Books That Didn't Make It Into The Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christianity has got to the point where it seems to be the only "religion" where you can believe and express anything you want to and still claim memebrship...the Muslims,Hindus ect ect all have core beleifs that one must adhere to to be considered a follower....not Christianity it seems....i'm waiting for the atheist christians to show up.

Bishop Spong claims to be an Atheist Christian - In his book "Why Christianity Must Change or Die", he recommends that Christianity take the Theism out of Christianity.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Bishop Spong claims to be an Atheist Christian - In his book "Why Christianity Must Change or Die", he recommends that Christianity take the Theism out of Christianity.

Knew it had to happen sooner or later.

SummaScriptura

Dec 12, 2008
Books that DID make it into the Bible (the Old Testament), just not Protestant ones...

Books which have had prevalent acceptance: (Accepted in both Catholicism and Orthodoxy)
Tobit
Judith
8 chapters of Esther
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees
The Wisdom of Solomon
The Wisdom of ben Sirach
Baruch
The Letter of Jeremiah
3 chapters of Daniel

Books which have had limited acceptance: (Accepted in one or more branch of Orthodoxy)
The Book of Enoch
The Book of Jubilees
The Prayer of Manasseh
1 Esdras
2 Esdras (The Ezra Apocalypse)
3 Maccabees
Psalm 151
Psalms 152-155
The Ascension of Isaiah
The Rest of the Words of Baruch
The Apocalypse of Baruch

Other Books under consideration: (Books with limited acceptance in historic times):
The Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs
Joseph and Asenath
The Lives of the Prophets
The Psalms of Solomon

Books placed only in a biblical appendix:
4 Maccabees

As a Biblical completist, I consider these books as part of my own Bible.

Apr 24, 2012
Templar81,

Before I pose the question please understand that like you I adhere to the 66 canonical books of the Old and New testament as well as to a lesser degree the other 7 books known as the Apocrypha, which are not as authoritative as the 66, I often wonder about eh books that were rejected. In this I understand that it was the work of the Holy Spirit to cause Jerome and his team to compile those books which best conveyed the Lord's message, but what of the others? Is there ay wisdom which Orthodox (and by that i mean mainstream, not Eastern orthodox) Christianity can benefit from. I ahve found much enlightenning knowledge in the Gospels of Nicodemus and of Bartholomex, as well as the Apocolypse of Peter and the Life of Adam and Eve, but i don't really know what to think of it because I find it hard to just dismiss it especially where it fills in gaps.

So what I'd like to know is, is there anything that Chrsitians today, be they evangelical, charismatic or sacramental can learn from such works or are we to simply regard them as heretical?

Chapter XXV.—Evil Beings Turned to Good Account.

“But, setting aside these things, let us consider this earnestly, that God the Creator of the universe, foreseeing the future differences of His creation, foresaw and provided diverse ranks and different offices to each of His creatures, according to the peculiar movements which were produced from freedom of will; so that while all men are of one substance in respect of the method of creation, there should yet be diversity in ranks and offices, according to the peculiar movements of minds, to be produced from liberty of will. Therefore He foresaw that there would be faults in His creatures; and the method of His justice demanded that punishment should follow faults, for the sake of amendment. It behoved, therefore, that there should be ministers of punishment, and yet that freedom of will should draw them into that order. Moreover, those also must have enemies to conquer, who had undertaken the contests for the heavenly rewards. Thus, therefore, neither are those things destitute of utility which are thought to be evil, since the conquered unwillingly acquire eternal rewards for those by whom they are conquered. But let this suffice on these points, for in process of time even more secret things shall be disclosed.

From The Recognitions of Clement.

You may compare that to the use of documents and think of the similarity.

You may look at instructions below before using the link below.

http://www.ccel.org/...iii.vi.xxv.html

If you want to change background to white on Christian Classics Ethereal Library web page then look to top right hand corner of web page for small mechanical symbol and click on it and choose and you may change font size.

If you look to the top of the CCEL web page towards the left or right you may see NEXT or PREV click on any of those to look at pages of before or after.

To look at the contents of the works, look towards top left hand corner for the lines symbol next to PREV and click on it.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
What it comes down to is this:
Either God ensured that everything necessary to achieve and maintain salvation, grown in your knowledge and intimacy of Him, and share Him with others in need is in the Bible, or He didn't.

If you need some double super secret ultra special additional book or books for your growth and salvation, as long as it does not conflict with what is in the Bible, knock yourself out.

