph is as futile as trying to describe God in such a limited space. No “law of first mention”
could be used to describe God or love. If, as that great hymn says,

'The love of God is greater far than tongue or pen can ever tell.
It goes beyond the highest star, and reaches to the lowest hell.'​

...“The love of God is greater far than tongue or pen can ever tell. It goes beyond the
highest star, and reaches to the lowest hell.”

...then indeed, any chance at understanding love requires the whole Scripture. Paul’s prayer for
the Ephesians was that they

“May be able to comprehend… And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge”​
(Eph. 3:18,19).​

If God is love (cf. 1 John 4:8,16; 2 Cor. 13:11), then it follows that we must know God to know love.
Thus, love should only be understood in the same way that God should be understood, and that’s
through the complete revelation that God gave us of Himself, and that requires the entire Bible..."
(D Hosfeld)

Full study (about 5 more pages):

What's Love Got To Do With It?
-----------------------------------
LOVINGkindness Of Christ.png
Amen.

Last edited:

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, it's not a second-hand emotion. I can tell you that much.