Books Outside the Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"protesting catholics" first began reading the Bible as it reads instead of bending it "as some traditions demand" and found that the RCC was in some cases teaching error.

So then "agreement" among protestants in general on "sola scriptura" and "saved by grace through faith"

Jesus hammers the tradition of the one-nation-church-magesterium of his day - "sola scriptura"

Mark 7
7 ‘But in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men
.’
8 Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.”
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’ 12 you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”
To you, the word YOUR tradition is invisible. You have no honor for Jesus' mother so where does that leave you?

10570240-1466071716995986-318242870-n-1.jpg

Reactions: Marymog

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
i'm not sure the pov of Mary as a literary device is dead-on, but that is pretty close i guess
at least according to quite a few sources. The thing about the women under the cross, the conflicting accounts, got me started on this about a year ago. The symbology is all different for an ancient audience, but the Virgin, the Magdala--which we are not even clear on the etymology of, this one is very strange--and the Cleopas, these were all laden with meaning then, and really the function of Mary is quite beautiful once all the pagan worship is stripped away.

i won't bother here bc locusts, but do yourself a favor and look into this Mary as a literary device; if she was indeed historical she will not vanish in a puff of smoke or anything, right, and i can attest that God did not zap me for seeking higher truth here. i wish i could post something more conclusive but it isn't that kind of knowledge.

or i don't have the right perspective on exactly what "female" represents to God; which i think is the point of the 3 or 4 Marys--or 3 Marys and another, forget who but she's important too. Mary is much more important as a literary device anyway, as a means of relating Christ to the common man. Any findings on the Magdala would be appreciated, the other two i got

@epostle no offense, i love Catholics too, but you have no business here imo

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
i'm not sure the pov of Mary as a literary device is dead-on, but that is pretty close i guess
at least according to quite a few sources.
catholicmeme001-jpg-resize-514-394.jpg

It's a satire, bbrd, a spoof on the biblically illiterate. I'ts also a dig on the heresy of Modernism.

sat·ire (google)
/ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/
noun
  1. the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
Here is another satire on sola scriptura:

2386cdd7011843f24dad6640f7662adc.jpg

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
It's a satire, bbrd, a spoof on the biblically illiterate. I'ts also a dig on the heresy of Modernism.
well wadr i am not getting it, especially in light of the "no honor for Jesus' mother" comment; either you perceive a halo over Mary or you do not, and i do not know what your pov even is now, if you are now claiming satire

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I'm sure your husband misses him. I lost my mom a few years back, and I still miss her a lot.

I don't think I've gotten mad at you. A little exasperated, but not mad.

I've answered your main question about differing doctrines over and over and over. I don't know how to make you understand the difference between unbiblical doctrines and various facets of biblical doctrines. I'll just really have to pray about it and see if the Lord shows me anything to tell you.
Thank you. That is very kind of you.

I don't think you've gotten mad either. I just wanted to potentially 'head it off at the pass'....as they say ;)

I do not see where you have answered over and over and over about differing doctrines. You have agreed that there are differing doctrines and those doctrines have come to fruition by different people with different interpretations of the scripture ( ex. predestination vs free will) however I can not see where you have made a legitimate case for all the different doctrines of all the different denominational churches if they all have the same Holy Spirit guiding them? If the Holy Spirit is guiding all of them why is He giving them all "different doctrines" from the same scripture.

PW....... I am not asking you to help me "understand the difference between unbiblical doctrines and various facets of biblical doctrines." I think we both agree there are "unbiblical doctrines". I agree with you there are some facets of biblical doctrines set forth by The Church that are binding (Matthew 18:18, Acts 15:28) on all Christians and there are some doctrines that are not binding. I am asking you WHO decides what is unbiblical? Who decides what is binding and what is not binding? Based on your previous statement YOU have already decided that the Catholic Church has "unbiblical doctrines". How did you come to that conclusion?

Respectfully, Mary

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WHY are all the Protestant "truths" (interpretation of scripture which lead to doctrine) different if they all have the same Holy Spirit guiding them?

"protesting catholics" first began reading the Bible as it reads instead of bending it "as some traditions demand" and found that the RCC was in some cases teaching error.

So then "agreement" among protestants in general on "sola scriptura" and "saved by grace through faith"

Jesus hammers the tradition of the one-nation-church-magesterium of his day - "sola scriptura"

Mark 7
.’
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’ 12 you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Luke 11:
27 While Jesus was saying these things, one of the women in the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, “Blessed is the womb that bore You and the breasts at which You nursed.” 28 But He said, “On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”

You are changing the words of scripture to force-fit it into your agenda. The Greek for your "on the contrary" is Μενοῦν which means "rather", as translated in Strong's 3304 [e]. And found in 27 Bible translations. "contrary" is found in only 8 modern translations, a departure from the KJV.