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
Foreigner wrote: "What it comes down to is this:
Either God ensured that everything necessary to achieve and maintain salvation, grown in your knowledge and intimacy of Him, and share Him with others in need is in the Bible, or He didn't."

Jesus gave us His Church first, before He allowed His One ApostolicTeaching Church to give the world the completed Bible.
[2nd Thess. 2:15 ] [ 2nd. Peter 3: 16 ] [ Luke 10: 16 ] [ John 20: 30 ] [ 1st.Timothy 3:14 ] [ Matt. 28: 20 ] [ John 20: 21 ] [ Eph. 4: 3-6 ] [ Ezechiel 34: 23 ] "Jesus said to Simon Peter , " Feed my lambs ... feed my sheep ... feed my sheep " John 21: 15-17 with Matt.16: 18-19.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What it comes down to is this:
Either God ensured that everything necessary to achieve and maintain salvation, grown in your knowledge and intimacy of Him, and share Him with others in need is in the Bible, or He didn't.

If you need some double super secret ultra special additional book or books for your growth and salvation, as long as it does not conflict with what is in the Bible, knock yourself out.

So if that is the case, why do you read any other books besides Luke, Acts, and perhaps Romans?

SummaScriptura

Dec 12, 2008
-- lol honestly, being intentionally obtuse is getting to be a habit of yours.
So, is that how you avoid answering him?

The Book of Esther is not needed for salvation, right? Why is it even in the Bible?

Your logic is similar, though stated in a different way, "everything needed for salvation is in the copy of the Bible I bought at the store, so I don't need or want any other books!"

So, why precisely is the Song of Solomon necessary for salvation?

On a related note, there is not now nor has there ever been a time when all Christians of orthodox faith everywhere agreed as to which books should be included in the Old Testament. There are at least five different lists of books included in the Old Testaments of all the orthodox Bibles in the world today. Why is yours the "right" one?

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Summa,

Honestly curious, do you believe all of those books to be the inspired word of God? Why or why not?

SummaScriptura

Dec 12, 2008
Summa, Honestly curious, do you believe all of those books to be the inspired word of God? Why or why not?
It is the typical knee-jerk response of we Protestants that when the question is raised concerning books which are apparently missing from the Protestant Bible that we turn the subject to canonization or inspiration or both.

In this manner we dodge the more relevant questions concerning the nature of the Bible and its history.

Lets be honest, its difficult at times to articulate the faith position that Esther, Song of Solomon, Ecclesiates and others are "the inspired word of God".

Is it to be the Protestant position that we eliminate the more difficult books just so that we can more confidently defend a more limited Biblical corpus?

Here is what I believe: the canon is and has been closed since the Apostolic era. The Church informally canonized the books it received as Scripture through usage long before councils and synods did. I put my seal to theirs and admit into my practical canon all that the historic orthodox Church bore witness to as having admitted into their canon(s), even though at times with a less than universal witness.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
I like God's internal stamp of approval and authentication of the 66 books of the Bible. He did this to prevent "tampering". (see my link at the very end if you don't want to read this).

The first 39 books of Isaiah in many ways parallel with the first 39 books of the OT. The last 27 books deal with grace and forgiveness and parallel in many ways with the NT while the first 39 deal with law and judgment.

Read Isaiah 40 and Matthew. Isaiah 66 and Revelation. Isaiah 1 and Genesis.

Here is Isaiah 66 and Revelation 21.

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Isa. [/background]66:1 [background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Thus saith the LORD, [/background]The heaven is my throne[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)], and the earth [/background]is[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] my footstool: where [/background]is[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] the house that ye build unto me? and where [/background]is[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] the place of my rest?[/background]
[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Rev. 4:2 And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and [one] sat on the throne.[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Isa. [/background]66:3-4[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] He that killeth an ox [/background]is as if[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] he slew a man; he that sacrificeth a lamb, [/background]as if[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] he cut off a dog's neck; he that offereth an oblation, [/background]as if he offered[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] swine's blood; he that burneth incense,[/background]as if[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] he blessed an idol. Yea,[/background] they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations. [background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because[/background]when I called, none did answer[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]; when I spake, they did not hear: but [/background]they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not.
[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Rev. 18: 4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
Rev.18: 7 How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she says in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow….9) And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her, and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning.[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Isa. [/background]66:6[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] A voice of noise from the city, [/background]a voice from the temple,[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] a voice of the LORD that rendereth recompense to his enemies.[/background]
[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Rev. 11:19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in His temple the ark of His testament: andthere were lightning’s, and voices, and thundering, and an earthquake, and great hail.
Rev 16:1 And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth. [/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Isa. [/background]66:7 [background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Before she [/background]travailed[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)], she brought forth; before her [/background]pain [background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]came, [/background]she was delivered of a man child[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)].[/background]
[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Rev. 12:2 And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered….. 5) And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and [to] His throne.[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Isa. [/background]66:12[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] For thus saith the LORD, Behold, [/background]I will extend peace to her like a river[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)], and [/background]the glory of the Gentiles like a flowing stream: [background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]then shall ye suck, ye shall be borne upon [/background]her[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] sides, and be dandled upon [/background]her[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] knees.[/background]
[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Rev.21:24 And thenations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honor into it.
Rev. 22:1 And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Isa. [/background]66:15[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] For, behold, the LORD will come [/background]with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind,[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire….16) [/background]For by fire[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and [/background]the slain of the LORD shall be many.
[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Rev.9:9 And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings [was] as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle….18)By thesethree was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths.[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Isa. [/background]66:18[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] For I [/background]know[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] their works and their thoughts: it shall come, that [/background]I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come, and see my glory.
[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Rev. 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Isa. 66:19 [/background][background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]And [/background]I will set a sign among them, [background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]and I will send those that escape of them unto the nations, [/background]to[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] Tarshish, Pul, and Lud, that draw the bow, [/background]to[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] Tubal, and Javan, [/background]to[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] the isles afar off, that have not heard my fame, neither have seen my glory; and they shall declare my glory among the Gentiles.[/background]
[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Rev.15:1 And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvelous, seven angels having the seven last plagues;for in them is filled up the wrath of God.[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Isa. [/background]66:22[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] For as [/background]the new heavens and the new earth[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)],[/background][background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.[/background]
[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Rev. 21:And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. [/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Isa [/background]66:23[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, [/background][background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]shall all flesh come to worship before me[/background][background=rgb(250, 250, 250)], saith the LORD.[/background]
[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Rev 15:4 Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest. [/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Isa. [/background]66:24[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] And they shall go forth, and look upon [/background]the carcases of the men [background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]that have transgressed [/background][background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]against me:[/background][background=rgb(250, 250, 250)] for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched[/background][background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.[/background]
[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Rev. 19:20-21 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophetthat wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. And the remnant were slain with the sword of Him that sat upon the horse, which [sword] proceeded out of his mouth (Jesus Christ): and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]In Isaiah 40:3 it says "The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God." [/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Then in the Bible's "40th" book and in "Chapter 3 verse 3" it says again;[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]"The voice of one crying in the wildereness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paaths straight." Matt.3:3[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]So therefore we can see here that the 66 book Protestant Bible Canon, although it was not changed or altered at all by anyone, came out with the Book of Matthew being the "40th" book. And the verse was again in the 3d verse.(as well as being in the 3d chapter!)[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]*-The 33rd and 34th chapters of Isaiah also match the 33rd and 34th Bible books of Micah and Nahum when examined.[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Isaiah 34:1 [/background]Come near, ye nations, to hear; and hearken, ye people: let the earth hear, and all that is therein; the world, and all things that come forth of it. For the of the LORD is upon all nations, and his fury upon all their armies: he hath utterly destroyed them, he hath delivered them to the slaughter.

Book 34 - Nahum 1:5 The mountains quake at him, and the hills melt, and the earth is burned at his presence, yea, the world, and all that dwell therein. Who can stand before his indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? his is poured out like fire, and the rocks are thrown down by him.

Isaiah 34:4 Their slain also shall be cast out, and their stink shall come up out of their, and the mountains shall be melted with their blood. And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling fig from the fig tree

Book 34 - Namum 3:3 The horseman lifteth up both the bright sword and the glittering spear: and there is a multitude of slain, and a great number of carcases; and there is none end of their corpses; they stumble upon their corpses: ... All thy strong holds shall be like fig trees with the firstripe figs: if they be shaken, they shall even fall into the mouth of the eater.

Here is a chart showing which chapter of Isaiah corresponds to which book of the Bible. Enjoy finding all the connections!
http://bibleprophecy...aiah/index.html

And best of all, here is a brother that is actually doing the work for you.
http://bibletracks.b...genesis_30.html

It figures as wise as God is that He would have His own internal stamp of authentication!