Good thing the Bible was not written in "KJV"

NASB tends to be more accurate.

The point remains.

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WHY are all the Protestant "truths" (interpretation of scripture which lead to doctrine) different if they all have the same Holy Spirit guiding them?

Mark 7
.’

To you, the word YOUR tradition is invisible.

On the contrary "your tradition" is exactly what He is talking about in that case.

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mark 7
.’

I am well aware of bad traditions in the Bible. The sad thing is those are the only "tradition" verses you can find.

On the contrary - the sad thing is that the RCC "needs" to avoid the Mark 7 teaching when teaching an error via tradition.

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The SDA's take obscure outdated documents, that are disciplinary and not dogmatic, intended for the 12th century,

Lateran IV - ecumenical council - canon law - you say is evil? not infallible?
Or is this your way of saying "exterminate" is a good thing,,, or "steal property and threaten violence" is a good thing??

Which is it?

The Fourth Lateran Council does not apply to Protestants.

Who were the "protesting Catholics" of Lateran IV days -- if not Protestant?

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mark 7
.’

Luke 11:
27 While Jesus was saying these things, one of the women in the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, “Blessed is the womb that bore You and the breasts at which You nursed.” 28 But He said, “On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”

To you, the word YOUR tradition is invisible. You have no honor for Jesus' mother so where does that leave you?

I choose to accept rather than reject the teaching of Christ and you claim that in so doing I "have no honor for Jesus' mother"??

Is that even logical??

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, Mary,

I'm replying again to your post above. I asked the Lord to show me what to tell you, and I found this website that I had not found before.... Here's an article that I think addresses at some of what you've been asking me.

Absolute Biblical Truth Opposed by Roman Catholicism | Berean Beacon
Thank you PW.

I read it and they make a lot of arguments in the article as to why the RCC and Scripture allegedly oppose each other.

Can you tell me which one argument in the article is the BEST or STRONGEST argument?

Mary

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Lateran IV - ecumenical council - canon law - you say is evil? not infallible?
Or is this your way of saying "exterminate" is a good thing,,, or "steal property and threaten violence" is a good thing??

Which is it?

Who were the "protesting Catholics" of Lateran IV days -- if not Protestant?
maybe it's a satire :)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And it is the Jesuits themselves that are promoting it.

Which brings us "once again" to my question to you - which you have still not addressed.

in the text above - even your own Jesuits say the word is "exterminate" - and the text shows that they steal the property owned by those who differ with the RCC and are condemned as heretics, as well as "in your words" - driving them away - driving them out of the nation that is their home. Stealing their property and business and driving them out of the nation "is the best" face you have found to put on something that even Pope Benedict said results in the murder of over 25 million.

=========== question we still wait for an answer to
My main question is - how in the world does it occur to you to want to compare the Catholic method of dealing with differences/dissent/opposition with someone today who has a difference with Calvinist teaching at some point?

When we read your quote above - we see you drawing attention to the way the RCC deals with those who differ -- when we read Lateran IV we see quite a different history in that regard. Curious as to why you are drawing our attention to this detail.

Jesuits have it on their own website -- or is it your argument that Protestants make Jesuits post things and Jesuits themselves don't have the training to read Latin??
All the leaders/men of the Churches that promoted stealing of anything or driving anyone that disagreed with them out of their homes and businesses were wrong in promoting those actions. I don't know what else you are looking for me to say. Haven't I already said this?

You have asked is it my
"argument that Protestants make Jesuits post things and Jesuits themselves don't have the training to read Latin?"???? Your question makes ZERO sense. I have never even come close to saying that. What I have done for you is given you the historical use for the word exterminate and how it translates from Latin to English. If you don't have enough sense to figure that out, I can't help you.

Good luck.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mark 7
.’
Using sola Scriptura please list the books that you are required to have in your bible to adhere to the full Truth of God.....;)

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha c'mon it's Halloween Mary, you should be pretty used to dead people anyway i guess, you're Catholic right
I am not sure how you stalking (to pursue obsessively and to the point of harassment) me and you being creepy (of, relating to, or being a creep: annoyingly unpleasant) has anything to do with Halloween, dead people or your ignorant childish comments.

Mary