Axehead

SummaScriptura

Dec 12, 2008
I like God's internal stamp of approval and authentication of the 66 books of the Bible. He did this to prevent "tampering". (see my link at the very end if you don't want to read this).

The first 39 books of Isaiah in many ways parallel with the first 39 books of the OT. The last 27 books deal with grace and forgiveness and parallel in many ways with the NT while the first 39 deal with law and judgment.

Read Isaiah 40 and Matthew. Isaiah 66 and Revelation. Isaiah 1 and Genesis.

Here is Isaiah 66 and Revelation 21.

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Isa. [/background]66:1 [background=rgb(250,250,250)]Thus saith the LORD, [/background]The heaven is my throne[background=rgb(250,250,250)], and the earth [/background]is[background=rgb(250,250,250)] my footstool: where [/background]is[background=rgb(250,250,250)] the house that ye build unto me? and where [/background]is[background=rgb(250,250,250)] the place of my rest?[/background]
[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Rev. 4:2 And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and [one] sat on the throne.[/background]

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Isa. [/background]66:3-4[background=rgb(250,250,250)] He that killeth an ox [/background]is as if[background=rgb(250,250,250)] he slew a man; he that sacrificeth a lamb, [/background]as if[background=rgb(250,250,250)] he cut off a dog's neck; he that offereth an oblation, [/background]as if he offered[background=rgb(250,250,250)] swine's blood; he that burneth incense,[/background]as if[background=rgb(250,250,250)] he blessed an idol. Yea,[/background] they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations. [background=rgb(250,250,250)]I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because[/background]when I called, none did answer[background=rgb(250,250,250)]; when I spake, they did not hear: but [/background]they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not.
[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Rev. 18: 4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
Rev.18: 7 How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she says in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow….9) And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her, and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning.[/background]

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Isa. [/background]66:6[background=rgb(250,250,250)] A voice of noise from the city, [/background]a voice from the temple,[background=rgb(250,250,250)] a voice of the LORD that rendereth recompense to his enemies.[/background]
[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Rev. 11:19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in His temple the ark of His testament: andthere were lightning’s, and voices, and thundering, and an earthquake, and great hail.
Rev 16:1 And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth. [/background]

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Isa. [/background]66:7 [background=rgb(250,250,250)]Before she [/background]travailed[background=rgb(250,250,250)], she brought forth; before her [/background]pain [background=rgb(250,250,250)]came, [/background]she was delivered of a man child[background=rgb(250,250,250)].[/background]
[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Rev. 12:2 And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered….. 5) And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and [to] His throne.[/background]

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Isa. [/background]66:12[background=rgb(250,250,250)] For thus saith the LORD, Behold, [/background]I will extend peace to her like a river[background=rgb(250,250,250)], and [/background]the glory of the Gentiles like a flowing stream: [background=rgb(250,250,250)]then shall ye suck, ye shall be borne upon [/background]her[background=rgb(250,250,250)] sides, and be dandled upon [/background]her[background=rgb(250,250,250)] knees.[/background]
[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Rev.21:24 And thenations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honor into it.
Rev. 22:1 And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.[/background]

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Isa. [/background]66:15[background=rgb(250,250,250)] For, behold, the LORD will come [/background]with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind,[background=rgb(250,250,250)] to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire….16) [/background]For by fire[background=rgb(250,250,250)] and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and [/background]the slain of the LORD shall be many.
[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Rev.9:9 And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings [was] as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle….18)By thesethree was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths.[/background]

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Isa. [/background]66:18[background=rgb(250,250,250)] For I [/background]know[background=rgb(250,250,250)] their works and their thoughts: it shall come, that [/background]I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come, and see my glory.
[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Rev. 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,[/background]

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Isa. 66:19 [/background][background=rgb(250,250,250)]And [/background]I will set a sign among them, [background=rgb(250,250,250)]and I will send those that escape of them unto the nations, [/background]to[background=rgb(250,250,250)] Tarshish, Pul, and Lud, that draw the bow, [/background]to[background=rgb(250,250,250)] Tubal, and Javan, [/background]to[background=rgb(250,250,250)] the isles afar off, that have not heard my fame, neither have seen my glory; and they shall declare my glory among the Gentiles.[/background]
[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Rev.15:1 And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvelous, seven angels having the seven last plagues;for in them is filled up the wrath of God.[/background]

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Isa. [/background]66:22[background=rgb(250,250,250)] For as [/background]the new heavens and the new earth[background=rgb(250,250,250)],[/background][background=rgb(250,250,250)] which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.[/background]
[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Rev. 21:And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. [/background]

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Isa [/background]66:23[background=rgb(250,250,250)] And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, [/background][background=rgb(250,250,250)]shall all flesh come to worship before me[/background][background=rgb(250,250,250)], saith the LORD.[/background]
[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Rev 15:4 Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest. [/background]

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Isa. [/background]66:24[background=rgb(250,250,250)] And they shall go forth, and look upon [/background]the carcases of the men [background=rgb(250,250,250)]that have transgressed [/background][background=rgb(250,250,250)]against me:[/background][background=rgb(250,250,250)] for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched[/background][background=rgb(250,250,250)]; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.[/background]
[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Rev. 19:20-21 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophetthat wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. And the remnant were slain with the sword of Him that sat upon the horse, which [sword] proceeded out of his mouth (Jesus Christ): and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.[/background]

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]In Isaiah 40:3 it says "The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God." [/background]

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Then in the Bible's "40th" book and in "Chapter 3 verse 3" it says again;[/background]

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]"The voice of one crying in the wildereness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paaths straight." Matt.3:3[/background]

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]So therefore we can see here that the 66 book Protestant Bible Canon, although it was not changed or altered at all by anyone, came out with the Book of Matthew being the "40th" book. And the verse was again in the 3d verse.(as well as being in the 3d chapter!)[/background]

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]*-The 33rd and 34th chapters of Isaiah also match the 33rd and 34th Bible books of Micah and Nahum when examined.[/background]

[background=rgb(250,250,250)]Isaiah 34:1 [/background]Come near, ye nations, to hear; and hearken, ye people: let the earth hear, and all that is therein; the world, and all things that come forth of it. For the of the LORD is upon all nations, and his fury upon all their armies: he hath utterly destroyed them, he hath delivered them to the slaughter.

Book 34 - Nahum 1:5 The mountains quake at him, and the hills melt, and the earth is burned at his presence, yea, the world, and all that dwell therein. Who can stand before his indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? his is poured out like fire, and the rocks are thrown down by him.

Isaiah 34:4 Their slain also shall be cast out, and their stink shall come up out of their, and the mountains shall be melted with their blood. And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling fig from the fig tree

Book 34 - Namum 3:3 The horseman lifteth up both the bright sword and the glittering spear: and there is a multitude of slain, and a great number of carcases; and there is none end of their corpses; they stumble upon their corpses: ... All thy strong holds shall be like fig trees with the firstripe figs: if they be shaken, they shall even fall into the mouth of the eater.

Here is a chart showing which chapter of Isaiah corresponds to which book of the Bible. Enjoy finding all the connections!
http://bibleprophecy...aiah/index.html

And best of all, here is a brother that is actually doing the work for you.
http://bibletracks.b...genesis_30.html

It figures as wise as God is that He would have His own internal stamp of authentication!

Axehead
I can find these kind of parallels all day long. I have a one-year-bible which I refer to constantly. I am often shocked at how closely the different daily readings in Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs sychronize. Did the Holy Spirit inspire Tyndale House to divvy up the Bible in this just-so fashion? Did the Holy Spirit inspire the Biblical writers in the strategic placement of the narrative so that at a future time Tyndale House's hand would be forced to match synchronous passages even though the reading plan does not take content into account?

I'm sorry, but I just do not find attempts at Bible numerology convincing. I didn't buy the Bible Code. I don't buy Jewish gematria magical formulas. I don't but the "66-book magic number" scenarios people foist upon susperstitious minds.

By the way, Archbishop Stephen Langton divided the Bible inot chapters in the early 13th century AD. Did God have to wait 13 centuries to guide the hand of a Medieval European Catholic cleric to divide our Bibles into the chapters we use today? I ain't buying it.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Well, it is what it is. No numerology or Gematria involved at all. I don't subscribe to those methods of determining God's will and have never read the Bible Code.

Isaiah's 66 chapters are just straight parallels with no hocus-pocus involved.

Nothing to buy, because I am not selling anything. It is there for all to see. No fancy Gematria calculator needed.

Great chatting with you,
Axehead

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
So, is that how you avoid answering him?

The Book of Esther is not needed for salvation, right? Why is it even in the Bible?

Your logic is similar, though stated in a different way, "everything needed for salvation is in the copy of the Bible I bought at the store, so I don't need or want any other books!"

So, why precisely is the Song of Solomon necessary for salvation?

-- lol Enhance your calm Summa. It is none of your business how I answer Aspen - especially when you ask that way - but I will answer.
Aspen is playing "gotcha," and not looking for real answers. He already knows the answer to this.

The Bible isn't designed just to "get someone saved" and nothing else.
One would hope that you - as a Christian - would understand that. Am I right in assuming that is not the case?

On a related note, there is not now nor has there ever been a time when all Christians of orthodox faith everywhere agreed as to which books should be included in the Old Testament. There are at least five different lists of books included in the Old Testaments of all the orthodox Bibles in the world today. Why is yours the "right" one?

-- Why is it not?
Instead of standing on the sideline and launching snide questions, why not get in the game and justify YOUR decision.
Perhaps it will help someone else...

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, I do not know the answer to my question, Foreigner (how can I know why you accept specific books of the Bible?) that is why I asked. But if you are just going to resort to name calling, save it.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Hmmmmm....Aspen, what specific name did I call you? I must have missed it.

It appears I may have given you too much credit in assuming you already knew.

I said, basicallly, that the Bible will help you achieve and maintain salvation, grown in your knowledge and intimacy of God, and share Him with others in need.

Your question was then: "So if that is the case, why do you read any other books besides Luke, Acts, and perhaps Romans?"

The simple answer is because the rest of the books in the Bible not only re-enforces but GREATLY EXPAND and GREATLY INCREASE the knowledge of God and how to grow close to him and serve him, well beyond what is in just those three books.

It also helps Christians (and others) realize better the incredible depth of God and how we came to the place we are, needing Christ's forgiveness.

It also details history - warts and all - and shows others on an even greater scale that just because you are not a perfect person, that doesn't mean you are a failure in God's eyes.

It shows that not only appies to the fishermen mentioned in the N.T., but also to the kings of the O.T.

Indeed, the other books show many of those used mightily by God - detailed in both the O.T. and N.T. were the ones who had already fallen and failed - even after following God for a long period of time.

It also gives further guidelines/information on how to obey God's laws,
receive redemption,
avoid temptation,
fulfill what God has for you,
increase your intimacy with Him,
better understand the depth of His love,
deal with pain and disappointment,
find encouragement and inspiration. etc. etc. etc.

Let me know if you need me to expound further. I'm here for you...

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Here is the example of the ad hominem you requested, Foreigner.

-- Granted. You are correct.
I didn't see accusing you of being obtuse as actual name calling.
I was thinking more along the lines of "You Big Doo-Doo Head."

You have shown you read the first line of my last post, but how about the rest.
You know, where I actually answer your question....

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmmmm....Aspen, what specific name did I call you? I must have missed it.

It appears I may have given you too much credit in assuming you already knew.

More ad hominem

I said, basicallly, that the Bible will help you achieve and maintain salvation, grown in your knowledge and intimacy of God, and share Him with others in need.

Yes - all of this is true, but it is not exclusive to the Bible. Thomas Kempis' "The Imitation of Christ" also fits this description, for example.

Your question was then: "So if that is the case, why do you read any other books besides Luke, Acts, and perhaps Romans?"

The simple answer is because the rest of the books in the Bible not only re-enforces but GREATLY EXPAND and GREATLY INCREASE the knowledge of God and how to grow close to him and serve him, well beyond what is in just those three books.

So does the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas.

It also helps Christians (and others) realize better the incredible depth of God and how we came to the place we are, needing Christ's forgiveness.

Indeed. So does Metchild of Magdenburg's "Flowing of the Godhead".

It also details history - warts and all - and shows others on an even greater scale that just because you are not a perfect person, that doesn't mean you are a failure in God's eyes.

Absolutely, so does the Brother Lawrence in "The Practice of the Presence of God".

It shows that not only appies to the fishermen mentioned in the N.T., but also to the kings of the O.T.

Yep - just like Catherine of Siena's "Dialogue".

Indeed, the other books show many of those used mightily by God - detailed in both the O.T. and N.T. were the ones who had already fallen and failed - even after following God for a long period of time.

It also gives further guidelines/information on how to obey God's laws,
receive redemption,
avoid temptation,
fulfill what God has for you,
increase your intimacy with Him,
better understand the depth of His love,
deal with pain and disappointment,
find encouragement and inspiration. etc. etc. etc.

Let me know if you need me to expound further. I'm here for you...

As do countless classic Christian works over the past two centuries. Although heartfelt and sincere, nothing you have mentioned is exclusive to the other book of the NT.